Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddain
May 6, 2007
So apparently if you finish the Titan quest line by defusing the Silo 7 nuke and going the Chaos route, the NPC you get is actually Charisma locked.

Is this the same with the other NPCs you can get?

Also, is there a better way to solve the Silo 7 issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

sauer kraut posted:

I must say the NPC you get from Highpool is amazing.
She lets you skip Animal Whisper and Survivalism on your main chars. Too bad you don't know that poo poo beforehand.
Plus she can shoot Sniper Rifles and has good coordination what more could you ask for.
Hope she never decides to leave :smith:
Where can I recruit her? When inside the cage she wouldnt talk to me, and once I opened it up she just ran away...

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
Anyone here familiar with how to progress the story in Griffith Observatory? I can't tell if the game has bugged out or if the area is just this lovely.

I want to find evidence on Mayweather but the only NPC with any leads was the woman who ran the burger stand. She said I should speak to Marcus White but he's not inside the compound, or if he is I can't find him. I've exhausted the dialogue of what other NPCs are in the area. What do you do to progress the quest? Do you speak to White and if so where is he?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
when you start breaking apart better guns, do you get more junk parts if you keep levelling up weaponsmithing or does it eventually become more economical to just sell the gun?

dvl
Mar 9, 2007
n/a
I just started and I'm only in Ag Center right now but got a few questions:

Is it possible to somehow passively heal your squad or do I just have to spend first aid stuff all the time?
Do any weapons require having a certain amount of strength? Since pistols seem to suck pretty hard I was thinking of giving Rose a sniper or assault rifle for her to contribute at least something.
I must have missed Angela Death, do you really get her before you even leave the first area?

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I cannot remember where the second toaster in Ag Center is. I know of the one in the main complax but I can't remember where the other one is, the one with the blood staff and to answer a friend, what do you do with the Red Ryder BB Gun? He went Highpool I went Ag Center.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So I got the mission to go to silo 7 and sent the nuke away since my repair score was way to low to disable it anyways. When the radio cut out I thought the game was only pulling my leg but nope. So much for ever seeing where any of the valley plotlines were heading. :stonklol:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Funnypost Collabo posted:

If you do Ag Center first you're likely to have around a ~35% hit chance against the rabbits, but other than that - yeah. Any lower than ~55-60% means the enemy is behind cover and you're not flanking. I haven't seen anything else that has crazy high evasion like the rabbits do.

I had zero percent hit on the rabbits while using melee weapons, I would never have gone through the six rabbit fight had I not found a rocket launcher.

I've also had the most luck with pistols so far, so I dunno what kind of franken team I managed to create.

The game is amazing though.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 22, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

dvl posted:

I must have missed Angela Death, do you really get her before you even leave the first area?

yeah, shes just to the left of the exit point

JanVanHouten
Jun 6, 2011
I'm a bit late on this.
But.

Arven posted:

This game. I savescummed trying different dialog options and couldn't make it happen.

The keyword system is a lot more subtle that it seems.
I have played the game 20 hours, and I just learned ( thanks to a french journalist ) that the order in which you use the keyword is really important in some dialogues.
It's a really nice idea, but it's going to make the dialog seem random to a lot people.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ag centre never sent me off on the other missions. is it just random?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

trashcangammy posted:

Anyone here familiar with how to progress the story in Griffith Observatory? I can't tell if the game has bugged out or if the area is just this lovely.

I want to find evidence on Mayweather but the only NPC with any leads was the woman who ran the burger stand. She said I should speak to Marcus White but he's not inside the compound, or if he is I can't find him. I've exhausted the dialogue of what other NPCs are in the area. What do you do to progress the quest? Do you speak to White and if so where is he?

He is in the courtyard, opposite her in semi fenced off bit with a ton of goons. Make sure you have the booze you find in the trapped/locked case on the roof.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Verviticus posted:

ag centre never sent me off on the other missions. is it just random?

If you started at Ag Center, you go to Highpool. If you did Ag Center after Highpool, you go deal with the fallout then go back to the Citadel.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What a goddamn shame. I was looking forward to this. They really should have stuck to their guns with the whole "It'll be done when it's done" but that notion went straight out the window when they announced there would be a mandatory day one patch. The game is crazy buggy.

I'll keep an eye out for the Wasteland 3 Kickstarter I guess :v:
Forcing the game to use DX9 fixed the performance problems for me.

And bug-free software is a pipedream. There always comes a point when your testers stop turning up new bugs and the first real users will find some poo poo right away.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Eddain posted:

So apparently if you finish the Titan quest line by defusing the Silo 7 nuke and going the Chaos route, the NPC you get is actually Charisma locked.

