Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
A lot happens in the second movie, if you aren't paying attention it flies by so quick that you get lost.

Also I want to complain about the first movie: The scene with the training scores is so annoying to me. She shoots like 15 arrows in the book and the judges do not watch any. In the movie she shoots two shots, one like a complete amateur. It was such a missed opportunity, one that explains so much with so little which is perfect for a movie, and I feel the second movie had less of those even though it increased complexity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Stereotype posted:

A lot happens in the second movie, if you aren't paying attention it flies by so quick that you get lost.

Also I want to complain about the first movie: The scene with the training scores is so annoying to me. She shoots like 15 arrows in the book and the judges do not watch any. In the movie she shoots two shots, one like a complete amateur. It was such a missed opportunity, one that explains so much with so little which is perfect for a movie, and I feel the second movie had less of those even though it increased complexity.

That scene was my favorite from the first movie. Having not read the books, when it came to the individual assessments I was thinking "There is no way they can top the first film." The idea Katniss came up with was even better than in the original, but the execution of the scene was worse.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they even mention the score that she got in the second one? Because it seems like the face she got a ridiculously low score was mildly relevant to "the Capitol is really trying to screw you over."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I don't remember if it was in the movie, but she actually got the highest score possible because the Capitol was trying to encourage the other tributes to take her out as soon as possible.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Hazo posted:

I don't remember if it was in the movie, but she actually got the highest score possible because the Capitol was trying to encourage the other tributes to take her out as soon as possible.

Yeah, they both got 12s as ways to have targets painted on their backs.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

GORDON posted:

Did they see the first movie?

I read the books, my wife didn't, and she had no problem following what was happening. She isn't of superhuman intellect, or anything. These movies are made so young teens can follow along.... how old are your friends who couldn't follow what was happening?

I saw the first movie, never read the books. It's easy enough to follow, but small stuff like what a Mockingjay is (or what it is used for) and the three finger salute are never explained. So the bird dress reveal didn't do anything special for me. A friend who had read the books explained that it was supposed to be bad-rear end, so yeah, missed effect.
Also, I had no idea there was food shortage in Katniss home town...

So yeah, the overall story is easy enough to follow, but little details which make it much better are totally lost on the people who haven't read the books.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Punc posted:

I saw the first movie, never read the books. It's easy enough to follow, but small stuff like what a Mockingjay is (or what it is used for) and the three finger salute are never explained. So the bird dress reveal didn't do anything special for me. A friend who had read the books explained that it was supposed to be bad-rear end, so yeah, missed effect.

So yeah, the overall story is easy enough to follow, but little details which make it much better are totally lost on the people who haven't read the books.

Rue shows Katniss how to use mockingjays as a natural signaling method in the first movie.

Pretty sure the salute shows up there somewhere as well.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Krowley posted:

Rue shows Katniss how to use mockingjays as a natural signaling method in the first movie.

Pretty sure the salute shows up there somewhere as well.

Do they go into the symbolic importance of the mockingjay though? http://thehungergames.wikia.com/wiki/Mockingjay_(bird) describes the history of the animal (some minor spoilers for later books) and it's place as a symbol of rebellion and resistance. I don't recall if the films really made that clear

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

Do they go into the symbolic importance of the mockingjay though? http://thehungergames.wikia.com/wiki/Mockingjay_(bird) describes the history of the animal (some minor spoilers for later books) and it's place as a symbol of rebellion and resistance. I don't recall if the films really made that clear

Nope, novels will always have more room for indepth stuff like that, but watching the two movies more or less back to back I didn't notice any obvious lack of context or clarity for anything important.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I haven't read the books either, but watching both movies I was able to pick up just fine the importance of the salute. I didn't get all of the significance of the Mockingjay, though- I kind of thought it was becoming a representation of Katniss' rebellion. Of course, in retrospect the broach and graffiti in the tunnel hints at something more.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The salute/mocking jay works 100% fine taken simply as a symbol of Katniss's defiance. The book's World Building/technobabble isn't needed.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Punc posted:

In the first movie the guy gives Katniss a small dinner roll, and she has an orgasm and asks if it is real.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

GORDON posted:

In the first movie the guy gives Katniss a small dinner roll, and she has an orgasm and asks if it is real.

