Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Furious Lobster posted:

Swickles and I are having some fresh heady topper in DC. Don't know if you guys realize this, but he is kind of a big deal.

Nice, what's CK charging for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

air- posted:

Nice, what's CK charging for it?

9 per.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

air- posted:

That's a fair price. I've seen it run for 17/18 but never actually got the opportunity to buy at the lower price.

The one bottle I managed to snag out here in CO was $14 or 15. It was really good and I'd probably be willing to pay around $20 for it, but honestly I don't like paying more than 15 for a bomber. But that's just me, I also grouse about a draft pour of anything costing more than $6-7.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 18, 2013

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

What! I could get a growler fill of Hop Venom for that! What is it in VT?

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 18, 2013

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

SUPER HASSLER posted:

What! I could get a growler fill of Hop Venom for that! What is it in VT?

Three dollars for a sixteen ounce can from the brewery.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Hutzpah posted:

Three dollars for a sixteen ounce can from the brewery.

yeah, but with no distribution, someone in DC is likely paying well over $3, so they've gotta mark it up. honestly, for DC, that's not a bad price- a nitro can of Guinness is $9 at the 930 Club (the only reason i got it was because my friend is buddies with the owner and got me in free to a $30 show).

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I'll admit I have an unhealthy fascination with this stuff. I think what I love most is all the various rumors that fly around. From things about bottle count to our canning line being down for weeks at a time...Love it!

They like to say bottle counts are lower than they actually are to try and inflate trade values. There's a reason people were SAYING ONLY TWELVE CASES when there's plenty Brandy Hunahpu's waiting to be released. :v:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Eejit posted:

But that's just me, I also grouse about a draft pour of anything costing more than $6-7.

We are really spoiled on beer prices in CO. I can get good craft drafts for as little as $2 at the right bars. Whenever I go back to my family in Boston I get my bar tab and feel like I spent the night going :homebrew:

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

danbanana posted:

I like it more than most- if not all- RR sours. So yes.

air- posted:

That's a fair price. I've seen it run for 17/18 but never actually got the opportunity to buy at the lower price.

Thanks guys, I'll try to get back over there and pick up another couple of bottles this weekend, then. Also need to load up on Bruery Hottenroth while they have it, but that's much less pressing.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I wish I were in DC this weekend to try Topper.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i'm glad i don't give a rat's rear end about IPAs- chasing everything else down is bad enough without having to worry about freshness, too.

RVA (and NoVA?) goons, Hardywood Park is starting this off on the 31st: "Kick off Barrel Weekend on Friday evening at Bourbon Stout Day. We aged our tenured Russian Imperial Stout in 7 different barrels, each from a different distillery - come try each variant individually or in a flight." the brewer who told me about it a few months back was pretty stoked on it (think it was his idea), and it will be educational at the very least to try them side-by-side. they're also releasing Bourbon DIPA, but obviously i don't care about that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I'll admit I have an unhealthy fascination with this stuff. I think what I love most is all the various rumors that fly around. From things about bottle count to our canning line being down for weeks at a time...Love it!

Even though I'd love to get a bottle through a trade, it would be amazing if you guys trolled all of BA by not putting any BA Hunahpu on the shelves again for weeks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Most of the posts on BA that I've seen are just ham-fisted attempts to manipulate the trade market in some manner.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I'm up in Asheville for the weekend and just wanted to inform everyone that they need to go to Wicked Weed if they come here. It's a brewpub that just opened this year and they are fantastic. It's a beautiful place, they have a solid range of beers and the food was great. I had a sour cherry ale, an imperial coffee brown and a lower alcohol ginger blonde and all three were amazing. Also had a fried chicken sandwich with kimchi and misi mayo that was killer. 100% worth a stop.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Josh Wow posted:

I'm up in Asheville for the weekend and just wanted to inform everyone that they need to go to Wicked Weed if they come here. It's a brewpub that just opened this year and they are fantastic. It's a beautiful place, they have a solid range of beers and the food was great. I had a sour cherry ale, an imperial coffee brown and a lower alcohol ginger blonde and all three were amazing. Also had a fried chicken sandwich with kimchi and misi mayo that was killer. 100% worth a stop.

drat, I was in Asheville visiting my little brother last weekend and we could have gone there.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We had a hell of a night last night. :stare:

L to R: Growler of BCBS, 2011 Black Ops, Triumph Herman's Monster (whiskey barrel aged strong ale), Firestone Walker XVI, BA Old Rasputin XV, Allagash Curieux, Allagash Odyssey, Espresso Oak Aged Yeti, and a growler of Bourbonov from somewhere I don't even remember.

Standouts were the BCBS obviously and the FSW, but the Herman's Monster was a surprise hit by pulling off the whiskey character without the burn. The Old Rasputin was frankly boring and we almost couldn't get through the Yeti - I'm rapidly starting to think I just need to avoid those, as they never end up being that good with my palate.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Josh Wow posted:

That's my friend's brewery. They seem to be doing really well. I really want to get down there and check it out.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Shugojin posted:

Thanks for your help guys. The worst of the night ended up being Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass and Sam Adams Latitude 48 if anyone is curious.

Was it the new version of Latitude 48 with Mosaic hops? I thought the new version was pretty good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I was at Societe yesterday and I can't figure out why all of their barrels are bunged with dixie cups. Maybe they're empty?

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

The Goose Island block party was a total poo poo show. Beyond the 45 minute line to get in, the fact that they put all the Goose Island beers (ie 95% of the reason anyone came) in one line, and that the event was obviously oversold, what blew my mind the most is that the food trucks ran out of water after ~45 minutes because "they didn't think so many people would want water". I used 6 of the 25 stamps in two hours and that was only going to the non Goose brewers....what a waste of time and money.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

From the last few pages, it seems like there are a bunch of Asheville goons in the thread. Hows the craft scene there? Lots of good spots? Totally oversaturated? My wife and I are mulling a move therabouts, and I want to know what im getting myself into beerwise (leaving Chicago). Does NC get good distro from west coast and midwest breweries?

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down

confonnit posted:

The Goose Island block party was a total poo poo show. Beyond the 45 minute line to get in, the fact that they put all the Goose Island beers (ie 95% of the reason anyone came) in one line, and that the event was obviously oversold, what blew my mind the most is that the food trucks ran out of water after ~45 minutes because "they didn't think so many people would want water". I used 6 of the 25 stamps in two hours and that was only going to the non Goose brewers....what a waste of time and money.

Thank you for making me less disappointed that I am stuck at work all afternoon rather than there!

I made it out to the Half Acre event at Bigby's last night; Galactic Double Daisy Cutter is just as amazing as last year, definitely get it if you find it anywhere. A lot of Half Acre is hit or miss with me, but they definitely do the fresh IPA thing well.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

confonnit posted:

They wayyyy oversold. We got in almost at noon, and there was just a clusterfuck of people around the Goose area. We skipped it, got a few things (sours from Destihl, etc.). By a little after 1 it was impossible to get anything without waiting in line. Really disappointed, so we left at about 130. Used 6 punches, but got enough stuff to feel like it was worth it.

Also, the self tour in the wine barrel room was really nice.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Yeah, the GI event was truly abysmal. Those Destihl sours were really drat good (apricot isn't Fou Foune but it's close) but the completely ludicrous waits for 4oz pours (some of which tapped out in less than an hour like Off Color and 18th Street) will basically ensure that I will very seriously reconsider ever going to one of their block party style events ever again. If they cut the number of tickets sold to 1000 rather than the estimated 3000 and split up the GI taps it could have been a fun event.

Dark Lord Day was so much more fun; it's not even a contest.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

I hesitated even posting anything cause I didn't want it to come off like I was just bitching about not being able to try a bunch of BCBS but the whole thing was a joke. After waiting in line forever to get in and realizing that anyone could just walk up and buy a ticket and skip the entire line I realized the event was not very well run. I did get to drink a few good beers and hang out with some friends so ultimately I guess that's the point.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

I agree with the above regarding the block party. Total cluster gently caress. The line to get in was about a quarter of a mile long. It was in a narrow area so lines went from one side to the other making it impossible to tell where the lines began. The majority of the Goose Island stuff involved about 40 minutes in line. Several of the guest taps were gone after an hour. Way too many people in a tight space. King Henry was awesome though.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Nthing the GI 25th bullshit. My GF and I or there a little after 1 and, though there was no line to get in, we're shocked by the ridiculous lines. I kinda figured it'd be busy based on tickets sold but gently caress! No line less then 30 min long. What a stupid loving event. Way too little beer to go around and a laughable number of tap lines. Good thing we got in line for the GI BCS poo poo almost as soon as we got there because we got our beers from there about 15 min shy of last call. Between the 25th shitshow and the Bottom Lounge price gouging the poo poo out of me (20 bucks for an 8oz Doom pour on top of 10 dollar ticket to get in??) I am done with ccbw events. Very disappointing.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

Nthing the GI 25th bullshit. My GF and I or there a little after 1 and, though there was no line to get in, we're shocked by the ridiculous lines. I kinda figured it'd be busy based on tickets sold but gently caress! No line less then 30 min long. What a stupid loving event. Way too little beer to go around and a laughable number of tap lines. Good thing we got in line for the GI BCS poo poo almost as soon as we got there because we got our beers from there about 15 min shy of last call. Between the 25th shitshow and the Bottom Lounge price gouging the poo poo out of me (20 bucks for an 8oz Doom pour on top of 10 dollar ticket to get in??) I am done with ccbw events. Very disappointing.

