Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s also possible that known exaggerator and crazy guy billiam corgi is fibbing about a super costly repress of a (relatively speaking) obscure album to help keep himself in the good graces of his diehard fans so they’ll keep funding his current projects

*DING DING DING*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Djarum posted:

From what I understand the issue is basically getting the poo poo pressed on vinyl. The Gish, SD, and Adore records are still selling crazy and can't keep up with demand, MCIS is 4 LP with an expensive package and is HEAVILY backordered still. Machina is going to be at least 4 LP as well which they would have to take time away from the stuff that is already out, selling out instantly and backordered to release something else which will add one more thing to that boat. There just isn't enough plant capacity to do it all.

If that was true there is no way they could have released Atum or even attempted to in the first place. It doesn't make sense and I also really doubt that Gish etc. are still selling like crazy all these years after they were reissued. I mean really? There's just crazy demand for Gish vinyls which were released over a decade ago?

Also I just checked and places have them in stock and for sale so yeah...

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s also possible that known exaggerator and crazy guy billiam corgi is fibbing about a super costly repress of a (relatively speaking) obscure album to help keep himself in the good graces of his diehard fans so they’ll keep funding his current projects

It's weird he still leans into being a starving artist while being stupidly rich and obsessively bragging about how many popular artists he's outsold (according to David Pajo who I had to look up after an earlier post) and apparently being a ghost writer of some of the biggest hits of the past decade or whatever, which would only make him even more absurdly rich than he already is if true.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SUNKOS posted:

If that was true there is no way they could have released Atum or even attempted to in the first place. It doesn't make sense and I also really doubt that Gish etc. are still selling like crazy all these years after they were reissued. I mean really? There's just crazy demand for Gish vinyls which were released over a decade ago?

It's why Atum released in the wacky three parts and whatnot. They needed the lead time to get the vinyl pressed. It was all mostly limited pressing and whatnot for preorders.

And yeah Gish, SD and Adore sell like crazy on vinyl. When they come back into stock every couple of months it is a limit one per order and tend to sell out quick. The MCIS finally got repressed when they announced the Jane's Addiction tour for the first time in a couple of years and sold out instantly everywhere. It was being scalped immediately for twice the price and right now the cheapest you can get one is for 225 bucks on Discogs. Gish and SD when the restocks dry up easily go for double. For whatever reason the Smashing Pumpkins stuff is highly desirable on vinyl more so than most other catalog stuff from the same era.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

SUNKOS posted:

It's weird he still leans into being a starving artist while being stupidly rich and obsessively bragging about how many popular artists he's outsold (according to David Pajo who I had to look up after an earlier post) and apparently being a ghost writer of some of the biggest hits of the past decade or whatever, which would only make him even more absurdly rich than he already is if true.

Propping up your partners meat free tea Emporium ain't cheap

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If BC has secretly ghost-written a bunch of hits in the last decade, why is all his stuff so loving terrible and unpopular?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Where did that rumor come from anyway?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Djarum posted:

It's why Atum released in the wacky three parts and whatnot.

I thought that was because they wanted to release it before it was finished, like they did with prior albums and projects. At this point it's something that Billy is kinda notorious for, is committing to something and releasing it piece-by-piece and maybe the whole thing comes out (Atum) or maybe it doesn't (whatever that weird bullshit album things he tried before were) with the most recent example being his memoir or whatever where apparently he wanted to release the first half of the book and the publisher insisted that if he wants to publish a book it has to be complete. Were these mysterious vinyl pressing issues the reason he couldn't finish his book as well?

And poo poo, if you're an obnoxiously wealthy guy and also the only musician on the planet who struggles getting vinyls pressed, why the hell would you choose Atum over a Machina reissue since apparently the reissues are the guaranteed hot sellers and Atum was an immediate flop after the first part released yet he still kept having vinyls pressed for the project and remaining parts? It's not like he's afraid to just walk away from incomplete projects.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Here :haw:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ratios and Tendency posted:

If BC has secretly ghost-written a bunch of hits in the last decade, why is all his stuff so loving terrible and unpopular?

