Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
uhhh you can't even djent with those lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Schpyder posted:

:psypop: holy poo poo that website

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Haha, the site is awful. But I like the little mini rails drat it.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I wonder if there would be any money in selling pickups through a clean, well-designed site with the ad copy for each one just saying "This is a re-branded Artec. For $30 it will do just fine."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

TL:DR Dragonfire pickups kinda suck and ruined my day, buy something else if you want cheap pickups. I have Guitar heads mini rails in the neck and bridge of my strat, with a Guitar Fetish lipstick pickup in the middle, and I love them. Much better cheap pickup options IMO.

They're all made by Artec.:ssh:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Orthogonalus posted:

(incidentally, I also play in D-standard and everyone kept commenting on how rich and full my guitar sounds (even though it's a cheap-o Ibanez), COINCIDENCE??)

I don't know what it is about that tuning but it's really doing it for me right now. Reinvigorated me and my ideas are matching up with the feel of the fretboard just right. The sound thing is pretty funny though. My Esteban sounds very full and warm now. I wouldn't even be opposed to recording with it sometime. Still itching for a nice Martin/Gibson/Seagull/pickabrandIprobablywantone though. Add that to the rest of my dumb gas list I suppose.

Cool hearing about everyone's acoustic habits. I always considered mine a side thing. Something I'd have around or only pick up every few months. It took me a while but after years of obsessing over the acoustic/resonant qualities of every solid body (and don't think I won't keep that up forever!) I think I've finally realized to stop ignoring the instruments where the wood/construction can really shine through directly.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Schpyder posted:

:psypop: holy poo poo that website

The mobile site looks like it's hosted by geocities.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Ferrous Wheel posted:

I wonder if there would be any money in selling pickups through a clean, well-designed site with the ad copy for each one just saying "This is a re-branded Artec. For $30 it will do just fine."

You probably could. I've bought a stupid amount of cheap (apparently Artec) pickups. I like messing around with stuff on my guitars. .

Just go start posting about your new site on TGP and all those sites to spark interest.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't know what it is about that tuning but it's really doing it for me right now. Reinvigorated me and my ideas are matching up with the feel of the fretboard just right.

I've been keeping one of my guitars in D-standard and it's really not doing anything for me. I worked on some jazz stuff (like I suggested to you a couple days ago) but other than that it just means I have to play a full step higher on anything I already know. :shrug: Plus it seems like I run out of fretboard at the top way more than I need those two extra notes on the bottom. I must be doing it wrong but I've no idea what I'm supposed to be doing

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
tune CGDGAD or DAEABE all day erry day

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Friend had a spare Pure90 from BG pickups lying around. Tossed it to me to try out.

The victim, my 2014 LPJ.

In god's country now.

...and it was already too late to fire up the tube amp since the kids were in bed. :argh:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Fun news, I'm trying to broker the sale of a 1956 Les Paul goldtop. The owner wants too much for it, in the neighborhood of 50k, but the market hasn't been bearing that kind of price for this instrument for a while. Everyone seems to think they're worth this much money, but finding a buyer is difficult.

I'm just hoping we can work something out, because I want my commission.

I'll try and get some pictures.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i really hate how much old les pauls go for. it's dumb

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

Am I wrong for laughing at spending more than $1500 on a guitar?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No but I totally intend to buy a blackmachine someday and that's gonna be like 6 grand or something lovely. you have my permission to laugh at my retard rear end when this happens

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I changed the strings on my guitar and the intonation is out, it gets sharper as I go up the neck and Rocksmith is struggling to detect the notes properly. I'm guessing I used different strings gauges to the old ones. anyway, I checked my neck and it doesn't seem like the truss needs adjusting so I think it's just the bridge. It looks like this:

Can anyone tell me how I adjust these?

Also on the left side you can see a little bit of red plastic which is under the bottom two strings, I'm guessing the previous owner put them there, should I remove that and readjust it or what?

I don't have a guitar shop near me and don't drive so getting it to a shop could be difficult right now. I'm happy to try it myself as long as I don't break the thing. But if it's a terrible idea I won't. Any advice?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If the action adjustment screws on the saddle have enough play to get them to the same height without using that piece of plastic, then yeah, remove it.