O, totally forgot about that. It has been awhile since I watched the first one, my bad.

Chieves posted:

I haven't read the books either, but watching both movies I was able to pick up just fine the importance of the salute. I didn't get all of the significance of the Mockingjay, though- I kind of thought it was becoming a representation of Katniss' rebellion. Of course, in retrospect the broach and graffiti in the tunnel hints at something more.

The broach in particular annoyed me in the first movie. It's obviously something bad, since the President looks all evil-eyed when he spots Katniss wearing it, but they never explain why it pisses him off.
Like as you said, it's clear that it is supposed to annoy the government in that it is a symbol for Katniss, it just doesn't have any other meaning in the movies (so far).

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Timeless Appeal posted:

...really didn't know what District 13 was because they barely touch on it.

I really don't get this, because even aside from the couple of mentions of District 13, there are tons of mentions of the fact that there are twelve districts. Even if they'd never mentioned District 13 at all, hell, especially if they hadn't, the reveal of District 13 would be something to note. Unless this viewer somehow missed the spectacular amount of signals that the Capitol lies to its citizens and those of the districts all of the goddamn time.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
"Award-winning Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead in Manhattan Apartment, Law-Enforcement Official Said"

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Uh, holy poo poo.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

loving heroin. I know it's a completely baseless assertion at this point, but we know that was his issue recently. And it wouldn't be the first time that an addict ODed shortly after leaving rehab. Tolerance is lowered, etc.

Whether it was drugs, ebola, or natural causes though, god dammit. He seemed like a really cool guy and obviously was a great actor.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I feel kind of weird that one of my thoughts after hearing it (after HOLY gently caress NO) was "guess Hunger Games 3/4 is boned"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I feel kind of weird that one of my thoughts after hearing it (after HOLY gently caress NO) was "guess Hunger Games 3/4 is boned"

They're apparently done with Part 1 of Mockingjay and they were still filming Part 2 but maybe his parts are done.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Eh, lot of people thought that about Walker/FF7

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Philip Seymour Hoffman was a real good actor. It's sad that we won't get to see him on the big screen anymore. :( He was only 46 too.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CGI, baby. Anything's possible.

I said come in! posted:

Philip Seymour Hoffman was a real good actor. It's sad that we won't get to see him on the big screen anymore. :( He was only 46 too.

He's a good actor but he's been fat and sweaty and red-faced in everything for like 20 years, Gandolfini kicked the bucket when he was only 5 years older and he didn't even have drugs as an excuse. :(

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

Geno posted:

Eh, lot of people thought that about Walker/FF7

Yea, but FF7 isn't based off of an already existing story-line. It's easier for them to write out Walker because Brian O'Connor was fabricated for the screen.

That being said, I think Plutarch's role is easily enough redistributed in Mockingjay Part 2. They could just choose to omit him being appointed at the end of the film, or make it a shot that doesn't involve the actor being shown while his position is announced. The propaganda scenes could also be sidestepped.

It's still really sad though. Drug-addiction is a scary, scary thing. :(

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, heroin addiction is a bitch. It affects you less and less, so you take more, and then you're dead.

Too bad. I really liked him in Capote.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Really weird because I saw that on Twitter, saw how recent and brief of a post it was and googled for other sources. It's not coming up now (probably because this has since spread to pretty much every other news source) but the only related result was some weird post about how he was 'the victim of an actor death hoax' in January 2014 and there was even some note dated yesterday that police had confirmed he was alive and well. Really odd, and very sad. I do wonder how this is going to affect the Hunger Games movies, only because it's such a strange situation when an actor dies in the middle of a project.

46 is way too young to go :smith:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I don't think it will have much of an impact on the movie(s). They pulled it off with a major character in the Harry Potter movies (IMO the replacement was better for the role than the originator). The Matrix too, though they had an easy way to work around it. There will be plenty of publicity and fans will go in knowing about the change and the character well enough that it won't matter much if at all.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Lionsgate statement says Hoffman had a week or less on the schedule, release date won't be impacted. The film will remain largely unaffected.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/philip-seymour-hoffman-dead-hunger-games-mockingjay-lionsgate/

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So in a state of frenzy, I decided to read the Hunger Games trilogy. What a fun ride! But I am left wondering how the hell they will be able to make the third book into an interesting film. It may just be me, but I found the start of the third book very, very boring. While the first two books and films had the story setting up their journey into the arena which was quite exciting because we get to learn how truly hosed up Panem society is, the third one is just Katniss missing Peeta but being very confused if she actually loves him or Gale, having PTSD, doing alright work as the symbol of the rebellion because there's a film crew following her on the journey and so on. I'm not sure how exciting a film like that can be for the audience which, for the most part and as I see it, likes the movies because of Peeta, Gale and the arena fighting.

Then again, If made right, Katniss' journey to become the mockingjay can be exciting if done right, but I'm not sure how. I got a feeling that the last movies are going to end up feeling very flat. And if the very end of the movies end up similarly to the end of Mockingjay, the audience should brace themselves for a mindfuck because god drat Katniss as a person is completely broken by then. And I wonder if they will include the rebels shooting on the civillians and bombing the poo poo out of a crowd of children.

RIP, Philip. :smith:

Edit: Oh and I hope that we get to see more of Effie in the movies. She's by far my favorite character in both the books and movies, and seeing so little of her in the third book made it even more boring.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 3, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, I was not expecting Catching Fire to be such a hugely better film than The Hunger Games. The reviews certainly indicate a superiority, but I don't think I've been this avid about a sequel since seeing Wrath of the Titans. The Hunger Games is an exercise in ugly filmmaking causing an already pedestrian adaptation to just not work. The only think that kept me from completely hating The Hunger Games was Jennifer Lawrence's performance. The two problems I had were that there was virtually no real characterization outside of Katniss. And the violence is portrayed as shocking for its own worth, without any logic behind it. Sloppy storytelling, regardless of what the source material is, which seems to be mostly from Katniss' perspective.

Catching Fire creates an entire world. Even minor characters get a sense of humanity. You can feel the terror. At the same time, this wonderful balance between the shocks and relief. Even the love triangle could have been groan-worthy, yet it works. On top of that, there's this dreadful feeling of a horrible society that's ridiculous that seeps through. It has the same sense of terror as Brazil. I also liked the way the pacing allowed for some humor to take the edge off the more graphic moments. This is a living, breathing dystopia. Most of the supporting characters get so much depth that was lacking in the previous films. I loved Lynn Cohen's pantomime acting as Megs (the oldest tribute), especially her sacrifice in the fog. Talk about making the most out of a small role! Are there still flaws? I felt like a few bits of plot were unclear and probably would make sense more had I read the book.

On the technical end, I can't get over how stunning the lighting and camera work is on the film. I sensed a bit of editing tricks to subdue violence for ratings' sake, but this is a great looking film.

Maybe I'm overenthusiastic since I disliked the previous film so much, but this is both quality filmmaking and storytelling. I'm looking forward to the next installment(s).

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Looks like they're going ahead with digitally recreating Hoffman to complete his unfilmed scenes.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/06/hoffman-to-be-digitally-inserted-into-new-hunger-games/

I'm kinda wary on how this is going to look. People mentioned Oliver Reed being CGI'd in but I haven't seen Gladiator for years.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yaws posted:

Looks like they're going ahead with digitally recreating Hoffman to complete his unfilmed scenes.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/06/hoffman-to-be-digitally-inserted-into-new-hunger-games/

I'm kinda wary on how this is going to look. People mentioned Oliver Reed being CGI'd in but I haven't seen Gladiator for years.

As I recall they didn't CGI Oliver Reed, but they did use creative editing and used some audio from previously recorded scenes for his voice when his character was off camera.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They did something like that in The Sopranos with Tony's mom. It cost 6 figures and looked terrible. But that was like 10 years ago.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Don't forget all the workarounds in Game of Death, and of course Fake Shemp.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Yaws posted:

This is gonna suck so hard. There's no way they can faithfully recreate one of the greatest actors in our time by using computer diddlery. Might as well just hire an impersonator at that point.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Krowley posted:

This is gonna suck so hard. There's no way they can faithfully recreate one of the greatest actors in our time by using computer diddlery. Might as well just hire an impersonator at that point.

They almost certainly will and then use digital masking to put Hoffman's face on him. Doing it any other way would be incredibly stupid.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Just get Tom Cruise to put on his Philip Seymour Hoffman mask again. Problem solved. :colbert:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Just watched it, liked it. I don't really have any critiques vs the books, except the general wishing that they kept some parts in.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's funny people just mention the Helicopter lift as the 'Christ scene' when it's actually a rather detailed subplot of the film, at least as soon as the Game begins.

The game literally begins with Katniss and co standing on top of water. After which, she makes an alliance with the crippled and the insane (though the latter they meet later she still chose her as an ally).

Later on, Katniss can be seen baptizing herself and Peeta from the poison of sin/gas. After they make it to the beach, she even baptizes the aforementioned insane woman, to which she receives a sign from God (the so called "Clockmaker of the Universe" according to some interpretations).

Finally, after she wakes up, she sees her enemy (PSH), her friends allying themselves with that enemy, and her love seemingly betrayed by her friends. This to her is Hell, and she wants out. She wants justice, but instead she collapses (after being speared, an allusion to the Holy Lance).

When she wakes up for the second time, she's informed that she was out for "a few days" (3?), and she has been metaphorically risen from the dead, to fight injustice (at least as she sees it) with the power of faith from the distraught populace).

There's also other stuff like lightning being the traditional representation of God's power (from Zeus to Jehova), but you get the picture.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 31, 2014

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

computer parts posted:

It's funny people just mention the Helicopter lift as the 'Christ scene' when it's actually a rather detailed subplot of the film, at least as soon as the Game begins.

The game literally begins with Katniss and co standing on top of water. After which, she makes an alliance with the crippled and the insane (though the latter they meet later she still chose her as an ally).

Later on, Katniss can be seen baptizing herself and Peeta from the poison of sin/gas. After they make it to the beach, she even baptizes the aforementioned insane woman, to which she receives a sign from God (the so called "Clockmaker of the Universe" according to some interpretations).

Finally, after she wakes up, she sees her enemy (PSH), her friends allying themselves with that enemy, and her love seemingly betrayed by her friends. This to her is Hell, and she wants out. She wants justice, but instead she collapses (after being speared, an allusion to the Holy Lance).

When she wakes up for the second time, she's informed that she was out for "a few days" (3?), and she has been metaphorically risen from the dead, to fight injustice (at least as she sees it) with the power of faith from the distraught populace).

There's also other stuff like lightning being the traditional representation of God's power (from Zeus to Jehova), but you get the picture.

:eyetwitch:

Well I can't wait to see what you have in store for the third movie...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snak posted:

They almost certainly will and then use digital masking to put Hoffman's face on him. Doing it any other way would be incredibly stupid.

Yeah even The Crow has a few shots of a stuntman with Brandon Lee's face digitally plastered over his and they look fine. I can't imagine they'd go with an all CG effect instead of just doing that. Or they could just recast the role with Frank Conniff and many viewers wouldn't even notice.

• Locked thread