Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
I bought GOOG at $750 last year and it seemed like a terrible idea almost immediately afterwards because it dropped to $650 - but I held.

Jesus, I just realized that goog, nflx, aapl, and msft represent a huge part of my portfolio - even after selling giant chunks of nflx...

Goddammit, I've become dot-com era overweight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

You know the market's still going crazy when the only stock acting rationally is Tesla; there is no stopping the major NASDAQ stocks at all so far.

The only trade I can even think of right now is shorting AAPL tomorrow to see if it follows the drop after announcement pattern again.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 21, 2013

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?
$SPY short 174.50 testing the waters here

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Acquilae posted:

You know the market's still going crazy when the only stock acting rationally is Tesla; there is no stopping the major NASDAQ stocks at all so far.

The only trade I can even think of right now is shorting AAPL tomorrow to see if it follows the drop after announcement pattern again.

In what way are stocks not acting rationally?

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Gamesguy posted:

Because if I can't give a lovely two line CNBC headline to describe why they are moving my world crumbles beneath me

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Gamesguy posted:

Not moving in the direction I want them to!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
NFLX :allears:

I sold my shares a while back. :qq:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hey, guess who forgot to buy NFLX options AGAIN? :suicide:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Earnings from the big names so far(GOOG/CMG/NFLX) have been stellar so far; I've been staying out of trading for a week but might do some small earnings plays in FB/LNKD and shorting AMZN again.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Holy poo poo Netflix is up like 300% YTD.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Acquilae posted:

Earnings from the big names so far(GOOG/CMG/NFLX) have been stellar so far; I've been staying out of trading for a week but might do some small earnings plays in FB/LNKD and shorting AMZN again.

Did you miss IBM?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Hey, guess who forgot to buy NFLX options AGAIN? :suicide:

You wouldn't have made much money on them. The IV on otm calls was like 150%.

I considered throwing a bet on NFLX but it was such a large risk for a relatively small gain(about 100%) even with a 10% move after earnings. Not favorable at all.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 22, 2013

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

abagofcheetos posted:

Did you miss IBM?
Eh IBM's been bearish all year compared to the others; I don't think an earnings beat would do much for the stock in its state.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
It had lackluster earnings and dropped like 7% already...

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell happened to NFLX?

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Added to my $SPY short, this might be it.

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013
People keep talking about the "machines selling at the same time" does that literally mean that there are TA conditions that trigger institutional algorithms to sell automatically? And if so what are the conditions usually? I imagine if you can reasonably predict that then you can steal money (is this just what TA always relies on?).

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

Failed breakaway gap. There might be a buying op coming up if it reverses to trend line.

Sanky Panky posted:

Added to my $SPY short, this might be it.
What makes you think that? I personally would not short this market.

Lightning Zwei posted:

People keep talking about the "machines selling at the same time" does that literally mean that there are TA conditions that trigger institutional algorithms to sell automatically? And if so what are the conditions usually? I imagine if you can reasonably predict that then you can steal money (is this just what TA always relies on?).

No, "the machines" are a collective boogeyman traders(especially daytraders) like to blame for everything. In reality the whole algo trading industry has been in steep decline due to vastly diminished profits and "the machines" have an easier time trying to profit off each other than human traders.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 22, 2013

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Gamesguy posted:

I am curious about this as well.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

abagofcheetos posted:

It was overvalued.

The stock has quadrupled in the last year and I am sure a lot of people are taking their money and running. It is the kind of company which has a bright future one day and is being called the next blockbuster the next. Why take the risk of dealing with that when you have a 400% gain on it?

bassadilla
Dec 24, 2004

Let me ring that up for you.

abagofcheetos posted:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/icahn-sells-about-3-million-shares-in-netflix-2013-10-22-184854334

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, saw that later in the day... nothing like lopping off a few billion market cap by selling your stock :q:

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Probably loaded up on puts before he released that tweet so he can make money on people blindly following him too.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Gamesguy posted:

Probably loaded up on puts before he released that tweet so he can make money on people blindly following him too.

Pretty sure the SEC would have a big problem with that.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

:laffo:

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Gamesguy posted:

This aside, I hate Icahn. If you followed his statements during the whole Dell ordeal you'd probably hate him too. He was manipulating the hell out of shareholders for the sake of his own profit.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Marketwatch posted:

Icahn Enterprises, however, said that it believes the stock "remains significantly undervalued," calling Netflix "one of the great consumer bargains of our time."

Hahahah, yeah right. If he really thinks it's "undervalued" he probably wouldn't sell half his stake. Who the gently caress would give up on a "greatest bargain of our time"? Great way to pump it up so you can dump the other half too.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 23, 2013

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Keisari posted:

Hahahah, yeah right. If he really thinks it's "undervalued" he probably wouldn't sell half his stake. Who the gently caress would give up on a "greatest bargain of our time"? Great way to pump it up so you can dump the other half too.
Maybe he just wanted to buy a $1 billion house! He didn't really want to sell, he just needed the cash.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
icahn owns idiots. he like the polar opposite of buffet

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Bulls seem to be fighting off any selling pressure today. I might short AMZN post-earnings (in case it decides to go down tomorrow and have another 10pt rally) but I'm short a 290/295/350/355 IC as the earnings play.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Keisari posted:

Greatest consumer bargain, not investor bargain.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
From WSJ:

Here are four “technical considerations” Mr. Purves offers as reasons investors should consider when choosing to take a short position in Tesla. From Mr. Purves:
1. Uptrend Broken. Since the stock broke decisively higher in early May, it has maintained support at the 21 day [simple-moving average] for the minor corrections and the 45 day SMA for the more significant correction (e.g. July)…Both of these supports are now broken.
2. Head and Shoulders Established. A head and shoulders pattern is developing from August with the neckline just broken. (MoneyBeat note: Head-and-shoulders is a widely-known and recognizable chart pattern. It highlights a stock’s strength in the left shoulder and the head, and the failure of the right shoulder to make a new high.)
3. Volume Higher on Down Days. As we have seen with other high momentum plays over the past few weeks, volume has been accelerating on down days. In general, volume has been picking up as the support levels discussed above have been broken.
4. Non-confirming RSI’s. Daily [relative strength indexes] have been trending steadily downwards, not confirming the higher prices reached in early October. More ominously, the weekly RSI’s have been treading steadily down from very overbought conditions and now are below 70. This pattern of non-confirming weekly RSI’s was a key sell signal for AppleAAPL +0.79% when it made its life time high in September 2012.

Question:
Why are 21 and 45 days significant? Just cuz the lines match up?

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

fougera posted:

*licks finger, sticks it into the air, and pauses*
*thinking*

Aaaah...Twenty-ONE day moving average! Yes, that is the number!

Only a moran uses anything other than a the following moving averages on their charts:
1) 11-day EMA
2) 24.2-day SMA
3) 67-day GMA
4) 492.73-day EMA

Thank me later :cool:

f2a
Feb 17, 2005

the pound is stronger than the dolla, holla

fougera posted:

Question:

Presumably because 0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 etc.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Jack Daniels posted:

*licks finger, sticks it into the air, and pauses*
*thinking*

Aaaah...Twenty-ONE day moving average! Yes, that is the number!

Only a moran uses anything other than a the following moving averages on their charts:
1) 11-day EMA
2) 24.2-day SMA
3) 67-day GMA
4) 492.73-day EMA

Thank me later :cool:

lol

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
this is how i do all my charting

(lmao at it actually looking reasonable)

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Gamesguy posted:

Failed breakaway gap. There might be a buying op coming up if it reverses to trend line.

No, "the machines" are a collective boogeyman traders(especially daytraders) like to blame for everything. In reality the whole algo trading industry has been in steep decline due to vastly diminished profits and "the machines" have an easier time trying to profit off each other than human traders.

Sorry for late response but I have been kind of busy lately.

As you know I got some $SPY in 174.50 and added some at 175.50 area. (Average of 175)

Hera are a few of my reasons:

Sanky Panky posted:

This market is setting up for a really nice short starting at 175.00-176.00 area :)

I will start short positions if we get to that area.

2. VIX was getting bid yesterday while SPY was green.

3. Anemic volume in the breakout.

4. Why not short, I do not see any fundamental reason for this rally. Can was kicked down the road and sooner or later the market will catch up to it.

5. US Economic growth slowing:
  • Interest Rate Reversal
  • Weaker Dollar

FYI:
I am constantly watching my position so all of this is not a line in the sand. As of today I am going short overnight.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
I dunno. My thesis since I went big into bonds back in July has been Fed was bluffing about tapering and liquidity is here for a good long while since they have no feasible exit until the economy is booming again. I think the market is starting to realize this too: the Republicans have cried wolf so we won't see another shutdown or major debt ceiling debacle, and the Fed poo poo itself when it nearly killed the interest rate markets, so they won't be tapering anytime soon, and the economy is systematically knee-capped by our hosed up fiscal policy and systemic changes to the labor market. So, the bid is on until reality hits us in a tail event or we somehow manage to have a real recovery and interest rates can normalize without everyone going ape poo poo. (I'm selling all my bonds if we correct back to the pre-July rates.)

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
ANGI's earnings call confirms that this company is a pile of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Sanky Panky posted:

4. Why not short, I do not see any fundamental reason for this rally. Can was kicked down the road and sooner or later the market will catch up to it.
You know I have been following this thread since before the 2008 crash and in that time there has always been someone saying how they are sitting in cash or just sold all his positions because the government is "kicking the can" on something, the impending financial apocalypse is around the corner, Ron Paul 2012, etc. etc.

But here is the thing: the government has been "kicking the can" for the past 75 years on [i]something.[/] It is the simple truth of our government and economy. If you are making major modifications to your portfolio because of some perceived politically induced meltdown, you are not longer investing. You are now speculating and probably better off at the craps table.

The same thing goes for this ridiculous TA crap you guys are spouting. A company's 27 day moving average doesn't say jack poo poo about how the firm performs or its future prospects. You invest in a company because you feel it can make an adequate return by its operations, not because its stock price is on the verge of a technical breakout. The latter is just making a decision in a poker game based upon the body language of the guy across the table.