Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Appachai posted:

I was running it inside windows.

Don't. Boot off the media. It will ask you where you want to install it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Anyone know of a basic indexing tool?

I don't want something that watches a directory and runs as a service, I want something simple where I tell it to index the contents of C:\folder at the push of a button, then I can search the plaintext contents of that folder and see results (and only that folder). Basically on-demand indexing. I don't care if it doesn't integrate with Explorer, in fact I don't want it to.

Everything I'm finding through Google has its tentacles all over the place, and wants to manage indexing itself.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Sad Panda posted:

It's mainly because if I get some TTS software I can copy & paste a chunk of dialogue to get read to practice listening. Not as good as a native speaker obviously, but it's great for getting random sentences read from a page of them to tune my ear.

You're never going to have any proficiency in a language if you don't have real people to converse with. Your time would be better spent taking a language class somewhere near you (some organizations in my city offers them for free).

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Super Dude posted:

You're never going to have any proficiency in a language if you don't have real people to converse with. Your time would be better spent taking a language class somewhere near you (some organizations in my city offers them for free).

I'm currently riding my bicycle around the Americas and am in the US. There aren't too many language classes somewhere near me as I'm transient and have been since May. I'll be formally studying when I get in to Latin America but that's not for a couple of months and I'm studying by myself before hand.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sad Panda posted:

It's mainly because if I get some TTS software I can copy & paste a chunk of dialogue to get read to practice listening. Not as good as a native speaker obviously, but it's great for getting random sentences read from a page of them to tune my ear.

If Spanish TTS is anything like English TTS, it's going to have weird emphasis and inflection that might throw you off. Maybe it's less of an issue because of how regular Spanish pronunciation is, but I think you might be better off just watching Spanish news shows or documentaries with closed captioning.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

MachinTrucChose posted:

Anyone know of a basic indexing tool?

I don't want something that watches a directory and runs as a service, I want something simple where I tell it to index the contents of C:\folder at the push of a button, then I can search the plaintext contents of that folder and see results (and only that folder). Basically on-demand indexing. I don't care if it doesn't integrate with Explorer, in fact I don't want it to.

Everything I'm finding through Google has its tentacles all over the place, and wants to manage indexing itself.

Try Inforapid Search & Replace. It hasn't been updated in quite a while, but it works.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
There's also Everything.

http://www.voidtools.com/

I looked through the last couple pages for some posts I swore I saw about duplicate image finders and I got no dice. Anyone have recommendations, particularly for something that does "fuzzy" matching and not just precise matches?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I use Visipics for image dupes. The only two problems I've noticed is that there are a handful of pairs is doesn't seem to want to match up (I've ony noticed this, like, twice), and that it freaks out if there are too many matches in one group (like if you've got a hundred of one type of advice dog macro).
Most of the time it works great, and it's fairly easy to go through the dupes and pick which one you want to save.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

WorkingStiff posted:

Don't. Boot off the media. It will ask you where you want to install it.

This worked, however now all my programs are missing. Stuck in the windows.old folders I guess

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
When I was drunk yesterday I showed my friend that if you hit Shift+Alt+Prt Scr you can activate Cool Dude Mode on Windows 7 but now it won't go back to normal! When I tried to revert to regular desktop it just made it look like Windows 98, what the hell has gone wrong?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

spe posted:

When I was drunk yesterday I showed my friend that if you hit Shift+Alt+Prt Scr you can activate Cool Dude Mode on Windows 7 but now it won't go back to normal! When I tried to revert to regular desktop it just made it look like Windows 98, what the hell has gone wrong?

You probably just need to set the theme back to Aero.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Hopefully this is the place to put this, but... right now we have some cwrsync running on our Windows computers. Our Linux servers then connect to them every 15 minutes to rsync down any changes. Unfortunately, we're now looking at a tree of 80gb and 400,000 files. This is taking considerably longer than fifteen minutes just to scan the directory for changes.

Is there anything for Windows that would monitor a particular tree and transmit any changes live, or queue them up to transmit every few minutes, without having to do a bulk scan of the entire tree every time, and do this to a Linux system, preferably via rsync? lsyncd seemed right for it until I realized it was for Linux, not Windows.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 7, 2011

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

spe posted:

Use the Alt-shift on the left side of the keyboard.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
I'm testing a machine with a 60GB SSD and 16BG of RAM at work. I moved the pagefile to a non-SSD to get the disk space back. Is this a bad idea?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

vlack posted:

I'm testing a machine with a 60GB SSD and 16BG of RAM at work. I moved the pagefile to a non-SSD to get the disk space back. Is this a bad idea?

