Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

Dear God, someone managed to BEAT THE GAME on the hardest seed-type for Frozlunky. She is one of the luckiest people in this game I have seen. Run starts around 11 minutes.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Neruz posted:

That was clearly all skill.

Honestly that looked like how I'd characterize playing a "real roguelike" would look -- take no chances, know as much as possible about what's going on around you, and yet don't dawdle because the clock is ticking...

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Samovar posted:

Dear God, someone managed to BEAT THE GAME on the hardest seed-type for Frozlunky. She is one of the luckiest people in this game I have seen. Run starts around 11 minutes.
Holy loving poo poo that was amazing.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
The thing that surprised me the most was that the rushing water level didn't crash the game.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Samovar posted:

Guess I gotta give it a try now!

:siren: Anyway, surprise! It's time for a new update! :siren:

After an endless bout of procrastination, Dark Souls, and not being able to be online at the same time than my guest (or playing Dark Souls while he wants to do a video), it's time for this Let's Play to resume! This time, I will be attempting a weird challenge: let's play the game multiplayer with myself, while controlling both characters at the same time, using the same input! That means I must move both characters so that they don't fall in traps, avoid whipping them into a pit of spikes or an enemy, not tossing a rope in their face and make them bleed, not throw a sticky bomb on them and condemn them to an explosive death... I could go on for hours regarding what could go wrong.

Let's show it off instead while I have Slowbeef around to see the entire madness unfold.

Chapter 23 - Multiplayer - Same Input (Part 1)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

Guess I gotta give it a try now!

:siren: Anyway, surprise! It's time for a new update! :siren:

After an endless bout of procrastination, Dark Souls, and not being able to be online at the same time than my guest (or playing Dark Souls while he wants to do a video), it's time for this Let's Play to resume! This time, I will be attempting a weird challenge: let's play the game multiplayer with myself, while controlling both characters at the same time, using the same input! That means I must move both characters so that they don't fall in traps, avoid whipping them into a pit of spikes or an enemy, not tossing a rope in their face and make them bleed, not throw a sticky bomb on them and condemn them to an explosive death... I could go on for hours regarding what could go wrong.

Let's show it off instead while I have Slowbeef around to see the entire madness unfold.

Chapter 23 - Multiplayer - Same Input (Part 1)

Glad to see you take on my challenge. I hope you show off in another video how crazy it is with four characters. Granted at that point I just have to turn off the whip button for the other characters.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Rirse posted:

Glad to see you take on my challenge. I hope you show off in another video how crazy it is with four characters. Granted at that point I just have to turn off the whip button for the other characters.
Turning off buttons for other characters is called cheating, you know :colbert:

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Samovar posted:

Those temple levels were incredible. Especially 4-1's ending! :aaa:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I suppose with two player it becomes significantly easier to do things like eggplant runs then?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Turning off buttons for other characters is called cheating, you know :colbert:

Speaking of cheating, could you not just pick up the other character and carry them through every level? Or do they automatically stand up at some point like an enemy?

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

Speaking of cheating, could you not just pick up the other character and carry them through every level? Or do they automatically stand up at some point like an enemy?
If one player is grabbed by another, he can free himself by pushing the jump key. So the moment I hit the jump button, one character would free himself. And finally, would that be any fun to watch? You have to make it interesting!

Choco1980 posted:

I suppose with two player it becomes significantly easier to do things like eggplant runs then?
Definitely, because then you can succeed at doing this kind of challenge without having to resort to glitches or hoping that an unlockable character will spawn in the spaceship to carry the scepter through the next level.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
That was really fun to watch, especially the Olmec fight. Love the slave killing himself in the death reel too.

I think I'm going to try this.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Definitely, because then you can succeed at doing this kind of challenge without having to resort to glitches or hoping that an unlockable character will spawn in the spaceship to carry the scepter through the next level.

The Robot is always there, you just need to revert your save file once you do unlock him to keep him locked.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The way that the whip makes you get knocked back automatically makes me wonder if it'd be possible to use it as like a jump-boost by turning around mid-air.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has anyone suggested a completionist run? Where you kill every single thing you see. Sacrifice or save everyone. And bomb through the walls to get everything there, as well. I'm guessing you would run out of bombs at some point, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Has anyone suggested a completionist run? Where you kill every single thing you see. Sacrifice or save everyone. And bomb through the walls to get everything there, as well. I'm guessing you would run out of bombs at some point, though.

"At some point" would be "in the first or second level", most likely. It's not at all uncommon to see sections of the Mines that are inaccessible without using at least two bombs. You'd have to get very lucky with level generation and/or extra bombs. And what about the money and items in the walls?

