Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which team will win The Amazing Race?
This poll is closed.
Flight Time and Big Easy 14 19.72%
Bopper and Mark 4 5.63%
Caroline and Jenn 0 0%
Dave and Connor 6 8.45%
Margie and Luke 2 2.82%
Natalie and Nadiya 3 4.23%
Brendon and Rachel 2 2.82%
Jessica and John 1 1.41%
Jet and Cord 21 29.58%
Joey and Meghan 1 1.41%
Leo and Jamal 17 23.94%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tea Bone posted:

Didn't Rachel win Big Brother? How does Big Brother work in the US? Over here the public get to vote for the winner, I can't imagine what kind of people were left for Rachel to be the best choice.

In America the players in the game vote jury style like survivor. Americans usually like the worst people so it mostly works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

The biggest e-penis of them all!

Dr Tran posted:

*** Michael Ward and Scott Strazzullo: Firefighters from Boston, Mass.

Of all the casting, this one actually annoys me the most (since I don't watch Survivor). I keep wanting to apply with my friend DJ (We'd have that whole annoying name thing going with DJ and RJ), but this is him exactly.

But I suppose if this is indeed the last season it's moot.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh hey, they got pro wrestlers! :)

...from TNA :(

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

quote:

Caroline and Jennifer are little gigolettes...they are prostitutes too? That ís 100% the truth. . . . The reason she thinks I pushed her? She was probably drunk. She was probably falling over her own feet drunk because she was drinking the whole night. That’s probably exactly what happened and that is a 100 percent not a lie.

They were literally drunk at the airport. Drunk, like not just tipsy, not like they had a glass of wine… they were drunk at the airport. They got on the airplane and they are like, ‘hey we are so drunk right now.’ And me and Brendon were just like well good, I hope they stay drunk.

I hope the girls sue their asses over that.

The racism accusation is hilarious, too. That word has so many meanings. It could have been because they were outcasts, because they were weird, because they always wore tight green clothes and looked like a stereotypical alien pair.

quote:

You hear them say that they are not our kind of people. At the end of the day really what does that mean? It means that I didn’t grow up in Orange County, I didn’t grow up in Salt Lake City with all the white people, I am Mexican…

That's TOTALLY what they meant, not that you're both loving nuts, prissy, needy people who freak out over everything and have to make every situation dramatic. Of course not.

If anyone ever asks why people don't like Rachel, just show them that article.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Has there been any official clarification on the rule of who can do tasks since Dave/Conner obviously changed what we thought was supposed to be an even split?

I'm just curious because for next season, I don't see how the one-armed surfer is going to get very far. I know one-armed people can do everything but not without a bag full of attachments. She lost her arm at the shoulder, which is worse so I'm not sure how she can do rappelling, carrying heavy stuff, pole vaulting, etc. I just hope the tasks aren't at all easier. Not trying to be a dick, so please enlighten me if I am missing some aspect to this.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Has there been any official clarification on the rule of who can do tasks since Dave/Conner obviously changed what we thought was supposed to be an even split?

It had been made a point in earlier seasons (even as recent as the previous season) that tasks had to be an even split. This season I don't know if they silently changed the rule, allowed Dave/Connor to be except, who knows.

Looking it up now, it seems that the rule has constantly changed.

Early seasons allowed teams to distribute the Roadblocks between the team members as they desired, which allowed one team member to do nearly all the Roadblocks. This was changed in season six, which limited a single teammate to a maximum number of Roadblocks he or she could complete, thus forcing his or her partner to perform roughly half of the Roadblocks, as well.

Subsequent seasons have not explicitly stated this rule but teams have maintained an even distribution of Roadblocks throughout the Race. Racers can be heard saying they've done "all my Roadblocks" or "saving the last one". In season nine, the Roadblock limit was increased to a maximum of seven which can lead to a 6–6 or 5–7 distribution.

In season 18, the rule was further modified to state that team members could not complete more than five Roadblocks prior to the final leg. The only time the limit was not enforced was during the "Family Edition", wherein some Roadblocks required two people from each four-person team to participate. When asked by a fan of the show on Twitter during the finale of season 24, Phil Keoghan explained that for several seasons already they had changed the rules such that up through leg 10 individual racers were limited to performing a maximum of 6 Roadblocks, but the final 3 Roadblocks on legs 11 and 12 were not subject to the limit. This change in rules results in a possible Roadblock split of 8-5, as possessed by season 24's winning team of Dave and Connor O'Leary.

