Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

For God's sake why? Capacity/enlargement issues at Piccadilly (couldn't they rebuild the closed station across from Piccadilly or something)? Airport accessibility? Sheer perversity?

Your mistake is thinking of Manchester as its own city rather than an extra airport for London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jammyozzy posted:

This is the dumbest thing I've read today (so far), is there a good reason for that or are the various committees involved not talking to each other?

They've just spent 5 years and a couple of hundred million extending the platforms for HS1, and there's no real way to connect HS2 to those platforms without causing much more damage to north London than extending Euston would (and shutting the whole station down for a few years), and building new platforms at St. Pancras is basically impossible.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
If it went to massively underused Straford international, it would provide direct connection to the continent without all the demolition (assuming they put that link underground).

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
I think its pretty certain that at some point HS2 will connect to HS1, It just isn't being included in the initial construction. Once HS2 is finished it would be very hard to argue against connecting the two.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nozz posted:

I think its pretty certain that at some point HS2 will connect to HS1, It just isn't being included in the initial construction. Once HS2 is finished it would be very hard to argue against connecting the two.

Well the connection can be outside central London (I believe there are reserved routes at Barking for exactly that), because the advantage of connecting them is going HS2-Europe, and meandering through London is pointless for that.

Metrication posted:

If it went to massively underused Straford international, it would provide direct connection to the continent without all the demolition (assuming they put that link underground).

Stratford's too small to be a terminus, although at least one justification for its existence is it can be used as a London stop on a future direct service from HS2 to the continent. There's a proposal for a direct Stratford-Europe service too (for travelers going to the City or Canary Wharf it would shave 20ish minutes off the journey).

Speaking of which, does anyone know what happened to the direct London to not-France/not-Belgium service we were supposed to be getting? It seems ridiculous that we've spent all this money to just be able to go to Paris and the two dullest cities in Rurope. I mean if they could at least sync up the services so you don't have to kick your heels for an hour in Brussels before getting on another high-speed service to Holland or Germany that would be nice but oh yeah private sector efficiency.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

coffeetable posted:

Your mistake is thinking of Manchester as its own city rather than an extra airport for London.

Don't let RyanAir hear you. Manchester will be 'London North Airport' (like Brussels South).

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Jeoh posted:

Don't let RyanAir hear you. Manchester will be 'London North Airport' (like Brussels South).

We already have eight London airports as it is. My favourite is London Oxford.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The dream of the Tories: London Manchester. London Edinburgh. London Dublin. Everything London :britain:

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

ellspurs posted:

You get the wonderful Midland Metro which they're extending through Birmingham City Centre to New Street station...

Ah yes, the wonderful Midland Metro that isn't working half the time because either someone stole a cable or the tram ran into a car on the street running bit in Wolverhampton! The very same Midland Metro that had big plans of being the Midlands version of Metrolink yet, out of all the wonderful new lines that were going to be built, only the Birmingham extension has actually gone ahead.

Then again, the main reason why I don't like it is because they don't accept £20 notes as payment anymore. t:mad:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

TfL want a fat bunch of zone one - zone one fares from lazy fucks and people too stupid to realise the stations are 100 metres apart?

To be fair to them, if you look at any of the post-current-expansions tube map mock ups they've done they show Euston / King's X / St Pancras as one linked station a la Bank / Monument. So really you'd have to be wilfully ignorant to take the tube between the two then.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know what happened to the direct London to not-France/not-Belgium service we were supposed to be getting? It seems ridiculous that we've spent all this money to just be able to go to Paris and the two dullest cities in Rurope. I mean if they could at least sync up the services so you don't have to kick your heels for an hour in Brussels before getting on another high-speed service to Holland or Germany that would be nice but oh yeah private sector efficiency.

the dutsche bahn direct train london to frankfurt via cologne and amsterdam via rotterdam (splits at brussels so make sure you're in the right seat) is still planned to launch in 2016.

