Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

codyclarke posted:

Is it just me or does the Sisters criterion blu-ray look pretty bad? Some shots look fine, others look terrible.

I think De Palma's pretty fuckin' neato and those pics are enough to keep me from upgrading. wth criterion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

codyclarke posted:

Is it just me or does the Sisters criterion blu-ray look pretty bad? Some shots look fine, others look terrible.

Definitely not just you.

Maybe 10 years from now everyone will look back at this time and wonder "Why did we decide that movies had to be green?" Maybe we'll just do it because at that point all movies will be coloured red.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

December titles:

Forty Guns

A Dry White Season

Panique

Sawdust and Tinsel
(standalone release, also included in the Bergman set)

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 17, 2018

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Never gonna say no to more Samuel Fuller.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I was wondering if someone could name the films that are in the first two pictures of this tweet?

https://twitter.com/criterion/status/1043854673164349441?s=21

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

I was wondering if someone could name the films that are in the first two pictures of this tweet?

https://twitter.com/criterion/status/1043854673164349441?s=21

Autumn Sonata and All That Heaven Allows.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Egbert Souse posted:

Autumn Sonata and All That Heaven Allows.

Thank you. These two look like they’ll kick autumn into gear for me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think A Safe Place is my new pick for worst film in the Criterion Collection.

Not something I expected to say about film whose supporting cast includes Jack Nicholson and Orson Welles but christ.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Raxivace posted:

Not something I expected to say about film whose supporting cast includes Jack Nicholson and Orson Welles but christ.

Welcome to Henry Jaglom. He's directed some of the absolute worst independent films ever. The rest of his filmography makes A Safe Place look Criterion-worthy by comparison.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Raxivace posted:

At least it has Orson Welles, something "Tiny Furniture" cannot claim.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i havent seen either of those but i can't imagine they're worse than jellyfish eyes

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Jellyfish Eyes is good, actually.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking forward to to Criterion's edition of Rango.

Edit: no wait that's an iguana. My joke sucks and is bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lizard Magic UHD incoming

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That's just about the worst pun Criterion has used for a newsletter clue since "Ill, sore possum"

I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Robert Zemeckis' debut feature

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

That's just about the worst pun Criterion has used for a newsletter clue since "Ill, sore possum"

hahaha that's amazing

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never thought of pre-BTTF Zemeckis. Is it any good?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

it’s completely unremarkable but fun enough

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

They should do used cars instead

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

They should do used cars instead

Twilight Time released it, but since it's a Sony title we'll probably see Indicator release it. All their Sony licenses have been region free so far.

Even if you missed the limited edition, you're only missing out on the booklet.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah probably. But a boy can also wish for Herzog's Bad Lieutenant

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
I love A Safe Place and I've never heard anyone articulate why it's supposedly so terrible. I think if it was a French New Wave movie people would like it more, it's a quirky woman's exploration of her sexuality phantasmagoria. Tuesday Weld stares straight into the camera and Orson Welles does magic, what's not to like?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HP Hovercraft posted:

I love A Safe Place and I've never heard anyone articulate why it's supposedly so terrible. I think if it was a French New Wave movie people would like it more, it's a quirky woman's exploration of her sexuality phantasmagoria. Tuesday Weld stares straight into the camera and Orson Welles does magic, what's not to like?
I didn't find Weld's character interesting at all (I blame Jaglom more than Weld for this, who is doing what she can with the material) and while there's an influence from people like Godard in the film's style it felt very imitative to me, and not the thoughtful kind of imitative.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Has Criterion hinted at doing anything with the Godzilla collection other than putting them on Filmstruck? It would to have non bootleg, uncut blu-rays of the Showa era films.

Innkeeper
Oct 5, 2003

STAY ALERT. TRUST NO ONE. KEEP YOUR LASER HANDY.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know why Criterion has never done a Darren Aronofsky film?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Innkeeper posted:

Not sure, but Pi has only ever been non-anamorphic, and Requiem for a Dream could use a remaster, so I'm all for it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

He was pushing for Criterion to do The Fountain, which is within the realm of possibility since it's a Warner film.

I'm actually surprised Pi isn't out yet since there's an excellent HD master on Netflix. Too bad that and Requiem for a Dream are with Lionsgate.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Innkeeper posted:

mother! , plz

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Innkeeper posted:

Aronofsky approached Criterion to do “The Fountain” but they turned him down.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

why should criterion release a multi-million dollar temper tantrum

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

why should criterion release a multi-million dollar temper tantrum

More to the point why would they release something that's already got an up to date blu release and doesn't have a massive mainstream audience or the kind of cult constituency that would buy another release within the span of a year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

More to the point why would they release something that's already got an up to date blu release and doesn't have a massive mainstream audience or the kind of cult constituency that would buy another release within the span of a year.

I mean, why would they release Tiny Furniture, or Armageddon, or, or, or...

But if they were going to release any single one of his movies I'd love it to be mother! , and I am of the constituency that would buy it again.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Tiny Furniture was distributed through them, that's a Blue Is The Warmest Color situation where they're the first home video release.

Also I loved mother! but I don't know what the sell would be over the current version. Even more special features?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

Tiny Furniture was distributed through them, that's a Blue Is The Warmest Color situation where they're the first home video release.

Also I loved mother! but I don't know what the sell would be over the current version. Even more special features?

Auxiliary documentary: How I Met Your mother!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

On the topic of Blue Is The Warmest Color, I'm guessing the plans for a special edition have been scrapped at this point?

I heard the director might've washed his hands of the film.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

But if they were going to release any single one of his movies I'd love it to be mother! , and I am of the constituency that would buy it again.

They did Armageddon as an agreement with Disney to get access to catalogue titles.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

They did Armageddon as an agreement with Disney to get access to catalogue titles.

Actually, the DVDs for Armageddon, The Rock, Rushmore, Chasing Amy, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic were basically produced by Criterion, but distributed by Disney. That's why none of the DVD editions are available from Criterion's website. For Blu-ray, they licensed the Wes Anderson titles like anything else.

They did a few similar deals with other studios. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is distributed by Paramount, which is why it's in a regular blue case. The America Lost and Found set was almost in the can from Sony, but they decided to have Criterion release it - though, likely because Sony is Criterion's distributor.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Fun fact, Armageddon was Criterion's last laserdisc release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVDBeaver has reviews up for The Magnificent Ambersons and Some Like It Hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
mmm...crisp