Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

• Zoro's view that being a great swordsman has "nothing to do with being a boy or a girl" is odd in light of some things he says and does later (being shocked when Enel zaps Robin because she's a woman, refusing to fight seriously against Monet). You could argue that it's different because Robin and Monet don't use swords, but neither does Miss Monday, and Zoro had no problem fighting her.

Robin and Monet aren't really fighters. They can fight quite effectively and have some real OP abilities, but they're secondarily fighters. There's lots of casual sexism in One Piece, but Zoro seems to be of the belief that if you're a fighter then gender if fairly irrelevant. This pertains to not only Miss Monday but also Tashigi, around 1/3 of the bounty hunters at Whiskey Peak, Baroque Works agents, and of course Kuina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
You guys realize that Kuina is Tashigi, right? Oda's already experimented with Plot Amnesia with Sabo, so she's next.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

then why is she so bad

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yeah the whole "female swordsman" thing isn't really a thing with Zoro. I mean, yeah, the comment to Enel is weird but it's a manga and that poo poo is everywhere.

It IS however, a part of Tashigi's character that she feels inferior as a female swordswoman and she mostly interacts through Zoro, though I trust Oda is eventually going somewhere with it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Amorphous Blob posted:

then why is she so bad

Because she forgot how to be good?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Tashigi will casually cut down Mihawk with one swing when she remembers she's Kuina and fights Zoro for real

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

yeah why not

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I somehow don't see Zoro owning the gently caress out of Kuina as a good final fight.

If it does happen though the sexism chat will, never, ever, loving end

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I remember 4kids changed Kuina's fate from her tripping down the stairs and dying to a bunch of guys just ganging up and beating the poo poo out of her, crippling her for life. Which is kind of an interesting idea, or at least better than some of the other alterations they did.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

The way Alvida's infobox specifically mentions that she's a female pirate makes me wonder whether Oda originally intended pirates to be almost exclusively male. In fact, after Alvida, we don't meet any female pirates until Nami is revealed to be a member of Arlong's crew; Buggy, Kuro, and Don Krieg all have all-male crews as far I remember.

As far as this goes even amongst real pirates one of the rules of the pirates code was no females allowed on the ship. mainly for their safety and to prevent pirates fighting each other over her. There however were still both female pirates and female pirate captains. 2 of the most ruthless pirates in our world were female.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AkumaHokoru posted:

As far as this goes even amongst real pirates one of the rules of the pirates code was no females allowed on the ship. mainly for their safety and to prevent pirates fighting each other over her. There however were still both female pirates and female pirate captains. 2 of the most ruthless pirates in our world were female.

Those are mostly guidelines.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AkumaHokoru posted:

I thought the main reason was superstition about women on ships. It was totally bad luck and an ill omen.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gyges posted:

I thought the main reason was superstition about women on ships. It was totally bad luck and an ill omen.

Superstitions are created to convince people to do things when you don't want to tell them the real reason.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Gyges posted:

Probably started after the crew murdered each other to get to them during long voyages.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
not to mention love triangles and what not. being at sea for months looootta room for potential problems.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Advice posted:

You guys realize that Kuina is Tashigi, right? Oda's already experimented with Plot Amnesia with Sabo, so she's next.

Hasn't Oda explicitly said that she's not?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Oda has amnesia too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Volume 2 thoughts:

