Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

rotor posted:

is there a place i can go to pay $X an hour to play with excavators and bulldozers and poo poo? Just like a half acre sandbox with some heavy equipment in there. If there is, why isnt there one closer to me?

you could do like hal in that one episode of malcolm in the middle where he rents a steam roller for a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

FMguru posted:

yeah, gifted kid hitting The Wall is a story old as time (and the later it happens, the worse the fallout)

i taught a few summers at one of those camps for creepily smart middle/high school kids and it was always a kick watching some fifteen-year-old who's the smartest person in his entire regular school district experience being the dumb kid for the first time in his life. it wasn't even mean, it was genuinely good for everyone, especially the kid in question, even if it was often a rough time in the short term. (and as icing on the cake they all got to practice actual socialization because at a camp full of nerds nobody is a nerd.)

i assume that the smartest kids at nerd camp all grew up to be serial killers though.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

adam something's "you're $!00k in debt for a meme and you feel nothing" but it's "you're $100k in debt for a meme and you hear the debt collectors warming up the shin breakers"

cybertruck sucks for debt collectors, it's a piece of crap not worth repossessing and you can't threaten to cut off the debtors' fingers because the truck already did that for you

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

raminasi posted:

i assume that the smartest kids at nerd camp all grew up to be serial killers though.
but if undergrad is your first nerd camp you become head of AI at tesla

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

infernal machines posted:

honestly, it's hard to believe the sun set on the british empire

the only time I will give our horrible governmental system its due is that Elizabeth (pbuh)'s dad actively sought the dissolution of the empire after travelling overseas and realising it was just as bad as the nazis he saw our country fight

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

cybertruck sucks for debt collectors, it's a piece of crap not worth repossessing and you can't threaten to cut off the debtors' fingers because the truck already did that for you

if you can afford a cybertruck you likely have objects of actual worth that can be repossessed instead

well, unless your wife is smart enough to instigate the divorce fast enough to get first dibs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tesseraction posted:

if you can afford a cybertruck you likely have objects of actual worth that can be repossessed instead

well, unless your wife is smart enough to instigate the divorce fast enough to get first dibs

what if it's one of those "cybertent" people (not the ones that build the thing, the ones that live in it)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

then everything worthless has left to hide in the woods and the family can start changing the locks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just had a hearty lol remembering the concept of what that was supposed to be: a camping tent with a bunch of nice appliances that could be powered by the truck and room for at least two people, some kind of bar thing for serving food, etc.

then what it actually is,

$3,000

e: source

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 18, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol when looking for that i found this, from today:

quote:

Tesla Model 3 Performance price hiked $1k again, under a month after release

The refreshed Model 3 Performance was released on April 23, but less than a month after release it’s having its price hiked again, for a second time.

The Model 3 Performance just got a big refresh, after the Model 3’s overall “Highland” refresh.

The refresh includes more horsepower (up to 510hp now, and 0-60 of 2.9 seconds), some exterior changes, and lots of other underlying changes to make the car better at performance applications.

And it also included a very attractive price – one which was actually cheaper than the lower-spec Long Range Model 3 after taking tax credits into account, since the Performance qualifies for the US EV tax credit and the Long Range model does not.

As a result it immediately garnered rave reviews both from online observers who note its impressive specs and value proposition compared to competing vehicles, and from the few car reviewers who Tesla deigned to allow to review the vehicle ahead of its release.

But perhaps those reviews were too good, and Tesla decided they could command a higher price for these vehicles. As a result, just 3 days after release, Tesla hiked the price of the Model 3 Performance by $1,000. At the same time, it reduced the price of some paint and interior options as well.

Now, we’re having a little déjà vu as almost the exact same thing has happened again.

Today, Tesla hiked the price of the Model 3 Performance by another $1,000, up to $54,490, just $10 less than the $55k limit to access the EV tax credit.

extremely glad some rear end in a top hat is getting tax credits on a piece of poo poo that can slam into a wall from a complete stop at 60 mph in 2.9 seconds while basic necessities are unaffordable to some without government assistance that keeps getting cut further and further. apparently our money is better spent on some techbro buying a tesla instead of the people's wellbeing

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

rotor posted:

is there a place i can go to pay $X an hour to play with excavators and bulldozers and poo poo? Just like a half acre sandbox with some heavy equipment in there. If there is, why isnt there one closer to me?

Diggerland! (usa) In Berlin! (new jersey)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

lol at buying a tesla with 70k miles on it for any amount of money, that's near the end of its lifespan :allears:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Tesseraction posted:

what? lol

nearly everyone who has one is a cultist who went deep into debt to buy it. they're all dead broke just like their trucks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

...! posted:

what? lol

nearly everyone who has one is a cultist who went deep into debt to buy it. they're all dead broke just like their trucks

ehh as much as i hate the thing, and elon, i don't think that's true

at least a couple of wealthy (by any definition) people seem to have bought them, although apparently some that could be described as celebrities were just given them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

RoastBeef posted:

Diggerland! (usa) In Berlin! (new jersey)

[extremely homer simpson voice] New Jersey??! Awwww

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

[extremely homer simpson voice] New Jersey??! Awwww

hey, at least it's not one of those states where the "d" would routinely be defaced into a "n"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
low bar but ur not wrong

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

hey, at least it's not one of those states where the "d" would routinely be defaced into a "n"

yeah it could be on long island

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

qirex posted:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

ehh as much as i hate the thing, and elon, i don't think that's true

at least a couple of wealthy (by any definition) people seem to have bought them, although apparently some that could be described as celebrities were just given them

i guess you're right. after all, being rich is a sign of high intelligence and excellent decision making. buying a cybertruck is one of the smartest decisions you could make, thus the rich must be the primary customers :thunk:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