They're not all bad. Local Option's event on Friday, like nearly all of their events, was amazing.

But yeah, after hearing about the poo poo that Bottom Lounge pulled with their tap prices (the 3 Floyds tap takeover last month featured, according to my neighbour, $15 pours of Zombie Dust!), I will actively refuse to attend shows there or support them in any way. Shame, because they sometimes get decent acts in.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

crazyfish posted:

They're not all bad. Local Option's event on Friday, like nearly all of their events, was amazing.

But yeah, after hearing about the poo poo that Bottom Lounge pulled with their tap prices (the 3 Floyds tap takeover last month featured, according to my neighbour, $15 pours of Zombie Dust!), I will actively refuse to attend shows there or support them in any way. Shame, because they sometimes get decent acts in.

Wow. Yeah I was pretty taken aback when I got my tab. I'm certainly not going back there ever again and am going to leave real lovely reviews online. Those kinds of prices on top of the ticket to get in was just insane.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
All this talk of lovely Chicago beer fests is making me nervous. My girlfriend really wants to go to this LivingSocial thing, but money is tight and I'm worried it's gonna blow. Anyone have any thoughts/predictions on if/how hard it will suck?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

camoseven posted:

All this talk of lovely Chicago beer fests is making me nervous. My girlfriend really wants to go to this LivingSocial thing, but money is tight and I'm worried it's gonna blow. Anyone have any thoughts/predictions on if/how hard it will suck?

Well I already bought my tickets for it so lets hope I didn't make the same mistake a third time! (It really says something when Darklord Day is the best managed and least gouged event you've been at this season!) It looks like it will be a fun event, just so long as you don't go expecting to find really rare stuff. I assume it will be mostly standard offerings at least.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

Well I already bought my tickets for it so lets hope I didn't make the same mistake a third time! (It really says something when Darklord Day is the best managed and least gouged event you've been at this season!) It looks like it will be a fun event, just so long as you don't go expecting to find really rare stuff. I assume it will be mostly standard offerings at least.

I assumed that as well, and elected not to buy a ticket because of it. Maybe the crowd that does go will be pleasantly surprised.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yea, I'm not expecting to find anything super rare. We would be going with friends, so it's mostly the experience I'm worried about. Stupid long lines would really suck. I've only ever been to Upland fests (Radfest and Sourfest), and a "long wait" at those was still less than 5 minutes. I hope I haven't just been super spoiled :ohdear:

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Josh Wow posted:

One of my coworkers is actually moving to Asheville, and he just told me about Wicked Weed, to which I replied that I had never heard of it. He was asking me if I had heard anything about their beers, because he's moving to Asheville to get a job at a brewpub/brewery. I'll let him know that I've heard positive things about it!

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009
Just a heads up to anybody in the KC area - the Cork and Barrel at 23rd St. in Lawrence still had over a dozen Love Child #3s when I went in yesterday. The Coffee Ale also lasted a while there, so that might just be the place to go when special Boulevard releases run out in KC.

Obviously let me know if I'm off base and it's still easy to find in Kansas City, I just haven't seen it since the first week or so that it came out.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Living in Austin after living in middle-of-loving-nowhere Missouri for 5 years is cool.

KBS and Parabola without much effort within about a month of each other? Hell yeah.

Also: Paying $4 for pours of Parabola ftw.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I showed up about 11:45 and still had to wait in line. Probably got in at about 12:05-12:10. I got in line for BCS and while we were in line, they were literally erecting barriers around us. I did get to try the Rare, Napa and Cherry and I only had to wait about 10 minutes (only because my brother knows half the drat people who work at GI). The Destihls were pretty good (except the apricot, way too much vinegar for me). The Flander's Red was also really good. I think the worst part though for me was waiting in line for half acre for 25 minutes and then being told that they were tapped out. But really, that pretty much sums up the event as a whole. GI 25th Anniversary Line Fest.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 20, 2013

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Destihl pretty much made the GABF for me. Didn't even have a line most of the Friday but still ran out between that and the members session apparently.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I think Destihl's labels belong right up there in the awesome label discussion. Those are really great.

More info here- http://www.destihlbrewery.com/Our_Beer.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cease and desist incoming?