• The way Nami talks about how she'll never become what she hates, etc. is weird when you consider that she's been the Arlong Pirates' mapmaker for years at this point. It seems that, while Nami planning to buy her village from a pirate was already planned by Oda, her exact connection to Arlong wasn't.
  • We also have the first example of someone doubting the existence of Devil Fruits with Nami's reaction to Buggy surviving getting chopped up. It's odd, since Nami is supposed to be well-read, although the wording is ambiguous enough that she may have simply believed that the weirdness of what Devil Fruits could do had been exaggerated.
  • It's interesting to see how much faster-paced One Piece was back then. For example, flashbacks in the first two volumes are limited to a single chapter (although the first chapter, with Luffy's backstory, was extra-long). The effect of this on the story as a whole is a bit weird; Zoro's backstory is far shorter than that of Montblanc Noland or Kyros, who are far less important characters. I guess you could argue that the longer flashbacks touch on the motivations and role of multiple characters, though. The Kyros flashback, for example, involves Riku, Doflamingo, Diamante, Sugar, Rebecca, and Violet in addition to Kyros himself. Zoro's flashback is only directly relevant to Zoro himself, and indirectly relevant to Tashigi and Mihawk.
  • Similarly, although there are scenes where characters get separated or run away, the obligatory part of every arc where the characters spend several chapters looking for each other and barely missing, running from the effects of the villain's superweapon, beating up random wildlife, etc., hasn't been invented yet. I think that kind of thing started with the Arlong arc, and only really got stupid around Arabasta, if not later.
  • Everyone continues to refer to "the fruit of the Gum-Gum tree," although there's no mention of Buggy's Devil Fruit coming from a tree.
  • Buggy was pretty villainous back then; it was implied that he routinely blew up populated areas with cannonballs.
  • Buggy's crew in this translation like to say "piratey" things like "Keelhaul me!" and "Avast!" His catchphrase ("flashy" in the Crunchyroll anime subs) is translated in various ways or omitted entirely here.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I dunno, I always felt like Nami was denying to herself of being part of Arlong's crew even if she technically was. Like Oda explicitly has her hate pirates from the start, so he had some idea of her backstory at that point.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Allarion posted:

I dunno, I always felt like Nami was denying to herself of being part of Arlong's crew even if she technically was. Like Oda explicitly has her hate pirates from the start, so he had some idea of her backstory at that point.

That makes sense.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

For the devil fruit confusion, maybe since East Blue is such a in comparison peaceful sea of the world it's not too weird for residents to be shocked by Devil Fruit powers. Think about how many Devil Fruit users come from East Blue

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Though to be fair, there was an early period that Nami was planned to be this.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

For the devil fruit confusion, maybe since East Blue is such a in comparison peaceful sea of the world it's not too weird for residents to be shocked by Devil Fruit powers. Think about how many Devil Fruit users come from East Blue

At least four: Luffy, Buggy, Smoker, and Alvida.

If you assume Ace and Bartolomeo ate their Devil fruits before entering the Grand Line, then six.

The real issue is that newspaper delivery is worldwide. Luffy may not read the papers, but Nami should probably have known about people like Whitebeard and Crocodile.

I was also about to mention the book Nami read about Little Garden in, but I looked it up, and apparently the book in question had a reputation for being full of BS, so it makes sense that Nami wouldn't believe what it might have said about Devil Fruits.

Edit: Plus Nami works with the Arlong Pirates. Many of them were born in the Grand Line, and several have personally met Devil Fruit users like Boa Hancock.

Edit 2: In a similar vein, apparently neither Shanks nor Garp ever explained to Luffy what Haki was.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 17, 2015

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
idk its pretty easy to handwave a lot of that stuff away. i dont care as long as its not extremely contradictory.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

idk its pretty easy to handwave a lot of that stuff away.

I suppose that's true, though. Nami and Arlong (or even Nami and Hatchan) weren't exactly best friends, it's possible that Grand Line newspapers didn't become widely available in East Blue until recently, and Luffy isn't the type who'd remember much about Haki even if Garp explained it to him explicitly.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Allarion posted:

Though to be fair, there was an early period that Nami was planned to be this.

Potential Mad Max crossover?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Holy gently caress. I wasn't aware this existed and now I'm super mad this wasn't her final design because it's loving awesome.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

chaos rhames posted:

Potential Mad Max crossover?
Did anyone post this yet? It's probably my favorite Mad Max fanart.

It's obviously not Oda's, but it's drat close.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Edit 2: In a similar vein, apparently neither Shanks nor Garp ever explained to Luffy what Haki was.

Garp was too busy throwing Luffy at tigers to explain Haki to him. Not to mention the fact Garp said his fist was full of love.

And Shanks probably didn't worry too much about the nitty gritty of being a pirate, Luffy's determination is all that he needed to see to let him go off on his own.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

TriffTshngo posted:

Holy gently caress. I wasn't aware this existed and now I'm super mad this wasn't her final design because it's loving awesome.

I can see the bigass axe being a problem, it takes up a lot of panel space.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

TriffTshngo posted:

It's a pretty boss design, I don't care how big the ax is. Plus there's a bit of humor to be mined from her having those scars and cyber arm but still having her get girly over dresses, like she'd be a mix of flashy and intimidating.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
It's interesting that Nami ended up with her design instead of that one, even ignoring where she ended up, in even the Buggy arc she was pretty dainty compared to Luffy or Zoro. She takes almost no real damage and has pretty much no physical strength or anything like that and even when Buggy is about to hit her a single time, Luffy blocks it. Especially with how often Oda buckles shonen trends, it feels like an editor stepped in on this one

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Just like how an editor stepped in on Dressrosa and made Rebecca useless

Let's not put everything bad about One Piece down to the evil editors

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pretty sure Oda just doesn't really like having women get beat the gently caress up and probably hit his limit on that with Spandam and Robin.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm not sure how to feel about that proto-Nami. She's pretty unironically 90s, for lack of a better term. Which makes sense, since she was designed in the 90s, but it's not quite Oda's current style. Note that the actual cyborg crew member is a Jim Carrey lookalike powered by cola.

On the other hand, I like the implied difference from the way Oda currently tends to handle female characters. Every scarred or otherwise disfigured by violence character in One Piece I can think of is male. For that matter, although it's probably overthinking things, I can't think of any notable feats of lifting (as opposed to striking) strength by female characters either (although even proto-Nami is "cheating" with that cyborg arm).

Edit:

Oh Snapple! posted:

Pretty sure Oda just doesn't really like having women get beat the gently caress up and probably hit his limit on that with Spandam and Robin.

He doesn't like attractive women getting beaten up. As recently as the Dressrosa arc, we had Brook slicing up Jora.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

He doesn't like attractive women getting beaten up. As recently as the Dressrosa arc, we had Brook slicing up Jora.

Ehhhh. It was one panel and basically all we saw were smoke-lines around where the slashes were and then she was out.

EDIT:

He pretty blatantly kept the "violence" to a minimum here - hell, the hit is more implied than anything.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 17, 2015

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Miss Monday was pretty strong.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Ehhhh. It was one panel and basically all we saw were smoke-lines around where the slashes were and then she was out.

The trend is definitely there, though. When we first meet Alvida, she's ugly, and Luffy punches her hard. Then she eats a DF that "coincidentally" makes her beautiful and keeps her from getting physically hit at the same time. Look at the contortions Oda goes through to keep Usopp from actually hitting Perona (or Sugar, who's off-limits for the more understandable reason of looking like a child) with a projectile, and contrast what he does to Miss Merry Christmas. Miss Monday takes a blow to the head from Zoro, while he refuses to seriously fight Tashigi. Female protagonists (which mostly just means Nami) are allowed to attack attractive women, but not very hard, and none of Nami's enemies hit her very hard either. (Nami getting a shallow cut on the shoulder is treated as equivalent to Luffy getting impaled or Zoro getting his chest sliced open.)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 17, 2015

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I mean let's be fair Nami got pretty hosed up by Miss Doublefinger, she was bleeding out and everything. And even though it was self-inflicted, she got a pretty gruesome arm injury during the Arlong arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Monet, despite being fine in the end was at one point slashed into a nightmarish mismatched hash of arms and legs and shoggoth piss.