Seems like a simple rule to have so much waffling on, but :shrug:.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

R to the J posted:

Of all the casting, this one actually annoys me the most (since I don't watch Survivor). I keep wanting to apply with my friend DJ (We'd have that whole annoying name thing going with DJ and RJ), but this is him exactly.

But I suppose if this is indeed the last season it's moot.

It's way too early to worry that this is the last season

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I'm just curious because for next season, I don't see how the one-armed surfer is going to get very far. I know one-armed people can do everything but not without a bag full of attachments. She lost her arm at the shoulder, which is worse so I'm not sure how she can do rappelling, carrying heavy stuff, pole vaulting, etc. I just hope the tasks aren't at all easier. Not trying to be a dick, so please enlighten me if I am missing some aspect to this.

If I'm remembering what I read correctly, after the finale Phil tweeted that the rule had been changed to no more than 6 Roadblocks per person before the 10th leg, and in the last two legs each person had to do at least one. It doesn't really surprise me that they never said anything about it because they've always been pretty mum on most of the rules.

In response to the spoiler text, I doubt anything will be anything different. The team will probably just plan their Roadblocks and Detour choices around that, much like Margie & Luke did. As a side note, Amazing Race Australia had a contestant that only had one arm and was able to do everything, even drive a stick shift. Granted, it was only up to his elbow, but it's still pretty impressive.

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

The biggest e-penis of them all!

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's way too early to worry that this is the last season

I agree, but too many people have been like, "Moving to Fridays? This means the end!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
In the age of DVRs and CBS.com having episodes on demand...does timeslot even really matter anymore?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

jivjov posted:

In the age of DVRs and CBS.com having episodes on demand...does timeslot even really matter anymore?

Ennh....

If it was moving from mid-week I'd say so, but they had a very cushy Sunday night slot. I don't know about you, but when I'm in those times of life with a Monday-Friday grind, Sunday is the night of watching TV in silent resignation, admitting the end of the weekend. They could easily lose a bunch of casual viewers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Propaganda Machine posted:

Ennh....

If it was moving from mid-week I'd say so, but they had a very cushy Sunday night slot. I don't know about you, but when I'm in those times of life with a Monday-Friday grind, Sunday is the night of watching TV in silent resignation, admitting the end of the weekend. They could easily lose a bunch of casual viewers.

Hrm...you may be right. But (and this is anecdotal, I know) I can't think of the last time me or anyone I know has watched a show when its actually aired. Its pretty much always timeshifted, streamed, or :filez:. My 58 year old father has taught himself how to use torrent stuff just to watch shows on his own schedule

jivjov fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 5, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

jivjov posted:

Hrm...you may be right. But (and this is anecdotal, I know) I can't think of the last time me or anyone I know has watched a show when its actually aired. Its pretty much always timeshifted, streamed, or :filez:. My 58 year old father has taught himself how to use torrent stuff just to watch shows on his own schedule

Well, just to anecdote back atcha, Sunday night has been the only night I've watched live TV on TV in the last 3-6 months, and I :filez: like a fiend.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k
For those worried about the show being cancelled, apparently their social media caretaker hasn't got the memo.

Edit because attachment failed: today the Amazing Race page posted a casting call link for the next next season on Facebook.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Welp, Amazing Race Canada just started.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Well I thoroughly enjoyed SCOTIABANK AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD. And also "Ladies, over 10 million Canadians watched you win Olympic gold medals in hockey. But that's nothing compared to the excitement of you winning two thousand dollars in The Amazing Race!" Seeing the Canadian version of the Twinnies die in the middle of a challenge was cool I guess as well.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment posted:

Well I thoroughly enjoyed SCOTIABANK AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD. And also "Ladies, over 10 million Canadians watched you win Olympic gold medals in hockey. But that's nothing compared to the excitement of you winning two thousand dollars in The Amazing Race!" Seeing the Canadian version of the Twinnies die in the middle of a challenge was cool I guess as well.

Yeah, they totally over do the product placement. I don't get it, it's not like this show ends up being torrented. Hell, I watched it live.

I loved the part with the "Twinnies" asked the frenchies what they did for a living and they respond "We kill animals.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I don't know how to watch this other than :filez:, but the Australian version just started its 3rd season and has 5 teams from Australia and 5 from New Zealand. It's still an individual race but with some Oz vs Kiwi fun thrown in. The first episode was a lot better than Canada's, there's a team checking in their bags and losing time to that, one team misreads the clue twice, one team leaves an important item at a challenge, taxi race, car sickness, tractors being abused, people tackling lambs, good poo poo all around.
They're traveling to other countries and there isn't product placement every 3 minutes.
Mother to son: Why didn't you bring your brother? Or a friend? Don't you have friends?
Apparently she also told the other teams she was an astronaut and had been to the moon twice and the idiots believed her.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
My favorite part of the premiere was when they got everyone riled up to leave the starting like then had them do a tug of war, forcing the losing side to stand around for 10 minutes. Because there's no more gripping television than watching half the cast stand around and stare at each other.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Why the hell did Walmart hire the Roller Derby moms to do a commercial for them?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Cast is up for Season 25.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQK4imtNQmg

Totally rooting for Phil.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
April Fools? This can't be an Amazing Race cast because none of the teams are hateable.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Andorra posted:

April Fools? This can't be an Amazing Race cast because none of the teams are hateable.

