Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Chiwie posted:

I sent you a PM, my wreck should be a good source of parts. (I might even be willing to buy some off you if I have any money spare from my payout.)

Picked up my new car today. Somewhat similar to what I had before but it needs more work on chassis bracing/slightly hardening the suspension.

Yep, had a look already. Tossing it up if sticking everything from that into the GC would work. I think right now the answer is no because.....

The guy with the Spec C sent me pics and a item list. Holy gently caress my wallet is screaming from the mere thought of

quote:

Here are a few photos, more are available if required.

The following are some, but certainly not all of the other items that I have;

New STI plated front diff
New Motec SDC2 DCCD controller
New STI lightweight flywheel
New STI group N engine mounts
Used Altronic SM4 PNP
Used KW variant 3 sudpension (approx 1000km use)

And then the garage pics with ..... more Subarus than I have (2 Hawks, one shell, the SpecC and a Liberty RS plus one seriously old one I havent id'ed yet) and racks of parts / spares that he's looking to begin to offload.

Crap. Someone got a spare 10K so I can grab some more of the pile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

jamal posted:

Boost gauges are fairly far down the list for gauges for me. I like coolant temp and oil pressure before that. If you have changed a bunch of parts and have an aftermarket turbo and boost controller it's a good idea though.

If I didn't have the boost gauge, I wouldn't have known about the boost leak caused from installing the boost gauge. :wom:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
How strong is a '04-'06 STi rear differential? I can't seem to get a straight answer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sinestro posted:

How strong is a '04-'06 STi rear differential? I can't seem to get a straight answer.

Decent enough to go behind 300Kw+ cars. I've seen them handle 500Kw drag cars and live beyond anything else in the driveline. Let me also put it this way - anyone saying the 6spd or R180 is weak is a complete loving moron who should not be listened to.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Cat Terrist posted:

Decent enough to go behind 300Kw+ cars. I've seen them handle 500Kw drag cars and live beyond anything else in the driveline. Let me also put it this way - anyone saying the 6spd or R180 is weak is a complete loving moron who should not be listened to.

Thanks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
When jamal worked on time attack cars I think he said that their car was running the stock STI transmission. I don't know if that extended to diffs. If it did, that was probably more for performance than reliability reasons.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yep stock diffs too. Although it did recently blow up 4th gear in the untouched stock box with 750awhp and the rear plated diff slips when the inside wheel gets light.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
I'm a big dummy with poor impulse control, but everyone knows that already.

Anyway, I bought an '04 STi tonight from a friend of mine (original owner). It makes lots of smoke, so I got it for very cheap. Help me figure out what to do? Keep in mind I have no tools or garage where I'm living right now so any steps will have to be done by a shop.

The car has 60k miles. Cobb down pipe, exhaust, and "stage 1" ecu flash (which is something that sounds 2fast2furious).

He was doing a trackday with it at ThunderHill and it went low on power and started blowing lots of smoke. I was there with him, and helped check it out.

Oil was leaking under the car, so I put it up on jackstands to check it out. Oil was coming out from where the downpipe meets the exhaust. I pulled the down pipe and there was oil everywhere inside the turbo and exhaust. Clearly it was being burned by the engine (hence the smoke), but also maybe just coming out of the turbo unburnt? The smoke was all white.... which to me means coolant being burned, but the coolant looks good and no overheating or signs of headgasket problems.

So, I have the car.. it runs and drives and blows smoke. What should I do?

I'm thinking of these two options:

1) drop it off at a dealer and tell them to put a new shortblock in it and send both heads out for a rebuild. New clutch, tune-up parts, waterpump, etc. Probably ask them to put all the stock parts back on (cat, exhaust, re-flash the ECU to stock). I <3 stock cars for reliability.

2) drop it off at GST motorsports in Hayward, CA (5 minutes from where I work). Have them diagnose it and repair it with whatever they think is best. Also have them convert it back to stock. I dont really trust "tuner" shops though... if they do a rebuild, I bet it will blow up and not be reliable like OEM.

I'd like to spend around $4500

Thoughts, opinions, insults? Additionally, I have read that the original ECU tune for the '04 is terrible and I should not put that back to stock. T/F?