The songs for the new stuff isn't awful. It's generally the presentation and especially the production that's the problem. Although I wonder if it is like Rivers Cuomo who does some ghost writing as well that he just writes better for other people now than himself.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I have heard it for over a half dozen unconnected people in various positions in the music industry. It is people who I have known for a very long time and I would have no reason to believe they would all randomly lie to me about it at different times.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SUNKOS posted:

I thought that was because they wanted to release it before it was finished, like they did with prior albums and projects. At this point it's something that Billy is kinda notorious for, is committing to something and releasing it piece-by-piece and maybe the whole thing comes out (Atum) or maybe it doesn't (whatever that weird bullshit album things he tried before were) with the most recent example being his memoir or whatever where apparently he wanted to release the first half of the book and the publisher insisted that if he wants to publish a book it has to be complete. Were these mysterious vinyl pressing issues the reason he couldn't finish his book as well?

And poo poo, if you're an obnoxiously wealthy guy and also the only musician on the planet who struggles getting vinyl pressed, why the hell would you choose Atum over a Machina reissue since apparently the reissues are the guaranteed hot sellers and Atum was an immediate flop after the first part released yet he still kept having vinyl pressed for the project and remaining parts? It's not like he's afraid to just walk away from incomplete projects.

Naw the thing was done long before they officially released it. I believe the tracking for it all was done back in early 2021. They were recording it before Cyr was even released. I think they have like two other albums sitting in the can already; that Christmas album and the one after this.

And he is far from the only musician on the planet that struggles to get vinyl pressed. The average wait time is about 9-11 months right now. I have friends right now that have been waiting for over a year to receive their orders since the labels are paying big bucks for Taylor Swift and Adael to skip the line. Also it is two different companies handling the music. All the classic stuff is on Virgin and the new record is on Sony. I am sure Billy would love to just shove poo poo out there willy nilly but labels are notorious in loving around with catalog stuff. There isn't a great reason to take a chance on Machina when it was a flop on release when you can spend that same plant time and money on pressing another run of MCIS that is sure to sell out.

It sucks but it is a business and they are going to milk the easy money as long as they can.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
What's the wait time like for cassette duplication?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

olives black posted:

What's the wait time like for cassette duplication?

You know that theory about how the universe is going to expand to a point, and then collapse down how it started, only to start expanding again, creating life just as it did and everything anyone has ever done they will all do again?

That long, minus like 30 years.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know that theory about how the universe is going to expand to a point, and then collapse down how it started, only to start expanding again, creating life just as it did and everything anyone has ever done they will all do again?

That long, minus like 30 years.

:smith:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Djarum posted:

There isn't a great reason to take a chance on Machina when it was a flop on release when you can spend that same plant time and money on pressing another run of MCIS that is sure to sell out.

What's funny is they just announced a new archive release of a random show he played at Madame Zuzu's which is vinyl-only. I wonder why they're dedicating such limited resources to that if the reissues that make a fortune but are also not worth releasing (?!) could be pressed instead? :haw:

Come to think of it, why announce a huge Zwan box set as well when that was nowhere near as popular?

For all the supposed poo poo-talking Billy did of the White Stripes (according to Pajo) and how SP were way bigger, at least Jack built his own vinyl pressing plant so he doesn't have these issues. I'd hazard a guess Jack shifts a lot more units than SP does as well given him still being culturally relevant and he's pressing other bands from his label too. Apparently he even set a record for vinyl sales. Maybe Billy should have invested in music rather than tea shops and wrestling.

Really though I'll hazard a guess that Machina is never coming out. The reissue was officially finished in January of 2021 after Billy spent a lot of time and money fighting for the rights to the album but we'll probably never know what's actually happened to it. I'm guessing he saw the masters shapeshift into a lizard and set them on fire or something.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SUNKOS posted:

What's funny is they just announced a new archive release of a random show he played at Madame Zuzu's which is vinyl-only. I wonder why they're dedicating such limited resources to that if the reissues that make a fortune but are also not worth releasing (?!) could be pressed instead? :haw:

Because he can pay for that himself, he's not the one making the decisions about when a Machina rerelease happens. If Virgin sees an opening they're going to prioritize the things they know for sure they can sell more of.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Baron von Eevl posted:

Because he can pay for that himself, he's not the one making the decisions about when a Machina rerelease happens. If Virgin sees an opening they're going to prioritize the things they know for sure they can sell more of.

