Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Uh, excuse me? What the hell? >_>

You came here for the Dangan Ronpa thread didn't you? God drat it

I'd also like to thank the team for another great translation of what looks like a very good game. They don't have a Gussun Oyoyo for 3DS or anything, do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Am I seriously not allowed to make a stupid joke around here without three different people jumping down my throat about it? Kinda harsh, don'tcha think?

redmercer posted:

You came here for the Dangan Ronpa thread didn't you? God drat it
I don't even know what the hell that is. I came here for GCCX.

AzraelDarkheart fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 10, 2013

Lik
Apr 8, 2013

Kachou ON!
Just finished the Mega Man 4 eps. Wow, what a finish. Only Arino can make it so exciting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Am I seriously not allowed to make a stupid joke around here without three different people jumping down my throat about it? Kinda harsh, don'tcha think?

I don't even know what the hell that is. I came here for GCCX.

See this post? You didn't use any lovely IRC/Twitter emotes. Keep doing that.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

See this post? You didn't use any lovely IRC/Twitter emotes. Keep doing that.

Last I checked, this was the internet. People use emotes. Last page, someone who wasn't me used a "T_T" emote. Remind me why I'm getting attacked but this person got a free pass.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

E: Never mind, bad idea to continue.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Seriously guys stop backseat moderating. Just report it and move on.

There was just a thread about not doing this poo poo in LP too.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Haam posted:

Seriously guys stop backseat moderating. Just report it and move on.

There was just a thread about not doing this poo poo in LP too.

Report what? Can someone explain to me if there's some sort of rule against the way I posted? I've read through the forum rules multiple times (including just now, to double check). I've never seen anything against referencing stupid internet memes or using emotes.

Edit: Hah. Nevermind. I just found the "don't use memes" rule. Interesting. Sorry I made a stupid joke. But FFS, don't jump down my throat about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Those of you who don't watch until the King's message are missing out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lik
Apr 8, 2013

Kachou ON!

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Last I checked, this was the internet. People use emotes. Last page, someone who wasn't me used a "T_T" emote. Remind me why I'm getting attacked but this person got a free pass.

that was actually my face, not an emote.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The King is an OUYA fan. Typical.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I was actually meaning to ask if there was some sort of meaning to that portion of the title. I get Gossun being the dude's name, but what the hell is an "Oyoyo"?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

In fact it's a clever slam on the OUYA highlighting that you can't use two of the buttons because of the shoddy way the aluminium faceplate doesn't line up.

Also as you read it, your OUYA silently performs a $5 IAP for each letter of the King's message.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

kirbysuperstar posted:

The OUYA has all the best games. Like an NES emulator, and an SNES emulator. Look out BIG THREE!

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

AzraelDarkheart posted:

I was actually meaning to ask if there was some sort of meaning to that portion of the title. I get Gossun being the dude's name, but what the hell is an "Oyoyo"?

I think it's an Age of Empires reference. Maybe?

Or maybe it's like YOLO.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 10, 2013

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Gussun is the sound of sobbing, specifically sniffling, and Oyoyo is a sound one makes when they're surprised (kinda outdated now and very wacky; I think it was popularized by a comedian). Like if I had to localize their names, it'd be something dumb like Sniffles and Zoinks.

(There are two stars in this game: Gussun and Oyoyo. Player 2 controls Oyoyo, who we didn't get to see. Looks just like Gussun but wears green.)

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 10, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

redmercer posted:

I'd also like to thank the team for another great translation of what looks like a very good game. They don't have a Gussun Oyoyo for 3DS or anything, do they?

Nah, there hasn't been a new Gussun Oyoyo game since the PSX days. Aside from the original arcade game, there are two Super Famicom games (Arino played the first one) and two PSX/Saturn games, plus a PSX spinoff that's more of a standard platformer (and the only one of the games to be released outside of Japan).

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Takeshi no Chousenjou's karaoke is really funny. If I understand it correctly, it just increments a counter every time there's sound in the mic (not sure if it's by time, or toggled) and if that counter is high enough, you pass.

AzraelDarkheart posted:

No offense to you but really, when people say 'lurk more' and you don't get why it means you should do just that. There's a lot more than just "memes" people are complaining about.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

zari-gani posted:

Gussun is the sound of sobbing, specifically sniffling, and Oyoyo is a sound one makes when they're surprised (kinda outdated now and very wacky; I think it was popularized by a comedian). Like if I had to localize their names, it'd be something dumb like Sniffles and Zoinks.

(There are two stars in this game: Gussun and Oyoyo. Player 2 controls Oyoyo, who we didn't get to see. Looks just like Gussun but wears green.)

