Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

zeal posted:

it was fiiine

atilla was better tho

atilla was good but the problem is that it was so hard I played as eastern rome and I figured out the way you win is you let barbarisn attack your city and then you make all your men hold a line inside this one part of every city that had a single choke point and they kill like 10x their number

but then 90% of my time was babysitting those battles which got boring fast

even field battles was 90% the same since optimal way to win is to encamp and let the enemy attack you and you kill them at fort chokepoints but then it's like 90% of all battles are exact same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zeal posted:

atilla was better tho

"The second standalone is better" is a truism at this point, whether you're talking about Napoleon, Fall of the Samurai, or Atilla

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
also climate change mechanic is bullshit why the gently caress does my land get less fertile in egypt

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
the best Total War game is the one with frog wizards, dinosaurs, nosferatus and ents

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

atilla was good but the problem is that it was so hard I played as eastern rome and I figured out the way you win is you let barbarisn attack your city and then you make all your men hold a line inside this one part of every city that had a single choke point and they kill like 10x their number

even field battles was 90% the same since optimal way to win is to encamp and let the enemy attack you and you kill them at fort chokepoints but then it's like 90% of all battles are exact same

i once got one of the german migrant tribes to egypt and settled there to establish a germanic pagan pharaonic dynasty on the nile

it ruled

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I would say Total War works best like in Shogun and Shogun 2, where everyone is operating in the same method of warfare and they all have basically the same units except for one or two gimmicks and faction bonuses for flavor. But that's basically how Empire: Total War worked and it was not good.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Just wipe out global communications, JC. I know it sounds bad, but people will be forced to become engaged in their local communities. The city itself will be the basis of new polities which will have greater cause to cooperate with each other in a new enlightened age.

Historically the inability to communicate fomented distrust between communities, which was often the basis of conflict. How do we know that the historical processes of state, nation, and empire building won't repeat themselves in a world where people can no longer relate to foreigners?

What's that JC? *making static noises with mouth* You're too close to the reactor *krrrkkk* los-ng comm-cations *kkrrrrkk* push t- button

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autism Sneaks posted:

the best Total War game is the one with frog wizards, dinosaurs, nosferatus and ents

no

the mortal empires campaign for that one is the best total war game

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I would say Total War works best like in Shogun and Shogun 2, where everyone is operating in the same method of warfare and they all have basically the same units except for one or two gimmicks and faction bonuses for flavor. But that's basically how Empire: Total War worked and it was not good.

otoh, total warhammer, which is enriched tremendously by the different factions operating very very differently

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

zeal posted:

otoh, total warhammer, which is enriched tremendously by the different factions operating very very differently

Warhammer is also a setting that's not constrained by an actually existing historical context, so you can just make up whatever you want to maintain game balance. In a setting like Rome's there's gonna be some major faction imbalances. Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 are the top tier TW titles, imo.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I really enjoyed Napoleon. The problem was that the AI rarely met me in field battles, and the map was so large it just dragged on after a while, and it's not like the distant nations would just leave you alone like in other Total War settings.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

zeal posted:

no

the mortal empires campaign for that one is the best total war game

you need mortal empires in TWW2 to play the nosferatus or ents so it was implied, smart guy :colbert:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Just wipe out global communications, JC. I know it sounds bad, but people will be forced to become engaged in their local communities. The city itself will be the basis of new polities which will have greater cause to cooperate with each other in a new enlightened age.

Historically the inability to communicate fomented distrust between communities, which was often the basis of conflict. How do we know that the historical processes of state, nation, and empire building won't repeat themselves in a world where people can no longer relate to foreigners?

What's that JC? *making static noises with mouth* You're too close to the reactor *krrrkkk* los-ng comm-cations *kkrrrrkk* push t- button

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

"The second standalone is better" is a truism at this point, whether you're talking about Napoleon, Fall of the Samurai, or Atilla

what the gently caress shogun 2 was better than fots

fots looked way better tho

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I still wish they went with Tongs ending as "canon" for Invisible War, since tribal cyberpunk sounds like a cool setting idea.

Instead, we got a daggerfall coupout, but without the centuries of time and a completely foreign land to keep people away from that narrative mess. "All endings are true! This won't turn into a thematic mess that ultimately changes nothing in the setting! :downs:"

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Helios!Denton did nothing wrong

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The malfunctioning nanomachinez conceit was real dumb

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Im sad there win be a sequel to mankind divided, or hell, an actual complete game, because squeenix decided the franchise was unprofitable and sunk it

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

rudatron posted:

Im sad there win be a sequel to mankind divided, or hell, an actual complete game, because squeenix decided the franchise was unprofitable and sunk it

Well they self sabotaged by trying to serialize it in the dumbest way possible

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
But both that and the micro transactions were forced on by the producers, not the dev team.

In other words, squeenix made them break up the game and add stupid micros, the game fails because of said features, and said failure is used by the same producers to shut it all down

Kind of ironic that a game about corporate corruption itself succumbs to late capitalism

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hitman kinda worked out w episodic content, but it's also a game that is perfectly designed for it and also didn't have microtransactions and was also really loving good. they still sold it off

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they wasted so much money on final fantasy games they tanked every other actually profitable series they had to make up for it

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
counterpoint: Just Cause

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0lJc3PMNIg

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Say what you will about the Juche idea, but they wouldn't have let these little pissants just jerk around. There would be some choreography goddamnit.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Say what you will about the Juche idea, but they wouldn't have let these little pissants just jerk around. There would be some choreography goddamnit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNBfBr-OGU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My parents got me a book full of North Korean iconography for Christmas and it owns

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m posting from China ITT and holy poo poo they have a lot of bikes just laying about

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Jose posted:

My parents got me a book full of North Korean iconography for Christmas and it owns

Good to know your parents are tankies I guess

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would you guys play a FPS where you have to escape from the recycling tanks?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i want a tower defense game but it's building psi defenses and resonance shielding against hordes of encroaching mindworms

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Rand alPaul posted:

Would you guys play a FPS where you have to escape from the recycling tanks?

um no b/c it's every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the one neat thing about Macross Frontier is that the colony ships had biomass recyclers, and instead of being buried, cremated, or shooting your body into the void they just toss your corpse into the recycling vat and hold a funeral. Anyway I'm pretty sure they lifted that from Alpha Centauri.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
that's too much of a stretch, space colonization has been a constant area of study/fantasy since the 70s, along with basic ecological ideas of recycling everything, not terribly hard to jump from that to -> human corpse recycling

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

I just play all the games outside of Shogun with Mods. Makes the games funner. Best Mod IMO is Broken Cresent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dreddout posted:

they spotted in a bookstore and thought i'd like it. and i do

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dreddout posted:

Better Tankies then liberals who whine about Russian interference in elections

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreddout posted:

this but unironically

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Tankie parents would rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Taintrunner posted:

I’m posting from China ITT and holy poo poo they have a lot of bikes just laying about

yeah it owns. whereabouts