Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
I disagree with +2 stunts being bad. They just really are not meant to be spammed because they say something very important and specific about the character. +2 stunts have to be treated with more or less the same respect as an Absolute Skill or Bulletproof effect from Robo, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
When the stunt is "+2 to this skill when I use this skill" then yes, it's bad. Otherwise it's just boring.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
"Eavesdropper: +2 to Notice overcome with notice when you're somewhere you shouldn't be" is evocative and encourages play style. So does "Duelist [+2 when using a sword against a solo opponent]."

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
I'm working on converting Shadowrun into Fate, and wanted to represent the team with its own sheet. There'd be an aspect or two about how the team met/how they feel working together, and another aspect to represent their reputation around town. I want it to be more than just a few aspects but I'm having trouble coming up with other things to put on the sheet.

I thought maybe there could be some team skills, like a team Contacts rating for really useful associates or fixers, or team Wealth for a pool of shared funds--but there aren't a lot of good skills that fit in a team framework. I also considered a shared Team Stunt but can't come up with that would really work well. Has anyone else tried this sort of idea?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Everything Counts posted:

I'm working on converting Shadowrun into Fate, and wanted to represent the team with its own sheet. There'd be an aspect or two about how the team met/how they feel working together, and another aspect to represent their reputation around town. I want it to be more than just a few aspects but I'm having trouble coming up with other things to put on the sheet.

I thought maybe there could be some team skills, like a team Contacts rating for really useful associates or fixers, or team Wealth for a pool of shared funds--but there aren't a lot of good skills that fit in a team framework. I also considered a shared Team Stunt but can't come up with that would really work well. Has anyone else tried this sort of idea?

Do you have Atomic Robo? If so, the organization rules (how they model Tesladyne) should work perfectly. If you don't, we could give you the cliff notes.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

slut chan posted:

Do you have Atomic Robo? If so, the organization rules (how they model Tesladyne) should work perfectly. If you don't, we could give you the cliff notes.

I haven't got it yet, but I really ought to. Aside from sounding like a great game in itself, it's mentioned enough here that i think using it would solve half my problems.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
In my opinion Atomic Robo is basically Fate Core 2.0. There's nothing regular Fate Core does that ARobo doesn't also do and in many cases do better. You don't even need to use it to run specifically Atomic Robo games, it's just a useful implementation of Fate Core expanded and upgraded.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Everything Counts posted:

Basically, yes, although I decided that the best avenue would be to have the group "entity" purely made out of skills, no aspects. It's responsible for having the money/resources and social standing skills, that's all. Going beyond that seemed sort of like it'd be stepping on toes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of Atomic Robo, the latest issues of the Fate Codex has an unofficial conversion guide for Dresden Files -> Atomic Robo. Which is timely, because preorders-with-PDF-now for Paranet Papers just launched.

Also, I ran two session of Atomic Robo for people at PAX East's Games on Demand this year, and man the brainstorming system is so much fun, especially with people who're used to systems where they're not allowed to really "contribute" at that level. The scenario presented was that everyone was Tesladyne folks and hangers-on working late in the labs when vampires and M-12 agents started teleporting in and wrecking the place, and I left the cause and solution up to the groups.

One group determined it was due to M-12 using a crystal in the mineralogy lab to teleport things in and out (and allowed me to bring in Dr. Dinosaur) and ended with the cyborg PC throwing Dr. D out a twelfth-story window.

The other group decided that M-12 was beaming in the vamps and agents from an orbital platform,the vamps being a distraction so the M-12 agents could steal tech. They ended up solving the problem by taking out an M-12 power armored agent in the middle of a fight, strapping a patched-together EMP bomb onto him, hacking his coms, and using them to call for an emergency evac teleport.

