Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

sluggo is mad posted:

Everybody zergs, but we murder players alot and I'm not sure how the zergs could avoid each other on this map. Also, taking the center keeps and crowning an emp is fun and none of the other factions are gonna sit on their hands while you do that. We generally run in a smaller group and on the last run thru' AS were constantly outnumbered but it didnt seem to matter. There's a core of decent players and a host of bads, so numbers are often meaningless. If we ran small goon groups for pvp, i'm sure we'd do what we've done in the past., tower farms and grabbing any small scale fights we can find.

Azura's Star has a dude who has a fairly big twitch stream. He's a tiny lil man who loves to be emp. When his stream is up it births the buttzerg. Ironically, streamy guy hates being followed around by the buttzerg, but the buttzerg don't care. The buttzerg is dumb, bad and oh so juicy. Sometimes the buttzerg is in one place and impossible to displace, but usually the buttzerg comes to you in dribs and drabs, and then it is you moral duty to murder it. We spent a weekend night last week wiping the DC Feng lovers over and over again at the same drat farm. They just kept funneling into scope. So much AP and teabagging.

tl;dr: pvp is cool and good and you should play this game to do it

Is Emperor a feat only possible for the spergiest of the sperg grindlords? I read up on the basic mechanics but I'm not sure how it plays out in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hakarne posted:

Is Emperor a feat only possible for the spergiest of the sperg grindlords? I read up on the basic mechanics but I'm not sure how it plays out in practice.

By that metric Froido would be the spergiest goon, considering he's gotten emp on two characters.

Basically getting emperorship revolves around intra-faction politics. If your faction likes you, you are far more likely to get pushed for emp, even moreso with a good PvP guild at your back. That's how froid got his, and how I was on track to get it as well until I got lazy and started playing my Negate-dispensing sorc.

Alternatively, you can be a straight up shitlord fuckwad, join DC, and get in good with Fengrush and his band of jackasses and have them carry you to emp on any campaign with the DC streamer zerg.

In other news: it turns out that you can, in fact, gently caress with idiot pubbies. Khumbu and I spent about 30 minutes trolling and griefing the gently caress out of a bunch of idiots at a grind spot and pissing them off. Basically, I was on my DK tank (which I was using to pull large amounts of mobs for Khu to burn down with AoE for mass xp gain), and any time I saw a pubby about to pull aggro on any mobs, I would use my chains to pull them directly to me. Then I dropped Talons for insta-roots and then threw an Ash Cloud to further snare them. The grind spot turned into a fuckin war zone with idiots trying to tag any mobs before I could pull them to me so they could get at least *some* xp. Khu lost out on some grinding XP but IMO it was worth it just to see people raging in /zone, /say, and /yell chat.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Scyantific posted:

In other news: it turns out that you can, in fact, gently caress with idiot pubbies. Khumbu and I spent about 30 minutes trolling and griefing the gently caress out of a bunch of idiots at a grind spot and pissing them off. Basically, I was on my DK tank (which I was using to pull large amounts of mobs for Khu to burn down with AoE for mass xp gain), and any time I saw a pubby about to pull aggro on any mobs, I would use my chains to pull them directly to me. Then I dropped Talons for insta-roots and then threw an Ash Cloud to further snare them. The grind spot turned into a fuckin war zone with idiots trying to tag any mobs before I could pull them to me so they could get at least *some* xp. Khu lost out on some grinding XP but IMO it was worth it just to see people raging in /zone, /say, and /yell chat.

Can you post your DK tank build? I'm trying to figure that out myself, and I'm not using any of the skills you mentioned here. I might be going about this the wrong way.

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads

Hakarne posted:

Scyantific posted:

By that metric Froido would be the spergiest goon, considering he's gotten emp on two characters.

Basically getting emperorship revolves around intra-faction politics. If your faction likes you, you are far more likely to get pushed for emp, even moreso with a good PvP guild at your back. That's how froid got his, and how I was on track to get it as well until I got lazy and started playing my Negate-dispensing sorc.

I won't dispute it; I committed a 3-day weekend and part of my Holiday break grinding for it on my 2 respective runs.

Basically you devote all your playtime to Cyrodiil, religiously acquire the 1-hour AP buff (for killing a delve boss in cyrodiil), and try to stay online for longer than every other member of the faction to discourage anybody competing with you.

The char name helps as well, because I'm pretty sure me vaguely RPing as Freddie Mercury is the only reason any of the pugs were so zealous in helping my Magblade get Emp.

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads
Guess who's back?

And as big a baby as ever.

I don't think he meant to draw the comparison but I like that he just naturally assumes (even though he has no idea what my gear or build is) that a 2v1 with him still isn't inherently fair unless his solo opponent has additional restrictions.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Bustycops posted:

Guess who's back?

I don't think he meant to draw the comparison but I like that he just naturally assumes (even though he has no idea what my gear or build is) that a 2v1 with him still isn't inherently fair unless his solo opponent has additional restrictions.

but my e-honour :qq:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I think they called it "Space Bushido" in EVE, and it was just as stupid.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Scyantific posted:

This was loving hilarious, the experience points lost were well worth the comedy. Proof that no matter how many layers of kid gloves modern MMOs try to put on PvE mechanics, the potential to grief is always there :allears:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Remember, Greef is an in-universe brandy.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Aramek posted:

I think they called it "Space Bushido" in EVE, and it was just as stupid.
I recall reading that "E-Bushido" was something that was coined with the Mechwarrior series in the latter '90s. :v:

extra row of teeth posted:

This was loving hilarious, the experience points lost were well worth the comedy. Proof that no matter how many layers of kid gloves modern MMOs try to put on PvE mechanics, the potential to grief is always there :allears:
The best part is that, unless it was changed, there are a few ways of preventing this: if any of the pubbies had healed one of them, they would've gotten full credit for all the mob kills. But they decided to rage in chat instead. :downs:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Except the xp value diminishes for each additional person that hits it. That's why it was an XP loss for Khumbu.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Scyantific posted:

Except the xp value diminishes for each additional person that hits it. That's why it was an XP loss for Khumbu.

This. It's also why if you want to grind, you really need to either do it with a dedicated partner or grind solo. 3 or more people and the exp dives off a loving cliff. A lot of MMOs do diminishing returns per player added after large groups so that people don't just mindlessly zerg with zero difficulty (most people grind mindlessly and easily anyway, making that pointless), but for some stupid reason ESO's efficiency caps out at 2. This sucks not only for larger groups of friends who want to play together, but also for grinders because with the current player population and 1T, most of the good grinding spots are camped to hell already.

Any mechanic in a MMO that discourages group play is dumb and backwards and causes situations like the one stated above.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Bustycops posted:

Guess who's back?

You had best watch out, he has a sick rememberance/endless hail combo on his...whatever the gently caress templar build he is running (with drinks! and not food, apparently)

edit: and I happily ulti bombed him 1v1 in BWB on my magsorc while he was "rallying" the AD forces, because Vurian.

DoriDori240 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 25, 2017

Jesus Condumb
Oct 25, 2012

DoriDori240 posted:

By stupid you mean the best possible outcome for GDB, then yes. Well, way better than before anyways.

What? I don't give no fucks about GDB. If you like the changes good, I'm happy too. I was referring to the fact I'm about to critical heal for like 15-20K on a mDK.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Jesus Condumb posted:

What? I don't give no fucks about GDB. If you like the changes good, I'm happy too. I was referring to the fact I'm about to critical heal for like 15-20K on a mDK.

35k magicka + 3k spell damage gives a 7.5k tooltip. Cut that in half for PvP, and then add 33% to it at the maximum. Compound that onto the sustain issues that most mDKs have and it's only going to help partially.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Have they made any PvP changes yet?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Gonna start playing this again this weekend, any suggestions on the "funnest" class/spec to play? I think I was a Templar last time. Probably gonna be mostly solo.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Out of what I've tried so far, I'm having the most fun with DPS magicka dragonknight. It's very much a glass cannon, apparently isn't good in PvP, and is one of the cases where there is one clear best race choice (Dunmer), but it has a lot of easy synergies and I just have a lot of fun running around torching enemies.

