Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

CaptainRightful posted:

First sentence applies to me, too. Second one doesn't. I think your level of service/notification comes down to how much the person who is manually processing your order knows about how to use their system. My order history shows 1 tracking number back in 2016, everything else is still listed as Not Yet Shipped.

The rest of my orders all say Not Yet Shipped, too, this is the only one that has ever had a tracking number.

The Fire in the Lake reprint that I was billed for in September also still says Not Yet Shipped, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of it yet either. Who knows what is happening there. :iiam:

Tyrel Lohr fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Tyrel Lohr posted:

The rest of my orders all say Not Yet Shipped, too, this is the only one that has ever had a tracking number.

The Fire in the Lake reprint that I was billed for in September also still says Not Yet Shipped, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of it yet either. Who knows what is happening there. :iiam:

They started shipping FitL on 10/11 so it'll likely show up soon, regardless of whether the status changes.

I found out mine was coming because of USPS Informed Delivery, so that might be an option for you.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Most rinky dink websites have good ordering / tracking because they bought a prefab system that works and just plugged their stuff into it. GMT won't do that because doing something like that is not grog mentality.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
New game about shipping board game inventory

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Phi230 posted:

New game about shipping board game inventory

That’s container, op

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

That’s container, op

Given what I've heard about how bad some people are at Container, GMT's shipping problems make a lot more sense.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It took until about 1pm today for me to get an email about the games I bought in the sale yesterday at 6pm. Only some of the games I ordered show up in my order history, but the email has it all. And my order history also says not yet shipped for every game I've ever ordered, so it doesn't really mean anything. Some have tracking numbers and some don't.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I ordered an Oregon Lamination 2.5mm corner rounder and just got it in, except the box and the device aren't labeled Oregon Laminations anywhere. Is this a cheap knockoff or what?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 20, 2018

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I ordered an Oregon Lamination 2.5mm corner rounder and just got it in, except the box and the device aren't labeled Oregon Laminations anywhere. Is this a cheap knockoff or what?

Does the box look anything like this?

I can't imagine knock-off corner rounders being a good market but mine isn't labeled and I don't think the box was.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

admanb posted:

Does the box look anything like this?

I can't imagine knock-off corner rounders being a good market but mine isn't labeled and I don't think the box was.

Yeah it's identical to that. Guess it's legit!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

StashAugustine posted:

trying to decide if i want to get ADP or FITL

ADP is way better and I probably like FITL more than most people in this thread

Only reason to get FITL is if you really care about Vietnam specifically or you want more of a direct 2 vs 2 wargame style COIN

I think FITL is one of the best solo COINs for what its worth

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
A World at War, or Totaler Krieg: Axis Empires plus Dai Senso?

Is there a playable, good full scale (i.e. both theaters, entire war) WWII grognard game out there? I'm not talking about something like Churchill.

Discuss.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 20, 2018

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Also, since I'm here, what's the consensus on The U.S. Civil War (not the general topic, the game by GMT/Simonitch)?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

SlyFrog posted:

Also, since I'm here, what's the consensus on The U.S. Civil War (not the general topic, the game by GMT/Simonitch)?

It was about slavery.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

Pros: Beautiful, huge map. Clear, simple combat, command, movement, and supply systems. The turn order and variable number of actions each season are handled in a clever way. It plays pretty quickly for a grand strategy game.

Cons: No politics. The Confederacy "wins" if the US fails to take control of territory at a certain rate. The basic game has a highly abstracted naval system, but the advanced game has a ridiculously complicated naval system that requires more rules consulting than the entire rest of the game.

Pro or con? Simonitch has continually tinkered with the living rules for balance, but also because he seems obsessed with the naval combat system.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think the required VP per turn for the Union is an abstraction of union politics

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Are any of the GMT air combat solo games worth buying if I already have DVG Apache thunderbolt?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Phi230 posted:

I think the required VP per turn for the Union is an abstraction of union politics

Right, as is the early requirement to push toward Richmond and the predetermined historical cycling of officers (with no explanation). But some people, myself included, expect the politics in a USCW game to be far less abstract than that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MikeCrotch posted:

ADP is way better and I probably like FITL more than most people in this thread

Only reason to get FITL is if you really care about Vietnam specifically or you want more of a direct 2 vs 2 wargame style COIN

I think FITL is one of the best solo COINs for what its worth

I kinda like vietnam and it might be easier to get people on board but probably leaning ADP at this point. Also I played a bunch of FITL solo on vassal as NVA and it kinda sucked solo but i think it might just be that particular faction?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

I kinda like vietnam and it might be easier to get people on board but probably leaning ADP at this point. Also I played a bunch of FITL solo on vassal as NVA and it kinda sucked solo but i think it might just be that particular faction?