That’s basically it. Virgin is calling the shots with it all. They could do another repress of the Aeroplane Flies High on vinyl and make a ton of money as well.

The big issue is just pressing plant capacity. This isn’t the 70s and 80s where you have giant plants with hundreds of presses going 24/7 anymore. There are a limited amount of presses in the world, a lot of them are older so they require significant maintenance to keep them running. There aren’t a ton of new ones being made so even if you had infinite money to try and increase production you are limited by how fast the few manufacturers can make new presses. You can’t just crank out 10000 records like it is nothing anymore.

Even Jack White with owning Third Man can’t get enough White Stripes stuff pressed to handle demand. Catalog stuff is huge, especially for anything made from 1990 to 2015. A lot of things from that era either didn’t get a vinyl release at all or a extremely limited one so there is already a demand there from vinyl enthusiasts to get a lot of that stuff. You know someone who just got a turntable is going to get classic albums, Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Van Halen, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Pumpkins, Dr. Dre, Beastie Boys, etc. So much of the capacity is being taken up by that stuff it is hard to squeeze other stuff in.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

SUNKOS posted:

This is really backwards reasoning. That show was from 4 or 5 years ago, and was professionally recorded. It's not like Corgan woke up last week and drove the master down to his local pressing plant on a whim, if anything the massive delay between the show and its release indicates he's having as hard a time getting poo poo pressed as anyone else who hasn't hosed John Mayer.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Even if he did, and Atum probably wasn't on a shelf for that long, that's him prioritizing it. The people making the call about Machina are worried about selling records as quickly and for as much money as possible and SD is a much safer bet.

Did they ever fix the issues with the MCIS vinyl? I remember when it came out people complaining that like Zero was cut too hot near the center of its disc and got hosed up or skipped or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

One of the things Billy complains the most about is the music industry and hit songs and how different that is from art or whatever so while it was hard to believe when I read it it did make a certain amount of sense afterwards.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Baron von Eevl posted:

The people making the call about Machina are worried about selling records as quickly and for as much money as possible and SD is a much safer bet.

I think I guessed right about Machina never being released then if the people making the decisions will always choose other releases. It does make me wonder how the Adore reissue ever saw the light of day however, and how pissed Billy must be for having spent such a long time and so much money dealing with the legal hassle of securing the rights for Machina, then working on remaking the album as originally intended with new artwork etc., only for his investment to be for naught while every other project under the sun is prioritized over it.

Then again, given recent revelations, it's very difficult to feel sorry for Billy having lost a lot of time and money for nothing :shrug:

Surely he knows the Zwan box set is also a waste of time because it will never be released either? If Machina isn't being pressed there's no way Zwan will be.

Sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-shame the whole reissue is supposedly held back by the vinyl version however. They should just put out the CD/digital versions and let the vinyl folk wait until the universe implodes.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
tbh if billy really wanted money or to get the material out there he could just release this poo poo digitally like every other SP box set so far

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Zwan was on Reprise/Warner. Yet another label.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Regarding Billy Corgan ghostwriting stuff, this is sensitive and downer talk since it's regarding the latest Foo Fighters album which covers the loss of both Taylor and Dave's mother, Virignia, which apparently happened at very close times which is even more tragic.

Just listened to the album and the final track climaxes so closely to For Martha from Adore. It stuck out to me instantly because the notes and distortion and way it plays out is reeeeeeally similar to For Martha. This Foo Fighters track (Rest) also ends similarly to For Martha by all that tension and build-up of noise giving way to a quiet outro, albeit much briefer than For Martha.

It's bizarre because I can't imagine Dave and Billy being friends, nor Dave having someone ghost write such a personal song, but after the talk in this thread of Billy writing for other artists it's the first thing that popped into my head when hearing the song and thinking, "Is that For Martha?". Maybe just a weird coincidence but holy poo poo are they freakishly similar. It's such a close guitar sound as well, as if Dave's using the same pedals and layering of tracks :stare:

It's even more noticeable if you listen to the 'Symphonic Snippet/Instrumental' from the Adore reissue which leans further into the noise and layering.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Dave's just an extremely derivative songwriter, and the older he gets the more pronounced that is.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Dave's just an extremely derivative songwriter, and the older he gets the more pronounced that is.

SodomizeTheWeak
Apr 20, 2002
I'm going to miss that banana popsicle.
I have tickets to go see them in August because I still love SD and melon collie. I've always avoided their live stuff because in my experience Billy's voice is always awful. Has anyone seen them recently? Has it improved at all?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, it's Jimmy's birthday today.

It's ALSO Joey Santiago's birthday (guitarist for the Pixies, for those unaware).

~and~ it's both Kim and Kelly Deal's birthday, too.

Like.... Anyone else celebrating a birthday today who's also in a famous band?

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=901EyWSjtVM

I could watch Jimmy play all day long. I don't know if he's objectively the best drummer ever (and how would you even gauge that?) but he's absolutely my favourite. That jazz + rock fusion is so good, so complete. I'm looking to get a drumset sometime soonish, gonna finally get back into playing and I hope to have even one tenth of his 'feel'.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 11, 2023

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SodomizeTheWeak posted:

I have tickets to go see them in August because I still love SD and melon collie. I've always avoided their live stuff because in my experience Billy's voice is always awful. Has anyone seen them recently? Has it improved at all?

I mean, I loved his voice from his older stuff so maybe take this with a grain of salt.

I thought it was just fine during the Oceania tour and when I saw them again when Shiny was coming out. The thing with the live show is that the guitars and everything are so loud that it naturally drowns out his voice to be fine. If you like the music the live shows are great because a ton of it are the good hits. You’ll get a bunch of the new stuff too but that’s tolerable to hear BWBW live.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Was just reading up about some signature pickups Billy designed which sound pretty good and have a clever design, and the article had a related stories tab which was about Billy selling an absurd amount of his gear on Reverb. Turns out this was about 5 years ago now but the old article was questioning if he was quitting music because of not only how much equipment he was selling, but what he was selling as well. I don't know if it's been surpassed since, but Reverb was making a fuss about it being the biggest collection of equipment any artist has listed at the time according to the article.

Now we all know Billy didn't quit music obviously so it was evidently just a huge clear-out, but I noticed the classic Gish Strat in a screenshot of some of the listings (it all sold apparently) which he put up for sale for nearly $1million :stare: I wonder how those people who found the guitar for him feel since I think they handed it over for free considering it meant a lot to him? Or maybe he did pay them some cash for it, I dunno. Weird as hell that he got rid of that guitar though, and crazy that someone actually paid that much for it. There's just screenshots of some of the listings but there was all sorts, even the drum machine used for 1979 and all kinds of other stuff. A fun look behind the curtain though if anyone decides to go looking some of that stuff up. Was interesting learning he switched to a Les Paul for Machina, but also as odd as seeing Jonny Greenwood abandon his Tele to do the same for The Smile.

Apologies to anyone who thought the thread bump may have been related to Machina reissue news.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

SUNKOS posted:

Was just reading up about some signature pickups Billy designed which sound pretty good and have a clever design, and the article had a related stories tab which was about Billy selling an absurd amount of his gear on Reverb. Turns out this was about 5 years ago now but the old article was questioning if he was quitting music because of not only how much equipment he was selling, but what he was selling as well. I don't know if it's been surpassed since, but Reverb was making a fuss about it being the biggest collection of equipment any artist has listed at the time according to the article.

Now we all know Billy didn't quit music obviously so it was evidently just a huge clear-out, but I noticed the classic Gish Strat in a screenshot of some of the listings (it all sold apparently) which he put up for sale for nearly $1million :stare: I wonder how those people who found the guitar for him feel since I think they handed it over for free considering it meant a lot to him? Or maybe he did pay them some cash for it, I dunno. Weird as hell that he got rid of that guitar though, and crazy that someone actually paid that much for it. There's just screenshots of some of the listings but there was all sorts, even the drum machine used for 1979 and all kinds of other stuff. A fun look behind the curtain though if anyone decides to go looking some of that stuff up. Was interesting learning he switched to a Les Paul for Machina, but also as odd as seeing Jonny Greenwood abandon his Tele to do the same for The Smile.

