Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There definitely is a difference, well at least for normal people. Would you call a guy who questions the existence of mosquitoes in Bangkok normal? Or that he literally thinks you can walk in the country with 0 cash throwing out common sense and solely relying on some internet comedy forum?

Waltzing Along is a travel idiot and for his own safety needs constant hand holding. He might as well spend some money on a tour guide for a more pleasurable trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

caberham posted:

No joke unfortunately :smith:

One guy died in a motor cycle accident, and another was a bit hazy. It was some drug accident or something? Reindeer met the guy if I remembered correctly. Anyways, tourists naturally tend to do dumb things but it doesn't justify dying on vacation.

Yeah, the mystery death was BigSuave. I still have a bunch of PM's from him. We were going to meet up for a few beers but he died.

Short of emailing his parents, I tried to find out how he died for about a year but there was nothing concrete published. The sad thing is, it happens all the time. I've had friends on Koh Tao die from falling off balconies, motorbike crashes, and dengue.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Finch! posted:

Yeah, the mystery death was BigSuave. I still have a bunch of PM's from him. We were going to meet up for a few beers but he died.

Short of emailing his parents, I tried to find out how he died for about a year but there was nothing concrete published. The sad thing is, it happens all the time. I've had friends on Koh Tao die from falling off balconies, motorbike crashes, and dengue.

Rest in peace BigSuave. I remembered his posts were "yay I'm having fun with goons" and then he's gone :smith:

The PM system is unreliable, if you want to you can try copying and pasting the screen shots.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I met him a few times. I also met he and S-G once. He had a history of recreational drug use and was drinking a bit (no more than me or anyone). Nothing insane, but along with some kind of bad luck or congenital condition it could've been an issue. Really nice guy with a very odd background. I was hoping he'd make it here.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ReindeerF posted:

Speaking of which, who is in town tonight? I forget.

I'm around in Bangna, but not going to be able to get to Nana for burgers.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Bang Na is a bit far! However, if Ganguro King is reading this he might catch it. He's heading in from that direction.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ReindeerF posted:

Bang Na is a bit far! However, if Ganguro King is reading this he might catch it. He's heading in from that direction.

I believe he has a wedding to attend this weekend.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
He's been here about a year, probably time to get forcibly married.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ReindeerF posted:

He's been here about a year, probably time to get forcibly married.

The version I heard was that he was being forced to act as bestman for a person he's never met before.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Any of these things are beyond plausible in Thailand.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Apparently there's a beer festival in Bangna tonight if that tempts you at all.
http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/08/20/drink-some-rare-craft-brews-friday-pink-tender

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You guys can take a time out from hanging at Central!

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

caberham posted:

Rest in peace BigSuave. I remembered his posts were "yay I'm having fun with goons" and then he's gone :smith:

The PM system is unreliable, if you want to you can try copying and pasting the screen shots.

Heh. That's pretty much what happened. PM's are PM's - I'm not going to post them or screenshots of them. He seemed like a nice guy. But yeah, as was said, apparently he did enjoy the substances.

ReindeerF posted:

I met him a few times. I also met he and S-G once. He had a history of recreational drug use and was drinking a bit (no more than me or anyone). Nothing insane, but along with some kind of bad luck or congenital condition it could've been an issue. Really nice guy with a very odd background. I was hoping he'd make it here.

It seemed like he'd fit right in but I had no idea about the drugs until we were talking about him in the past sense.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I didn't mean like share but for archiving. Sorry for confusion

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'm genuinely surprised I wasn't the 3rd dead goon.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ReindeerF posted:

You guys can take a time out from hanging at Central!

Well it's across the street.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

I'm genuinely surprised I wasn't the 3rd dead goon.
Give it time.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

Give it time.

Nah, I'm on a tiny conservative island now, the glorious days of nightclubbing on drugs until 7am are over. You're older than me so your chances are probably higher!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
People don't get hired from outside on your island except to facilitate corruption, so I'm upping your BigSuave score by a few points.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I hope nobody dies :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I hope nobody dies :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syeEKVuIfp4

Cambodia's new tourism slogan.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Has anyone heard from Duckmaster lately?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I was wondering this too. I've namedropped him a couple of times, but nothing. Last we heard he was in love with some chick. Normally that ends with him falling off the wagon hardcore, her leaving and then him coming back to the forum to sulk a bit. He's only been out of touch like three weeks, give it some time!

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Yeah, he is (was?) in love with an American girl and asked for advice getting a working visa (though he wouldn't say for where).

I just miss his antics a bit.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I met Big Suave too. We found out about his death from an obit that just mentioned he had died in Thailand. He mentioned to me a couple of times while I was there that he regularly used benzos recreationally (stuff like Valium or ativan) and he was drinking a fair bit. Those two don't pair well and my personal opinion is that while I don't know for sure it's possible he had little too much of both and died in his sleep of respiratory failure (they can knock out your automatic breathing instinct).

The first time I was in Thailand I found work and ended up staying for two years. For the first month of my job I was away from the center of the city and scrambling around with various logistical stuff and ended up forgetting to call mom for a month (my SIM didn't allow for international calls). The embassy actually contacted me and told me I should probably call her. For that reason I actually contacted Big Suaves parents through an email on the obit and just told them he was having a good time when we met and forwarded some of our PMs. There was no way I was going to pry and it's possible that a thorough exam was never done in any case due to logistical and emotional reasons on the part of the family. It's normal to want to know why someone you know has died but of course only family really has a right to that information.

Chair Huxtable posted:

Has anyone heard from Duckmaster lately?

We were making fun of Duckmaster maybe a bit more than he deserved. It's also possible that he just went home to work or whatever and as such left the thread as well.

If you need a Santa hat try Reindeer's tailor maybe.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 22, 2014

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

People don't get hired from outside on your island except to facilitate corruption, so I'm upping your BigSuave score by a few points.

I don't work with banks and I don't know anybody who does! But I'll take that as a compliment and do my best to find debauchery wherever it is.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

He mentioned to me a couple of times while I was there that he regularly used benzos recreationally (stuff like Valium or ativan) and he was drinking a fair bit.
Yeah, he and I spent a couple of long nights on the piss like this in addition to when you and I and he all met and it was definitely his thing. He wasn't like obsessive about it like a TCC crackhead, just his little drug habit. And, yeah, a very bad combo. Still, he never swallowed any pills when I was around, he just talked about getting them and asked how to get more. He was hoping to be a chef somewhere local. Maybe could've worked, I dunno. A bit goony, but a very nice young man. It was too bad.

As for the autopsy, in Bangkok it's mandatory when a furriner dies (also because they get to bill someone for it and won't release the body until you pay), but up in The Lanna Kingdom they're probably more lax about things.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
I was on valium, dicodin, weed and drinking heavily in Cambodia. Should've died. Maybe the cocaine/meth kept me alive.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Here for the temples.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

cent0r posted:

I was on valium, dicodin, weed and drinking heavily in Cambodia. Should've died. Maybe the cocaine/meth kept me alive.

Better to be lucky than good.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
^ I used to mix benzos and alcohol all the time when the ambien stopped working just to get some goddamn sleep. If dumb were a death sentence, I wouldn't have made it out of the interior of British Columbia alive.

I probably shouldn't have been hanging around protest sites alone in Bangkok, but tour groups are a totally different experience than roaming solo. I started my trip with a tour to get my bearings, but after that figured I was about as safe as I am at home. (Where someone's been stringing wire across bike paths, a body just turned up in the park we run festivals in, and deer regularly fling themselves at my car windshield.)

Generally I'd just suggest that if it would be stupid and unsafe to do at home, it's stupid and unsafe to do it on vacation. Watched a lot of early-twenties kiddies do some pretty loving retarded things because ~vacation~, however. There's a collective-behaviour mentality that kicks in along with vacation-anonymity and suddenly people are building stuff like the Death Slide at Vang Vieng, sea diving with zero safety protocol, or loving Pattaya prostitutes without a condom because SEA isn't the real world.

I miss Duck too. He had an apartment in Siem Reap so if he dies in his sleep he won't ping as hard on the tourist-done-died radar as hard as someone in a hotel room, I think.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 22, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Duck master come back. I missed his e/n thread about choosing his first prostitute and one of the candidates looked like his mom. Can someone please give him a call or private message besides forums?

cent0r posted:

If only you died instead of big suave.

Because your posting is terrible.

I'm totally kidding around making stupid jokes. Seriously, all goons stay safe. I tried happy pizza in Cambodia solo/ with other tourists and regretted it. Don't do things because of cost. Anyways put yourself in a safe controlled environment.

Which is sometimes impossible with mosquitos in Bangkok. Or crazy traffic patterns.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

caberham posted:

Duck master come back. I missed his e/n thread about choosing his first prostitute and one of the candidates looked like his mom. Can someone please give him a call or private message besides forums?

I've got his email somewhere. Lemme kick it and see what happens.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
don't worry idiots thread superstar duckmaster returns

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
No majorly hilarious antics to report I'm afraid. American girl hates me now because she found out I'm a drug riddled alcoholic fool. How I kept it a secret that long (two weeks) is beyond me. It doesn't matter though cos I'm a sex machine and I'll just find another one.

Going home on the 5th though :( In Bangkok from the 1st to the 4th if anyone wants a night of debauchery.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

duckmaster posted:

No majorly hilarious antics to report I'm afraid. American girl hates me now because she found out I'm a drug riddled alcoholic fool. How I kept it a secret that long (two weeks) is beyond me. It doesn't matter though cos I'm a sex machine and I'll just find another one.

Going home on the 5th though :( In Bangkok from the 1st to the 4th if anyone wants a night of debauchery.

You sound like a cool guy. I'll be in Bangkok as of Monday morning and may have a free night 1st-4th.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckmaster posted:

Yes. This should be a thing. Except I just check my calendar and I'll be knee deep in finishing up my TESOL, so no, it won't be.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

duckmaster posted:

Hey man, I'll arrive in bangkok on the 3rd of september (morning flight). Leaving for the islands on the 5th.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yay fuckmaster is alive.

Never stop posting goons. (Unless you want an internet stranger worry about you dying)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
I'm going to post "Yay, i'm in bangkok and heading for a party!" And then never post again.