Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Would the 1/8" headphone jack on my home theater amp be just as good (hopefully better) as listening to the same source (mostly Beats Music/Google Play Music, these days) on something like a Fiio E18 AMP/DAC?

I have a Denon AVR-1611 which seems to be a decent midrange amp for my 5.1 speakers but I don't know if manufacturers generally cheap out on the headphone jacks on "home theater" amps or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
^I don't mean to be rude and ask a question over yours and I'd love to help, but I'm a doofus and don't know anything about what you are talking about.

Anyone have Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones? They are rated fantastically and would look like a good choice for dedicated music headphones. They go on sale every year for about 100 bucks around Christmas time.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

rcman50166 posted:

^I don't mean to be rude and ask a question over yours and I'd love to help, but I'm a doofus and don't know anything about what you are talking about.

Anyone have Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones? They are rated fantastically and would look like a good choice for dedicated music headphones. They go on sale every year for about 100 bucks around Christmas time.

I think literally everyone in this thread (myself included) has a pair of and will recommend the ATH-M50 as one of the best entry level cans out there.

They're on sale pretty often. Get them. I recommend the coiled cable.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I was very close to getting the M50 for my first real set but I went with A700 instead, mostly because of the soundstage thing. I think A700X is pricier, though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I would recommend a few other headphones over the M50, depending on budget and use.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

z06ck posted:

The HE-400's are on sale for $300 at Amazon right now, good pick. I bought them months ago for $400. They're amazing provided you have a good DAC/Amp. Just a heads up.

These look awesome, what kind of amp would be good to pair with planars magnetic cans? will the Magni/Modi do it, or will I need something with more muscle to sound decent?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Magni is great for the HE-400. The hard planars to drive are the HE-5 and 6's. I think even my Beta22 requires changing my gain from 2x to 8x to have sufficient volume. If you are asking whether you should get the Magni for them or another amp, if you can DIY, the Objective-2 amp is also another great amp to try out and you can DIY with a soldering iron for around $120 or so, I believe.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Magni is great for the HE-400. The hard planars to drive are the HE-5 and 6's. I think even my Beta22 requires changing my gain from 2x to 8x to have sufficient volume. If you are asking whether you should get the Magni for them or another amp, if you can DIY, the Objective-2 amp is also another great amp to try out and you can DIY with a soldering iron for around $120 or so, I believe.

Thansk for this. My soldering skills are terrible, so I'd rather go with a pre-built solution.

Sounds like you've tried the pairing w/ the Magni? I ask bcs I've read conflicting reports online on whether the the Magni can do it and still sound okay (some are reporting the pairing sounds lifeless?). Granted this is from HEADFI where half the people recommend the Asgard or Lyr for a $200 pair of headphones so I don't know what to think.

EDIT: my typing sucks

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

A lot of people like the Magni, but having not heard the HE-400's or the Magni I cannot comment on them.

There are inherent differences in circuit design that can translate to different measurements on paper, but you're more likely to move your headphones 100 different times to get 100 different sounds than notice the difference between a Magni and any other class AB amplifier if the specs are rated to match the headphones.

The Magni right now is objectively one of the highest rated amplifiers on the market due to its ability to power everything up to the HE-6's, same with the Objective-2. I personally like the idea of open source projects but the Magni is sufficient for anything you would ever get down the line. At this point, you can get a basic DAC (the Modi?) and you're good to go.

They also sell the Objective-2 with a built in DAC but it's $80 more than the Modi and Magni combination.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
What is this thread's opinion on Superlux headphones, particularly the Superlux HD681B? Everytime someone asks me what to buy with little money I recommend them those, but I don't know whether there are good alternatives in the same price range.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Faber posted:

What is this thread's opinion on Superlux headphones, particularly the Superlux HD681B? Everytime someone asks me what to buy with little money I recommend them those, but I don't know whether there are good alternatives in the same price range.

If you want open headphones and a flat frequency response, the Superlux are insanely good for the price.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Faber posted:

I have one and they're a pretty good value but the default pads are pretty uncomfortable. I replaced them with velour pads intended for the AKG-271 (or maybe 701's?) off of ebay and I'm really satisfied with them.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

I'm going to be going travelling for a few months and would like to get a pair of appropriate in-ear headphones. Main criteria are good sound isolation (e.g. for flying or blocking out the sounds of a noisy bus etc.) and high durability (can be worn in the rain, can hold up being wrapped around a phone and stuffed in my pocket and will last for a long time).

The source will be an iPhone for 90% of the time, I'd only really use these while travelling. My budget is probably maximum £150, but less is better. I've previously owned or own some QC15s (please don't judge me), which I like for wearing around the house and on long flights, and basically use for everything, but don't want to risk taking them. I had some Klipsch S4is a while ago which I seem to remember being good. Had some beats in-ear headphones which were too bassy and overpriced and fell apart. My currently in-ear headphones are some Audéo Phonaks which I find to muddle the music together too much. I listen to quite a lot of acoustic music and would rather have the sound crisp with good isolation of individual instruments over anything else.

edit: an iPhone remote would be a big bonus

Rockybar fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 16, 2014

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

A lot of people like the Magni, but having not heard the HE-400's or the Magni I cannot comment on them.

There are inherent differences in circuit design that can translate to different measurements on paper, but you're more likely to move your headphones 100 different times to get 100 different sounds than notice the difference between a Magni and any other class AB amplifier if the specs are rated to match the headphones.

The Magni right now is objectively one of the highest rated amplifiers on the market due to its ability to power everything up to the HE-6's, same with the Objective-2. I personally like the idea of open source projects but the Magni is sufficient for anything you would ever get down the line. At this point, you can get a basic DAC (the Modi?) and you're good to go.

They also sell the Objective-2 with a built in DAC but it's $80 more than the Modi and Magni combination.

Have the HE 400, Magna+Modi,and think its a great combo. I was originally leaning for the objective 2 but the M+M seems to do a good job in representing a transparent signal. The added bonus being the combo is slightly cheaper.

Two minor issues I had was the gain on my early magna which I think they addressed, which is a bit high for such a powerful amp.
The other issue I have is with the dac picking up interference but that is more a problem of locating a proper shielded source.

Overall, I think the HE 400 sound amazing with the M+M combo. Only way I would upgrade from it is if I moved up to a higher model Ortho.

Edit: As to optimizing your listening experience with HE 400, I would try the earpad mods on Headfi long before I would consider amp/dac pairings, simply from a cost standpoint.

Dunite fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 16, 2014

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Budget - ~40$-80$ I'm not seriously into music, but I do like to listen to music very often. I've used 15$ headsets before for the longest time, and I'm ready to buy a pair that will last a long while.
Source - I'll be using these with my computer. I don't have a discrete sound card, so USB-ended plugs would be cool.
Isolation Requirements - I don't need isolation, and I'm not really particular either way. Whatever is more comfortable.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Supra-aural and Circum-aural. Again, whatever is more comfortable.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Honestly, I like both bass and treble pushed up, with the mids still base or even toned down just a little.
Past Headphones - I had Logitech's H390 before, and it was alright. I did like it while I had it. But my experience with headsets in general is pretty small, so I couldn't tell you what I didn't like about it.
Preferred Music - I like lots of music, but I listen to video game music and classic rock the most.

Yup. I'd like to get a headset and I know roughly poo poo-zero about them. So heeeeere I am.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Touchfuzzy posted:

Budget - ~40$-80$ I'm not seriously into music, but I do like to listen to music very often. I've used 15$ headsets before for the longest time, and I'm ready to buy a pair that will last a long while.
Source - I'll be using these with my computer. I don't have a discrete sound card, so USB-ended plugs would be cool.
Isolation Requirements - I don't need isolation, and I'm not really particular either way. Whatever is more comfortable.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Supra-aural and Circum-aural. Again, whatever is more comfortable.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Honestly, I like both bass and treble pushed up, with the mids still base or even toned down just a little.
Past Headphones - I had Logitech's H390 before, and it was alright. I did like it while I had it. But my experience with headsets in general is pretty small, so I couldn't tell you what I didn't like about it.
Preferred Music - I like lots of music, but I listen to video game music and classic rock the most.

Yup. I'd like to get a headset and I know roughly poo poo-zero about them. So heeeeere I am.

Get a desktop mic and plug some Samson SR850 into your headphone output. Boom, done.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Midorka posted:

Get a desktop mic and plug some Samson SR850 into your headphone output. Boom, done.

Woah. Thanks a bunch, Midorka!

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Rockybar posted:

I'm going to be going travelling for a few months and would like to get a pair of appropriate in-ear headphones. Main criteria are good sound isolation (e.g. for flying or blocking out the sounds of a noisy bus etc.) and high durability (can be worn in the rain, can hold up being wrapped around a phone and stuffed in my pocket and will last for a long time).

The source will be an iPhone for 90% of the time, I'd only really use these while travelling. My budget is probably maximum £150, but less is better. I've previously owned or own some QC15s (please don't judge me), which I like for wearing around the house and on long flights, and basically use for everything, but don't want to risk taking them. I had some Klipsch S4is a while ago which I seem to remember being good. Had some beats in-ear headphones which were too bassy and overpriced and fell apart. My currently in-ear headphones are some Audéo Phonaks which I find to muddle the music together too much. I listen to quite a lot of acoustic music and would rather have the sound crisp with good isolation of individual instruments over anything else.

I've been using my Westone 3 for two years of heavy use. I've flown with the many times and the comply tips do wonders for isolation without feeling like getting ear hosed by the triphlanges.

They also sound amazing. I've gone from being one of those clowns on head-fi with the k701 and the tube amp to just a set of westone 3 for outside and a set of grado sr225i for indoor use. Couldn't be happier with the setup.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Touchfuzzy posted:

I also have a pair of SR850's, you can't go wrong with them for a simple setup.

edit: You may want an amplifier with those as well, a Fiio E5 is good enough (cheap poo poo) to boost the volume. I found that with certain sources (Nexus 7) I really need an amplifier to play my music at a good level for me. Fuckin' Navy.

/Anecdote

z06ck fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 17, 2014

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Hi friends! I was hoping to get some purchasing advice:

Budget - Probably around a couple hundred if needed.
Source - I don't have an amp. It will be plugged straight into either a PC (with onboard sound), a TV or a 3DS.
Isolation - Would be nice, yes.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Big, Comfortable, Over-Ear ones.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not sure, perhaps you could recommend based on my use (stated below)?
Past Headphones - I've had quite a few cheap pairs but these are the ones which I can remember the actual brand of:
Sennheiser HD202: Terrible. I barely even used them because they were so uncomfortable.
Razer Megalodon: I didn't make a concious decision to buy these, I was waiting for some other cheap things I ordered. The store couldn't get the ones I ordered in but offered to "upgrade" me to these for free. They cost about 3x more than the pair I had ordered so I just said yes. They are actually the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn and I loved wearing them. I would probably still have them if they weren't USB.
SteelSeries Siberia v2: Ugh. My current pair and the reason I'm looking for a replacement. I don't like the leather/fake leather/whatever it is on the cups. I've found they put unnecessary pressure on the outside of the ear. They seem to be designed so that they stay on the head by force around the ears rather than actually using the head strap to rest on the head (which appears to do nothing). The in-line volume control also sucks, the volume knob is made of rubber and has eroded over time so that it's almost unusable.
Preferred Music - The biggest use will be TV Shows, Movies and Gaming. When I listen to music it's either classical or chiptune.

Summary: Entry to mid-range over-ear headphones that don't have leather/faux leather cups. Audio quality is secondary to comfort which is my single biggest concern.

These are the "fluffy"/cloth cups that I like:

I think this is something similar too right? Is there a name for this style?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Any opinions on Audio Technica's SonicFuel line? Specifically these: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/886519c7675d1189/index.html

I know AT gets a lot of praise in general around here but it's usually the higher-end stuff.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Touchfuzzy posted:

No problem. Some people might recommend the Superlux HD668b over the Samson's since they sound the same. The Samson's are infinitely more comfy though, the HD668b will wind up hurting the top of your head, thanks to the poor implementation of Audio Technica's wing design. The Samson might be the best all-around sounding headphones under $100 in all honesty.

As for those Audio Technica's above, if they're less than $50 and you like the design I don't think that it could hurt to try them. Audio Technica, in-general, at least makes a decent product.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xik posted:

Those are the Sennheiser 598s. Keep in mind that they have no real isolation since they are open, but are comfortable as hell and have great audio quality. Those headphones are also known for "warm" tones which basically just means vocals, mid range stuff, etc. sound pretty great and you shouldn't expect to feel fatigued just from listening to them for a few hours. No real edge to the higher frequencies in my experience. I listen to a ton of classical so I was really delighted to find that I could listen to tons of harpsichord concertos without getting sick of them after the second one like with cheaper headpones, hah. Expect an open soundstage with no special focus on bass, so don't get these if you are a bass head or are looking for a boom. If you love classical, imagine listening to Bach's St. Matthew Passion and having great clarity and positioning on a lot of the choral stuff. I had these for over a year before moving on to a much more expensive pair of headphones and I can say that I found these to be a quality choice at the price point.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 17, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I

Xik posted:

These are the "fluffy"/cloth cups that I like:

The material on those pads is generally called "velour." Beyer uses it a lot too.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Those are the Sennheiser 598s. Keep in mind that they have no real isolation since they are open, but are comfortable as hell and have great audio quality.

I've just been looking up youtube videos explaining and demonstrating the difference between open and closed since I didn't really understand it. I like being "cut off" from outside noise and don't want to annoy the other people I live with so I think closed are more suitable.

eddiewalker posted:

The material on those pads is generally called "velour." Beyer uses it a lot too.

Thanks, you're right! Most of the Beyer ones look super comfortable. The problem is that all the suitable headphones from them I can find suppliers for here (NZ) seem to only stock the ones that are out of my price range.

I mean, look how loving comfortable these things look, drat, this is exactly what I'm looking for:

Looking at Sennheiser, all the over ear, "velour" ones are open. I am going through the buyers guide linked in the OP, but since my highest priority is comfort and the material of the cup, it's really tedious with no in-line images.

Does what I'm looking for even exist or will I have to make a compromise on something? I don't think I can compromise on the cups or spend more so it will probably have to be on the "closed" part.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Xik posted:

I've just been looking up youtube videos explaining and demonstrating the difference between open and closed since I didn't really understand it. I like being "cut off" from outside noise and don't want to annoy the other people I live with so I think closed are more suitable.

Thanks, you're right! Most of the Beyer ones look super comfortable. The problem is that all the suitable headphones from them I can find suppliers for here (NZ) seem to only stock the ones that are out of my price range.

I mean, look how loving comfortable these things look, drat, this is exactly what I'm looking for:

Looking at Sennheiser, all the over ear, "velour" ones are open. I am going through the buyers guide linked in the OP, but since my highest priority is comfort and the material of the cup, it's really tedious with no in-line images.

Does what I'm looking for even exist or will I have to make a compromise on something? I don't think I can compromise on the cups or spend more so it will probably have to be on the "closed" part.

I don't know what's available, or pricing where you are. Those Beyer DT-770s have been on sale at Amazon a lot lately.

Sennheiser sells velour replacement pads for a few models. I know they do for the HD-25 series. The HD-25-SP is the budget version (a little cheaper headband) if that interests you.

Velour pads for the Beyer DT-250 fit on the Sennheiser HD-280s well as the Sony V6 and MDR-7506.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

eddiewalker posted:

I don't know what's available, or pricing where you are. Those Beyer DT-770s have been on sale at Amazon a lot lately.

Those DT-770's are actually on sale now at Amazon. With the sale price and shipping to New Zealand they would actually come within my price range at $188 USD (~$230 NZD). For comparison, to get them over here they would cost almost $350 NZD :911:.

On the buying guide it's marked as [3], stating an amp is required. Lots of other reviews also suggest the same. So I'm guessing they aren't going to be suitable, any opinions?

Also, what's the differences 250 OHM Pro version and 80 OHM Pro?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Rockybar posted:

Shure SE215, the black variant. The black has a softer more flexible cable. They have a great sound as they have a dynamic driver. You can find them for about $150. There is also an iphone cable you can buy from Shure with mic and controls.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It might be because my head is enormous, but I used to have DT770 Pro's and they got uncomfortable very quickly. The headband pressed into the top of my head.

A couple months into my NAD Viso HP50 ownership I'm very happy with them. They're the best sealed cans I've ever used and they work well with portables. Their schtick of sounding like a good set of speakers in a good room actually seems to work nicely.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Xik posted:

Those DT-770's are actually on sale now at Amazon. With the sale price and shipping to New Zealand they would actually come within my price range at $188 USD (~$230 NZD). For comparison, to get them over here they would cost almost $350 NZD :911:.