Two guys in the first group fell in love with the system and immediately bought FAE and some dice, and were asking me for suggestions on what to get next. :kimchi: They were probably the best Fate players I had all weekend, because they got it right off the bat. They played their aspects perfectly, they made up great new ones, and you should have seen one guy's face light up when I explained that they were going to be the ones to tell me what's going on instead of the other way around.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Did you check out the conversion guide? It comes at a good time, our GM wants to drop the DF:RPG we are running in favour of Fate core / atomic robo because he likes the rules more, but doesn't want to do the conversion himself.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BabyFur Denny posted:

Did you check out the conversion guide? It comes at a good time, our GM wants to drop the DF:RPG we are running in favour of Fate core / atomic robo because he likes the rules more, but doesn't want to do the conversion himself.

Not really too deeply yet. I did a quick skim and some of the main points are:
  • Bringing things in line with the Four Actions, so no more Block. Stuff that would create blocks are considered to just be creating advantage.
  • The skill list is pared down (of course). So the Might and Endurance skills just fold together into Physique.
  • Spellcasting is one A/C/O skill.
  • Shields get completely reworked. Now magic shields are treated as a full defense that costs one mental stress. You roll Spellcasting at +2, and that's the attack difficulty and the Armor rating. Thing is, though, that you can't do anything else while the shield is up.

There's stuff about turning all the supernatural types and powers into Modes and mega-stunts, using stunts to handle things like Evocation, and how to handle making magic doodads.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

Basically, yes, although I decided that the best avenue would be to have the group "entity" purely made out of skills, no aspects. It's responsible for having the money/resources and social standing skills, that's all. Going beyond that seemed sort of like it'd be stepping on toes.

Cool, thanks. I'll take a look.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Looks like a Fate Core version of Bulldogs! is kickstarting. Which is good, since Bulldogs had a pretty good concept but was heavily hamstrung by taking the SotC approach to things. Especially aspects; there were more aspects in play in any given moment in Bulldogs than SotC, if you can believe that.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I need some encounter design tips! Players in my campaign, please don't look.

I'm running a sort of hybrid game of Atomic Robo RPG and Fate Core with a lot of combat (it's based off of One Piece). A couple of my players are getting frighteningly powerful, and I want to find elegant ways to keep them challenged without just upping the enemy skills by 3-4 ranks.

Culprit #1: Sword duelist.
+4 Combat, soon to be +5.
Stunt: +2 to Attack with Combat in a one-on-one duel.
Stunt: +1 to Create Advantage or Defense with Combat when fighting a sword-wielding opponent.
Mega-Stunt: Once per scene, force an enemy to use Consequences when absorbing damage from a hit. On a Success with Style on a Defense roll with Combat, inflict a 2-shift hit instead of gaining a Boost.

Culprit #2: Paper manipulator.
+2 Combat, +3 Craft, but...
Stunt: +1 to Attack and Defend using Combat when facing the leader of an enemy faction.
Mega-Stunt: +2 to Create Advantage when it's paper-related. When invoking any Advantage made that way on an attack, get +3 instead of +2 for the Invoke, and the attack gains Weapon: 2.

#1 can consistently be rocking +7 to attack rolls in duels when the rest of the team is on +3 to +4 attacks, and almost as strong on the defense, on top of multiple Aspects good for invoking on attacks AND powerful defensive/counterattack options. #2 stacks a couple paper advantages on the target and then slams them for +12 or higher on a single hit. Both are poised to tear through any reasonable opposition with minimal effort. They're starting to get cocky.

I want to humble them. Or at least, keep them from taking down what's supposed to be boss encounters in 2 hits. How would you design a foe for these guys that at least makes them feel like they're being seriously threatened?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My suggestion is to not just up the bad guys, but up the battlefield. Add troubling aspects or fractalized threats to the fight that people can take advantage of. Get creative with zone types, add thinks like gaps between zones or start the PCs in bad positions.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Not sure on specifics for the Paper Crafter, but the Duelist has a good built in disadvantage in that their duels have to be one on one. Tempt them with a big, tough opponent, and feel free to beef him to levels that would crush the rest of the party, because the rest of the party isn't dealing with him. Feel free to combo that with what Evil Mastermind said, and actually physically separate the party with tricky zones.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
An obvious thought that occurs to me I haven't done with the paper crafter is to separate her from her paper.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
If you're going off One Piece, just look at some of the things Oda did to hamstring the monster trio.

Zoro is at a fraction of his power without a good weapon, and half the time he just doesn't know how to get to the fight.

Luffy is vulnerable to pretty much anything that isn't blunt force. He's been beaten by hypnosis, sleeping gas, surprise attacks (getting nabbed on Thriller Bark), and chilidishly simple tricks.

And Sanji is weak against women, to the point that not only can he not attack them, but he nearly died from the sight of the mermaids.

Basically, target the players in a way that takes full advantage of their Troubles.

That said, those mega stunts are pretty ridiculous, so I wouldn't feel too bad about making the opposition ridiculous too. For the swordperson, you could have.

Swordbadguy
+4 Combat
Megastunt: Nothing At All: Gain a +1 Defense bonus for each Consequence taken, and Consequences can't be Invoked/Compelled the scene they are taken. Gain an extra 8-shift consequence.

Papercutter could have

Firefoot
+4 Fire Stuff
Megastunt: Mera Mera no Mi: Automatically succeed on Overcome checks to burn nonliving, flammable things. Inflict a one-shift hit when hit by a melee attack.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
So, I'm working on idea for a game. Basically the concept is to use FAE to run a fantasy game where the PCs are teenagers in a small village or town facing low-key kind of threats in the dark woods and other lands around the village. I was struck by how well FAE approaches work for this because it means that the characters will be capable of being able to take on enemies in a fight without having incongruous skill ratings, like an orphan with high combat skills.

I'm working on a PbtA playbook type presentation for the characters, like so:

I'm looking for ideas for character archetypes and interesting aspects and stunts.

In terms of archetypes I've thought of: The huntsman's son, the blacksmith's daughter, the orphan, the squire to the old night, the apprentice cunning-woman, the mayor's child and simialar. I'm not sure if defning the characters by their parent's/significant adult is interesting or doing the characters a disservice, however.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

thefakenews posted:

In terms of archetypes I've thought of: The huntsman's son, the blacksmith's daughter, the orphan, the squire to the old night, the apprentice cunning-woman, the mayor's child and simialar. I'm not sure if defning the characters by their parent's/significant adult is interesting or doing the characters a disservice, however.

So your personal background is NOT an aspect? That seems like an oversight.

Maybe make your backstory multiple-choice so you have the kid who's good in the woods, but that could be because he's the hunter's son, a foundling raised by [pack animal], or secretly part fey.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I agree with Glazius, but you could probably work the tag phrase into the trouble aspect. "The resourceful hunter's son" or something. Also you may want to mix in some more negative aspects in the "other" section. The best aspects are one that can be used for and against you.

But beyond that, that's a fine looking sheet there.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Glazius posted:

So your personal background is NOT an aspect? That seems like an oversight.

Maybe make your backstory multiple-choice so you have the kid who's good in the woods, but that could be because he's the hunter's son, a foundling raised by [pack animal], or secretly part fey.

The personal background is italicized like the other aspects for a reason. But yeah, maybe that should be a choice in the high concept rather than a mandatory aspect.

The aspects do need some work - that's something I'm looking for ideas for. Some of the ones on the example might benefit from a slight twist, like:

More at home in the forest
I'm think I know something about everything

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The easy way is to say "more X than Y". More at home with people than animals; more lace than stone; More Coward than Hero.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
I've had some good feedback here and some other places, so I've made some revisions:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

ProfessorProf posted:

I need some encounter design tips! Players in my campaign, please don't look.

I'm running a sort of hybrid game of Atomic Robo RPG and Fate Core with a lot of combat (it's based off of One Piece). A couple of my players are getting frighteningly powerful, and I want to find elegant ways to keep them challenged without just upping the enemy skills by 3-4 ranks.

Culprit #1: Sword duelist.
+4 Combat, soon to be +5.
Stunt: +2 to Attack with Combat in a one-on-one duel.
Stunt: +1 to Create Advantage or Defense with Combat when fighting a sword-wielding opponent.
Mega-Stunt: Once per scene, force an enemy to use Consequences when absorbing damage from a hit. On a Success with Style on a Defense roll with Combat, inflict a 2-shift hit instead of gaining a Boost.

Culprit #2: Paper manipulator.
+2 Combat, +3 Craft, but...
Stunt: +1 to Attack and Defend using Combat when facing the leader of an enemy faction.
Mega-Stunt: +2 to Create Advantage when it's paper-related. When invoking any Advantage made that way on an attack, get +3 instead of +2 for the Invoke, and the attack gains Weapon: 2.

#1 can consistently be rocking +7 to attack rolls in duels when the rest of the team is on +3 to +4 attacks, and almost as strong on the defense, on top of multiple Aspects good for invoking on attacks AND powerful defensive/counterattack options. #2 stacks a couple paper advantages on the target and then slams them for +12 or higher on a single hit. Both are poised to tear through any reasonable opposition with minimal effort. They're starting to get cocky.

I want to humble them. Or at least, keep them from taking down what's supposed to be boss encounters in 2 hits. How would you design a foe for these guys that at least makes them feel like they're being seriously threatened?

Another thing to also look into is what actual shonen series' do to make bad guys, even bad guys weaker than the party, be scary. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a good example of how to get creative, because very often it's the seemingly least frightening enemies that are scariest. Probably the definitive example of this line of thinking are the 'Dio's Sons' villains - one of them is simply not in the arena and can't be punched out, and forces the party to experience the stories they most identify with as the protagonists, right down to tragic endings and crippling losses (so if your favorite story is one where the hero dies...), the second one uses photography artifacts turned living beings that move so fast you cannot even see them and steal your body heat, and the third fights by using animated memories to attack and defend as well as do impossible things like retrieving a lost artifact from the memories of one protagonist. Strange powers like these ones can't be fought just by swording them directly or slamming down a million CAs, because they aren't playing the same game as the party. Try doing that. Introduce villains who are unmatchable in their element (Bladeproof so the swordsman can't cut them, Tacticsproof so CA's can be counterinvoked if he can at all see them coming, fighting from five miles away so the goal is to get to them while attacks and obstacles rain down on the party, etc.), and let the players do their thing to try and drag them out of it and beat them. It should make for some memorable encounters!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

thefakenews posted:

I've had some good feedback here and some other places, so I've made some revisions:

Very nice. I'll have to try and remember to do something like this next time I run a FAE demo.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
If anyone's interested, the complete set of playbooks is here.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 23, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

These are super cool, but you really ought to make another proofreading pass. The first playbook's stunts are particularly rushed.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Siivola posted:

These are super cool, but you really ought to make another proofreading pass. The first playbook's stunts are particularly rushed.

Thanks. I've done another editing pass and amended the PDF linked above. I'm not a very good proof-reader, however, so I I'd be glad if anyone can point out anything I missed.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Playing in a Fate Core game where we're the command team of a (n extremely scummy) noble house in a Roman inspired setting set in an underwater city. Only the GM's really played Fate before so we're all floundering a bit in the stunts department. Does anyone have any stunt advice for the following characters:

PC#1: A junior senator and former athlete. Hedonistic demagogue who can still powerlift his own bodyweight and is a dab hand at scheming and politics.
PC#2: The marshal of the house. An indestructible 700 kilo albino freak who is a star athlete. An inspirational leader of men with a vengeful streak and a strict code of honour.
PC#3: The seneschal of the house. Infiltrator, investigator and assassin with a serious case of murder addiction who runs the house's hit squad.
PC#4: The emissary of the house. Is a swarm of sixteen small jellyfish who specialises in moving unseen, trade agreements and using sorcery to divine the future. Also a serious career gambler.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I'd get http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/144754/Eagle-Eyes--A-World-of-Adventure-for-Fate-Core, it's a great Fate Rome setting. Even underwater with aliens, it's a good pick.

SENATOR: "Words hang in the Water." Whenever you make a public speech, for the rest of the day, you defend actively against any counter-argument, whether you're there or not.

ALBINO: "My Rules." Write down three elements of your code of honor. You have a +2 to defend against any argument or mental affect that violates them, and if you generate a defensive boost, it instead turns into a scene aspect.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

thefakenews posted:

If anyone's interested, the complete set of playbooks is here.

These are loving awesome. One of the biggest issues I run into with new players is they're just not used to "right down anything and that's your character" mentality of FATE and FAE.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be running a Dresden Files game for two players, which is the least I've ever done. Any protips for small party Fate games?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Zephirum posted:

I'm going to be running a Dresden Files game for two players, which is the least I've ever done. Any protips for small party Fate games?

Split them up. Larger parties spend time in conflict and planning, so you should give them both opportunities to shine and need each other. Otherwise it'll run very, very fast.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Transient People posted:

Another thing to also look into is what actual shonen series' do to make bad guys, even bad guys weaker than the party, be scary. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a good example of how to get creative, because very often it's the seemingly least frightening enemies that are scariest. Probably the definitive example of this line of thinking are the 'Dio's Sons' villains - one of them is simply not in the arena and can't be punched out, and forces the party to experience the stories they most identify with as the protagonists, right down to tragic endings and crippling losses (so if your favorite story is one where the hero dies...), the second one uses photography artifacts turned living beings that move so fast you cannot even see them and steal your body heat, and the third fights by using animated memories to attack and defend as well as do impossible things like retrieving a lost artifact from the memories of one protagonist. Strange powers like these ones can't be fought just by swording them directly or slamming down a million CAs, because they aren't playing the same game as the party. Try doing that. Introduce villains who are unmatchable in their element (Bladeproof so the swordsman can't cut them, Tacticsproof so CA's can be counterinvoked if he can at all see them coming, fighting from five miles away so the goal is to get to them while attacks and obstacles rain down on the party, etc.), and let the players do their thing to try and drag them out of it and beat them. It should make for some memorable encounters!

Another alternative is what I like to call 'the new normal'.

Every so often at the end of an arc you reset your player's characters to their starting positions. Let them remake their characters to reflect how they've changed and grown throughout the course of the campaign, maybe give them a small starting bonus each time you refresh their characters. This represents the new normal in shonen, where after a full arc what was the top tier of power gets outclassed.

Dragonball is the best example of this. Goku and Piccolo fight Radditz and barely kill him. A year later, everyone is at the level where they could pretty effortlessly chump Radditz, but there are new enemies who are even scarier. After those enemies get beaten a new set show up and so on and so forth. Once Goku gets Super Saiyan that becomes the baseline of power for the series, he doesn't fight outside that form so you can more or less assume that anyone that is actually a challenge (who you'd actually have a combat against in fate) would be fighting at that level.

In my experience it is the best way to handle shonen power level scaling in any RPG. Trying to keep things scaled normally tends to throw poo poo out of whack really quickly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Just asking out of curiosity, but has there been any good Halo FATE hacks/guides for using FATE to play in the Halo universe?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Covok posted:

Just asking out of curiosity, but has there been any good Halo FATE hacks/guides for using FATE to play in the Halo universe?

What exactly would you need to make a Halo Fate hack? What custom mechanics are required that aren't covered by Fate Core or FAE? I'm not clear on why you need any kind of dedicated hack rather than just running Fate and going "yes, you are space marines fighting the Covnenant instead of [insert action hero stereotype here]."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What exactly would you need to make a Halo Fate hack? What custom mechanics are required that aren't covered by Fate Core or FAE? I'm not clear on why you need any kind of dedicated hack rather than just running Fate and going "yes, you are space marines fighting the Covnenant instead of [insert action hero stereotype here]."

That why I also put guide, but I suppose you make a good point.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Covok posted:

I don't really think one's needed for Robo, though you may want for Core. Planning a game of Spartan II's, III's or just mundane duders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Covok posted:

I dunno about hacks necessarily, but you might consider using the tips from the Toolkit about using Zones that are a little more tight and cramped than the default scale of "pretty much this whole building is a zone" if you're gonna be going for like tactical shooting or SWAT types of scenarios.