NVA are certainly less interesting to solo than the other factions, but all of the bots have been updated in the new edition and so have some of the event cards. I have ADP arriving soon, but so far FITL is probably my favorite COIN, with Falling Sky a close second.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm still a sucker for Cuba Libre, despite its inherent brokenness.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lord Frisk posted:

I'm still a sucker for Cuba Libre, despite its inherent brokenness.

hasta la victoria

i knew they'd updated the ADP bots, did they do FITL too?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, it just hasn't hit ppls hands yet. That's the one I'm most excited about. New cards, new rules.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Re - Cuba Libre: there's a variant from C3i that can change the government from a timed expected loss to one of four variants, all that change the play style. The one that changes the cost of Ops I feel would be a good change for all games.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Lord Frisk posted:

Yeah, it just hasn't hit ppls hands yet. That's the one I'm most excited about. New cards, new rules.

It looks like they haven't updated the living rules or playbook with the new stuff yet. Or at least if they have I didn't notice any changes when I flipped through the two on GMT's site.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't know how the P500 thing works (other than that they'll charge me and ship it eventually when enough people order it?) but I put in an order for Empire of the Sun so I can get my Pacific War on.

edit: Speaking of which, is there any word on the next edition of Mongoose's Victory at Sea that was supposed to be put out this year?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BattleMaster posted:

I don't know how the P500 thing works (other than that they'll charge me and ship it eventually when enough people order it?) but I put in an order for Empire of the Sun so I can get my Pacific War on.

edit: Speaking of which, is there any word on the next edition of Mongoose's Victory at Sea that was supposed to be put out this year?

Basically P500 means that you'll forget that you ordered it and your credit card will get charged at some inconvenient time 15 months from now and then suddenly you'll have a game show up.

I've had some games on P500 for over two years now.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I was all set to get Dominant Species from the GMT sale but some friends just gained a copy so I kept a little discipline. So now my order is two $10 experiments (Urban Sprawl / Leaping Lemmings - the latter is surprisingly popular at the WBC convention), the Cuba Libre update, Talon for a friend, and some counter trays.

Incidentally we played 4-player Dominant Species today. Such a good game! Using Dominance cards to cause ties in the massive Tundra contests was great. People quickly got the hang of "if I don't stab, somebody else will stab me" so glaciation/domination were always picked, causing the game state to progress. Probably not enough Migration, so I was able to get a lot of scoring in the last turns.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yeah it really owns that GMT works counter to all other pre-order programs in that they charge you at shipping.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CommonShore posted:

Basically P500 means that you'll forget that you ordered it and your credit card will get charged at some inconvenient time 15 months from now and then suddenly you'll have a game show up.

I've had some games on P500 for over two years now.

Empire of the Sun is in the "Made the Cut" category so hopefully that means I won't be waiting literal years for it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Impermanent posted:

yeah it really owns that GMT works counter to all other pre-order programs in that they charge you at shipping.

Remember to check all your P500s if your credit card gets stolen or expires or whatever, because somehow your card number is not associated with your account, but with the order at the time you placed it? And if they run a card that gets rejected, they will never make a second attempt or even notify you.

I don't think they even have real order processing software, someone sold them a facade. All the forms just generate a plain text email that gets sent to someone who manually enters the data into a big Excel spreadsheet. It may have a formula that adjusts stock, but that's probably calculated by hand, too.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Trip report from Space Empires: Bookkeeping is actually a good part of the game.

There seems to be scenarios with extremely skewed placements of deep space planets. In our example, 2 of our players have 2 deep space planets next to their own planets. Furthermore, one of the players planets is almost completely surrounded by anomalies, except towards himself. Any idea on how to mitigate this? Should we weed out the deep space markers?

Note, we are only playing with the basic rules.

Also We seem to be gravitating towards playing 2v2 on the diagonal to avoid kingmaking. Anyone who have tried this?

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 21, 2018

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

SlyFrog posted:

I have played it twice but we didn't get very far into the grand campaign. I really enjoyed what I played. I'm not a USCW buff so I can't vouch for historical accuracy but there were a lot of interesting decisions to be made and strategies to take and nothing seemed super ridiculous.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BattleMaster posted:

Empire of the Sun is in the "Made the Cut" category so hopefully that means I won't be waiting literal years for it.

Lol i have two games which have been in that category for two years (Imperial Struggle & Musket/Pike Dual Pack)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its gonna be funny when my CC expires in a few years and I have to update all that stuff

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CommonShore posted:

Lol i have two games which have been in that category for two years (Imperial Struggle & Musket/Pike Dual Pack)

Lol, RIP.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Trip report from Space Empires: Bookkeeping is actually a good part of the game.

There seems to be scenarios with extremely skewed placements of deep space planets. In our example, 2 of our players have 2 deep space planets next to their own planets. Furthermore, one of the players planets is almost completely surrounded by anomalies, except towards himself. Any idea on how to mitigate this? Should we weed out the deep space markers?

Note, we are only playing with the basic rules.

Also We seem to be gravitating towards playing 2v2 on the diagonal to avoid kingmaking. Anyone who have tried this?

Deep space planet distribution is a bigger deal with basic rules, as you won't have the aliens on them. But it does take a surprisingly long time for your economic investments like colony ships to really produce, so the other side might be able to rush some. In a 4p game there isn't that much deep space (2 rows) and it's not really secured from adjacent opponents (at most 1 row away), so mostly it should be fine.

2v2 diagonal indeed seems to be the better 4p, or you can play attack left. The advantage of other 2v2s is you can more easily help your teammate with the sheet and other hidden information, if they're inexperienced. I've almost only played 1p and 2p, 4p we did teams along the long edges for that reason.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

rchandra posted:

I was all set to get Dominant Species from the GMT sale but some friends just gained a copy so I kept a little discipline. So now my order is two $10 experiments (Urban Sprawl / Leaping Lemmings - the latter is surprisingly popular at the WBC convention), the Cuba Libre update, Talon for a friend, and some counter trays.

Incidentally we played 4-player Dominant Species today. Such a good game! Using Dominance cards to cause ties in the massive Tundra contests was great. People quickly got the hang of "if I don't stab, somebody else will stab me" so glaciation/domination were always picked, causing the game state to progress. Probably not enough Migration, so I was able to get a lot of scoring in the last turns.

Played a 6-player Dominant Species yesterday, where I was one of 5 newbies. Several of them weren't familiar with worker placement so the first turn took quite a while. As the Arachnids, I hung out in a few spaces and tried to get my points through glaciation and presence in other animals' hexes. Not super effective -- I came in third.

I think I like it, but I can't quite tell yet. I like that you have to choose between high-risk bonus points and more reliable points from domination, and it's certainly nasty and brutal compared to your average euro. Probably a lot of depth in thinking about long-term strategies too.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I started clipping Great Battles of Alexander with my regular Oregon Laminations 2mm rounder while watching Gangs of New York last night and once I got into a flow it was fast and easy without a single mistake. Once all the oil cleaned off I could usually slot in a counter just by dropping it and let gravity doing the work.

I did end up shaving off a chunk of skin from my pinky finger so I'll need to plan around that. Also Gangs of New York was a weird-rear end movie. I'm pretty sure it would've been panned if it weren't for Scorsese's direction and DDL's performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

admanb posted:

I started clipping Great Battles of Alexander with my regular Oregon Laminations 2mm rounder while watching Gangs of New York last night and once I got into a flow it was fast and easy without a single mistake. Once all the oil cleaned off I could usually slot in a counter just by dropping it and let gravity doing the work.

I did end up shaving off a chunk of skin from my pinky finger so I'll need to plan around that. Also Gangs of New York was a weird-rear end movie. I'm pretty sure it would've been panned if it weren't for Scorsese's direction and DDL's performance.

Agreed about Gangs of New York being silly junk, but DDL's performance is one of the worst things about it! Of course, his Master Thespian shtick got him an Oscar for There Will Be Blood, so I guess my opinion is in the minority.

Back on topic--I use a 1.5mm clipper, because I prefer a cleaned up look to a truly rounded one. Again, I'm probably in the minority.