Keith and Whitney suck.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Lots of all female teams.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

Keith and Whitney suck.

You know I'm a huge Survivor fan, and I have no idea who these people are. What season were they on?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Factor Mystic posted:

You know I'm a huge Survivor fan, and I have no idea who these people are. What season were they on?

South Pacific. It was a huge Ozzy/Cochran/Coach-fest though, so that's why you don't remember them. They were both unceremoniously dumped after Cochran flipped.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

For those of you watching Amazing Race Canada, I would just like to say that Sukhi and Jinder are loving awful.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

For those of you watching Amazing Race Canada, I would just like to say that Sukhi and Jinder are loving awful.

Holy gently caress are they ever. Can't wait to see them go.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Cacator posted:

Final three, calling it now.

:suicide:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cacator posted:

Sukhi seems ok (read: hot enough to get away with being obnoxious) but Jinder is completely awful. He was so gleeful about uturning the bartenders and that like eight part handshake with the equally tooly butcher was painful to watch.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
It was pretty great though when Rob & Ryan asked them if they'd found a shop and they said "no" despite obviously holding a sack from one.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

TAR Australia is pretty good this year. Half the teams are butthurt that not everyone is on the show for a good times jaunt with pals, which is amusing. Also the prizes are reduced from the American version so you get to hear Grant Bowler pretending to be upbeat about awarding a first place team 1000 airline miles.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Factor Mystic posted:

TAR Australia is pretty good this year. Half the teams are butthurt that not everyone is on the show for a good times jaunt with pals, which is amusing. Also the prizes are reduced from the American version so you get to hear Grant Bowler pretending to be upbeat about awarding a first place team 1000 airline miles.

Team meathead as my friend calls them are great. They are the only team that seems to realize the journey isnt going to mean much if you're eliminated early. Team incest was creepy as gently caress.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

DurosKlav posted:

Team incest was creepy as gently caress.

I laughed when Jono was passing out and the Team Meathead guy actually stopped and pep talk'd him into keeping going, because cut to Jono's interview "it must have really killed him to help me, what an idiot that guy is". Oh please.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Ya not only was insanely creepy with his sister he was a massive baby as well.

I could just imagine what he was thinking during the monkey bit. "Why do those monkeys get to grab my sisters tits but I dont."

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 1, 2014

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
TAR Canada - Oh my God it happened. It happened!

A team said "rapido!" to a French-Canadian taxi driver. :allears: :canada:

Also "Charles de Gwall-eh" airport.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Factor Mystic posted:

TAR Australia is pretty good this year.

The team that annoys me the most this season? The two blonde Aussie morons:

-They are so stereotypical it makes me want to punch the screen.
-The macho Aussie Pride attitude is goddam grating
-They hold petty grudges over nothing
-The dude constantly makes "women belong in the kitchen" type remarks
-They are deluded about their physical and mental capabilities
-They constantly contradict themselves by being all judgy about the actions of other teams and then proceed to be as equally dirty to another team 5 minutes later
-Nothing is EVER their fault. Gotta blame the taxi driver, or the task being stupid, the other teams, natives not understanding English and their dumb accents

Rooting for Team Jesus (did I miss the "we are God loving Christians" reference or is it just cause one dude kind of looks like Jesus)

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Poor team meatheads, you were too good for this race. Unfortunately one bad choice cost them. Picking the wood stacking over the sauna one was just stupid, that looked like it would take at least a hour to do while the sauna you could blow though in like 20 minutes. I'd like to see them on the US version. I dont like any of the remaining teams. :( I especially dont like team Jesus.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 4, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

pokeyman posted:

Final three, calling it now.

:suicide:

:havlat: I'm so happy to be wrong wrong wrong :gonchar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

pokeyman posted:

:havlat: I'm so happy to be wrong wrong wrong :gonchar:

It was sweet justice when they begged Ryan and Rob for help on the flag challenge after U-Turning them on a leg where they already had a speed bump.

• Locked thread