Their western names are now Bow and Chika-wow-wow and I'll hear no argument. :colbert:

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Keyboard Kid posted:

No offense to you but really, when people say 'lurk more' and you don't get why it means you should do just that. There's a lot more than just "memes" people are complaining about.
So because some people tell me to stop posting, without telling me why in most cases, I should just shut up and do so? I get the meme thing, I was wrong there (though, again, someone made a stupid YOLO joke and I don't see anyone jumping down that guy's throat). But the only other complaint I've gotten was "you use emotes". Does that fall into "internet slang and jargon" and I'm just reading the rules wrong? If there's something else that I'm doing, feel free to say it. But don't just expect me to stop posting because some other goon says to. I have every right to post here as they do.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AzraelDarkheart posted:

So because some people tell me to stop posting, without telling me why in most cases, I should just shut up and do so? I get the meme thing, I was wrong there (though, again, someone made a stupid YOLO joke and I don't see anyone jumping down that guy's throat). But the only other complaint I've gotten was "you use emotes". Does that fall into "internet slang and jargon" and I'm just reading the rules wrong? If there's something else that I'm doing, feel free to say it. But don't just expect me to stop posting because some other goon says to. I have every right to post here as they do.

What they mean by why is things like jumping on little mistakes in translation in the show which aren't outright mistranslations pretty often, not knowing when enough is enough like when you first joined and kept pushing the XSEED translation thing and this particular incident. Those are just things I noticed. No one wants you to stop posting forever, but people want to talk about GCCX and lurk more is basically "change the subject" or "shut up for a bit".

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Because nobody likes you

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Aurain posted:

What they mean by why is things like jumping on little mistakes in translation in the show which aren't outright mistranslations pretty often, not knowing when enough is enough like when you first joined and kept pushing the XSEED translation thing and this particular incident. Those are just things I noticed. No one wants you to stop posting forever, but people want to talk about GCCX and lurk more is basically "change the subject" or "shut up for a bit".

I wasn't "jumping on little mistakes". I asked a legitimate question because I was doing my best to read the article myself. And I didn't point anything out about the show.

And wtf is with this new avatar and text I have, and how the hell do I turn it off?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

AzraelDarkheart posted:

And wtf is with this new avatar and text I have, and how the hell do I turn it off?

Welcome to Something Awful, where other people can (for a price, unless they're a mod/admin, I think) set your avatar and title for you.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Teeheeheeheehee!
Your fresh young naiveté warms the cockles of my cold, shriveled chicken heart.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 10, 2013

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It's been a while since I've seen someone called out so hard not gonna lie. Also your name is beyond ridiculous its almost a parody. Too bad its not.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

AzraelDarkheart posted:

I wasn't "jumping on little mistakes". I asked a legitimate question because I was doing my best to read the article myself. And I didn't point anything out about the show.

Shut up already. Don't reply unless it's got something to do with the actual thread topic you loving goof.

That troll message made me curious about something, has there been an instance on the show where Arino was genuinely angry about something? I imagine that comment didn't faze him since he's a comedian and they deal with poo poo like that on the regular, but games are different when it's only you that's to blame. I mean the most I ever see him in is a state of frustration, but he alleviates that with jokes and laughs so it's no big deal. Sometimes the frustration becomes so tangible I start to feel it myself, that game over hell he experienced in Super Mario World comes to mind. Maybe he's just too amiable to approach anywhere near "rage" as you so often see on the internet? Maybe he's just too old (maturity is questionable) for that poo poo? I wonder what kind of game it would take to bring out something like that in him?

edit: Ah right, that splat thing, I remember seeing that on the fanart.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 10, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

That troll message made me curious about something, has there been an instance on the show where Arino was genuinely angry about something? ... Maybe he's just too amiable to approach anywhere near "rage" as you so often see on the internet? Maybe he's just too old (maturity is questionable) for that poo poo? I wonder what kind of game it would take to bring out something like that in him?

I recall that for one episode they gave Arino a golden pig toy to throw if he got stressed and at one point I was surprised at how hard he threw it against the table. Nothing else comes to mind, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's just natural to get peeved when you're frustrated, but I assume any genuine outbursts he has are left on the cutting room floor. It's quite often mentioned that he constantly displays exceptional patience while playing games so it strikes me as the kind of image they strive to protect. They mentioned that trait of his on the interview special released a week or so ago so he's definitely noted for it.

There was also the thing with the jelly ball* for throwing at the desk, but they forced him to do that.

Edit: *The video above is what I meant by jelly ball.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Gussun Oyoyo goes right up there with Umihara Kawase and Bio Miracle on the list of strange japanese games I might need to import. (I still don't have any modern consoles so no virtual shops for me.) Seriously, it looked like a really fun game.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Azazell0 posted:

Gussun Oyoyo goes right up there with Umihara Kawase and Bio Miracle on the list of strange japanese games I might need to import. (I still don't have any modern consoles so no virtual shops for me.) Seriously, it looked like a really fun game.

Be prepared to pay a lot for Bio Miracle, the cartridge re-release is really expensive and the Disk alone is like 30-40 dollars. (I should know, I bought one :retrogames:)

Watched this episode on my phone while taking my long trip to work today, thanks a lot guys!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just got done watching the Gussun Oyoyo episode (once again, great job SAGCCX :)), and I got some serious Tetris Plus vibes from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXfAeCRz51w

Is/was Tetris Plus considered a spiritual sequel to Oyoyo? Wikipedia says Tetris Plus was released in arcades (as well as the PSOne, Game Boy, and Saturn) back in '96, which was a year after Super Oyoyo assuming GCCX is correct with their release years. I dunno when the first Oyoyo game came out, but I assume it was a year or two prior.

Edit: This article about the first Oyoyo game says it came out in arcades back in '93.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 10, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^The recent Hudson-developed Tetris game for DS/3DS/Wii includes a similar mode, too.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Azazell0 posted:

If you have a Wii, Bio Miracle is on the Virtual Console.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 10, 2013

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I know, but I consider Wii a modern console. Maybe it'll come out for the Super Nintendo virtual shop someday.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Oh geez, I somehow overlooked the comment in parentheses. My bad.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Azazell0 posted:

I know, but I consider Wii a modern console. Maybe it'll come out for the Super Nintendo virtual shop someday.

You know you could probably score a wii and classic controller for less than $80. It's worth it with the amounts of imports and hard to find games on there. Like turbographix 16 stuff, or sin and punishment 64.

And for another twenty, you can buy some cables so you can use classic Nes and snes controllers through the wiimote.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess you could buy one of those bootleg "Baby Mario" versions of Bio Miracle, maybe? I wonder how much those go for these days...

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Ineffiable posted:

You know you could probably score a wii and classic controller for less than $80. It's worth it with the amounts of imports and hard to find games on there. Like turbographix 16 stuff, or sin and punishment 64.

And for another twenty, you can buy some cables so you can use classic Nes and snes controllers through the wiimote.
To add to this, Wiis are easy to softmod and people have made really nice emulators for nearly every system available. So, you can play stuff that isn't on the VC, ROMHacks, or fan translated games (like Super Monkey Adventure :v:) on your TV without having to hook your computer up to your TV (unless of course you have a dedicated TV computer) or paying a bundle for flashcarts or reproduction carts.

The only real downside is that you aren't playing on the original hardware, which I admit is a lot more fun than emulation. But, it's nice having the option available. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Adamant posted:

I'd actually be interested in a detailed guide that explains what the different things and options do, and what events trigger what. I know it's possible to buy the treasure map in the book store, but I have no clue if it's possible to beat the game by doing that. All the guides I've seen have been incredibly straight-forward "do this, then this, then this" solutions.

I actually did find a guide here.

So for those who want to understand just how unfair and dickish Takeshi's Challenge is, here's a description of the first city, and how to pass it:

1) First, there's the two buildings where you can get money - your workplace and the bank. These were shown in the episode:
*In the workplace, you get 200000 yen from talking to the boss, 500000 yen from taking to the boss again and quitting your job, and there's a secret stash of 100000 yen hidden in the first room. Asking for a leave or a paid vacation will result in you NOT getting the 500000 from quitting your job.
*In the bank, you get 50000 yen from making a withdrawal.
(All this is pretty simple to figure out with a bit of trial and error save for the secret money stash, which you don't actually need)

2) Next, there's the stores, where you can get items by buying things. This includes the three non-karaoke bars. There are 8 stores in total, selling a total of 59 items. 12 of these will show up in your inventory when you buy them (hangglider certificate, scuba certificate, balloon certificate, ballroom dance diploma, breakdance diploma, airplane license, ship license and the 5 different airplane tickets you can buy). One of the items (tequila from Bar Gold) heals you a bit when you buy it. One of the item is a fake treasure map that shows you a screen similar to the real one, this one appears important but has no actual effect.

3) The pachinko parlor. 6 more items to buy with your balls here, 2 of which will show up in your inventory (the shamisen and the shakuhachi). Oh, and that "trick" they show to get 5000 balls right away? You HAVE to use it. If you just play normally (it's very easy to win, actually) you'll be asked to stop once you reach 3800 balls. The shamisen is 4000. Balls do not stack between tries. This game is a dick. (though thankfully the shamisen isn't actually required, it just makes things easier. Not sure how)

4) The karaoke bar. Unlike the other stores, this lets you "buy a new glass" after you drink one, which at least hints towards this possibly having an effect if you experiment a bit.
*Drink 5 glasses to get sent home. Your wife will ask you what you want now, with 5 options. Choosing anything but the divorce option will just make you leave as normal, and you need to repeat the drinking to get the question again. Asking for the divorce and then paying up when asked will get you the divorce papers in the inventory, which will at least hint towards that being necessary.
*Drink two glasses to be asked to sing karaoke. Only four songs can actually be sung - it doesn't matter which of them you choose, but the Shinkaichi one is easier to get a "good" on. Get 3 "good" in a row to make the yakuza appear, choose to fight them to make them fight, stay on the screen for a bit for the old man to appear, etc etc, you saw this in the video. You need to kill the old man to keep the map afterwards. Note that it doesn't show up in your inventory, though.

5) Finally, there's the airport, where you will take a plane if you have one of the five tickets in your inventory. If you have both the Southern Islands ticket and have killed the old man for the map, you will get to the next area, otherwise the plane will explode for no given reason and you'll get an instant game over.

This was only the first area of the game. Remember there are no hints towards ANY of this stuff, it's all about trying random stuff until you stumble over things that seem like they may be important.
Sounds fun yet?