I haven't played magicka Nightblade extensively yet, but that's also looking pretty fun, with a playstyle strongly focused on debuffs. It might not even be the class so much as a convenient excuse for me to wield an ice destruction staff. Dragonknight strongly favors fire, and sorcerer strongly favors lightning, but I don't think any class has special synergies with ice.

Werewolf is an ultimate that is kind of a class in itself, and is the main reason I've kept playing my stamsorc, though it would work with any stamina build. You have to kill enemies quickly and devour them to allow yourself to stay in werewolf form, and it's fun to speedrun delves this way. Also, Pounce is hilarious and will let you vault over gaps to attack enemies, and I've noticed other players get momentarily spooked when you swoop in from out of nowhere to maul the enemy they're fighting. It sucks and is slow to level until you unlock devour, though.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

boho posted:

Have they made any PvP changes yet?

proc sets won't crit

mdks got a very tiny bit of love

you'll be able to buy a buncha sets with tel var

so really, not really

In summary: fengrush is still short and fun to kill and destro ult parties are still alot of fun

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Seems like a couple of other pvp changes maybe?

Aren't they changing AoE caps? If so that will change dynamics a lot.

There is a weird thing related to the DK heal. Frost staff blocking uses magicka now instead of stam? Seems like there might be all sorts of block builds trying that, maybe even flipping between stam and magicka pools for blocking. I might try a fire/ice destro build on a DK so I can lower magicka defensively for a heal. Something like that. Probably not, but I imagine others will make frost builds for blocking and such.

I am wanting to make a primarily light wearing MagDK. I tried a 'ghost', build using Shadow Dancer and Silks of the Sun. This should have run about like a stam Nights Silence/Autamton, but doesn't. The sustains are all wrong and I can't find a solution on DK. On a stamplar Restoring regens magicka during Mist and and Power of Light sets up a very good burst.

I can't seem to figure out how to get any real burst with a MagDK though Lava Whip is getting buffed and the Flame Lash morph is already pretty good if you can trigger the off balance buff. Woven with destro fire heavies it has possibilities maybe? Buffed with the current broken build (armor and cp all wrong) I seem to be able to hit around 20k dps on single pve targets, which is a start I guess

I changed my MagDK from a lizard to a dark elf just to see, since I have never run anything that was the right race for a class. I know I am a race traitor, but the delf looks pretty Old Testament fire and brimstone. I like it ok, but let's me see that the lizards self heals are incredibly underrated if you optimize them.

I am abandoning the shadow dancer set, though it has the same quality as Nights Silence where it makes your sneak speed faster than your normal speed, which when combined with Mist makes you very zippy and sneaky. I am currently building a Spinner set (high magicka pen) to go with silks. Silks has a lower buff than Spellweaver, but it it is constant. When a buff has a proc chance I consider that by deducting the percentage from the value (used in financial planning). E.g. burning spellweaver has a 20% chance to proc giving 600 spdmg. This means that over time we could consider it a 480 buff, so 80 more without considering the 4sec downtime even if you get perfect back to back procs. I think the burning status is redundant with most fire DK builds maybe.

So 5 Spinners, 5 Silks and summin else. Maybe Maw or something.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Could someone shoot @Hurion a guild invite? Also, which discord are we using?

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
We haven't been using discord like we should. I think you still need an invite from scy

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Discord link is in the OP.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'm really digging magblade and appreciate the beginner guide. What should I be gearing for as far as armor enchants? Obviously magicka will be the primary but do I want any health or other enchants for leveling and/or endgame?

And just to confirm you should never dump points into health when you level right? I see lots of other places saying to go for a 3:1 ratio of magicka:health but I'm assuming they're dumb and bad unless the OP is out of date or something.