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 9, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Does someone have the transmission code spreadsheet? I Need to know what TY856WB7JA was (6spd obviously, interested in front diff)

Toaster - just reading your post twice you *MIGHT* be lucky and it's a blown turbo (Actually I think it's the first suspect rather than the engine becuase you have all the classic symtoms). Take out the turbo and give it the once over - the sure sign is clean inlet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Blown turbo sounds possible to me as well.

Here's a tranny chart which might do it for you: http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Subaru%20Transmission%20Chart but doesn't seem to have your transmission listed (Spec-C?) :(

Some cursory googling seems to say the front diff is helical which would be consistent with the 90s Type RA.

03 Spec-C is TY856WB3JA with a suretrac front
05 Spec-C is TY856WB6JA with a helical front

I'm guessing 06+ would be helical as well, I think Subaru basically ditched suretrac past USDM MY04/JDM MY03.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 9, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Rallispec is who put that trans chart together btw

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2173258

toaster_pastry posted:

I'm a big dummy with poor impulse control, but everyone knows that already.

Anyway, I bought an '04 STi tonight from a friend of mine (original owner). It makes lots of smoke, so I got it for very cheap. Help me figure out what to do? Keep in mind I have no tools or garage where I'm living right now so any steps will have to be done by a shop.

The car has 60k miles. Cobb down pipe, exhaust, and "stage 1" ecu flash (which is something that sounds 2fast2furious).

He was doing a trackday with it at ThunderHill and it went low on power and started blowing lots of smoke. I was there with him, and helped check it out.

Oil was leaking under the car, so I put it up on jackstands to check it out. Oil was coming out from where the downpipe meets the exhaust. I pulled the down pipe and there was oil everywhere inside the turbo and exhaust. Clearly it was being burned by the engine (hence the smoke), but also maybe just coming out of the turbo unburnt? The smoke was all white.... which to me means coolant being burned, but the coolant looks good and no overheating or signs of headgasket problems.

So, I have the car.. it runs and drives and blows smoke. What should I do?

I'm thinking of these two options:

1) drop it off at a dealer and tell them to put a new shortblock in it and send both heads out for a rebuild. New clutch, tune-up parts, waterpump, etc. Probably ask them to put all the stock parts back on (cat, exhaust, re-flash the ECU to stock). I <3 stock cars for reliability.

2) drop it off at GST motorsports in Hayward, CA (5 minutes from where I work). Have them diagnose it and repair it with whatever they think is best. Also have them convert it back to stock. I dont really trust "tuner" shops though... if they do a rebuild, I bet it will blow up and not be reliable like OEM.

I'd like to spend around $4500

Thoughts, opinions, insults? Additionally, I have read that the original ECU tune for the '04 is terrible and I should not put that back to stock. T/F?

Go to GST. The dealer will charge more and you DONT want another set of stock pistons (if it's not a blown turbo the pistons are your problem). They are one of the best when it comes to building a Subaru engine. And keep the exhaust. And tell Mike I said hi.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Blown turbo sounds possible to me as well.

Here's a tranny chart which might do it for you: http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Subaru%20Transmission%20Chart but doesn't seem to have your transmission listed (Spec-C?) :(

Some cursory googling seems to say the front diff is helical which would be consistent with the 90s Type RA.

03 Spec-C is TY856WB3JA with a suretrac front
05 Spec-C is TY856WB6JA with a helical front

I'm guessing 06+ would be helical as well, I think Subaru basically ditched suretrac past USDM MY04/JDM MY03.

So the transmission checks out as a SpecC and it's likely to be helical.

If the rear diff checks out as plated, I'm sold.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yep, helical front, plated rear, plus the newer 41:59 center diff which has an added mechanical lsd.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

Go to GST. The dealer will charge more and you DONT want another set of stock pistons (if it's not a blown turbo the pistons are your problem). They are one of the best when it comes to building a Subaru engine. And keep the exhaust. And tell Mike I said hi.

Basically this. It sounds like a blown turbo to me. GST does excellent work both mechanically and in tunes. Trust us when we say you want to keep the car properly tuned. And with a cobb down pope you should be running a "Stage 2" tune, Mike @ GST can do that for you as well.

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it?

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

So the transmission checks out as a SpecC and it's likely to be helical.

If the rear diff checks out as plated, I'm sold.

