Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Wow, I can't believe they ended warmachine and announced it by shutting down the app.

The best part is that I actually had to check to make sure this wasn't actually the case because some of PP's decisions have been... Questionable somewhat recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I said come in! posted:

lol I picked a good time to get into the game.

No takebacks!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

head58 posted:

No takebacks!

Yeah it's too late for me, but that is okay. I really like Warmachine, and if PP ever does go under, their models will be really cheap. :getin:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I honestly can't wait for Warcaster. I hope it's a big divergence from WMH in how the game feels though.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

S.J. posted:

I honestly can't wait for Warcaster. I hope it's a big divergence from WMH in how the game feels though.

Big same

I didn't realize I wanted a Warmachine 40K setting but turns out I really really do.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Warroom is fixed!

As great as that is, the fact they didn't do a rollback for a app-breaking bug for a week is bizarre.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To be fair, people who purchased / backed the PC version of Warmachine are still waiting years later for PP to properly support that product. :v: So this is nothing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FrostyPox posted:

Big same

I didn't realize I wanted a Warmachine 40K setting but turns out I really really do.

I wonder if any of the new factions will have a c, y and / or an x in their name

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Super-pumped for Cygnar X, from the 10th planet on the Cygnar system

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The Warcaster reveal stuff looks interesting. I like the smaller focus, the reinforcement game, and the deck building aspect for your "spells", and the general look of the models. It really feels like they heard my friends and me talking about how we liked Infinity's look but did not like its strange rule system or the d20 dice.

That said, them going to kickstarter for it does not bode well. I hope it good cause I'd love for Warmachine not to entirely die. Lord knows it could use a seriously hard reboot and model reduction. I'd hate to squat some models but I'm not sure what the way forward is for the game. It has cratered hard in my area right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think I am just stupid, but I am not seeing this Warcaster game that people are talking about on the Pivateer Press website.

[edit]
I found it finally https://home.privateerpress.com/warcaster/ ooh dear, I am in love with these models already.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

I said come in! posted:

I think I am just stupid, but I am not seeing this Warcaster game that people are talking about on the Pivateer Press website.

[edit]
I found it finally https://home.privateerpress.com/warcaster/ ooh dear, I am in love with these models already.

The infantry are a bit generic for me, but not a dealbreaker. I do like the Mechs an awful lot.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I never played Tau but huge fuckoff railguns speak to me. I'm excited for these new jacks and the customization options

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

But did it have to be a Kickstarter?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

counterspin posted:

But did it have to be a Kickstarter?

When you're unsure about it's success, or can't secure funding from investors, yes it does.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
it also helps to establish ballpark figures for model production

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Where does Privateer Press have their models created?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Not at all a fan of the kickstarter bit, but extremely hyped for everything else. Looks fuckin' awesome

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Where does Privateer Press have their models created?

They seem to do mostly in-house production these days, iirc.

Also sup thread haven’t done WMH in months but Warcats looks cool.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I'm assuming we don't get space monsters and space elephants

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

waah posted:

I'm assuming we don't get space monsters and space elephants

At least not yet. If I had to speculate, I'd imagine that they want to start small and try to keep it simple, doubly so at the start.

WMH's rapid expansion and endless parade of new solos/units is one of the reasons I've been so hesitant to get back into it lately. But hey, who knows what kickstarter can bring.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I imagine Warlock: Bio-Carnavora is a ways out, but I'm certain it's planned.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Crazy Ferret posted:

At least not yet. If I had to speculate, I'd imagine that they want to start small and try to keep it simple, doubly so at the start.

WMH's rapid expansion and endless parade of new solos/units is one of the reasons I've been so hesitant to get back into it lately. But hey, who knows what kickstarter can bring.

From PP’s social media guy

“Kickstarter is a reliable form of direct to consumer distribution.

We’ve been open about this in the past. PP (and other companies like Wyrd and probably CB) have had distribution problems as the landscape of the gaming industry changes. Consumers want our product, and we want them to have our product, but there’s a disconnect in between that a lot of companies are trying to figure out.”

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm glad the general consensus is that the units look hype, because to me they look offputtingly bland, like almost a satire? I do enjoy pp's propensity to reuse words, arc will never not evoke arc nodes for me, and with it having such a related meaning I will forever find that confusing.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I just watched the Primecast and I would like to inject Warcaster directly into my veins, tia

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Due to my local scene, I've been forcing myself into 40k.

I'm annoyed at how much better Warcaster's style is than Kill Team's style.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

Not at all a fan of the kickstarter bit, but extremely hyped for everything else. Looks fuckin' awesome

Yeah I am just going to wait until I can order them directly from the PP website, or some other miniature selling site. I went in almost $175 on the current Battletech kickstarter and may have been burned.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I trust an established company that seems to have control over it's production to follow through on this kind of KS, so I'm pretty excited about this.

Also: they pretty much nailed the kind of aesthetic I was hoping for.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Aesthetically it looks really nice, and alternating activations is such a basic but meaningful way of exponentially increasing the strategic depth of wargames and I am glad it seems to be becoming the norm. Kinda disappointed that warcasters aren't represented by a model, because in my mind I was picturing some kind of heavily customizable mini to act as your avatar based on the initial announcement. Agreed on Kickstarter being kind of a bummer too, but it would be cool to see PP have a resurgence and sort of make a comeback with this thing. Here's hoping.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Honestly I'm super glad there isn't going to be a WMH style instant loss condition like caster kill. I enjoy it, but I don't want to see it in both of their mini games.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Hopefully they get their international distribution network in order before they launch the Kickstarter.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Maneck posted:

Hopefully they get their international distribution network in order before they launch the Kickstarter.

YEP

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

gently caress I was gonna buy a Nintendo Switch next week but I might be a giant dummy idiot instead and spend that money on this KS, assuming it starts within the next few weeks

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

gently caress I was gonna buy a Nintendo Switch next week but I might be a giant dummy idiot instead and spend that money on this KS, assuming it starts within the next few weeks

Now that I think about it, did they give an estimated start time for the KS?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

S.J. posted:

Now that I think about it, did they give an estimated start time for the KS?

I don't think they did. Maybe they'll talk about it during the next Primecast?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

I don't think they did. Maybe they'll talk about it during the next Primecast?

Hopefully. Either way I need next Tuesday to be here already.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

So i'm late to the party, but I just found out about Warbands:Bushido and...

How did no one at Privateer Press go, let's hire someone to slap a coat of Warmachine paint on this and ship it?

Have limited F2p gacha sure if you need to recoup costs sure, but $5-$7.50 for a full guaranteed faction, $25 for the whole set?

Or even better just make the app costs cosmetic items instead. You want Makeda in a totally not Hatsune Miku outfit murdering everything she sees? I'd pay $2.50 for it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

waah posted:

So i'm late to the party, but I just found out about Warbands:Bushido and...

How did no one at Privateer Press go, let's hire someone to slap a coat of Warmachine paint on this and ship it?

Have limited F2p gacha sure if you need to recoup costs sure, but $5-$7.50 for a full guaranteed faction, $25 for the whole set?

Or even better just make the app costs cosmetic items instead. You want Makeda in a totally not Hatsune Miku outfit murdering everything she sees? I'd pay $2.50 for it.

I have no idea what that is but I would play Archdomina Miku in an instant

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
That would be cool but for some reason PP is very much anchored to Tinker House Games and I couldn’t find another app or piece of software they have developed since Warroom/Tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

S.J. posted:

I have no idea what that is but I would play Archdomina Miku in an instant

https://youtu.be/Yo9afERLtNA?t=884

Here you go. Tell me like you can't see the easiest possible conversion to take this from feudal Japan to robots punching monsters.

I mean if you even were to scale it down more and just make it a straight up Company of Heroes game so that you didn't have to worry about feats and large/colossal bases, can you see it needing to be more than a say 6 month job for like 5 dudes to come up with something similar and with say the 4 or 5 most popular factions initially?