Basically I need a magblade intermediate/advanced guide. Thanks. :)

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads

Hakarne posted:

I'm really digging magblade and appreciate the beginner guide. What should I be gearing for as far as armor enchants? Obviously magicka will be the primary but do I want any health or other enchants for leveling and/or endgame?

And just to confirm you should never dump points into health when you level right? I see lots of other places saying to go for a 3:1 ratio of magicka:health but I'm assuming they're dumb and bad unless the OP is out of date or something.

Basically I need a magblade intermediate/advanced guide. Thanks. :)

It's easier and cheaper to just Glyph for Health, or use healthy jewelry if you find you want a little extra. Generally speaking 17k~ Health is alright if you know what you're doing, and are comfortable keeping up Annulment (light armor Shield) when thinks get tricky.

Otherwise running 18-20k~ Health is a safer alternative.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is health regen ever relevant?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Looking for some advice from some of you who have played a lot of classes. I am playing stamblade and have gotten to lvl 33. I am going to make an alt to do some of the other factions content - I know I can do it with my main but I thought it would be fun to play a class with some different mechanics than what I am used to. So although it is arbitrary, I am wondering what some of your favorite classes are.

I have made a magblade, magplar and magdk so far and run them through some of the lower levels. I like them all, which does not make this easy. The Templar feels really powerful but slow to kill things, and is basically just spamming aedric spear. The dk kills faster and generally seems fun so far but I read it is garbage in pvp (not a huge issue since right now I am focused on pve dps). The magblade also seems fun and has a lot going on but is also slow to kill things - it feels really strong though since I am constantly hearing myself.

I haven't tried sorc yet. I am not adverse to trying another stamina build but I though magicka builds would be the biggest contrast in playstyles going from stamblade. It could be fun to play some stamina character with 2 hand weapons but I haven't found any character that use them in pve...lots of dual wield builds or sword and board tanks but is there any strong dps class that uses 2 handers?

I am trying to avoid jumping between like 4 classes and would like to choose one but I don't know what to expect further down the leveling treadmill so any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Is health regen ever relevant?

Unreduceable heal every 2 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxXnwhJK9bE

Imagine getting 3-6k health every 2 seconds while in an engagement that cannot be reduced by debuffs.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

That's why I rock Troll King on my healer in PvP.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Aramek posted:

I Troll King in PvP

You should write a guide, your majesty!

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I'd like an invite, please: @silvanax

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Just wanted to give a shout out to the goons last night for putting up with my noobishness while doing dungeons in Craglorn.

Just getting back into all this after playing in beta and everyone has been really cool about going through random dungeons with me and carrying me through the really hard stuff.

You all are awesome!

deathrat
May 25, 2010
An invite would be most welcome: @deathrat

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

VVARDENFELL HYPE

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
So, I got a slew (sic?) of rage tells tonight in AS. One dude I got to kill 6 times, but apparently I jumped a group of spectators watching some dual poo poo. Mattfire was upset I wouldn't follow him and gently caress me if it didn't make me think AS is toxic. We did de-emp DC right before shutdown, that was fun.

sluggo is mad fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 31, 2017

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads
I want it to be Craglorn II, and I'm kind of serious; another zone with a bunch of overworld group events on it would be sweet.

Also I hope we get to kill dunmer, like lots of them.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2017/01/30/discover-the-next-chapter-for-eso

vigorously winking irl

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I didn't know Morrowind turns 15 in May. That's ridiculous.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Scyantific posted:

Every single Magicka DK main right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Wf2RbjSl4

I wasn't quite sure how to interpret this from the context of the following posts - was Magicka DK in a really great place, and now just in a reasonably balanced place?

Are they still reasonable for a newbie to use as a first character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

The oldest profession in Tamriel.

Also, here's another little "this game world is really loving pretty" screenshot dump.

Stros M'Kai

Stonefalls

Malabal Tor

Coldharbor