Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

To the world a Yankee is someone from the US. In the US it's someone from the north. In the north a Yankee is someone from New England. In New England it's someone from Vermont. In Vermont a Yankee is someone who eats pie for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

taters posted:

a Yankee is someone who eats pie for breakfast.

Oh God, it's me. I'm the Yankee.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sock it to me! posted:

Oh God, it's me. I'm the Yankee.

:toughguy:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Do pop tarts count as a breakfast pie?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Brawnfire posted:

Do pop tarts count as a breakfast pie?

they dont count at all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Phy posted:

Also I expect the 13 laeggers of freshwater are indeed barrels or drums for storing drinking water. I know "lager" in German means storage and it's likely cognate here, and in any case, when your ship is at the mercies of wind and sun, always best to top up the things you need to keep a crew alive.

I was thinking about this again. The original uses "antucken" for "take on" which is decidedly not Danish (that'd be like "tage ombord"), but rather some kind of Low German (which was very common in Danish cities, crafts, trade, etc), so yeah it's likely some kind of unit.

I don't see anything that fits in Wikipedia's Dutch units, afaict they're all comparable to Danish/English. A barrel would be vat/ton/fust, so that ain't it :/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_units_of_measurement

That is if I'm even correct that it even means "take on board", maybe it's related to aantocht, which means approach? Which would fit with sailing a distance of 13 "legs" of fresh (maybe clear or brisk) water. Note it says "frisk" in the original, which lends itself to "brisk" rather than potable water which would be "ferskvand". Also we don't use plural -s as in "laeggers", but the genitive-s does come into play when saying like "at sea" = "til søs" (sø = sea)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sotades, a greek poet who lived in the 3rd century BC, was all things considered not a very important poet. He is famous for his poem about Ptolemy II Philadelphus's marriage to his own sister Arsinoe II, specifically one line where he wrote "you're sticking your prick in an unholy hole." The ptolemaic pharao's measured response was to lock Sodates in a leaden chest and then throw the chest into the sea..

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
"Sotades nuts!" - Pharaoh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Better the Arse u noe" - Ptolemaios II

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

canyoneer posted:

It's also fun that in many indigenous languages the group's autonym can usually be translated as "the people" and the word for any other people is literally "not us", or "the others" when it's not a specific disparaging term like "the bird eaters" or "mud people". My favorite is the Pawnee people's autonym, translated as "Men of Men."

World War I, but it's described in an alternate universe as an alliance of the Frogs, Island Monkeys, and Tschuches against the Boches, Canyon Shitters, and Saracens.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Woolie Wool posted:

Canyon Shitters

Not gonna lie this is a new one

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alhazred posted:

Sotades, a greek poet who lived in the 3rd century BC, was all things considered not a very important poet. He is famous for his poem about Ptolemy II Philadelphus's marriage to his own sister Arsinoe II, specifically one line where he wrote "you're sticking your prick in an unholy hole." The ptolemaic pharao's measured response was to lock Sodates in a leaden chest and then throw the chest into the sea..

If anything she should have been named philadelphus

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Milo and POTUS posted:

the pharao of brotherly love

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Deteriorata posted:

You can go ahead and call Americans Yankees. No one actually cares.

Yankee or yankee doodle is fine, but don't you dare call me a dandy!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you can call me yank or yankee or doodle or dood but ya doesn't has to call me dandy

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

you can call me yank or yankee or doodle or dood but ya doesn't has to call me dandy

I'm calling you an ambulance, you're having a stroke

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Oh, go back to the Simpsons meme megathread Cedri-

Oh. Nevermind.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alhazred posted:

To be fair they were trying to closely align themselves with the Egyptian gods so some kind pointing out how gross it is undermines that a lot

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

What I'm getting from the Wikipedia article about the dude is that Philadelphus here is used in a gender-neutral sense, "sibling-lover", so he was named that for exactly the reason you're thinking

Mans whole life is a "McDonald the Bridge Builder" joke

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

What I'm getting from the Wikipedia article about the dude is that Philadelphus here is used in a gender-neutral sense, "sibling-lover", so he was named that for exactly the reason you're thinking

Mans whole life is a "McDonald the Bridge Builder" joke

Better than be named Philopator. The past was a horrifying country.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought philos means familial love not romantic love?

Ironic bc Ptolemy II hosed one sister and killed several brothers. Maybe it was one of them joke names

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ironic bc Ptolemy II hosed one sister and killed several brothers. Maybe it was one of them joke names

Maybe he was an Eagles fan?

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Maybe he was an Eagles fan?

Checks out, Eagles fans are known for murdering their brothers and loving their sisters.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh that love was familial alright

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Not gonna lie this is a new one

not sure if it counts since it'a a German slur for Austrians (Schluchtenscheißer) and thus from the same side of the war but slurs for Austrians are hard to find. Basically the idea behind the slur is supposedly that Austrians live up in the mountains and poo poo down the mountainsides into the valleys.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Woolie Wool posted:

not sure if it counts since it'a a German slur for Austrians (Schluchtenscheißer) and thus from the same side of the war but slurs for Austrians are hard to find. Basically the idea behind the slur is supposedly that Austrians live up in the mountains and poo poo down the mountainsides into the valleys.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Philia means love between friends, quite specifically non-sexual. ero- or -erastes meant the horny kind.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
:aatrek:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Damnatio Memoriae was a punishment back in the day whereby the criminal in question did a crime so henious, that all record of them was to be destroyed from all records, up to and including their name, so that no-one would ever know they existed. An example of this is Herostratus, who was subjected to this punishment after having been found guilty of burning down the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Clearly they did a lovely job

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Damnatio Memoriae, so successful it gave us the term “Herostratic fame”

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Samovar posted:

Damnatio Memoriae was a punishment back in the day whereby the criminal in question did a crime so henious, that all record of them was to be destroyed from all records, up to and including their name, so that no-one would ever know they existed. An example of this is Herostratus, who was subjected to this punishment after having been found guilty of burning down the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus.

He also outright said that he burned down one of the Wonders of the World just because it would make his name immortal.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Byzantine posted:

He also outright said that he burned down one of the Wonders of the World just because it would make his name immortal.

King poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean he was correct so get owned nerds

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My Mediterranean history professor had no clue who Herostratus was and at first I thought he was just doing a bit.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Alhazred posted:

Really goes to show how far civilization has gone : these days you can just pay a guy instead of having to anger a god king.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Kassad posted:

Really goes to show how far civilization has gone : these days you can just pay a guy instead of having to anger a god king.

:golfclap:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm on a pirate kick atm, and it's incredible to me how close to real some of the legends are. I mean it is mostly bullshit with a grain of truth, but that's good enough

Like Jean-David Nau, more well-known as François L'Olonnais was almost certainly not eaten by cannibals, but he really did hide in the blood of his dead compatriots in Campeche and really did send this message to the governor of Havana afterwards:

quote:

I shall never henceforward give quarter to any Spaniard whatsoever, and I have great hopes I shall execute on your own person the very same punishment I have done upon them you sent against me. Thus I have retaliated the kindness you designed to me and my companions.

before proceeding to do just that, racking up a rep for being seriously the sickest most depraved pirate of all, up until he was either eaten by cannibals in Panama or killed during privateering the spanish main, depending which story you prefer

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm on a pirate kick atm, and it's incredible to me how close to real some of the legends are. I mean it is mostly bullshit with a grain of truth, but that's good enough

Like Jean-David Nau, more well-known as François L'Olonnais was almost certainly not eaten by cannibals, but he really did hide in the blood of his dead compatriots in Campeche and really did send this message to the governor of Havana afterwards:

before proceeding to do just that, racking up a rep for being seriously the sickest most depraved pirate of all, up until he was either eaten by cannibals in Panama or killed during privateering the spanish main, depending which story you prefer

And yet he was not as brutal as Edward Low who would burn people alive, flay them and force them to eat their own body parts. In fact Low was so brutal and sadistic that his crew became so fed up that they mutinied and forced him to leave his ship in a boat without provisions. No one really knows what happened to Low after that. According to some sources he was picked up by a french ship, tried on Martinique and hanged. Other says that he was never caught and ended his days in Brazil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always liked Bartholomew Roberts' ABH AMH flag

He was a phenomenally successful pirate, but got so pissed off at the people of Barbados and Martinique for sending ships out to get him that he started flying a flag where he was standing on two skulls labelled "ABH" and "AMH", for "A Barbadian's Head" and "A Martinician's Head"