R180 plated diffs are cheap anyway, its already got a full R180 rear end so just buy it.

I'll need to find a new home for an G1S2 RS Liberty shell soon, picked up a converted herritage to put all my gear into that hasn't been sitting in a backyard unregistered for way too long.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kaws! posted:

I'll need to find a new home for an G1S2 RS Liberty shell soon, picked up a converted herritage to put all my gear into that hasn't been sitting in a backyard unregistered for way too long.

NO ONE SAY A GODDAMN WORD. I AM NOT GETTING A LIBERTY!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

The problem is that GST and the other bay area shops are still hilariously expensive. $4500 won't get the job done if the pistons poo poo the bed. Need another $1-2k. (Though it doesn't sound like a piston.)

Oh and "reliable" like OEM is a joke. Subaru can't make a piston to save their lives.

nm fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 9, 2012

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

So when will you be picking it up?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kaws! posted:

So when will you be picking it up?

What you cant see here is Cat Terrist flipping this guy the bird.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.
I know it has been posted before, but what are the sites that people use to determine dealer cost on upgrades and so forth?

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

nm posted:

Oh and "reliable" like OEM is a joke. Subaru can't make a piston to save their lives.

I dont really believe this.

I have an intelligent and responsible friend whom bought an '02 WRX and '06 STi both new. The WRX has 200k miles and the STi has 90k miles. He and his wife autocross and daily drive both cars with great agression and they are both as nice, reliable, and original as the day they left the showroom.

All of these low mileage Subarus with blown engines strike me as kids with agressive tunes, random mods, and extremely abusive driving styles. Furthermore, most of these tuner shops do not strike me as being precise enough to deliver an engine build to the tight tolerances I can expect from a factory sealed engine. Sure, they can build a loose engine that makes lots of power with a big turbo and agressive tune, but its going to let go in 10k miles... the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

OEM 270hp is plenty for me. I'd rather have it de-tuned and know that I can drive it cross-country reliably, or at least that it will hold together on California's lovely pump gas.

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 9, 2012

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

toaster_pastry posted:

I dont really believe this.

I have an intelligent and responsible friend whom bought an '02 WRX and '06 STi both new. The WRX has 200k miles and the STi has 90k miles. He and his wife autocross and daily drive both cars with great agression and they are both as nice, reliable, and original as the day they left the showroom.

All of these low mileage Subarus with blown engines strike me as kids with agressive tunes, random mods, and extremely abusive driving styles. Furthermore, most of these tuner shops do not strike me as being precise enough to deliver an engine build to the tight tolerances I can expect from a factory sealed engine. Sure, they can build a loose engine that makes lots of power with a big turbo and agressive tune, but its going to let go in 10k miles... the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

OEM 270hp is plenty for me. I'd rather have it de-tuned and know that I can drive it cross-country reliably, or at least that it will hold together on California's lovely pump gas.

Nope.

The piston manufacturer changed around/after 07, so all the new gen ones break ringlands like it's their job. You can stage 2 the earlier cars and they'll love it all day every day, but I've seen guys on simple stage 2 break their poo poo.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

toaster_pastry posted:

Furthermore, most of these tuner shops do not strike me as being precise enough to deliver an engine build to the tight tolerances I can expect from a factory sealed engine. Sure, they can build a loose engine that makes lots of power with a big turbo and agressive tune, but its going to let go in 10k miles... the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

That is exactly the opposite of what most shops do. I know for a fact that EQ Tuning uses factory tolerances on their engine builds and tunes on the conservative side precisely for reliability and longevity. I have 30k miles on my engine build from them and it runs as strong as the day they put it in.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cat Terrist posted:

You've got PLENTY of space for one.. or.. sixteen.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I have a very short log here of my 2011 STi on a Cobb 91 octane accessport map. Everything looks good except for this wacky boost data at the beginning.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahvm-HT5B_RkdHdBMDBJa05SdTNTdHdMbEtBYmxJR1E

I didn't happen to notice whether or not my boost gauge indicated that as well. 38 psi boost following 13 psi in the preceding data point. I was going up the continental divide and it was cold as poo poo and snowy if any of that is relevant. Any ideas?

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
So the battery was crap and after a new one car feels like new again, no more shaking at all, feels just like the day I bought it, everytime it feels weird I think ringlands because of you guys! Thanks lot you jerks! :p

Also I cannot believe the change new ATF and diff oil brings to the 5EAT and diffs... it's virtually bang free so far (knocks on wood), Motul really makes good stuff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

You've got PLENTY of space for one.. or.. sixteen.

Just remember: you're living the AI dream. Just ask toaster_pastry.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Do any of you guys know where to get a Chevy Forester grille and badges? I know the Subaru Forester was branded as a Chevy in India (and maybe Russia too?) until 2009 or 2010, but after a brief search on Almighty Google, I couldn't find much.

I should note that this is for a friend for Christmas.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

I'm not sure which of the three of us you are mocking. :golfclap:

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's starting again, huh?

Good God I have no idea why I love the ACR so much.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
We got some snow in WI today and I wanted to try out my brand new winter tires.

:shepface:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I have a very short log here of my 2011 STi on a Cobb 91 octane accessport map. Everything looks good except for this wacky boost data at the beginning.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahvm-HT5B_RkdHdBMDBJa05SdTNTdHdMbEtBYmxJR1E

I didn't happen to notice whether or not my boost gauge indicated that as well. 38 psi boost following 13 psi in the preceding data point. I was going up the continental divide and it was cold as poo poo and snowy if any of that is relevant. Any ideas?

I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to this. Ages ago my old Evo did the same thing when it got super cold outside. Boost spiked up to like 28PSI.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I understand that exceeding boost targets is more likely in cold weather, but I was letting off the throttle at the time of the spike. Wouldn't an over boost look like spooling and just go on too long?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The colder it is outside means the air is more compressed (thicker) which means that per litre of air there is more O2 at -17*C (0*F) than if it were 25*C (77*F). The intake temp appears to remain constant (44.6*F I assume) so that's kind of strange. I'd be curious to find out as well :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The wastegate duty cycle has an adjustment table based on IAT, so if IAT is constant it's not going to change the duty cycle much I assume.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Amandyke posted:

Unless you have already signed the financing paperwork then there is nothing forcing you to pay for the car other than the refundable deposit you put down. By all means play hard ball on the price. You could have a wrx for that price...

welp, that didn't go so great, but at least my girlfriend has the exact car she wants now.

They really wouldn't budge on the price of the Crosstrek, I tried to talk them down $1000 (right around $28,000 fully loaded) and they only gave up like $200. They kept telling me that the Crosstrek's are too new and they can't keep them on the lot, and if they didn't sell it to us they'd have someone come in and buy it within days. We should have done the negotiating up front before they ordered the car because by the time it got there they knew it was what she wanted and they had too much sway. The one nice thing is that they were running a promotion so we got two ~$600 season passes to a ski resort near us.

So far she's thrilled with the Crosstrek, she would have considered a newer impreza but really wanted the fuel economy of the 2012-2013 models and appreciated the extra ride height and styling of the Crosstrek.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They could probably tell that she wasn't leaving without the car given that she'd already waited months and was ok with the price at the beginning. I'm kindof surprised that they're selling so many of them. I just picked up a Premium Crosstrek and I'm super happy with it so far since it fit my wants and needs perfectly, but it doesn't seem like the type of thing that'd be flying off the metaphorical shelves.

What does the Limited come with over the Premium anyway? I didn't even look at them while I was shopping.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I understand that exceeding boost targets is more likely in cold weather, but I was letting off the throttle at the time of the spike. Wouldn't an over boost look like spooling and just go on too long?

I'd say it's just a weird glitch. The stock turbo isn't physically capable of making 38psi much less spiking there and back in a fraction of a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

So I have an interesting conundrum. I finally had a chance to install my TWE equal length header. And the pipes rest on the lower radiator hose where it comes out of the thermostat housing.

I have the thermostat housing flipped in the photo. Typically it would exit pointing right at that bend in the outer header pipe. It seems my options are:

- Doing a timing service and change to a turbo waterpump. The turbo waterpump has the thermostat housing exiting out the front face of the waterpump versus the bottom. Problem is this would be expensive and the timing was recently done.

- Get a custom made thermostat housing made that exits forward (Jamal you know anyone who would make one?)

- Flip the thermostat housing and use some crazy rear end u bend and bring the hose back around.

Any thoughts?

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 10, 2012