Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TL posted:

Austin turned heel to win the title at XVII, but the Texas crowd gave him a huge babyface reaction.

poo poo. I always forget Austin turned heel at XVII. In addition, I was just looking at the X-7 Wikipedia page, and I'm not going to lie...that picture in the article a several paragraphs down captioned "The Rock makes his appearance at Wrestlemania X-7" is really, really creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
HHH won at WM18 :smugdog:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

crankdatbatman posted:

poo poo. I always forget Austin turned heel at XVII. In addition, I was just looking at the X-7 Wikipedia page, and I'm not going to lie...that picture in the article a several paragraphs down captioned "The Rock makes his appearance at Wrestlemania X-7" is really, really creepy.

OH GOD WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT :gonk:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Real questions :

1. Where can I find that hilarious list of backstage WCW notes, from old Observer newsletters?

2. Why isn't Joe vs Angle at Lockdown considered one of the greatest matches of all time? (Serious question)

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

SamuraiFoochs posted:

OH GOD WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT :gonk:

Sting in his WWF debut.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tyma posted:

2. Why isn't Joe vs Angle at Lockdown considered one of the greatest matches of all time? (Serious question)

The MMA-lite one? It's a divisive match, some people really loved the way it was put together and think it's fantastic, others (like me, for example) were just left cold by the particular style they chose to go for and so the match didn't really have any real sense of impact (no pun intended).

tigerdriver82
Jun 15, 2009

Yo, you best
~Protect Your Neck~
Ah yeah, again and again!

Tyma posted:

Real questions :

1. Where can I find that hilarious list of backstage WCW notes, from old Observer newsletters?

this one?

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=294

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Meltzer posted:

"It wasn't Bret Hart driving the monster truck nor was Sid in the car that was being run over, although both were the original plan. Hart was told what part of the car to drive over and where Sid would be in the car so as to not drive over him. Hart refused saying he wasn't an experienced stunt driver. There was no problem with his decision and he was apologized to for being asked" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 10, 2000.

I love this one.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Tyma posted:

Why isn't Joe vs Angle at Lockdown considered one of the greatest matches of all time? (Serious question)

I really liked the match, and it's one of the best matches in TNA history, but "one of the greatest matches of all time" is extraordinarily difficult to achieve.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Have Scott Steiner and the Iron Sheik ever been in the same room together? Or would that cause a singularity to form and the universe to collapse or something?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also:

quote:

Quote #32

"They (DDP and Mike Awesome) were having a good match when Mark Madden said in the new WCW they were going to have winners and losers and the refs aren't going to be calling DQ's. Literally seconds later, Billy Silverman called the DQ." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 17, 2000

I read about this in Death of WCW as well, and I'm really curious how bad the communication has to be for this to happen. Were the announcers not told the finishes? Was it changed to a DQ shortly before the show?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
IIRC the announcers were largely kept in the dark about most things, even before Russo. See: Heenan screaming WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON when Hogan comes out at BATB96

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It sort of depends on who you want to believe, I guess.

According to Heenan and Tenay, Schiavone would get pretty much all the info from the writers/bookers and then keep it to himself because he believed that knowledge was power.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MrBling posted:

It sort of depends on who you want to believe, I guess.

According to Heenan and Tenay, Schiavone would get pretty much all the info from the writers/bookers and then keep it to himself because he believed that knowledge was power.

Wrestling Dilbert.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Tyma posted:

Watching this now, I could really see a worked-MMA-style show being a great WWE alternative. Has nobody tried this yet?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

George Kaplan posted:

Watching this now, I could really see a worked-MMA-style show being a great WWE alternative. Has nobody tried this yet?
TNA did it for their main-event feud of their second-biggest show of the year. It led to the biggest buyrate they've ever done. They dropped the style completely and never did it again.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Tyma posted:

Probably because it doesn't even hit the top 50 of the best matches for the last decade. :confused:

It's definitely the most successful match in TNA history though.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
Whatever happened to that promotion that the Wilpon's were going to start up?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Also did wrestlicious die yet.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Fell through. Most people didn't think it would even get off the ground.

