Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well now I have to order some gin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
Top gear adjacent, season 3 of Clarksons Farm dropped. I watched the 4 episodes that are out so far and drat near teared up at the end of episode 4. drat it, Baroness :(

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
My wife couldnt care less about Top Gear and absolutely loves Clarkson Farm. Its always nice to find shows we can enjoy together. Its an excellent program.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Clarkson's Farm seemed like they were going to try to do "Top Gear but in the country!" and then accidently stumbled into something so much better.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Wasn't season three of Clarkson farm going to be the last one commissioned? I remember Amazon cutting the contract after some chad-adjacent statement from Jezza a bit back.

EDIT: God loving dammit, i hate prime video ads, it's worse than free to air tv.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 3, 2024

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Farm 3 so far so good. Was not expecting groove armada

I feel like if he didn't have a show and just did this poo poo low key he could've had a restaurant and nobody would've been upset.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how Kaleb has grown into his screen presence. He started out kind of a gimmick local yokel but now he's throwing out topspin as fast as Clarkson can fend it off

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

SlowBloke posted:

Wasn't season three of Clarkson farm going to be the last one commissioned? I remember Amazon cutting the contract after some chad-adjacent statement from Jezza a bit back.

No, in fact there's even a fourth season coming. It's very popular.

The last 'controversy' was something he said about Meghan Markle and the only people who give a poo poo about that are hardcore royal family followers, and half of them probably agree with him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The "MONOCULTURES ARE BAD, PAY ATTENTION TO THIS" overtitles seemed to be a teensy bit pointed lol

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I adore Clarkson's Farm and am very happy to have another season. Like all Clarkson programs it has it's little biases and faults but its very, I dunno, sincere? These are fun people to spend time with, Kaleb being the star of course. It also helps that it is filmed beautifully, in 4K HDR it just looks fantastic.

Clarkson is absolutely right about those pigs. Those are extremely good looking oinkers. Poor pigglies :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not sure i expected Jeremy Clarkson to be the one to step into the uks timeless James Herriot role but here we are

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
The council is absolutely right to call him on his bullshit, especially in regard to the local products only thing (Lisa come the gently caress on), but he does have some fair points. Its too bad hes burnt up all of his good will by being a cock for the first 2 seasons and now they dont want to play anymore

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the whole shop vs council thing seems about 50% "the locals hate you no matter what because by virtue of being Jezza, you bring in way more customers than everyone else combined" and 50% "because he's Jezza, he has spent a lifetime making GBS threads on this council and everyone like them, and now there are consequences".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, the whole shop vs council thing seems about 50% "the locals hate you no matter what because by virtue of being Jezza, you bring in way more customers than everyone else combined" and 50% "because he's Jezza, he has spent a lifetime making GBS threads on this council and everyone like them, and now there are consequences".

This very thread has history of sometimes having difficulty remembering that Clarkson we see in TV is a media character played by Clarkson, similarly as May and Hammond are doing. Jezza however has the "loudmouthed idiot" media persona locked in so tight he is ignored also when he has a point, or is trying to do something different than driving dream cars in a scripted TV-show that is over the top by design.

I am not saying that I agree with Jeremy on everything he is doing at his farm, but one season 2 highlight was him being denied the permit to make an access road on his own property, because of council being petty about it.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

In the same way that the Clarkson we see on TV is a media character and not necessarily who he is in day to day life, Clarksons Farm is a scripted television show and not a documentary about the trials and tribulations of a farmer interacting with the local council...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At a certain point you have to wonder whether there is any "him" left at all

(Clarkson's Farm is closer to that than Top Gear certainly because we get to see him trying to hold his personal relationship with Lisa at arm's length while still having her be an on-screen character semi-consensually)

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The cut to Clarksons 'Im Sex Splitting My Weaners' t-shirt is maybe the hardest laugh i've had at anything this year.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
As if this is a tough decision...

https://twitter.com/thegrandtour/status/1788928309004308852

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I mean it would be great fun to do all three. I got a chance to have a couple minutes conversation with all three of them individually at different parts of the day while at the taping to the debut episode of The Grand Tour and they all would be pretty great to hang with for an afternoon.

May in Tuscany would probably be my choice but I'd be wishing Oz Clarke was there instead of me so James could make fun of him.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
On another Clarkson farm note YAY GERALD!

The mushroom farming seem quite a hit, moving lot of produce with minimal complexity. Compared to the pigs it seems lot of less work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Data Graham posted:

At a certain point you have to wonder whether there is any "him" left at all

It's this for me. The line between "real Clarkson" and "caricature Clarkson" is very faint and blurry now.

pik_d posted:

As if this is a tough decision...

Can I choose "rebuilding a lawnmower carburetor with May" instead?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
FWIW he conversed like a normal person when we talked with him. It doesn't hurt at all that my wife is an tall attractive woman with an English accent (due to being English), but I was pleasantly surprised at how 'normal' they all were with the fans that managed to be standing near them waiting for shoots/reshoots (which is how we came to be speaking with Richard & James). Jeremy just chatted to us during the lunch break.

Seeing how the sausage gets made was interesting, but it did kill a bit of the mystique for me. Seeing them be spontaneous pals goofing around despite it being the 5th take of things was impressive though, the ability to still be seeming to be having fun despite repeating lines they'd worked on a few times and workshopped a bit in some cases.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I like how one of these options is basically "kill the hamster"

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

SlowBloke posted:

On another Clarkson farm note YAY GERALD!

The mushroom farming seem quite a hit, moving lot of produce with minimal complexity. Compared to the pigs it seems lot of less work.

Me and a buddy tried growing psilocybin mushrooms in like Rubbermaid tubs way back in the day. Before you could just buy a fairly idiot proof kit for em. And before we had it dialed in we went through 6 or 7 batches of the grossest moldy shrooms. I'll never forget the smell.

On a separate note, did they fire dilwyn the vet after that 670 dollar bill?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Preoptopus posted:

Me and a buddy tried growing psilocybin mushrooms in like Rubbermaid tubs way back in the day. Before you could just buy a fairly idiot proof kit for em. And before we had it dialed in we went through 6 or 7 batches of the grossest moldy shrooms. I'll never forget the smell.

He was just doing what Lisa asked him to do. Lisa seems like the farm's main antagonist after the council.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

He was just doing what Lisa asked him to do. Lisa seems like the farm's main antagonist after the council.

Without a doubt. Clarkson and the crew seem to have gotten most everything else sorted out (besides ill will with the council) but Lisa is flagrantly ignoring their orders while complaining that the council is saying they're violating their orders

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm up to episode 7. I am loving Charlie's bit of negotiating with himself.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I liked the Season 3, really did. More than the last season of May's "Our man in" which was a complete phone in. I actually found the part about mushroom farming really interesting. Also Kaleb is less present in this one, and actually played as an antagonist to a degree, forcing the man to do stuff by himself.

I really wonder did Clarkson actually come up with the pigsty ring by himself, or if it was TV-show magic. Because if he did, he really did fix a major flaw on the design of those igloos.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
TG Australia Ep 1 quick review -

Looks good, Moog is by far the best presenter, the other two are clueless knobends

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

I liked the Season 3, really did. More than the last season of May's "Our man in" which was a complete phone in. I actually found the part about mushroom farming really interesting. Also Kaleb is less present in this one, and actually played as an antagonist to a degree, forcing the man to do stuff by himself.

I really wonder did Clarkson actually come up with the pigsty ring by himself, or if it was TV-show magic. Because if he did, he really did fix a major flaw on the design of those igloos.

The ring really seemed like a common sense item but maybe pig farmers just didnt care? His mortality rate was impressively bad before

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Captain Toasted posted:

The ring really seemed like a common sense item but maybe pig farmers just didnt care? His mortality rate was impressively bad before

It was partly he lack of heating while it was very cold. So all the piglets cuddled up way closer than they normally would.

Preoptopus posted:

Nah Jenny is just the one handling house calls later, its the same vet practice.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 19, 2024

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
Anyone else catch top gear Australia? Moog was pretty good and I really enjoyed the second episode in Colombia

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I honestly forgot it was coming out. Time to hook up the ol' 10,000 mile coax cable.

For anyone who may be having trouble finding it, it's showing up as season 5 of the 2008 show.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wolrah posted:

I honestly forgot it was coming out. Time to hook up the ol' 10,000 mile coax cable.

For anyone who may be having trouble finding it, it's showing up as season 5 of the 2008 show.

gently caress off, whoever decided this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

I suspect similar things have been around for a while and the only new adaptation is making it work in those pigloos.

Cat Hatter posted:

gently caress off, whoever decided this.

There's a special circle of hell reserved for the monsters who run TVDB. Problem is, they can't agree on which circle it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I suspect similar things have been around for a while and the only new adaptation is making it work in those pigloos.

There's a special circle of hell reserved for the monsters who run TVDB. Problem is, they can't agree on which circle it is.

This is stupid and off topic but I remember skimming through a thread about how one dude was putting their foot down and not allowing an entry for the US version Sailor Moon because it's just a translation, even though there was a compelling argument from a bunch of posters that the show was so thoroughly re-edited that it was more akin to something like Power Rangers. People had already done all the work, but there was a classification argument to be had and rules to be strictly applied!