...! posted:

i guess you're right. after all, being rich is a sign of high intelligence and excellent decision making. buying a cybertruck is one of the smartest decisions you could make, thus the rich must be the primary customers :thunk:

nah they just cost over $100,000. anyone buying one is, by almost any definition, rich. wealth very obviously does not directly translate into intelligence

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

ehh. the real long island, i.e. encompassing brooklyn and queens? nah

the pretender nassau and suffolk counties that should've been relegated to district status? maybe

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rotor posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i did so many donuts in the cellar forklifts man

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

nah they just cost over $100,000. anyone buying one is, by almost any definition, rich. wealth very obviously does not directly translate into intelligence

um excuse me but elon musk is one of the wealthiest men on the planet and he's also the most intelligent man on the planet. he's taking us to mars

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Beeftweeter posted:

imagine how insane the danes who buy teslas are. models s/x are ~110–130k, 3 and y start at 50k. obvs cybertruck is illegal

for that money, you can get a lotta car that wont try to kill you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i have friends with kids who bought teslas and i dont like being an rear end in a top hat and dunking on them so i just discreetly tell them to make sure they know how the backdoor opens from the inside. which is super condescending but its good info i think

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Carthag Tuek posted:

imagine how insane the danes who buy teslas are. models s/x are ~110–130k, 3 and y start at 50k. obvs cybertruck is illegal

for that money, you can get a lotta car that wont try to kill you

the s and x aren't eligible for the government subsidies here, so the s starts at $72,990 for the base model and $87,990 for the plaid. the x starts at $77,990 and $92,990, same configs, both are without any options at all. so it's not like they're cheap here either

the 3 and y are only "cheap" due to the government subsidies, and with them they're still over $32k, which is not exactly cheap imo. without them they'd both start at or over $40k, and that's for a completely base, unconfigured car, too

and keep in mind most people are not buying a completely base, unconfigured car, because the range and speed sucks. you could get a better, far more luxurious ice or even hybrid for the same amount, or less, and it'll have the bonus of not being a variation on an over 10 year old design regardless of model (i guess excepting the cybertruck, although it's been 5 years since it was revealed, lol)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Carthag Tuek posted:

i have friends with kids who bought teslas and i dont like being an rear end in a top hat and dunking on them so i just discreetly tell them to make sure they know how the backdoor opens from the inside. which is super condescending but its good info i think

i have a few friends that have bought them too, and whenever they bring it up i just tell them what i know about them. i don't flat out say that they bought a piece of poo poo and should feel lucky to be alive, but if they have some complaint or something i'll go into detail about why it's happening or why it's designed that way etc., and at least some of them have said because of my comments (and to be fair, a lot of them are also at least peripherally aware of elon's behavior) they won't get another tesla lol

most of the others just don't want another one anyway, although i do know one guy that doesn't want another but also doesn't want to get rid of his model s. i forget which year it was, i think 2013. either way, it's old enough that it doesn't have autopilot or fsd and isn't capable of them. he says he's got like 70,000 miles on it and still gets like 180 miles on a charge, so he loves it, and to be fair, that does sound good. and an older tesla without fsd? that's fine in my book

i also told him he's lucky he got one back when elon wasn't as loving nuts and tesla actually cared about their product's quality. he agreed and said that's basically why he doesn't want another lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Carthag Tuek posted:

when i came back to fastly like my first meeting with my cohorts - some old some new - one of my buddies asked "hey jonny, you know cars and i kind of want to buy one. What do you think about teslas?" and i did the usual neckbeard "well they're built by a racist idiot freak and fall apart constantly and you can't get them fixed. I say avoid" and one of the new folks unmuted and quietly said ".....well, ive got one and, yeah, he's right on all points"

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

when i came back to fastly like my first meeting with my cohorts - some old some new - one of my buddies asked "hey jonny, you know cars and i kind of want to buy one. What do you think about teslas?" and i did the usual neckbeard "well they're built by a racist idiot freak and fall apart constantly and you can't get them fixed. I say avoid" and one of the new folks unmuted and quietly said ".....well, ive got one and, yeah, he's right on all points"

lol

lmfao

Beeftweeter posted:

i also told him he's lucky he got one back when elon wasn't as loving nuts and tesla actually cared about their product's quality. he agreed and said that's basically why he doesn't want another lol

in 2040, well-kept pre-elon teslas will be a premium. like serious cash

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Beeftweeter posted:

that's called shenmue and it was released on dreamcast in 1999
rotor 100%ing Kids On Site for the Sega CD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_WVJJ2N7rE&t=115s

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

incidentally, fun fact re bioengineering, the big problem with lab-grown meat is: it needs to pee

growing cells in culture absolutely isn't new and there's nothing particularly difficult about growing small amounts of cow muscle. once you scale it up, though, you gotta deal with the fact that growing meat is a metabolism and metabolisms produce waste and that waste has to go somewhere. essentially your synthetic cow meat fills up with stuff that would have been removed by a real cow's kidneys. idk what the exact effect of this is on the meat, but i assume it stops growing eventually when the environment becomes too toxic, and also the meat tastes like pee.

:eng101:

how much of a pee taste are we talking about. obviously it's not for everybody but i can think of a particular irish author whose self-insert enjoyed it

quote:

Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liverslices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods’ roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
congrats to elon on recovering the namecheap password

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

*scrolling through scifi cliches* oh this one fits