Yes. Paging is exactly the sort of task SSDs are great at. I haven't seen any benchmarks, but some people in the SSD thread report that systems with a lot of RAM can use a smaller manually set page file on the SSD without affecting performance, whereas disabling paging or moving it to a mechanical drive will hinder performance. You're better off moving games (which often don't take good advantage of SSDs) and programs you rarely use to your mechanical drive.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Toast Museum posted:

Yes. Paging is exactly the sort of task SSDs are great at. I haven't seen any benchmarks, but some people in the SSD thread report that systems with a lot of RAM can use a smaller manually set page file on the SSD without affecting performance, whereas disabling paging or moving it to a mechanical drive will hinder performance. You're better off moving games (which often don't take good advantage of SSDs) and programs you rarely use to your mechanical drive.

There aren't any games on this system, it's for work.

It's going to be used for two principle tasks - by our developers to compile software, and by our marketing team to demo our product. (Not at the same time, obviously.) With Windows and VS and Office and nothing else installed, it's already 33GB - more than half full. If I move the whole 16GB pagefile back, I'll end up with less than 10GB free. There aren't going to be a lot of programs that are rarely used, either.

Also, I was concerned that putting it on the SSD would shorten the life of the disk - this was concern with SSDs early on, yes? Is it no longer worth worrying about it?

Maybe this SSD just isn't big enough for this, and I should reinstall Windows to the platter disk, and use the SSD just as VS's compile directory and our program's data dir.

(As an aside: this is the first time I've ever used an SSD, and WinDirStat is loving fast!)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

vlack posted:

There aren't any games on this system, it's for work.

It's going to be used for two principle tasks - by our developers to compile software, and by our marketing team to demo our product. (Not at the same time, obviously.) With Windows and VS and Office and nothing else installed, it's already 33GB - more than half full. If I move the whole 16GB pagefile back, I'll end up with less than 10GB free. There aren't going to be a lot of programs that are rarely used, either.

Also, I was concerned that putting it on the SSD would shorten the life of the disk - this was concern with SSDs early on, yes? Is it no longer worth worrying about it?

Maybe this SSD just isn't big enough for this, and I should reinstall Windows to the platter disk, and use the SSD just as VS's compile directory and our program's data dir.

(As an aside: this is the first time I've ever used an SSD, and WinDirStat is loving fast!)

Sorry, I missed that it was for work. You don't really have to worry about the lifespan of current SSDs; they're supposed to be able to handle something like 100GB of writes every day for at least five years.

If you don't use hibernation, disable it. If I recall correctly, the hibernation file is always the size of your RAM, so you'll save yourself 16GB right there. You might want to get a second opinion in the SSD thread, but I'd prioritize putting Windows on the SSD over most other software.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'd like to start recording video games I play on my PC. To start, I have an Athlon II X4 @ 3.1ghz, 6gb ram, a GTX 560Ti and tons of hard drive space.

I know BC2 might be asking too much as it is, but I do play some older games and wouldn't mind getting matches recorded and stuff like that. I tried FRAPS a few years ago but people say that bogs down a system and even limits it to a set FPS through the settings?

Can anyone weigh in on this?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

I'd like to start recording video games I play on my PC. To start, I have an Athlon II X4 @ 3.1ghz, 6gb ram, a GTX 560Ti and tons of hard drive space.

I know BC2 might be asking too much as it is, but I do play some older games and wouldn't mind getting matches recorded and stuff like that. I tried FRAPS a few years ago but people say that bogs down a system and even limits it to a set FPS through the settings?

Can anyone weigh in on this?
Let's Play! is going to have a lot more experience with this than we will. Their tech support thread is custom-tailored for recording games.

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011
I'm about to return to Windows after several years being away from it. Is there a nicely maintained list of software like in the OP? Those links haven't been updated in years. I'm mainly looking for a really good PDF program. I remember Adobe Acrobat being awful back then.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dance The Mutation posted:

I'm about to return to Windows after several years being away from it. Is there a nicely maintained list of software like in the OP? Those links haven't been updated in years. I'm mainly looking for a really good PDF program. I remember Adobe Acrobat being awful back then.

For initial setup purposes, I'd just peruse the options on Ninite. As for PDF viewing, Foxit has worked well for me, but I haven't tried the competition.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dance The Mutation posted:

A friend recently asked me the same question, so I made a quick and dirty little list for him here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15279013/Software.pdf

I just used Ninite for the link where it supports the app in question

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Toast Museum posted:

For initial setup purposes, I'd just peruse the options on Ninite. As for PDF viewing, Foxit has worked well for me, but I haven't tried the competition.

I've kept my eye on Ninite for the next time I build a computer, but is there any way to specify where things get installed? I'll probably be putting in an SSD and don't want to fill it with unnecessary crap.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

hooah posted:

I've kept my eye on Ninite for the next time I build a computer, but is there any way to specify where things get installed? I'll probably be putting in an SSD and don't want to fill it with unnecessary crap.

Not as far as I know. I guess you could look into setting up symbolic links so the programs actually go somewhere else, but frankly I doubt it's worth it. Most of the programs Ninite installs are pretty small, so unless you get a tiny SSD you'll probably never notice them on there.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
I have a laptop with windows 7 32 bit, I am planning on building a desktop with windows 7 64 bit. Will I need to purchase a brand new copy of windows 7 64 bit or is there some way to get around it. I do not have a installation cd of any kind, just a back up of windows 7 32 bit. Google is pretty much telling me I do but I wanted to double check here.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
So if I install new Catalyst video drivers, do I still need to uninstall the old ones first as I did back in the day? Or has AMD figured out how to do driver updates without making GBS threads the bed?

And in case I need to rollback, will setting a system restore point be sufficient?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I currently have a laptop dual-booting Win7 and the Win8 preview. In retrospect, putting two 20 gig OSes on a single 60 gig drive was a poor idea. I want to nuke the Win8 partition and have my drive space back. How would I go about this?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Javid posted:

I currently have a laptop dual-booting Win7 and the Win8 preview. In retrospect, putting two 20 gig OSes on a single 60 gig drive was a poor idea. I want to nuke the Win8 partition and have my drive space back. How would I go about this?

Boot into Win7, go to Disk Management, delete the Win8 partition, then you should be able to expand the Win7 partition space into the newly unallocated space.

texaholic posted:

I have a laptop with windows 7 32 bit, I am planning on building a desktop with windows 7 64 bit. Will I need to purchase a brand new copy of windows 7 64 bit or is there some way to get around it. I do not have a installation cd of any kind, just a back up of windows 7 32 bit. Google is pretty much telling me I do but I wanted to double check here.
You need to buy a separate copy.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
Windows Server 2008 R2 - I currently have 2 NICs in my server, one connecting to the internet and one to the local network. I added a virtual network for VMs (internal only), and DHCP works fine, however, NAT does not. Do I really need to add another physical network card so I can create a virtual network card from that in order to get NAT capabilities for my VMs?

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Please help me fix my computer. I'm on Windows 7 64 bit. I clicked on a link and things got fishy, Firefox closed all of its windows and I immediately ran Microsoft Security Essentials. It detected something called Alureon, and removed a file while putting the other in quarantine. It told me to restart, so I did, and then this nice message came up:

"Error loading operating system."

And that's that. Please help. :(

VV thank you.

Rekkit fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 9, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Rekkit posted:

Please help me fix my computer. I'm on Windows 7 64 bit. I clicked on a link and things got fishy, Firefox closed all of its windows and I immediately ran Microsoft Security Essentials. It detected something called Alureon, and removed a file while putting the other in quarantine. It told me to restart, so I did, and then this nice message came up:

"Error loading operating system."

And that's that. Please help. :(

You're probably best making a thread in the tech support forum - and is that message appearing before you get into Windows, just after your computer starts? And can you get into Safe Mode (hammer F8 over and over after you turn the computer on)? You also might need a copy of your Windows disc in case you need to do a repair install, but make a thread in that forum anyhow and give them all that info

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Can anyone think of a way (registry hacks or an external program, if necessary), in which I can either:

Redirect the Vista Games Explorer button (in the start menu) to a normal folder
OR
Create a new special folder button (i.e. those that appear under the user picture) that can be linked to a normal folder

32-bit if it makes a difference.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Marinmo posted:

Windows Server 2008 R2 - I currently have 2 NICs in my server, one connecting to the internet and one to the local network. I added a virtual network for VMs (internal only), and DHCP works fine, however, NAT does not. Do I really need to add another physical network card so I can create a virtual network card from that in order to get NAT capabilities for my VMs?

Convert the internal only to an external and use the dhcp card. Should work if Hyper-v.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Are there any good telnet/ssh apps for Windows 7? Tabbed sessions would be nice, as would free. Right now I use putty, it's... okay.

E: would also like to be able to copy and paste into it, if that's a thing SSH clients can do.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 10, 2011

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.
Putty is best I know of.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Comradephate posted:

Are there any good telnet/ssh apps for Windows 7? Tabbed sessions would be nice, as would free. Right now I use putty, it's... okay.

E: would also like to be able to copy and paste into it, if that's a thing SSH clients can do.

I've been using XShell lately. It has tabbed sessions and is free.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Intrepid00 posted:

Putty is best I know of.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

I like putty, but I like puttytray even more:

http://haanstra.eu/putty/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Anyone have any recommendations for a nice little "work timer" app which regulates your work and break times with countdown timers and stuff?

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
Orzeszek timer - Simple timer, no work/break scheduling
Pomodairo or focusbooster, Adobe Air apps based on the Pomodoro time management method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
FYI, Newegg has a $15 off windows 7 sp1 64 bit for the next 48 hours using promotional code EMCJKJJ42