On the buying guide it's marked as [3], stating an amp is required. Lots of other reviews also suggest the same. So I'm guessing they aren't going to be suitable, any opinions?

Also, what's the differences 250 OHM Pro version and 80 OHM Pro?

I'm currently wearing the 990 Pros, which should fit just like the 770s, and they feel great on my average-size head.

The 770s come in like 10 different versions, several being mostly cosmetic differences. Beyer is crazy like that. The "Pro" models which are most often discounted come in 4 impedances: 32, 80, 250 and 600. By all accounts, they all sound pretty similar.

The 600 is tough to drive period. The 250 takes full volume on an iPod just to get to a comfortable listening level. The 80 is probably the most popular. It can be driven by a portable player or most any amp. The 32 is what Beyer recommends if you're primarily using a portable player or other weak source.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 17, 2014

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Which ones did you get?

These massive cunts

Happy with them so far, cheers Grack.

Anyone got advice on burning in IEMs? I was thinking of just playing some youtube whitenoise through them while I'm asleep for 8 hours or so.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hallowed Turban posted:

Anyone got advice on burning in IEMs?

Listen to them like a normal person.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Burn-in is pretty much a myth. The differences people hear are largely due to the mind adjusting to the differences between driver designs.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Fair enough. Nice Volvo

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hallowed Turban posted:

Fair enough. Nice Volvo

Haha thanks. :) It will be nicer when things stop breaking :argh:

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Hamelekim posted:

Shure SE215

Thank you for the advice, the Westones look great but a little above my price range. I looked at the SE215s, and I may well get them, the iPhone remote option really is a big plus for me. I've also ordered another set of ear tips for my Phonaks. I've been using the foam ones which apparently muffle the sound, so if I still don't like them with the new, silicon tips I will probably get the Shures (unless the Westone 2s are any good).

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Burn-in is pretty much a myth. The differences people hear are largely due to the mind adjusting to the differences between driver designs.

I read an interesting article a while ago suggesting that the cushioning material compressing slightly over time and bringing the drivers closer to the ears factors into this as well.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Rockybar posted:

Thank you for the advice, the Westones look great but a little above my price range. I looked at the SE215s, and I may well get them, the iPhone remote option really is a big plus for me. I've also ordered another set of ear tips for my Phonaks. I've been using the foam ones which apparently muffle the sound, so if I still don't like them with the new, silicon tips I will probably get the Shures (unless the Westone 2s are any good).

The Shure SE215 are a more fun earphone due to the dynamic driver. They are also very good for mids as Shure is well known for.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Does anybody here have any experience with turtle beach Z22s for gaming? I used X12s on the 360 which I liked, but the reviewer linked in the OP seems to poo poo all over the turtle beach sets that they are reviewing.

Could you recommend any competitors for around £30-£40 ($50-70)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Does anybody here have any experience with turtle beach Z22s for gaming? I used X12s on the 360 which I liked, but the reviewer linked in the OP seems to poo poo all over the turtle beach sets that they are reviewing.

Could you recommend any competitors for around £30-£40 ($50-70)?

*Unpopular position incoming*

Mostly okay, especially when you consider that you already like their brother cans. Honestly, if you like them, great—they're good for you. With Turtle Beach headsets, they typically don't shoot for the best audio performance for music, but they'll do things like deaden the range of sound where the percussive sounds of VG machine gun fire lives a little bit so the rest of the sounds come in at a loudness you can hear. Obviously this means less-than-stellar performance for music-heavy games like RPGs, but for FPS it's fine and works. People like to poo poo on TB because their headphones typically add in a ton of distortion and get the rap of crappy headsets because they don't perform well. Warranted, but sometimes the best performance isn't what people look for.

There are other headsets you might like for around that price range like the Logitech G230 for shooters (PC) and the Razer Carcharias for RPGs (PC also), but you might be able to snag an adapter for the 360 if that's what you want to use it with. My best advice is to make sure you know the return policy of wherever you buy from, make sure you keep all the packaging, and see if you can't swap out headphones if you don't like 'em. That's really the only way you'll know if they're a perfect fit or not.