Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Henker posted:

Minor spoilers from some supplemental material (this never comes up in the main story):

Dark Elves are an alignment thing, not a racial/skin tone thing. Dark Elves also aren't even real - it's literally a myth made up by the short-lived races. The basic gist is - the elves first encountered by short-lived races were nice and actively gave the shorties knowledge and technology. Later elves encountered were less nice. The short-lived races decided this was due to some corruptive force, rather than individuals/groups within a race having different goals or belief systems.

Yeah ryoko did a cute little doodle on it which is what i assume your talking about
https://www.tumblr.com/savaralyn2/655658952305131520/dungeon-meshi-dark-elves

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I can't believe it... I fell for misinformation on social media... Time to apply for my boomer card

You didn’t. Toriyama was pretty much given a sketch of the D&D Orcs and that led to his design which locked pig orcs as the default in JP media.

The overall origin for pig orcs as a whole is actually pretty silly. Gary Gygax the D&D co-creator when giving instructions to the artist told them to make the orcs look pig-headed, and the artist took that literally.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/_kikimari_/status/1773789328629530758

I've never wanted a piece of anime merch more. It's just so goofy looking I love it

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

VideoWitch posted:

I've never wanted a piece of anime merch more. It's just so goofy looking I love it

oh my god I want this

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Plant MONSTER. posted:

You're right. You're saying I should use the pan seared liver flukes as wrappers for the fresh cheese, like cannoli!

I’m saying your av is going to spit out a body

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

You didn’t. Toriyama was pretty much given a sketch of the D&D Orcs and that led to his design which locked pig orcs as the default in JP media.

The overall origin for pig orcs as a whole is actually pretty silly. Gary Gygax the D&D co-creator when giving instructions to the artist told them to make the orcs look pig-headed, and the artist took that literally.

Doesn't it go back to House on the Borderlands? There's a bunch of monsters there that are never called orcs but are dangerous humanoids with pig-like features. And of course "Keep on the Borderlands" is a famous D&D module.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
borderlands lost me after the Tiny Tina campaign

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

VideoWitch posted:

Wow way to spoil Falin's new form.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
They also spoil one of the upcoming powerful monsters they have to face. He's in the bowl in the upper mid part of the picture.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

They also spoil one of the upcoming powerful monsters they have to face. He's in the bowl in the upper mid part of the picture.

what is that? some sort of tiny pastry?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

looks like a cooked deveined prawn (shrimp)

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Zeruel posted:

looks like a cooked deveined prawn (shrimp)

C'mon. You're telling me they'll find a way to cook up and eat shrimp too? Stop with all the plot twists!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

C'mon. You're telling me they'll find a way to cook up and eat shrimp too? Stop with all the plot twists!

not so shrimple, is it now?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Ryoko drawing the orc girl in modern clothes

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hihohe posted:

Ryoko drawing the orc girl in modern clothes

Between her and Falin I think Kui likes them a little thicc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I figured i should start catching up and laios don't eat the worms they have worms

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Maxwell Lord posted:

Doesn't it go back to House on the Borderlands? There's a bunch of monsters there that are never called orcs but are dangerous humanoids with pig-like features. And of course "Keep on the Borderlands" is a famous D&D module.

Keep on the Borderlands has Orcs, also it came out after the Monster Manual.

House on the Borderlands also predates Orcs and LotR.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 30, 2024

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Keep on the Borderlands has Orcs, also it came out after the Monster Manual.

House on the Borderlands also predates Orcs and LotR.

Yeah I'm saying House on the Borderlands was likely a book either Gygax or someone else in that circle read and the image of the piglike humanoids stuck with them.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/tentenchan2525/status/1773970580699853247?s=19

Would you eat it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I'm saying House on the Borderlands was likely a book either Gygax or someone else in that circle read and the image of the piglike humanoids stuck with them.

Well Gygax literally said it was just a case of the artist misunderstanding what he meant, and them deciding to roll with it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Waffleman_ posted:

So I figured i should start catching up and laios don't eat the worms they have worms

Don’t worry, those worms themselves have worms that’ll eat out all of the most toxic bits

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Seems like they decided to significantly back off from the weird high fantasy-meets-AAVE speech patterns the dub used for the orcs in their first appearance. A wise decision.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Regalingualius posted:

Don’t worry, those worms themselves have worms that’ll eat out all of the most toxic bits

Like the man's stomach lining?!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Regalingualius posted:

"You're very clever, young man, very clever. But it's worms all the way down!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Henker posted:

Minor spoilers from some supplemental material (this never comes up in the main story):

Dark Elves are an alignment thing, not a racial/skin tone thing. Dark Elves also aren't even real - it's literally a myth made up by the short-lived races. The basic gist is - the elves first encountered by short-lived races were nice and actively gave the shorties knowledge and technology. Later elves encountered were less nice. The short-lived races decided this was due to some corruptive force, rather than individuals/groups within a race having different goals or belief systems.

Hihohe posted:

Yeah ryoko did a cute little doodle on it which is what i assume your talking about
https://www.tumblr.com/savaralyn2/655658952305131520/dungeon-meshi-dark-elves

thanks for the lore stuff

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
So there's definitely a subsect of elf con artists grifting off shortlivers by pretending to be "good" elves, right?

Saul Goodman, but a 100 year old elf.

Henker
May 5, 2009

theGrooseofLegend posted:

So there's definitely a subsect of elf con artists grifting off shortlivers by pretending to be "good" elves, right?

I assume they'd be more like religious grifters. Pastors telling Midwestern grandmas that the key to salvation is donating all their money, or yoga gurus selling energy crystals.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

theGrooseofLegend posted:

That's pretty unfair.

Saul Goodman provides people a legitimate and often necessary service to a clientele that would otherwise be ignored and left without recourse in the event of tragedy.

No, that kind of chicanery is more in the style of one Slippin' Jimmy McGill.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lt. Lizard posted:

Laios getting married to an orc's chieftain sister and being pretty stoked about it would be a very Laios move.

Spoiling this even though it's not technically a spoiler: A bonus comic reveals that Laios canonically thinks orc women are hot, but he's probably blown his chance at ever being allowed to date one because in that same bonus comic he's discussing beauty standards with the orc chieftain and gets so graphic describing how sexy the chieftain's wives (orcs are polyamorous) boobs and butts are that he almost gets his rear end kicked. I suspect that after that the orc chieftain passed a "No one is allowed to date that weirdo pervert" law.

Edit: found the bonus comic I was thinking of!

You know, in fairness to Laios the orc Chieftain kind of set him up. There's not really a right answer to "Do you think my wife is hot?"

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 1, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s so funny because with any other protagonist I’d think he was just lowkey thirsty but I can genuinely believe Laios is such a goober that he’s just listing off desirable similarities to tallmen females and not just saying the quiet part out loud.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah I suspect the lovely round behinds comment was a bit more revealing, but Laios being Laios that comic reads MOSTLY as him engaging with the question with academic honesty and getting burned for it :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My favourite part is Marcille's reaction. Straight up doesn't even compute that Laios could be in any way sincere, she knows him better than that, so she jumps directly to "wtf are you talking about, are you okay"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Laios ever NOT sincere? He's the guy who is openly voicing his thoughts about how great it is that his sister got eaten because it meant he got to spend more time with his friends and doing what he loves.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Is Laios ever NOT sincere? He's the guy who is openly voicing his thoughts about how great it is that his sister got eaten because it meant he got to spend more time with his friends and doing what he loves.

Laios is 100% not the kind of person to sit around waxing perverse about elf ears, is what I'm saying.

He would talk about them, of course, but it would be a 10-minute infodump full of random trivia, and unequivocally the least sexy thing that anyone present had ever heard in their lives

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

The joke i see is that Laios is a little autistic because he has a hyperfixation and generally socially inept

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's endearing that he's so open about the stuff that interests him.

If halflings, dwarfs and elves all consider Tall Men to be rather limp and unattractive by their beauty standards how do Orcs feel about them? When they're not pillaging, that is.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Angry Diplomat posted:

Laios is 100% not the kind of person to sit around waxing perverse about elf ears, is what I'm saying.

He would talk about them, of course, but it would be a 10-minute infodump full of random trivia, and unequivocally the least sexy thing that anyone present had ever heard in their lives

Laois is a Paladin with the Oath of Earnestness sub-class. I’m not sure of the advantages, but he always has Disadvantage on Insight checks.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Laois is a Paladin with the Oath of Earnestness sub-class. I’m not sure of the advantages, but he always has Disadvantage on Insight checks.

Laios is a melee ranger and his animal companion is a weird little mollusc that lives in his sword :colbert:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Angry Diplomat posted:

Laios is a melee ranger and his animal companion is a weird little mollusc that lives in his sword :colbert:

mollusk avenger +1. It can cast detect monsters as a cantrip at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

mollusk avenger +1. It can cast detect monsters as a cantrip at will.

Warning, can fail fear checks and will auto disarm if it does