Apologies to anyone who thought the thread bump may have been related to Machina reissue news.

I... call bullshit. Billy didn't get the Gish guitar back until 2018 and that Reverb sale was 2019. Could have been a replica of the guitar or just a completely unrelated press picture.

Billy makes some weird decisions but I seriously can't imagine him selling that guitar, out of all guitars.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I made a whoopsie, it was the other Strat he sold. Just went and double-checked and yeah, that one was yellow and the one he sold was the spray-painted one with star stickers.

Here is a link to an article talking about the sale (I can't find the original one I saw right now) and here is the old Reverb listing for the guitar I mentioned. Here is one of the Les Paul Specials he used for Machina as well, selling for a similarly jaw-dropping price. Interesting he got P90 LP's and had them bypass the neck pickup with the selectors removed, seems very odd but the guy knows what he's doing and holy poo poo do the results speak for themselves :stare:

Can't find the Reverb page for it but if you check this article you'll see one of the Adore guitars as well, which was a Jag fitted with a Fernandes Sustainiac pickup. Must have liked what James was doing with the EBow and sprung for a guitar which has it built-in :haw:

Also funny seeing all the Buddhist/Hindu stickers on guitars.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it was a promotion with Reverb, I seem to remember there being a few artists who were selling gear at the same time. He seemed annoyed at the time that the narrative was "Billy Corgan is selling two guitars for $1million each!" when his take was "it's best offer, I can accept or decline any offer" and like he thought the whole deal was stupid. It doesn't say either of those sold, just that "the listings have ended" so I'm guessing when the period was over he just pulled them back down.

But yeah, would be cool to be own the guitar used for most of the clean parts and solos on SD and MCIS though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SUNKOS posted:

I made a whoopsie, it was the other Strat he sold. Just went and double-checked and yeah, that one was yellow and the one he sold was the spray-painted one with star stickers.

Here is a link to an article talking about the sale (I can't find the original one I saw right now) and here is the old Reverb listing for the guitar I mentioned. Here is one of the Les Paul Specials he used for Machina as well, selling for a similarly jaw-dropping price. Interesting he got P90 LP's and had them bypass the neck pickup with the selectors removed, seems very odd but the guy knows what he's doing and holy poo poo do the results speak for themselves :stare:

Can't find the Reverb page for it but if you check this article you'll see one of the Adore guitars as well, which was a Jag fitted with a Fernandes Sustainiac pickup. Must have liked what James was doing with the EBow and sprung for a guitar which has it built-in :haw:

Also funny seeing all the Buddhist/Hindu stickers on guitars.

Yeah that was the #2 for the SD and Mellon Collie era, it was the guitar used to record the intro to “Today” and the solo on “Cherub Rock” . The #1 was the so called "Bat Strat", which continued through to Machina. It has the three Lace Sensor pickups, the mostly faded silver spray paint job with the bat stickers on it. He breaks it out every so often still.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Check out the PS3 Pumpkins

https://youtu.be/lz_0q6CAlP8

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ftfy but also good drat am I sick of the way Billy writes

Edit gently caress here it is
https://imgur.com/a/clKMIHH

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Baron von Eevl posted:

ftfy but also good drat am I sick of the way Billy writes

Edit gently caress here it is
https://imgur.com/a/clKMIHH

Jeez, yeah, that read like some hokey dad trying to channel Stan Lee

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It reads like the way Geddy Lee delivers the line "you still have made a choice" in Freewill.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

Jeez, yeah, that read like some hokey dad trying to channel Stan Lee

Excelsior, true believers! Buy my records.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok so why is the "75 in St" in "NWA 75 in St. Louis" underlined? Was it whatever he used to type this message trying to parse it as an address?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Chances on the archive release he mentions being in the can and releasing this month being Machina? That's a SP archive release surely, and they officially finished it years ago so of course he would have it "in hand" but he also makes a point of separately mentioning "other stuff from way, way back that I think old school fans will enjoy" which at this point Machina definitely falls under as well, and he doesn't date that so who knows but holy poo poo I really hope that the Machina reissue is what he's hinting at releasing this month and it's not something like an acoustic show at Zuzu's or something.

Why do I do this to myself :negative: