Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

xxEightxx posted:

Isn’t it the theory was the release was intentional to create more market competition because ea was releasing two games and thus able to capture more market than letting cod/bf duke it out?

I wish I had access to as much coke as these guys, if this is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

xxEightxx posted:

Isn’t it the theory was the release was intentional to create more market competition because ea was releasing two games and thus able to capture more market than letting cod/bf duke it out?

Yeah, that's the idea. You gotta remember that COD was hurting, with pre-release anticipation for IW being at an all-time low for the series, so EA putting TF2 out when it did was pure, market cynicism.

I still remember an interview with Respawn where they flat out said, "we don't know what the gently caress they were thinking."

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mordja posted:

I still remember an interview with Respawn where they flat out said, "we don't know what the gently caress they were thinking."

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
:saddowns:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

And to think this was before EA bought out Respawn. :rip:

:getin:
https://i.imgur.com/rtq7PdE.gifv

outta my way
https://i.imgur.com/JmOofIp.gifv

my ps4 thumb stick has been a lot more sensitive lately and I'm throwing random punches in the middle of a shootout. :downs:
https://i.imgur.com/SW24vGM.gifv

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Anyone still play this regularly on PC?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ptkfvk posted:

the single player is underrated. its so short but its amazing. the battle on the platform of the terraformer thing was fun too.

How’s it underrated? Could have definitely sold more but yeah far cry from that

Yo so we getting a 3rd or what? :pray:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Respawn are hiring for projects at the moment and mentioned in the ads are Star Wars and a Titanfall.

...but myself like most fans of this are concerned about just how hosed over by EA this game could end up. :/

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What’s the loot box damage control from battlefront been....anything?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
They missed their sales target by a huge margin and are now trying to find a way to reinstate microtransactions without being crucified for it. I would keep an eye on things, q1 2018 ends at the end of March, so my guess is they will want something in place to sell to investors and shareholders that they are working on increasing revenue.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok well you clearly have some sort of savvy for all this business so I’ll just follow your post/opinions on the matter

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Disney is also trying to pull the star wars license away from EA

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Was that before or after they greenlit the microtransactions

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Was that before or after they greenlit the microtransactions

After. Basically the ramifications of the fiasco of the launch

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry I’m just being dumb because it’s Disney and they absolutely had oversight and saw and approved all that poo poo

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sorry I’m just being dumb because it’s Disney and they absolutely had oversight and saw and approved all that poo poo

I'm pretty sure they don't have as much oversight as you think

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The idea that Disney makes money by being competent is 100% bullshit. They make money by owning your childhood and paying people to figure out the most profitable ways to sell it back to you. Their actual internals are petty office politics and low-grade people scrambling to cover for their boss's fuckups, same as every place else.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I absolutely believe Disney greenlit all that poo poo (not that it isn't already a part of EA culture), then threw EA under the bus when BF2 turned into a focal point for the videogame commodity graft debate.

EA may be lovely and incompetent, but Disney is an ideology-factory and is far worse overall.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

vyst posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't have as much oversight as you think

No, it came out shortly after the whole debacle started that BF2 was originally going to have (perhaps only, who can tell) cosmetic microtransactions, but Disney wouldn't let them. People even dug up hooks for visual-only DLC in the code.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The idea that Disney makes money by being competent is 100% bullshit. They make money by owning your childhood and paying people to figure out the most profitable ways to sell it back to you. Their actual internals are petty office politics and low-grade people scrambling to cover for their boss's fuckups, same as every place else.

The thing is Disney is competent most of the time, can't get as big as them without it, the thing is it makes their moments of incompetence stand out more(indeed I'd argue that's the case for most successful companies)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

vyst posted:

Disney is also trying to pull the star wars license away from EA

That's even funnier when you consider EA's current mandate for all their studios is they HAVE to produce a Star Wars game.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sorry I'm just being dumb because it's Disney and they absolutely had oversight and saw and approved all that poo poo

EA crossed the line and got too greedy. Disney can probably see the writing on the wall in large neon letters now that the gambling commissions and politicians have gotten wind of Loot Boxes being used to push gambling on children and they do not want that on their brand.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
The Star Wars brand is what they care about, that’s the cash cow. The movies are already in the black, Star Wars land will give us the theme park tie in, they probably didn’t think too much of the loot boxes, because who has, it wasn’t the loot boxes that got them in trouble, it was the cost and time to unlock all content that did: $2100/4500 hours. That poo poo is kookiedook.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

kinda funny it was largely because of a Reddit post

Yeah yeah the first or second most disliked comment in reddit history what is this gonna accomplish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwfRuL4os

Well then. Probably other factors but imma go with reddit post.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

xxEightxx posted:

The Star Wars brand is what they care about, that’s the cash cow. The movies are already in the black, Star Wars land will give us the theme park tie in, they probably didn’t think too much of the loot boxes, because who has, it wasn’t the loot boxes that got them in trouble, it was the cost and time to unlock all content that did: $2100/4500 hours. That poo poo is kookiedook.

While that is indeed hosed up, you have to remember lootboxes did provoke the threat of legislation. And few things can harsh a corporate buzz like a massive government smackdown.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not to be all :can: but I still fail to see what set Battlefront 2 apart from the other endless poo poo lootbox games out there. Mobile gaming and stuff like Counter strike auctions and Diablo RMAH are about 100 times nastier.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Not to be all :can: but I still fail to see what set Battlefront 2 apart from the other endless poo poo lootbox games out there. Mobile gaming and stuff like Counter strike auctions and Diablo RMAH are about 100 times nastier.

I think basically "Stra-Was" has a large audience of children. That's it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, as do mobile games. Fair to say the large audience there is kids and their parents who don’t care if Jimmy spends <$50 a week on the App Store. That said, it’s part Disney doing damage control on their image—bit of a scapegoat there with EA imo—and people other than nerds being pissed and sharing viral Facebook poo poo. Parents, etc.

Then you get the anti-gambling organizations and activists sights set on all that + kids and yep

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That stuff has been going for years but the stars aligned as people raged about a Star Wars game and made by EA, so all the complains that EA would ignore, reached Disney. Kids play p2w mobile games and parents don't care but hey, it's Mickey trying to get my kid into gambling :argh:

I don't care about battlefront but EA getting some backlash is good, more so after Battlefield 4 launch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah, as do mobile games. Fair to say the large audience there is kids and their parents who don’t care if Jimmy spends <$50 a week on the App Store. That said, it’s part Disney doing damage control on their image—bit of a scapegoat there with EA imo—and people other than nerds being pissed and sharing viral Facebook poo poo. Parents, etc.

Then you get the anti-gambling organizations and activists sights set on all that + kids and yep

EA got too greedy with their setup. Levelling anything apparently relies on loot box :rolldice: resources, and it's a real grind to unlock individual Heroes and gear. The whole thing is an unobfuscated slot machine.

For comparison, games like Overwatch managed to sneak by until now with the handwave of it all being cosmetic items. You don't need that sick Legendary Reinhardt skin and finishing pose to do well at the game but, if you want to take a spin, the lootbox is right there waiting to be opened....:unsmigghh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly don't care about stuff that is only cosmetic at this point. we live in a very different time from when the game world was freaking out about 99c horse armor. Just keep the game balanced and make it feel like a full package and idgaf (although it does sound like Battlefront did actually lock important stuff behind microtransactions)

battlefront seemed nasty but also not noteworthy. I guess it was just the SW attachment that killed it.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Well lets not pretend people need a big excuse to get mad at ea, they are known franchise killers. Anyone around here that hasn’t had a secret funeral for titanfall is probably lying. I’m still bitter about sim city online.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It was a combination of being way more egregious than usual, in a part of the industry that usually didn't see this kind of thing (of course it's been in mobile games and they'd been doing it in FIFA for a decade, but not so much in high profile AAA shooters), and then having visibility outside of the game industry itself because it's star wars. I think those factors combined to make it viral whereas it's already business as usual in mobile games, and any other controversy over lootboxes moving into spaces that didn't used to have them such as shadow of war would mostly be contained within the game industry.

Good watch on the subject

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PTLFNlu2N_M

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

I honestly don't care about stuff that is only cosmetic at this point. we live in a very different time from when the game world was freaking out about 99c horse armor. Just keep the game balanced and make it feel like a full package and idgaf (although it does sound like Battlefront did actually lock important stuff behind microtransactions)

battlefront seemed nasty but also not noteworthy. I guess it was just the SW attachment that killed it.

The root problem is that lootboxes have been proven to instill the same addiction cycle slot machines do; chasing the rush of the sirens, flashing lights and payout no matter the cost. Doesn't matter if the prize is cosmetic or gameplay-affecting, Little Timmy's gonna wind up with a monkey on his back.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

They bait and switched. Originally the plan was only cosmetic items in the loot boxes. Then they back tracked and said we'll have other items too. Then they back tracked that and made the natural progression so difficult you pretty much had to dump cash into the loot boxes to get any items in a decent amount of time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't get me wrong it's scummy all around, it just seemed par for the course for me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Just keep the game balanced and make it feel like a full package and idgaf

The only people who give the full package anymore are the Japanese; they are self-sacrificing sons of bitches and I love them.

American devs are focused entirely on short-term profit and have no honor. Their only concern is selling you a "platform"

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The only people who give the full package anymore are the Japanese; they are self-sacrificing sons of bitches and I love them.

:agreed:

See Yakuza games, Persona 5, Nier Automata or Monster Hunter games.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Really hope if we get a third game they bring Titan durability back more towards how it was in the first game, it's kinda pathetic how fragile they are in 2, I think a good way to help fix this issue would be to have Shields be on by default and have them regenerate like in 1, have batteries be for repairing health and adding Core meter instead

Also Anti-Titan weapons need to be severely nerfed

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The only thing Titans need is an external megaphone on their torso that blasts tinny music based on your Titan, I suggest Creedence Clearwater's "Green River" for Legion or the Attack on Titan theme for Ronin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Really hope if we get a third game they bring Titan durability back more towards how it was in the first game, it's kinda pathetic how fragile they are in 2, I think a good way to help fix this issue would be to have Shields be on by default and have them regenerate like in 1, have batteries be for repairing health and adding Core meter instead

Also Anti-Titan weapons need to be severely nerfed

Titans are only fragile if you suck at playing. TF1 people basically never got inside their Titans, things had to change.