direct trains for lyon, marseille and geneva supposedly to follow within 5 years of that (don't hold your breath).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well the connection can be outside central London (I believe there are reserved routes at Barking for exactly that)

Did I read somewhere that the plan is (or was at one time) to do a chord from somewhere outside St Pancras to the new Old Oak Common station, which in fifteen years' time will have an interchange with basically everything else?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

the dutsche bahn direct train london to frankfurt via cologne and amsterdam via rotterdam (splits at brussels so make sure you're in the right seat) is still planned to launch in 2016.

direct trains for lyon, marseille and geneva supposedly to follow within 5 years of that (don't hold your breath).

Oh okay - the last I'd heard was in early 2012 that it was definitely going to happen by Sports Day and then it didn't, so I assumed it had been shelved forever. Weren't Air France looking at replacing some of their flights with train journeys too?

I know it'll never happen for all sorts of dumb (and non-dumb) reasons but I wish the EU would just step in and knock everyones heads together and say "Right this is how we're going to do rail now" so we could actually have a proper network and I could just jump a train from London to Rome or wherever.

(Also can you split high speed trains? How does that work?)

Anemone Mine
Dec 30, 2010

Lofty132 posted:

Is it true that they want HS2 to go into Euston despite it being a logistical nightmare? It would make more sense to go to St Pancras, surely?

Also heard they want it to go direct to Manchester Airport as opposed to Picadilly.

Come on guys; I know you hate development, hate London because it gets development money and hate this development because it will link you to London but HS2 aren't that retarded.

edit. St Pancras and Kings Cross have just finished long and expensive redevelopments/renovations while Euston is ripe for redevelopment.

Anemone Mine fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 5, 2014

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh okay - the last I'd heard was in early 2012 that it was definitely going to happen by Sports Day and then it didn't, so I assumed it had been shelved forever. Weren't Air France looking at replacing some of their flights with train journeys too?

I know it'll never happen for all sorts of dumb (and non-dumb) reasons but I wish the EU would just step in and knock everyones heads together and say "Right this is how we're going to do rail now" so we could actually have a proper network and I could just jump a train from London to Rome or wherever.

The EU have tried to do this with the all consuming power of "the markets" via EU Directive 91/440 (the so called privatisation directive, but that is a very British misinterpretation).

As ETCS technology grows in maturity and the requirements of interoperability are better applied, we should see more inyer-European rail growth.

The major issue in the UK is that our loading gauge is so restrictive relative to everyone else's, so the network needs a major overhaul if very high speed rail is to become the norm.

I use the correct term here because the UK has plenty of high speed (200kph) capable lines and run far more complex and dense train services on them than our neighbours.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it's just two complete trains coupled together for one leg of the journey. so you wouldn't be able to walk through from the germany carriages to the netherlands carriages.

i think the air france thing was just crazy rumours.

if part of your EU knocking heads together would be to force everyone on the atlantic archipelago to join Schengen so we wouldn't have to waste so much 'upgrading' stations to include border controls every time you wanted to add a new route that'd be just super.

best reason to vote yes in September is the sudden massive increase in inter EU rail services that it'll generate without anyone having to life a finger.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Bizarre article in the torygraph today from Boris Johnson (not my copy) where he decries railway nationalisation (and rent control) but goes on to say how successful London Overground is. LO effectively is nationalisation.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Anemone Mine posted:

Come on guys; I know you hate development, hate London because it gets development money and hate this development because it will link you to London but HS2 aren't that retarded.

edit. St Pancras and Kings Cross have just finished long and expensive redevelopments/renovations while Euston is ripe for redevelopment.

Private Eye floated the idea that the route still performs that weird slow curve in the direction of Liverpool, (despite not connecting Liverpool properly) before the sharp dogleg towards Manchester Airport: so that it can avoid going through George Osborne's Tatton constituency and irking the NIMBYs. I have no idea if this is the case but the thought of national infrastructure being bent for petty personal reasons is so deliciously British.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

What's with the HS2 lines joining the ECML and WCML at the at the northernmost ends? Is the plan for high speed trains to continue on up the old tracks to Glasgow/Edinburgh at normal speed?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Crucial posted:

What's with the HS2 lines joining the ECML and WCML at the at the northernmost ends? Is the plan for high speed trains to continue on up the old tracks to Glasgow/Edinburgh at normal speed?

Most high speed trains won't be able to do that, due being built to European loading gauges, but some trainsets will be available that can run through taking advantage of what should be less congested HS2 tracks as an express route.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Install Windows posted:

Most high speed trains won't be able to do that, due being built to European loading gauges, but some trainsets will be available that can run through taking advantage of what should be less congested HS2 tracks as an express route.

fishmech you're a brit :psyduck:

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Install Windows posted:

Also gives access for engineering trains and any other flexibility you might need.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So can anyone field a question about rail cards because since January I have been getting the runaround from everyone. Last year I received a gold rail card and merrily used it to get cheap colchester returns with first class 5 quid each way, then in January everyone at liv street suddenly found themselves amnesiac about the upgrade telling me I had to get it from a conductor. However every conductor I have asked about it now has given a varied answer from I have no idea what you are talking about to knowing what it is but saying they can't supply it as it is a penalty area to issuing me with one easily.

Now the ticket I got 20 minutes ago, the issuer said I had to specify the return leg of my journey for the upgrade which I have never had to so before, I could just get an open return. For added confusion the national rail helpline says I can get it at either the point of issue or a conductor so I as horribly confused.

Basically if anyone can explain what is going on and what the truth of the matter is that would be grand. If no one can just consider this an example of the fantastic ticket policies of privatised rail.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I can't help since we don't have those railcards in my area, but was the railcard itself not supplied with literature? What you need is literature to support your argument, I'd also write to the relevant TOC and complain as I'd imagine they would at least clear things up for you in black and white, usually they dish out free travel vouchers if you have been left out of pocket by their idiocy.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Stormgale posted:

So can anyone field a question about rail cards because since January I have been getting the runaround from everyone. Last year I received a gold rail card and merrily used it to get cheap colchester returns with first class 5 quid each way, then in January everyone at liv street suddenly found themselves amnesiac about the upgrade telling me I had to get it from a conductor. However every conductor I have asked about it now has given a varied answer from I have no idea what you are talking about to knowing what it is but saying they can't supply it as it is a penalty area to issuing me with one easily.

Now the ticket I got 20 minutes ago, the issuer said I had to specify the return leg of my journey for the upgrade which I have never had to so before, I could just get an open return. For added confusion the national rail helpline says I can get it at either the point of issue or a conductor so I as horribly confused.

Basically if anyone can explain what is going on and what the truth of the matter is that would be grand. If no one can just consider this an example of the fantastic ticket policies of privatised rail.

On my phone but Google Gold Card First Supplement to get the information. Sounds like you're being done here.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Bozza posted:

On my phone but Google Gold Card First Supplement to get the information. Sounds like you're being done here.

:google: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46557.aspx#Gold_Card_First_Supplement

National Rail Enquiries posted:

Gold Cards may be able to benefit from the Gold Card First Supplement, if they are not travelling on the journey covered by their Annual Gold Card Season Ticket or Travelcard.

Holders of Annual Gold Cards Season Tickets and Travelcards may buy a special First Class upgrade for £5.00 (children £2.50) when travelling on a Standard Class ticket which has received an Annual Gold Card discount.

This allows travel in First Class accommodation on trains within the Network Railcard area on for the date shown on the supplement ticket. If the return journey is made on another day, a further Supplement ticket must be purchased.
On Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays you may travel in First Accommodation by simply paying the supplement.
The Gold Card First Supplement ticket may be used in First Class after 1000 Monday to Friday and at any time on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. In addition, the Gold Card First Supplement cannot be used on journeys departing from any London terminal station or any intermediate journey between London and Clapham Junction inclusive between 1600 and 1900 (inclusive) Mondays to Fridays (except public holidays).

Gold Card First Supplement tickets are not valid for travel on services operated by CrossCountry, East Coast, East Midlands Trains (Mainline), Heathrow Express and Virgin Trains.

Yeah they shouldn't be asking you about buying a return as you don't need one yet. That's weird. Also holy poo poo look what's happening in Wales

NRE posted:

05:32 Holyhead to Cardiff Central 18:21 Cardiff Central to Holyhead
First Class passengers will be treated to a complimentary cooked breakfast on the morning service and a three course meal on the north bound service in the evening
:drat:

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Also holy poo poo look what's happening in Wales

Hang on, is this only if you go from Holyhead to Cardiff, cos that is an absolute mission of a train, 4 1/2 hours I think as you have to go via Chester.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Anemone Mine posted:

See I thought they meant HS2 would stop at Manchester Airport instead of Manchester Piccadilly. This way it actually makes sense to connect to Manchester Airport.

Look, I spent seven years in Manchester as a history grad student, I take Manchester-London rail connections very seriously. You would too if the best way to visit archives was the 5:05 Pendolino from Piccadilly.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Let's all laugh at the French today.

But at least they've got this much right:

quote:

Transport Minister Frederic Cuvillier blamed an "absurd rail system" for the problems.

"When you separate the rail operator from the train company," he said, "this is what happens."

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

:google: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46557.aspx#Gold_Card_First_Supplement

Yeah they shouldn't be asking you about buying a return as you don't need one yet. That's weird. Also holy poo poo look what's happening in Wales

It's not that they were asking me about buying a return, it was up until literally the last one I bought, I could buy an open return with the supplement for both journeys (back and forth) but the guy I bought one from on monday said I had to specify My date back.

The secondary problem which neither of those websites rectify (I had them as print outs for boarding trains to explain that yes this ticket actually exists) is if I have to buy it before boarding or from the conductor: Liverpool street said conductor, Conductors say Before boarding and the national Rail Helpline say both. (Colchester station staff actually know how to do it so I usually get my tickets from there on my way back each time)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

On further Camden HS2 news. I got a conservative pamphlet with an HS2 "Referendum" card attached to it. Apparently this got kicked off last month but they posted it through to people near where I live last week, presumably for it to be closer to the local elections so that they get to show off them taking action for the borough.

The main talking points on it are how this will affect property prices in Camden and noise and air pollution during construction. To not seem totally partial it does also have one small paragraph mentioning that people elsewhere might benefit from better transport links.

http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2014/apr/tories-launch-unprecedented-local-referendum-hs2-70000-vote-cards

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Hooray, Worst Capital Connect are finally being put out of their misery http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/passenger/single-view/view/govia-wins-thameslink-southern-great-northern-rail-franchise.html

quote:

Govia wins Thameslink, Southern & Great Northern rail franchise

UK: The Department of Transport announced on May 23 that it had selected Govia to operate the future Thameslink, Southern & Great Northern passenger franchise.

Covering regional and commuter services into London in an area bounded by King's Lynn, Cambridge, Peterborough, Bedford, Southampton, Brighton and Ashford, TSGN will be the UK's largest franchise in terms of passenger numbers, trains, revenue and staff, with the current operations carrying 273m passengers/year, having 6 500 staff and generating passenger revenue of £1·3bn.

The TSGN franchise will include:
  • 150 new metro-style EMU cars to replace the existing 1970s stock on commuter services into London's Moorgate station;
  • A new fleet of 108 coaches 'designed for airline travellers' to be introduced on Gatwick Express airport services by 2016;
  • Introduction into service in 2016-18 of the 1 140 Class 700 EMU cars which Siemens is currently building for Thameslink services;
  • Additional direct services to Gatwick airport, including a through Cambridge - Brighton service;
  • £50m to be spent improving 239 stations;
  • The 100 busiest stations staffed from first to last train;
  • Free wi-fi at 104 stations.
  • The Thameslink brand is to be re-introduced, and Southern and Gatwick Express brands retained.

Financial details
The franchise is being let as a management contract, with ticket revenue to be passed directly to the government rather than retained by the operator. This reflects the complexity and scale of the Thameslink Programme route upgrade.

Passenger revenue is estimated at £12·4bn over the life of the franchise. Franchise payments from the DfT to Govia amount to an estimated £8·9bn to reflect operating costs and a small margin allowance. The net present value of the franchise payments is estimated to be around £6·8bn. Govia's target operating profit margins average 3% over the life of the franchise including an estimated annual non-cash margin impact of 1% for pension costs.

The incentive regime will be based on service quality targets including punctuality, customer experience and revenue protection. In addition, Govia can achieve up to £25m for delivery of key performance milestones in the Thameslink Programme.

Govia will procure around £430m of investment and £40m of capital expenditure will be made by Govia directly, mostly in the first two years.

Shortlist
The shortlisted bidders for the contract were Abellio, First Group, Govia, MTR and Stagecoach.

FirstGroup CEO Tim O'Toole said he was disappointed that FirstGroup's bid was not successful, but this 'does not alter our stated medium-term targets. Going forward the Group is currently shortlisted for a number of other rail franchises and will participate in a range of competitions with the objective of achieving earnings on a par with the last round of franchising, with an acceptable level of risk.'

Dunno why they're not giving the Northern City line to London Overground but it's probably got something to do with Boris being a poo poo.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Northern City trains currently finish at Letchworth and Welwyn. I can see why some people might think that's a bit far for "London" Overground, especially after the squabbling over TFL having trains go to Shenfield and Reading. (They're wrong, but it's easy to see where the argument comes from.)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Imagine running a huge rail franchise for 8 years without having enough train drivers.

Wish they would just take the Wimbledon loop into Overground and cut it off at Blackfriars.

Is the current franchise a management contracts? What does this entail exactly?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

east london line closed this weekend for platform extensions. so walking tours of the thames tunnel.

can now cross 'touched the third rail' off my bucket list

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Metrication posted:

Imagine running a huge rail franchise for 8 years without having enough train drivers.

A lot of franchises seem to constantly need qualified drivers. I know in the north, Workington Northern Rail depot suffers from a high turnover, people from away will get a trainee job there and then leave as soon as they can get a move, leaving them forever short.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Cerv posted:

east london line closed this weekend for platform extensions. so walking tours of the thames tunnel.

can now cross 'touched the third rail' off my bucket list

Went for that yesterday, Rotherhithe-Wapping through Brunel's first underwater tunnel. The guide was absolutely terrible, so it's a good job I was with the guy who runs London Reconnections and had the Chief of the Overground telling the back of the tour all these awesome stories associated with it.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Northern City trains currently finish at Letchworth and Welwyn. I can see why some people might think that's a bit far for "London" Overground, especially after the squabbling over TFL having trains go to Shenfield and Reading. (They're wrong, but it's easy to see where the argument comes from.)

Yeah I suppose so, but soon this

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Yeah I suppose so, but soon this

Cheshunt is only a couple of kilometres outside the GLA boundary, like the other out of London Overground stations (and Chingford is just inside).

With Crossrail it makes sense because it's a regional network as opposed to a local one. What would make a lot of sense is to rebrand parts of Thameslink as Crossrail 2 or something like that and put it under TfL control (Sevenoaks to Luton etc, or even Luton Airport Parkway to Gatwick would work), then put a cut off loop under the Overground brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Lofty132 posted:

A lot of franchises seem to constantly need qualified drivers. I know in the north, Workington Northern Rail depot suffers from a high turnover, people from away will get a trainee job there and then leave as soon as they can get a move, leaving them forever short.

Well, it is Workington...

• Locked thread