Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Endorph posted:

this thread is filled with exaggerated insults towards developers/franchises/countries/chrono trigger

CHRONO TRIGGER INSULTS?????? WHERE?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chrono Trigger is dumb

There

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Baal posted:

Chrono Trigger is dumb

There

Mods?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Where did I say you weren't allowed to have an opinion or post it? You can say whatever you want but I'm going to criticize when I disagree with you or think you're overstating things.
in that case can i criticize your av

it looks really jpg artifacty for some reason

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Captain Baal posted:

Chrono Trigger is dumb

There

You've done more damage to video game posting in video games than your average hate crime

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Endorph posted:

the thing i said, is an example of that

Exaggerations in this thread are usually humorous or used to speak to a broader point or somehow related to video games on the Sony Playstation Vita / Sony Vita TV / Sony Playstation TV series of products

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Exaggerations in this thread are usually humorous or used to speak to a broader point or somehow related to video games on the Sony Playstation Vita / Sony Vita TV / Sony Playstation TV series of products
mine was the first two. every post i make is xtremely funny, insightful, and Good.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

chrono trigger is good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

mine was the first two. every post i make is xtremely funny, insightful, and Good.

No, those are my posts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, those are my posts
*in extremely tales of rebirth voice* your posts and my posts... aren't they the same?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Chrono Trigger is a good game whose qualities tend to be overstated and are sometimes worse than typical implementations, with its main virtue being that it crams all its content into a ~20 hour playtime.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

PULL UP, THREAD

PULL UP

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

I don't wanna pile on you but in hindsight this post of yours in the PS4 thread really is kinda funny.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

in that case can i criticize your av

it looks really jpg artifacty for some reason

I was not happy with the aliasing of the lines myself but I liked the overall feeling of the image and it reflected how I felt about that game when I finished it. Years of neglecting photoshop skills come home to roost, I guess.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Motto posted:

Chrono Trigger is a good game whose qualities tend to be overstated and are sometimes worse than typical implementations, with its main virtue being that it crams all its content into a ~20 hour playtime.

Chrono trigger being a tight 20 hour package is a loving marvel in the world JRPGs that almost always have a ton of useless padding

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Morpheus posted:

You've done more damage to video game posting in video games than your average hate crime

good, gently caress video games

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Andrast posted:

Chrono trigger being a tight 20 hour package is a loving marvel in the world JRPGs that almost always have a ton of useless padding

Yeah I mean that sincerely, compared to most other games it's amazing how snappily it bounces you across scenarios and setpieces, and it still manages to fit in a fakeout-climax and the dead Crono bit.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I purchased Chrono Trigger for the DS, and never played it. That is my Chrono Trigger story.

I haven't been paying attention, has anything good for the Vita come out since Shiren?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

gently caress those conveyor-belt fights in the robot factory though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Most of these things are true but that doesn't translate to "setting/plot/characters/mission design/dialogue/etc all is basically phoned in."

I suppose this is just a case of disagreeing. I think Andromeda had strong ideas and at least some of its problem is execution and inexperience. However I do feel there are times it just genuinely feels like they weren't putting the effort I'd expect of even a failed product. It may be me misreading the company's inexperience but usually inexperienced companies tend to fail in different ways. It may be an inexperienced development team combined with EA's pressures rather than anything else but at the end of the day it still has a feeling of low-effort even if it's just a case of ambition being crippled by inexperience and EA's corporate culture.

I've said before I think the hatred for it is way overblown though and treating it like the worst game ever is silly. It's mostly just disappointing and moreso after a month of genuinely stellar games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

I don't wanna pile on you but in hindsight this post of yours in the PS4 thread really is kinda funny.
i agree, it is extremely funny in hindsight. lol.

bloodychill posted:

I was not happy with the aliasing of the lines myself but I liked the overall feeling of the image and it reflected how I felt about that game when I finished it. Years of neglecting photoshop skills come home to roost, I guess.
anyway if you want a Sincere Take then: i don't feel like i handle jp games with kid gloves when it comes to this kind of stuff. fire emblem fates' weak attempts at implementing homo kisses were extremely lol and as much as I adore shadow hearts, that series is a horrorshow when it comes to gay stuff. I just feel that a lot of JP games, as trope-y, flawed, and refusing to make it explicit-y they can be about this kind of stuff, represent the actual gay experience much better than really, really bland bioware stuff where sex is the end goal of the relationship, all of the characters involved are either incredibly boring or actively annoying, and where all of the actual human edges have been sanded off in an attempt to make things Not Problematic. like, olivier in trails in the sky hits on an 18 year old (I think Josh is 18 in sky 1?) and is a constant string of jokes about him being an idiot flirt, but on the other hand he's also a funny, likable character with an arc, an actual role in the plot, and whose status as a big Bi actually affects his characterization and how he views the world if you think about it for a bit, without turning into an afterschool special like dorian in DA: I. i feel like that kind of character is much more engaging and representative than sera shaving her pubes into a heart or that one random crew member in ME2 whose name I literally can't remember. Kelly? anyway, much more engaging and representative than that kind of thing.

I don't hate western games, there are plenty of western games that I do think do an okay job - mostly indy VNs or weird rpgmaker games, but still - but I get frustrated how a lot of western sites and critics (lol, game critics) parade insanely boring and sometimes outright bad stuff around as the pinnacle of achievement while attacking anything with the slightest bit of an edge or even a hint of rough to it. I think those edges and rough areas, those 'problematic' bits, are what makes characters and their relationships, even (especially?) gay ones, engaging, and a lot of western games writing lacks that when it comes to gay people.

here's some hot yaoiz:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I still can't believe Fire Emblem made the only lesbian in the world one of the kids/second generation characters. Didn't that strike anyone as a...Bad idea?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

I suppose this is just a case of disagreeing. I think Andromeda had strong ideas and at least some of its problem is execution and inexperience. However I do feel there are times it just genuinely feels like they weren't putting the effort I'd expect of even a failed product. It may be me misreading the company's inexperience but usually inexperienced companies tend to fail in different ways. It may be an inexperienced development team combined with EA's pressures rather than anything else but at the end of the day it still has a feeling of low-effort even if it's just a case of ambition being crippled by inexperience and EA's corporate culture.

I've said before I think the hatred for it is way overblown though and treating it like the worst game ever is silly. It's mostly just disappointing and moreso after a month of genuinely stellar games.

I agree with the rest of your assessment of the game, but I think low-effort is just the wrong term; I think a more appropriate term is amateur.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I agree with the rest of your assessment of the game, but I think low-effort is just the wrong term; I think a more appropriate term is amateur.

I can agree with this I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

I still can't believe Fire Emblem made the only lesbian in the world one of the kids/second generation characters. Didn't that strike anyone as a...Bad idea?
i still don't have any idea why they did that when felicia and jakob were literally right there.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I'm not sure what happened to the thread while I was out but Youtube has suggested to me something we can all agree on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKxio8HZiNA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CrashCat posted:

I'm not sure what happened to the thread while I was out but Youtube has suggested to me something we can all agree on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIGy8KANv4g

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mycot posted:

Considering how conservative Nintendo is with anything that's even vaguely related to sex and sexuality it could have certainly been a lot worse. Not that it's good though, I'd give them another couple of games before they git gud at integrating homo/bi sexual characters into their games.

A lot of western media has been trending towards more representation of LGBT characters in fiction but unfortunately it has mostly been in the form of minor and secondary characters going "I'm <LGBT>" and then it never factoring into the story again. It's nice that these things are allowed to be explicit but it's still not great.

I like it better than how JRPGs (that I've played) have handled it. IME Japanese media has a bad habit of making their token gay characters the butt of jokes that are either gay panic or stereotypes that were outdated in the 90s. I haven't played a new JRPG in a while though so maybe I'm wrong and it's getting better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think it's less about 'new' jrpgs and about 'which' jrpgs. cause there was a jrpg about a lesbian gladiator for the freaking super nintendo, and it owned. never came out in the west tho. there's definitely a trend of gay characters as comic relief in japanese stuff but the fact that gay stuff is mostly on the table when it comes to pop culture means there's a lot of cases of characters casually being implied/outright stated to be bi and it not being that big a deal, or a gay character being goofy but also kind of a good character in a way that makes them hard to brush off as just a gay panic joke or whatever. Not to mention, western stuff always seems so, iunno, stuffy? whenever gay characters start getting involved. like how in bioware games a character mentions they're gay and your responses all lead into five minute lectures about how being gay is actually not a bad thing at all.

jp stuff playing it for laughs sometimes isn't ideal but it also means that even their sincere stabs at it usually have a lot of energy and life that makes them appealing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
A lot of JRPG gay jokes IME tend to be really gross and bad to me. Too much "lol this gay guy might rape you, haha isn't this funny" poo poo.

Fallout New Vegas has probably the best gay characters in a WRPG IMHO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah that stuff is bad but to be fair the last jrpg i can remember really heavily leaning into that (and I play a lot of JRPGs) is shadow hearts, or like, persona 3/persona 4. there's still some flamboyant gay characters but they're usually just goofy and not 'lol he might rape you'

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I haven't played a new JRPG since the last SMT game came out. Everything I've played lately has been fairly old.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

play tales of berseria

not that there's any explicit homosexuality in it tho

i mean you can imagine eizen and rokurou loving if you want to, those dudes have some sexual tension

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

anyway if you want a Sincere Take then: i don't feel like i handle jp games with kid gloves when it comes to this kind of stuff. fire emblem fates' weak attempts at implementing homo kisses were extremely lol and as much as I adore shadow hearts, that series is a horrorshow when it comes to gay stuff. I just feel that a lot of JP games, as trope-y, flawed, and refusing to make it explicit-y they can be about this kind of stuff, represent the actual gay experience much better than really, really bland bioware stuff where sex is the end goal of the relationship, all of the characters involved are either incredibly boring or actively annoying, and where all of the actual human edges have been sanded off in an attempt to make things Not Problematic. like, olivier in trails in the sky hits on an 18 year old (I think Josh is 18 in sky 1?) and is a constant string of jokes about him being an idiot flirt, but on the other hand he's also a funny, likable character with an arc, an actual role in the plot, and whose status as a big Bi actually affects his characterization and how he views the world if you think about it for a bit, without turning into an afterschool special like dorian in DA: I. i feel like that kind of character is much more engaging and representative than sera shaving her pubes into a heart or that one random crew member in ME2 whose name I literally can't remember. Kelly? anyway, much more engaging and representative than that kind of thing.

I don't hate western games, there are plenty of western games that I do think do an okay job - mostly indy VNs or weird rpgmaker games, but still - but I get frustrated how a lot of western sites and critics (lol, game critics) parade insanely boring and sometimes outright bad stuff around as the pinnacle of achievement while attacking anything with the slightest bit of an edge or even a hint of rough to it. I think those edges and rough areas, those 'problematic' bits, are what makes characters and their relationships, even (especially?) gay ones, engaging, and a lot of western games writing lacks that when it comes to gay people.

here's some hot yaoiz:

You're right and I generally agree with the assessment that they sand the edges off in western media and I'd prefer they didn't but then, I also understand why they do. Bioware is hugely in the spot light. If the player can romance any character, the writers get criticized for treating all the characters as "playersexual" objectives and not doing a good job of representing sexuality, which is a totally fair criticism. If they don't, fans get upset that they can't romance the character they're most interested in, because of course their games have that dating sim aspect and a lot of people go for it. It's a position they got themselves into by making early mistakes and doing dating-sim at all, to be sure, but having gone down the path, they now are stuck in a position where giving LGBT characters rough edges could get them heavy flak and get opposition to the LGBT community to laud them or alienate younger LGBT players, which they also don't want.

Writing LGBT characters in a more varied way would definitely be a good first step though instead of having "that one character."

Olivier is totally awesome, yeah.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean you can imagine eizen and rokurou loving if you want to, those dudes have some sexual tension

one is the stag and the other the rhinoceros

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

angelica in cold steel is also good

and yeah, the solution to a lot of bioware's problems is variety. i guess there's only so many party members you can fit in when you're doing something with full voice acting and long dialogue trees, but i think 'a lesbian, a bi guy, and a bi girl' is really overplayed and bad at this point and is pretty much shooting themselves in the foot. I think their dating sim stuff needs an overhaul in general - by the time the two characters are a couple you're maybe halfway through the game, but their dialogue tree is completely exhausted usually, so you just never talk to them again. it feels less like a gay romance and more like a gay fling.

i think it's also kind of telling how much trepidation they have that they went from a trans sidecharacter in da:i to an incredibly minor trans character in andromeda, instead of taking the seemingly natural step of having a trans party member.

Phantasium posted:

one is the stag and the other the rhinoceros

lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'd rather Bioware just drop the dating sim stuff in the game, it's always terrible and there's never a "just friends" option so you can't talk to someone cool too often in case you accidentally gently caress them or they get mad at you for not loving them or w/e.

Endorph posted:

play tales of berseria

not that there's any explicit homosexuality in it tho

You could not pay me to beat a Tales game post-high school.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

CrashCat posted:

i can get behind this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but berseria has cannibalism, just like every other great jrpg (digital devil saga, shadow hearts, drakengard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I could understand maybe not wanting to play one to 100% or anything, but what's your beef with Tales games?