And technically I don't think they're "dead" yet but I can't tell you when the last time they had a show was.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

heel turn posted:

It was probably never going to come to fruition, but Bernie Madoff happened.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

heel turn posted:

Seriously, check the Mets Fan Suicide Thread in SAS. The Wilpons had to borrow 25 million from MLB and they've exhausted the line of credit MLB extends to teams. I doubt they're sinking any major money into a wrestling start up.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
It was a different branch of the family than the one that owns the Mets. The Sean Davis Project promotion just kinda petered out, I don't know if it officially still exists or not.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

crankdatbatman posted:

Is Wrestlemania 2000 the only WM to have a heel win the main event? If so, are there any other major PPVs that have such a history of heels/faces overwhelmingly winning in such a landslide fashion? I would imagine Survivor Series would be more heels winning, considering that would be a good time to build up to the Wrestlemania face win.

Starrcade 1997 was a big cluster gently caress. The NWO(heels) dominated what was supposed to be WCW's revenge show, and what was possibly supposed to be one of the final nails in the NWO's coffin. Sure Sting won the main event, but only after Hogan pinned him clean and convincingly. Plus, Bret Hart suddenly had the power to reverse decisions and restart matches.

Buff pinned the total parcel. Vincent and Norton pinned the goddamn Steiner brothers for christ's sake! Most of the actual talented wrestlers sat in the loving stands.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That other promotion may have died before it started but the Urban Wrestling Federation will pick up the slack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXxpWlJBUfI

I like that they use lots of R-Truth footage in their promotional video. A wrestling fed run by non-wrestling rappers using talent they don't have signed in the promotional video. What could go wrong?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That other promotion may have died before it started but the Urban Wrestling Federation will pick up the slack!

I like that they use lots of R-Truth footage in their promotional video. A wrestling fed run by non-wrestling rappers using talent they don't have signed in the promotional video. What could go wrong?

Nothing says "hardcore" and "urban" like a fat, rich white dude in a suit & glasses sitting on a couch in an office explaining what "hardcore" and "urban" culture is all about.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

It's fun watching late 2000/early 2001 and watching the product and trying to pinpoint the exact moment where they ran out of Chris Kreski's storyboards and had to start booking from scratch. Apart from the resolution of the HHH/Steph/Angle storyline, Steph's early run was alright. It was coherant and there was a lot of continuity. Still had some storyboards left over. But around the Two Man Power Trip vs. Hardyz feud, it all started getting really sloppy and slapdash.

It always amazes me that when WWE decided that it wanted to be more like other TV shows and have Hollywood script writers they got a decent writer and he used the tools of the screenwriter including a show bible for continuity, storyboards and building to a peak to cap off a feud etc so they demote him, get in the bosses daughter, throw out all that stuff that the guy had introduced and decided that hiring people who don't give a poo poo about wrestling and taking away everything familiar to the writers about how to write in a group setting was the way to go since seriously, writing things down? gently caress that noise. Ether you adapt to the group writing process and use the methods developed for that environment or you stick to the booker method developed in Pro Wrestling. Can't have it both ways.

Seriously, is it any wonder the writers don't do anything big outside of the main event? They're having enough trouble remembering the continuity for the main eventers alone, you give the mid card characters personality and stories and you've already got triple the history to remember in your head. If the mid card titles and the tag team titles were made to mean something then something like Wade Barrett and CM Punk standing next to each other in a tag match would look like nothing compared to the poo poo that they would forget.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 28, 2011

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

As soon as Uncle Murder started talking, I was sold.

How do we tell them about Sir William Black?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Kerck Pnameless posted:

How do the ladder matches of other feds compare to WWE's? Because I tend to think of that match-type as their specialty.

I didn't see it mentioned and I haven't watched it in years but Scott Hall vs. Chris Benoit back in WCW was a match I remembered loving. At one point people noticed that Hall was wearing his Razor Ramon elbow pads underneath his plain black ones that lead to a ton of speculation in the IWC of the idea of Hall going back to the WWF then.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

I didn't see it mentioned and I haven't watched it in years but Scott Hall vs. Chris Benoit back in WCW was a match I remembered loving. At one point people noticed that Hall was wearing his Razor Ramon elbow pads underneath his plain black ones that lead to a ton of speculation in the IWC of the idea of Hall going back to the WWF then.

Are you thinking of Scott Hall vs Goldberg? Benoit and Hall never had a ladder match.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

LividLiquid posted:

TNA did it for their main-event feud of their second-biggest show of the year. It led to the biggest buyrate they've ever done. They dropped the style completely and never did it again.
I see you've forgotten AJ Styles vs Frank Trigg. I wish I could...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just watched Backlash 2004 (awwwwwwk-ward!), led me to a couple of questions.

What went wrong with Shelton Benjamin? Dude was great in the ring, had a great persona that came across without saying a word, and he was actually getting a decent push at one point. Where did it go wrong?

What was the deal with Coach? He has a match against Tajiri and actually does some wrestling stuff. Were they trying to turn him into a full on wrestler?

With hindsight, how good is the Foley/Orton match considered to be?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

George Kaplan posted:

isn't this basically what EVOLVE is?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Rarity posted:

What went wrong with Shelton Benjamin? Dude was great in the ring, had a great persona that came across without saying a word, and he was actually getting a decent push at one point. Where did it go wrong?

They turned him heel.

Rarity posted:

What was the deal with Coach? He has a match against Tajiri and actually does some wrestling stuff. Were they trying to turn him into a full on wrestler?

This might have been around the point where he was assistant to the GM and he'd have more matches against Batista and was in the Royal Rumble. WWE wanted Coach to originally face Austin and win their feud.

Rarity posted:

With hindsight, how good is the Foley/Orton match considered to be?

It was Orton's favorite match if that means anything.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Rarity posted:

I listened to a recent interview with him and what I took from it was that it came down to several things; he admittedly said he wasn't great for promo's, although with a guy with his talent I'm sure he could have gotten away with just doing his best and having his in rig performance make up for this. Secondly his pushes never actually took him to the next level, he just never got the opportunity to chase a World Title despite having some great matches with perpetual World Heavyweight Title/WWE Tittle contender ie Shawn Michaels, HHH and the Undertaker.

Thirdly he thought that maybe his reluctance to politic may have held him down as he was never one to lobby for himself he just showed up, did what he was told and did the best he could do in the ring when sometimes it seems like a necessity in the WWE.

I'm sure the Momma angle didn't help his credibility either.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Whatever happened to managers?

I know we see occasional non-wrestler characters like Vickie (and Ricardo, although I'm sure we'll see him in the ring fulltime sooner or later), but some of my favourite wrestling characters from the past weren't fulltime wrestlers at all. Jimmy Hart, Bill Alfonso, Dieter Von Steigerwalt in Chikara, Paul Bearer, Bobby Heenan, people who could get a reaction and talk up an angle for a wrestler who wasn't articulate enough to do it for themselves. There's a ton of guys with considerable in-ring talent who I think could hugely benefit from someone to take the brunt of the promo work.

Is there a reason managers don't seem to be used as much in modern wrestling?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Lamuella posted:

Is there a reason managers don't seem to be used as much in modern wrestling?

Wrestlers in TNA and WWE are expected to be able to talk for themselves.

jeffersonlives posted:

It was a different branch of the family than the one that owns the Mets. The Sean Davis Project promotion just kinda petered out, I don't know if it officially still exists or not.

It's dead, they've passed by the launch date promised to the talent with no word. Someone asked Meltzer on Observer Radio why the wrestlers don't sue for breach of contract and his answer was basically "because it's wrestling."

LightsGameraAction posted:

Nothing says "hardcore" and "urban" like a fat, rich white dude in a suit & glasses sitting on a couch in an office explaining what "hardcore" and "urban" culture is all about.

Isn't that pretty accurate to how the business end of hip hop works?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

Are you thinking of Scott Hall vs Goldberg? Benoit and Hall never had a ladder match.

For some reason I always thought Hall and Benoit had a Ladder Match after the "Guys who wash your car" comment from Hall to Ric Flair. I guess my memory is busted. I somehow remember a Hall/Benoit match that never existed.

I guess Hall and Bam Bam had a ladder/taser match.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 28, 2011

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Lamuella posted:

Dieter Von Steigerwalt in Chikara

Dieter rarely made appearances, and when he did, he didn't talk much. The most "talking" he did was in the blogs that Chikara posts on its website, and a lot of the time, there's debate about whether the wrestlers in question actually wrote them.

Now, Jakob Hammermeier, the hilariously entertaining, easily injured German ring announcer in Chikara, on the other hand. He was basically the inspiration for Ricardo Rodriguez, and like Ricardo, he is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Dieter rarely made appearances, and when he did, he didn't talk much. The most "talking" he did was in the blogs that Chikara posts on its website, and a lot of the time, there's debate about whether the wrestlers in question actually wrote them.

Now, Jakob Hammermeier, the hilariously entertaining, easily injured German ring announcer in Chikara, on the other hand. He was basically the inspiration for Ricardo Rodriguez, and like Ricardo, he is awesome.

I was confusing the two of them. I feel like a prat.