Is this the same with the other NPCs you can get?

Also, is there a better way to solve the Silo 7 issue?

The other NPCs are charisma locked too, but I didn't have an issues recruiting them in my test saves. The path you chose is what I would consider to be the "good ending."

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
Can anyone share some of the NPC skills? I've got a big pile of skill points saved up but I'm paralyzed thinking if I spend any I'm going to find someone just around the corner who has invested a ton in the same skill. I've found Rose who seems like a great noncombatant skill workhorse, and Ralphy who can fix toasters but has a loving horrible attribute spread.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Seriously, that would own if someone could do that. One of my characters I made was basically a medical student; high intelligence, surgeon and first-aid skills, and some computer knowledge. Oh, hi Rose. Whoops.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I feel bad that I only paid $15 for this gem of a game when I backed it :smith:

But it's great that I helped fund this game. Even if I helped one guy write a line of code it's all worth it :unsmith:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Lone Badger posted:

Buy the cheap rad suits from the quartermaster.

I bought one from the dealer outside, and one from the quartermaster, as I thought you had to buy one for each of your team. Nope, just one was needed, and now I'm saddled with an extra ten pounds of rad suit that I can't drop or sell.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ClothHat posted:

Can anyone share some of the NPC skills? I've got a big pile of skill points saved up but I'm paralyzed thinking if I spend any I'm going to find someone just around the corner who has invested a ton in the same skill. I've found Rose who seems like a great noncombatant skill workhorse, and Ralphy who can fix toasters but has a loving horrible attribute spread.

the dude at the mines has mech repair and demolitions but hes not bright enough to skill them any further really (3 and 5 respectively)

at the abandoned railway: is vax just bugged and/or unimplemented? its like a beta zone, stupidly hard enemies to kill and non-interactive npcs. you can comp sci him but he just kinda turns into an animal or something and dies on the first burst. seems weird for what is ostensibly an important wasteland char?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

now I'm saddled with an extra ten pounds of rad suit that I can't drop or sell.

Can you toss the extra suit in the storage locker at the Citadel?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ulvirich posted:

I haven't tried that one yet, but I'm going to assume not. It's just "stuck" in my inventory.

Will try it though when I'm back there.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ulvirich posted:

Yes.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm only in Highpool, but I really want to start over because I don't have Angela. Even playing on seasoned I'm reloading fights more often than not.

Question. How important does Toaster Repair end up being?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ClothHat posted:

In terms of utility skill:

Angela Deth is good at brute forcing poo poo, hard rear end dialogue, and outdoorsman. She's a temp ally but she's with you through the beginning of the game at least.

Rose is a really good surgeon (though she has no first aid training). Does she have another utility skill that I forget.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

rose has comp sci

shes pretty good at fighting if you just pump the poo poo out of handguns. its not like she needs to spend more points on surgeon at that time

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Does Rose ever leave the party like Angela does?

Edit: Actually, this would be a cool thing to make note of, NPC(s) that will leave after a while from story progression.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

None of the Arizona NPCs leave besides Angela.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Regarding Outdoorsman, does it automatically check the highest skill in the party on the world map, or do I need to have that particular character selected? Or does it tally up the scores of everyone? Can't find anything about that in the manual.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm going in blind on this game. I loved fallout as a kid and just barely missed the wasteland phenomenon. Is this pretty heavy on RPG elements ala Fallout or is it more combat and mission focused? And is the game good in this threads opinion? Trying to not skim it too much and spoil something.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Is there a way to leave party members behind? My group's charisma score is really drat low, and I already have a good doctor character, so I think I will ditch Rose down the road when I can get another combat character.

I find the combat in this game leaps and bounds beyond the old Fallout games. Mechanically it is nearly identical to the recent XCOM game with a few differences: no active skills, the equivalent of low cover is crouching which you can do anywhere, AP based instead of two-actions, and turns are per-character instead of per-team. It's a very combat-centric game as opposed to Fallout - a good thing in my opinion, but obviously not for everyone.

There are bugs but it's not even close to the buggiest game I've played and I haven't run in to any that actually frustrated me or hindered my progress.

You can wait for a sale if you want though! That's entirely up to you and how much you're willing to spend on a videogame.

Why is everyone comparing this to Xcom? This game is basically fallout tactics lite.

e:

I haven't played a whole lot of Fallout Tactics but I think it's actually a pretty good comparison, except it's an open-world RPG instead of mission based. RPG kind of stuff happens in short stretches between encounters and in quest hubs, but most of your time is spent fighting or using your skills to basically access loot containers or interact with objects to progress quests.

heh, looks like somebody beat me to it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

echronorian posted:

I'm going in blind on this game. I loved fallout as a kid and just barely missed the wasteland phenomenon. Is this pretty heavy on RPG elements ala Fallout or is it more combat and mission focused? And is the game good in this threads opinion? Trying to not skim it too much and spoil something.
It's both. It is heavily combat / mission-focused, but it's also heavily active-skill-focused. Consensus seems to be that alarm disabling is the one true dump skill.

I'm finding it to be a slog, but the general consensus is pretty positive, even factoring out grogs who've been waiting decades for it to come out. A good comparison made earlier, in terms of game progression and feel, is Fallout Tactics *efb. It's just that the total lack of humor / bleak fascism of FOT have been replaced by 1980's-by-way-of-The Oatmeal humor, level / combat design is less interesting, and there is a modest amount of attention paid to characters and talky solutions.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I found an infinite experience glitch in Damonta for characters with the Computer Science skill (You'll need either 7 skill or 6 skill and a little bit of savescumming):

Towards the top right corner of the map you'll meet Hopi and Magee.
Kill the robots outside their shop for them, they'll open the door and let you in. They have a broken robot named Jamie and they'll tell you that you can take him if you get him up and running.
This is a rank 7 Computer Science skill check. If you succeed, you get access to the glitch:
Once he's repaired, you can use Computer Science on him again. This is a lower-rank skill check which gives him a buff called Overclock. It has a 100% success rate for me. You can use it on him repeatedly as many times as you want (if there's a limit, I haven't seen one, but I stopped after a few uses) to get some experience every time.

e: Looks like the second part of this works with Mechanical Repair as well.

BULBASAUR posted:

Why is everyone comparing this to Xcom? This game is basically fallout tactics lite.

I was just comparing the combat mechanics to Xcom, they're pretty similar even though they're less nuanced in this game.

Leinadi posted:

Regarding Outdoorsman, does it automatically check the highest skill in the party on the world map, or do I need to have that particular character selected? Or does it tally up the scores of everyone? Can't find anything about that in the manual.

It uses the highest rank in your party. Same deal with Barter while trading.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 22, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Wow, Damonta is a shithole.

I assumed it'd be some sort of new hub for me to rest and restock but instead I get a face full of sawblades from those loving Slicerdicer robots. How am I even supposed to deal with them? They have way too much health and don't come alone.

Also I assume I can't just leave and come back later, right?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Wow, Damonta is a shithole.

I assumed it'd be some sort of new hub for me to rest and restock but instead I get a face full of sawblades from those loving Slicerdicer robots. How am I even supposed to deal with them? They have way too much health and don't come alone.

The worst part is how they don't even have high armor so you can't cheese them with a Meson Cannon.. I found out after getting here that apparently you're intended to do Rail Nomads first, so if you didn't do that you could back up and go through that for some more levels. I've managed to work through it with my large stockpile of rocket launchers and an M16. There's a (temporary?) NPC that you can get to help you in the motel near the entrance who does pretty good damage to the enemies in the zone.

e: I also found out that if you bump it up to Ranger difficulty, levelups stop healing you :smith:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 22, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'm very well equipped with AKs and such, but no energy weapons at all. Apparently you're supposed to just slug it the gently caress out? I don't know. The NPC died on the first hit because had like 10HP by the way.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm looking for some advice on what to do in Rail Nomads!

This map is big and boring. I'd like to finish it quickly.. are there any important/unmissable quests?

Someone else said that the peace brokering is kinda pointless, and I don't think I have enough points in speech skills anyway... so should I just start slaughtering people? My burst firing assault rifles are hungry. :black101:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
There is one trick that lets you make peace but you have to type in the key word at the right time, it won't show up as a button.

Just "finished" Damnota and I have to say, my initial good impression is beginning to wear off. The fight mechanics are very simplistic and not well balanced against non-humanoid enemies and holy poo poo the map is a pain to navigate.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I managed to broker peace without typing in a key word. It seemed fairly straightforward to me but I guess there are some kinks that can make it fail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Just started up a new game and I'm disappointed that many of the bugs I encountered in the beta version are still present.

The first one I ran into was Pills losing her own photo if I try to customize her. Doesn't happen every time, but annoying. The second was the one where I can't scroll the screen after combat. The only thing moving when I try to scroll with the WASD keys is the shadows, meaning that I'm stuck and have to reload. :smith:

This must have been asked before, but how do I delete those custom ranger snapshot photos? I have way too many left from the beta days and would be nice to get rid of them.

• Locked thread