Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also, there is the weird undercurrent that Russia is leading a lot of these Neo-Nazi movements that are openly endorsed by the Russia government and that conservative parties, across the world, are allying or at least have a nominal relationship with those Russian movements is worrying.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Pakled posted:

So whatever happened to that "suicide pact" between Tillerson and Mattis?

They're hanging in a White House bathroom as we speak.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Brony Car posted:

What should Obama have done in Syria? All the options that people wanting more active involvement in sounded like surefire roads to yet another Forever War.

Obama did the right thing. We backed the Kurdish militias and helped enable Iraqi offensives to retake ISIS-controlled territory. We then backed Syrian rebels to fight ISIS and defend themselves from Assad's gas bombs.

Allowing ISIS to exist was a much worse choice than helping allies to overthrow it.

Russia showing up and being like "gently caress all these US allies that are also fighting our boy Assad" was an unforseen gently caress you from across the Dnieper.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ague Proof posted:

I think you'll find both died in simultaneous freak piano-moving accidents.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

there's virtually nothing that can fix a malicious party holding all elected branches of government: you need to figure out how to prevent malicious parties from getting into power in the first place

Or limit the damage any Executive can do, for example how about repealing the War Powers Act?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

I read this with a ‘b’, and thought we’d had a sequel to Endorph’s magnum opus.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's crazy that the gop took absolute control of the government after destroying the global economy AND creating al-qaeda but worse.

Glazier posted:

Or limit the damage any Executive can do, for example how about repealing the War Powers Act?

yeah.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/973552250558828544

Schumer is so loving weak.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm sure Trump acting like Putin's personal bitchmade fuckboy at every turn, without exception, is entirely coincidental and has no relationship to anything anyone should be worried about.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's crazy that the gop took absolute control of the government after destroying the global economy AND creating al-qaeda but worse.

In times of crisis and chaos fascists usually do quite well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

https://twitter.com/spettypi/status/973562457741582341

Weren't they saying it was over the Iran deal like 5 minutes ago?
I'm not an expert but isn't it enough that he's already been confirm for the CIA position?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah he sucks poo poo and needs to go.

Radish posted:

Regardless of your opinion on the Democrats it's pretty clear that Schumer has no business being the leader of the Senate.

i guess they live in a bubble since most of them are rich white people but how do you still think you can work with the republicans after everything that's happened.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 13, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Regardless of your opinion on the Democrats it's pretty clear that Schumer has no business being the leader of the Senate Democrats. I can't imagine him doing the sort of underhanded poo poo that will need to be done if the Democrats become the majority.

EDIT: corrected mistake

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 13, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
ICE Spokesman quit over being asked to mislead the public and reporters.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ontent=20180313

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

Hah, well that's what I get for being out of reach of news stations while on the highway. What a hell of an infrastructure week.

Always have your car radio tuned to NPR, it was all over this morning. The incredulous tone of voice as they read the State Dept's statement about Tillerson having nfc why he's fired was 1000 yard stare worthy.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/PARISDENNARD/status/973548214061293568

Thank God it's Friday already.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Radish posted:

Regardless of your opinion on the Democrats it's pretty clear that Schumer has no business being the leader of the Senate. I can't imagine him doing the sort of underhanded poo poo that will need to be done if the Democrats become the majority.

The leader of the Senate is actually Mike Pence, but yes. That too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah he sucks poo poo and needs to go.

i guess they live in a bubble since most of them are rich white people but how do you still think you can work with the republicans after everything that's happened.

To Schumer the Republican party is closer to his ideology than to the average Democratic voter most likely.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How insane do you have to be to think that "Putin literally makes Trump's decisions for him" is more plausible than "Trump and co. have interests in Russia and their foreign policy is aligned towards that end"

What about the history of Vladimir Putin's political career leads you to believe that he's this hands-off kinda guy who just lets the chips fall his way?

The assumption that the Putin government is brazenly interfering in the machinations of politics is not driven by insane conspiracy theories, Pablo. Putin only makes the barest of attempts to even make his conspiracies at all look anything remotely "secretive". He openly poisons foreign political operatives, invades neighboring countries with militias, and jails opposition candidates.

Did you just learn that Russian politics existed last year? That's the only explanation I can come up with for your inane disbelief in Russian political interference. I could even understand that you think "they wouldn't possibly make it that obvious", only if you have no knowledge of the last 10 years of Russian foreign policy, where they don't actually make any real attempt to hide that they're behind things, as it's the modus operandi of their strong-arm projection of power.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 13, 2018

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How insane do you have to be to think that "Putin literally makes Trump's decisions for him" is more plausible than "Trump and co. have interests in Russia and their foreign policy is aligned towards that end"

That's literally the assumption most of us are making when deciding on the motivation for this firing.

Also, Putin did interfere in the election to help Trump, and Trump's campaign likely knew about it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"Look guys the neighborhood is burning so you're pretty dumb for caring that you're standing in the middle of a house fire. Think of the big picture."

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Imagine the GOP pulling out a win in PA-18 tonight. What’s the messaging going to be? “Trump is a dumpster fire today but at least we won a meaningless race we shouldn’t have lost anyways”

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Radish posted:

To Schumer the Republican party is closer to his ideology than to the average Democratic voter most likely.

The theoretical Republican party, maybe (all rich guys obsessed with low taxes). But the one that exists in real life, the one that is about 2 steps away from the Nazi party? No.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Democrats aren't gonna become the majority in the Senate anyway, this year's map is horrible for them and it would take a historically unprecedented turnaround for them to win. We got lucky in Alabama in that Roy Moore ended up being a uniquely horrible candidate, Republicans aren't going to nominate pedophiles everywhere.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

For those of you who might forget, Katrina Pierson is the Bullet Farmer:

The

Best

People

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BarbarianElephant posted:

The theoretical Republican party, maybe (all rich guys obsessed with low taxes). But the one that exists in real life, the one that is about 2 steps away from the Nazi party? No.

Yeah fair enough.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is why the Russiagate poo poo is so infuriating - like, no poo poo, Trump has interests in Russia, he's a businessman. Everyone seems to think that having Russian interests is the core problem rather than a broken system that allows people like Trump to get even REMOTELY close to being able to be in a position of power.

You know, lots of buisnessmen don't have meetings with russia where they leak a bunch of israeli military secrets for no apparent reason.

Like at some point maybe investigate "hey maybe trump is doing this" and not hide behind "what a poor man, that innocent lenny trump, always accidently stumbling into helping russia! it's so tragic he's so dumb on this!"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pakled posted:

Republicans aren't going to nominate pedophiles everywhere.

Yeah, but not every race is alabama either.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Retro42 posted:

Imagine the GOP pulling out a win in PA-18 tonight. What’s the messaging going to be? “Trump is a dumpster fire today but at least we won a meaningless race we shouldn’t have lost anyways”

I can't imagine today's decisions are going to do the GOP any favors in that race.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

You're missing the very real reason for Congressional abdication of authorization for war.

They didn't want to be electorally responsible for the outcomes of those decisions.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Oh boy, here we go.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Pakled posted:

Democrats aren't gonna become the majority in the Senate anyway, this year's map is horrible for them and it would take a historically unprecedented turnaround for them to win. We got lucky in Alabama in that Roy Moore ended up being a uniquely horrible candidate, Republicans aren't going to nominate pedophiles everywhere.

Almost all of the races since the election have swung to the same degree as the one in Alabama, in favor of the Democrats, even in "safe" districts.

No, this is not at all historically unprecedented. I think you need to go back and look at the history of midterm elections in sitting presidents' first terms. The Dems only have to pick up a net of two seats to get the Senate.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Zophar posted:

I can't imagine today's decisions are going to do the GOP any favors in that race.

Me either, I’m just trying to figure out what path they could use to turn a win tonight into a bigger thing. Everything points to Trump just absolutely making GBS threads all over that possibility.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You know, lots of buisnessmen don't have meetings with russia where they leak a bunch of israeli military secrets for no apparent reason.

Like at some point maybe investigate "hey maybe trump is doing this" and not hide behind "what a poor man, that innocent lenny trump, always accidently stumbling into helping russia! it's so tragic he's so dumb on this!"

Yeah I'll admit I am tired of seeing the conspiracy theorists on the left making everything about Russia, but there is something there and it's not a nothing story.

Chilichimp posted:

You're missing the very real reason for Congressional abdication of authorization for war.

They didn't want to be electorally responsible for the outcomes of those decisions.

Oh I know, I might have said I want to have a Westminster style Parliament, it has the same chance of happening.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pretty soon these aren't going to fit in 280 characters.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Obama asked Congress to authorize him to strike Syria, after the Republicans dogged him for it and they all backed off.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Hey Americans, how does it feel being under the iron heel of President Putin anyway? Is he still doing all those publicity stunts with abs and all?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

RagnarokZ posted:

Hey Americans, how does it feel being under the iron heel of President Putin anyway? Is he still doing all those publicity stunts with abs and all?

The sad part is, for most people, it's not that different. Only "those" people, who we hate anyway, are bearing the brunt of it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

RagnarokZ posted:

Sadly our Putin is off brand and isn't even manly with lots of bullshit posing and animals and Photoshop to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Glazier posted:

The sad part is, for most people, it's not that different. Only "those" people, who we hate anyway, are bearing the brunt of it.

Niemoller might have a poem about that...

• Locked thread