Ehh, I guess I've just never understood trying to be a completionist in a roguelike game. The randomized levels and quantity of content (and, in Spelunky, the mutual exclusivity of certain special levels) mean that you're never going to see every single thing in a single game.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Which reminds me that I want to try: Frozlunky, Sashavol, find an Alien Blaster and a jetpack in the walls of Mines 1, explode the world :black101:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Maybe "visit as many special levels as possible"? A hell run with market, worm and mothership could be fun to watch at least and probably fun to do as well. Even the haunted castle could be fitted in there with some luck, I've had market entrance spawn in the castle several times.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Since stepping on one piece of gold at the same identical time means it counts twice, could you dupe gold by having a monkey steal gold repeatedly and continuously picking it back up again?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Since stepping on one piece of gold at the same identical time means it counts twice, could you dupe gold by having a monkey steal gold repeatedly and continuously picking it back up again?

If so it would make 4 players with olmec spawning a monkey a way to farm infinite gold. It would also be a million times slower and more boring then ghosting would.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mzbundifund posted:

If you're OK with doing that 300 gold at a time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tengames posted:

If so it would make 4 players with olmec spawning a monkey a way to farm infinite gold. It would also be a million times slower and more boring then ghosting would.

You might as well ghostrun while you do it considering you're going to be hanging around for long enough that the ghost will show up anyway.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Neruz posted:

You might as well ghostrun while you do it considering you're going to be hanging around for long enough that the ghost will show up anyway.
There's no ghost on Olmec though, he's talking about sitting in a corner away from Olmec with a monkey.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Metos posted:

There's no ghost on Olmec though, he's talking about sitting in a corner away from Olmec with a monkey.

I though there was, that's why you couldn't finish the Kali ghost run?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Boxturret posted:

I though there was, that's why you couldn't finish the Kali ghost run?

The Kali ghost can spawn, but the timer ghost doesn't. Speaking of which, didn't the patch that added the speedrun HUD and the slothsel also make it possible to get the Kali ghost and still beat Olmec?

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

The Kali ghost can spawn, but the timer ghost doesn't. Speaking of which, didn't the patch that added the speedrun HUD and the slothsel also make it possible to get the Kali ghost and still beat Olmec?

It did. Here's a YT video showing it off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFLVmzMEVoI

virtual256
May 6, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't think anyone has suggested it, but bananasaurus_rex has done it! Level 1-1 had the alien cannon... Only took 7.5 hours to do all that and ghost the gems too!
http://www.twitch.tv/bananasaurus_rex/c/3763690

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

virtual256 posted:

I don't think anyone has suggested it, but bananasaurus_rex has done it! Level 1-1 had the alien cannon... Only took 7.5 hours to do all that and ghost the gems too!
http://www.twitch.tv/bananasaurus_rex/c/3763690

Don't watch the VOD, he put it on youtube for easier viewability. Not that anyone would watch all 7.5 hours of that!

*nervous laughter*

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

GuavaMoment posted:

Don't watch the VOD, he put it on youtube for easier viewability. Not that anyone would watch all 7.5 hours of that!

*nervous laughter*

I wouldn't be so sure.

Goons Will Watch Anything.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Miracon posted:

It did. Here's a YT video showing it off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFLVmzMEVoI

Psychedelic Eyeball, you know what you must do. Kali ghost hell run. Make it happen.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013
A kali ghost run would be awsome!

I wanna see a rock run. He must exit olmec's lair door with a rock. Or take a rock all the way to Yama and kill Yama with the rock.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Get Kali ghost ASAP, do not kill Anubis 2 and kill Yama while being pursued by both.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Arise from the dead thread, we have a new update!

Time to finally lay this multiplayer challenge to a rest. Diabetus did a good job by threatening the spelunkers with puns should failure be achieved. We can finally move on to something else!

Chapter 24 - Multiplayer - Same Input (Part 2)

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Thanks for the update!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Come on Psych, finish the 4 player run!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That was a thing of magical beauty.

And you got SO CLOSE to Yama, too!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Come on Psych, finish the 4 player run!

No way, we gotta get the Frozlunky run next.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Now do a multiplayer challenge with the same input, but the controls reversed for player 2!

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Watching the 4-player attempt at shopping was kind of like Twitch Plays Spelunky, :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013
Fishbone Run. Start at the Jungle.

Bomb a pool of water to get a piranah bone.

Take it to the end.

Also i like how SA makes it so when you backspace it can just randomly change where the line is so you could end up erasing your entire post without realizing that you did so.

Good job Lowtax for being loving inept.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread