Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

I'm having more fun imagining it with a Super Duke motor, which I suspect the new ones will be a little more comparable to. In fact I bet we'll see the new models aimed squarely at taking some of KTM's street bike market from them.

I love the ol' 1203cc Harley lump and all of its quirks but an 1125 makes it feel like riding a bicycle in comparison, so I expect whatever Erik sets up will be the greatest motorcycle in the world.

I don't see anything wrong with the ZTL, especially on a street bike. Costs about half as much to maintain compared with a traditional dual-rotor front end, weighs about half as much, looks way bad rear end, and works like 90% as well. I run organic pads and I don't get the binary action some people complain about.

This pretty much boils down to "poo poo happens", unfortunately. It would be extremely unlikely for anything to get sucked up to where that arrow is pointing - the belt guard is pretty extensive on the Uly [compare it with a Lightning's], pretty much no point on the belt exposed from above where things might fall on to it - unless the pulley is buried or we're spinning the wheel in gravel. To me it seems more likely something got flung off the tire, took a ride, and got lodged on its way out. Did you find the culprit?

The Uly's suspension geometry is HELL on the belts, too. A Firebolt or Lightning, with like 2" less suspension travel and a shorter swing arm doesn't pull at the belt nearly as much, but that constant-tension design falls apart on the Uly. A lot of folks will notch one of the mounting holes on the idler to run the belt looser or go with a spring-loaded idler.

It seems pretty easy for stuff to get up in there. I took the guard off and poured out a handfull of gravel. Never did find what caused all the damage though. It had to have been a bolt or something metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ever since the MSF I've had dreams of riding motorcycles. Last night it happened again, only this time I even analyzed some mistakes I made, in the dream :pwn: Maybe my subconscious is telling me something... what could it be...

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
Well, if you consider the weight of a Sportster engine and that a single ZTL is lighter than a dual disc/dual caliper setup maybe EB was simply doing everything possible to get the bikes to a competitive weight? Also unsprung yadda yadda.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Whee, time to defend Buell.

The ZTL brake is a good idea. Really good idea. If you do it right, you can use a lighter wheel, you get away from needing a spider, you can run a weaker fork... Everything is an advantage. Hell, BMW does something similar, they mount their brake disks in the ZTL fashion.

We did find out that the ZTL brake fell down when run at a full race pace, but that's fixable.

IIRC the Vrod motor DID start as a Buell project. The reason the vrod motor never found it's way into a Harley is part of Erics obsession. The vrod motor is LONG. And several changes were made on it that made it heavier. Also the cooling design is made to be pretty, not to be light, or effective. All of those changes were made the motor wholly inappropriate for sportbike use. If I recall correctly, the vrod motor is something like 10" longer than the Sportster motor.

The Rotax motor was what Buell needed. He sure could have used Harleys styling department to deal with the radiators...

Harley did hold Buell back. And used a heavy hand steering Buell. Anyone remember the 2010 blast? Harley also allowed buell to make bikes for a few years.

I would love to see Buell get into the Moto 2 and Moto 3 chassis building game.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 16, 2012

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Whee, time to defend Buell...

The ZTL on the 1190RS has finned rotor with a carbon fiber air duct to help cool the it, as well as being much thicker than the old ones were, and they claim even with that its still the lightest front wheel/rotor/caliper setup on any superbike. I also notice a lot of companies ditching those sweet looking under-seat exhausts and moving the fuel tanks lower too. I don't know about being a chassis builder in moto2, but seeing bikes that share no setup or parts with anything else in AMA SBK get onto the podium has been pretty great. They also apparently have a team consisting of 8 or 10 people in total, and are competing against teams who spent more on just their electronics package than EBR spent on a whole racebike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Are they still running against the 600s?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

M42 posted:

Ever since the MSF I've had dreams of riding motorcycles. Last night it happened again, only this time I even analyzed some mistakes I made, in the dream :pwn: Maybe my subconscious is telling me something... what could it be...

I keep having dreams where I have a supermoto and I'm just riding around doing wheelies and giving people the finger. I assume that's what owning a supermoto is like.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005

Z3n posted:

Are they still running against the 600s?

Nope, 1000cc superbikes. And yes they ran in what was once called formula extreme in 2009, a class specifically built to allow different configurations to be competitive. They weren't the only twins with a displacement advantage. They just happened to beat established factory teams, never a way to make friends. HD was against them racing in the first place and refused any support for the team. After they were shut down I recall one of the higher-ups from HD saying in an article that one of the reasons for the shut down was some resentment over "funding Erik Buell's racing habit".

PolishHero fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 16, 2012

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I had a slight interest in Buells over the years, but every time I walked into an H-D dealership they looked at me like I had two heads and couldn't sell the bikes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MoraleHazard posted:

I had a slight interest in Buells over the years, but every time I walked into an H-D dealership they looked at me like I had two heads and couldn't sell the bikes.
I've heard that kind of story a few times. I wonder if Erik knew that kind of poo poo was going on? That's the kind of a thing that'll kill a bike, obviously. Somebody in manufacturer/dealer relations should have been all over that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Only Harley would straight up refuse money in the name of upholding some bullshit image.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I went into an H-D shop to check out the bikes once and the Buells had dust on them thick enough to write in. Every Harley was spotless.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That or in back rooms out of view. Then of course, there were a lot of dealers that didn't carry them at all and looked at you like you're from another planet when you mention Beull.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The harley dealers were downright combative if you went in to talk about Buells. Hell, they're almost combative about people looking into the XR1200...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've heard that kind of story a few times. I wonder if Erik knew that kind of poo poo was going on? That's the kind of a thing that'll kill a bike, obviously. Somebody in manufacturer/dealer relations should have been all over that.

Oh yeah, me too in both the us and uk. Asked some hd palace in jersey about demo rides and the reaction was something between confusion and contempt. And the racing comment just boggles the mind. Hd execs obviously have no clue about any form of motorcycling that doesn't involve rhinestones.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Only Harley would straight up refuse money in the name of upholding some bullshit image.

That bullshit image is what's earning them all their money though. I can certainly see them being worried about "brand dilution" or some poo poo - they don't even like mentioning the flat-trackers, although they're happy enough with drag bikes at the moment.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Any advantages/disadvantages to a 2 to 1 exhaust?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seems like it could be lighter than a 2-2, in theory. Also I'll bet it changes the scavenging and backpressure quite a lot, but I'm not really qualified to comment on exactly how.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Pufflekins posted:

yeah, provided you have equal length headers, the pressure from one exhaust blast will help evacuate gasses from the following blast.

The downside? It's not as easy to sync your carbs by feel and it's also harder to isolate any engine problems to a particular cylinder.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeah, provided you have equal length headers, the pressure from one exhaust blast will help evacuate gasses from the following blast.

The downside? It's not as easy to sync your carbs by feel and it's also harder to isolate any engine problems to a particular cylinder.

So basically it just makes it a bit better on gas?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Here's hoping I don't have any cylinder related engine problems with a 4-to-1.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Pufflekins posted:

It depends on a lot of factors (what you're comparing it to, the bike, the tune etc) but a 2-1 often will give you somewhat more power on the low end and somewhat less on the high end of the rev range. People often get independent pipes (esp V-twin cruiser riders) because they think they look/sound cooler but the 2-1 setup often has better power in the rev range you spend your time in (and any high-end gains are wasted because the engines run out of breath at high RPM for other reasons.)

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 17, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Pufflekins posted:

On what engine?

Notice that generally factories have mostly chosen 2-2 or 2-2 with a crossover for performance twin applications. Ducati 2 and 4 valve motors. Yamaha with the trx and tdm. Aprilia started with.a 2-1 but akra's top race system was 2-2 and the factory then switched to 2-2 with the mk 2 rsv and tuono. Rc51 and vtr1000f. Tl1000r and s, sv1000 etc. Ktm 950 and 990 motors.

Exceptions seem to be bmw, but then the boxers don't have a particularly high output for their capacity. Compare to the er5 and 6, cb500, gs500.

Factories seem to have chosen 2-2 systems despite the huge weight penalty, increased parts count and crash vulnerability, so it's reasonable to assume they are doing so for a good reason. Greater exhaust volume, better scavenging, more effective silencing (yet you don't see a lot of race systems going down to 2-1).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

On what engine?

Notice that generally factories have mostly chosen 2-2 or 2-2 with a crossover for performance twin applications. Ducati 2 and 4 valve motors. Yamaha with the trx and tdm. Aprilia started with.a 2-1 but akra's top race system was 2-2 and the factory then switched to 2-2 with the mk 2 rsv and tuono. Rc51 and vtr1000f. Tl1000r and s, sv1000 etc. Ktm 950 and 990 motors.

Exceptions seem to be bmw, but then the boxers don't have a particularly high output for their capacity. Compare to the er5 and 6, cb500, gs500.

Factories seem to have chosen 2-2 systems despite the huge weight penalty, increased parts count and crash vulnerability, so it's reasonable to assume they are doing so for a good reason. Greater exhaust volume, better scavenging, more effective silencing (yet you don't see a lot of race systems going down to 2-1).

I think on road bikes the two main considerations are looks and ease/difficulty of installing a catalytic converter. Aprilia do a 2:1 (albeit with two outlets from the silencer to make it look like a 2:1:2) on their 750 and 1200 twins, and all of the replacement systems, even the cat eliminating ones, keep that layout because the entire rear suspension and subframe on the Shiver and the Dorsoduro is set up around hiding the catalytic converter (a welcome change from the stock exhaust on the Rotax-engined bikes that looked like a Brabantia bin welded to the side of the bike).

On race bikes I don't think there is that much of a disadvantage to 2:2 weight-wise - there aren't many twins doing 2:1 or 2:1:2 that have the union close to the engine, it's normally only a foot or two from the silencer, so any weight advantage is just on that last, pretty lightweight part. It's certainly much easier to plumb a 2:2, particularly on a heavily-tuned engine, and the extra couple of hp that's worth is more than enough to offset the extra kg or two of weight (and hours spent getting the tune right).

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Saga posted:

On what engine?

I've been looking at buying a sportster 72 or 48(I like a smaller cruiser). I wanted to change the exhaust to get a little more power and to avoid the whole LOUD PIPES bullshit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Pufflekins posted:

I've been looking at buying a sportster 72 or 48(I like a smaller cruiser). I wanted to change the exhaust to get a little more power and to avoid the whole LOUD PIPES bullshit.

The Sportster engine is nothing like the Ducati, KTM, Aprilia engines Saga mentions. In terms of powerband, character, etc.

Read the last two pages of the Harley thread, there's some talk about 2-2 and 2-1 exhausts including a guy swapping his out.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Let's talk insurance.

Any reason to get anything more than just a lot of liability coverage if:

1. The bike is cheap enough to replace
2. I already have health coverage

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

Let's talk insurance.

not really.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pissingintowind posted:

Let's talk insurance.

Nope. Although you'll be surprised sometimes at how much insurance will pay out for a bike, and then gear, pain and suffering on top of that, etc. Car rental coverage is nice if your bike is your only means of transportation. And having your insurance company to go after them in case of an accident where you are not at fault is nice too, makes it harder for them to screw you over.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Nope. Although you'll be surprised sometimes at how much insurance will pay out for a bike, and then gear, pain and suffering on top of that, etc. Car rental coverage is nice if your bike is your only means of transportation. And having your insurance company to go after them in case of an accident where you are not at fault is nice too, makes it harder for them to screw you over.

Yeah, and then your rates will probably quadruple over the next 4 years?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pissingintowind posted:

Just don't crash, problem solved.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

If they're at fault? No. Your insurance company will collect from them for you, and then repay your deductible when the other party is found at fault. If you want to collect from an accident on your side, then yes, that's a possibility.

But any good agent should tell you how much your rates will go up over the next few years. I go through a state farm agent, and he's totally up front about how much rates will rise when we make changes in our policy, if we claim an accident, etc. I discovered that for an at fault accident where about 4k of damage was done to the car, our rates would go up about $800 over the next 2 years until the acccident was forgiven. But if there was another at fault accident after that one, it would spike like 5k.

So it's about managing the financial cost vs. the risks of another accident.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Interesting, thanks for the info. So after calling a few places, it would not have been worth it to add collision and comprehensive on a $2,500 bike.

I ended up with the following through Progressive:

$217: Injury Liability - $100K per person/$300K per accident and Property Liability - $50K per accident
$241: Uninsured/Underinsured Personal - $50K per person/$100K per accident
$10: Uninsured Property - $3.5K/$0 deductible

I added the UI/UIM because I figure if I get into an accident with another vehicle, it's unlikely to be my fault. Even though I already have health insurance, I would want to make sure that I'm compensated for lost wages/pain and suffering while recovering. The UI property bit was just too cheap to not throw in.

Gotta love overpaying for insurance coverage - and this is the best I found with a clean record!

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 19, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Those aren't 6 month rates are they?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

JP Money posted:

Those aren't 6 month rates are they?

Nope, full year. Although even for a full year I'd consider that an ankle-grabbing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Are you a new rider? If so, worry not, as long as you keep the fragile bits off the pavement, that premium will go down. I have two big (>1100cc) bikes and two riders covered including comp and collision for less than $400/year.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It depends a lot on your age, location, how long you've had your motorcycle license, how scary your bike sounds, etc etc. Regardless of how long your automobile record has been clean, if you're a young dude with a fresh M endorsement and a racy sounding bike in an urban area you're going to get mouthraped that first year or two. For particularly bad combinations the insurance that first year can be more than the bike payments.

Keep in mind this is because a LOT of dumb idiots buy way too much bike that they smash up, usually very quickly, sometimes hitting other cars/bikes/buildings in the process. I know one guy that totalled his new chopper on the ride home, another that rolled out of the driveway he bought it in straight into a fire hydrant, and I dropped my literbike before escaping the dealer parking lot. Actuarial science is not kind to odds like these.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd also say that multi-line discounts are your friends in a huge way. Stack car, renters/house, and motorcycle insurance to make them all cheaper.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Pope Mobile posted:

Here's hoping I don't have any cylinder related engine problems with a 4-to-1.

don't worry, there's tricks for that too.
you mess around with enough inline 4's and you'll be able to figure it out with a hand over the exhaust and a screwdriver to the ear.

Pufflekins posted:

Not so much that as more efficient evacuation of exhaust. (more power?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

don't worry, there's tricks for that too.
you mess around with enough inline 4's and you'll be able to figure it out with a hand over the exhaust and a screwdriver to the ear.

Not so much that as more efficient evacuation of exhaust. (more power?)

Leans out the AFM a bit, may require jetting adjustment. Not as much as pod filters, so there's that.