As far as the intonation goes, you're going to slacken the string, undo the bolt in the middle of the saddle there. If there's a screw underneath the saddles, parallel to the base plate, you adjust from there, otherwise just scooch the saddle. If the 12th fret is too sharp, move away from the headstock. If it's too flat, move towards. After that, test it, and when it's finally in the right place, lock it back down.

Also try to make them all straight and parallel which the previous owner didn't do I guess

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

muike posted:

What kind of irks me is how much people will pay for some of the Fender/Gibson guitars during their poorer eras of manufacture, because since it is old it just must sound better.

vOv

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Spanish Manlove posted:

Most I ever plan on spending on a guitar is however much a Reverend goes for when I finally decide to get one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Schpyder posted:

Most I ever plan on spending on a guitar is however much a Reverend goes for when I finally decide to get one.

Get a sensei with railhammers

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

muike posted:

Get a sensei with railhammers

Elderly over in East Lansing has one in satin red and it's soooo awesome hnnnnnngggggg

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

If the action adjustment screws on the saddle have enough play to get them to the same height without using that piece of plastic, then yeah, remove it.

As far as the intonation goes, you're going to slacken the string, undo the bolt in the middle of the saddle there. If there's a screw underneath the saddles, parallel to the base plate, you adjust from there, otherwise just scooch the saddle. If the 12th fret is too sharp, move away from the headstock. If it's too flat, move towards. After that, test it, and when it's finally in the right place, lock it back down.

Also try to make them all straight and parallel which the previous owner didn't do I guess
Thanks. I think I need some kind of allen key to release those so I'll have to figure out what size it is and order one from somewhere. There's a screw in the end of each one, yeah, which looks to use the same size allen key.

Another question, I just watched a video which said that the bridge is supposed to be parallel to the body and not touching it. Is that true for all bridges? Mine is resting on the guitar on the non-string side:

Hard to get a good photo but hopefully that shows it. Do I need to adjust the tension via the back panel to fix this?

I don't even use the whammy. Should have got a guitar without this poo poo I guess.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you don't use it, I'd leave it as is. If you made the baseplate parallel to the body, it'd be floating, meaning if you put your palm down on it, you'd likely push it down and bend your strings up if you're a huge mong like me.

And m8 get a poo poo ton of allen keys at your local hardware story or something i don't know how you don't already have a zillion

edit: ok now that I have a better look at this poo poo, I would actually make it parallel, but if you don't intend to use it, put something under the baseplate or just block the trem block in back from moving. If you do that, you won't have to use that piece of red plastic anymore, but you'll probably have to set your action all over again.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I too am a huge mong at guitar so I'll leave it, cool. I think I only have bigger allen keys but I'll check, might have a tiny one. I think I'm good now anyway, thanks again.

Edit: Saw your edit, I'll see what I can do. Might end up having to take it to someone who knows what they're doing but I'll give it a go myself first.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No problem, but definitely do keep in mind what I said about maybe trying it parallel and that red piece of plastic in mind.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Synonamess Botch posted:

I've been keeping one of my guitars in D-standard and it's really not doing anything for me. I worked on some jazz stuff (like I suggested to you a couple days ago) but other than that it just means I have to play a full step higher on anything I already know. :shrug: Plus it seems like I run out of fretboard at the top way more than I need those two extra notes on the bottom. I must be doing it wrong but I've no idea what I'm supposed to be doing

It doesn't have to be for everyone. I support the idea that as a musician you should branch out in as many ways as you can in the name of knowledge, I also believe if you want to evolve you have to know your feel and what you like. If your ears and fingers and brain aren't connecting with D standard try a few open tunings on your way to coming home to E. Worst case scenario you'll have a fresh look at your playing and will realize how well your favorite tuning works for you.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
From some videos I saw, the height of each saddle should roughly make it follow the curvature of the neck shouldn't it? So jamming something in there to make the height on all of them close from the saddle side might be working against you.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Well yeah that's what the individual height adjustment screws are for, not the trem baseplate.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

If this is how you're supposed to do intonation on a floyd rose as well, then god drat that's a pain in the rear end.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Kilometers Davis posted:

If your ears and fingers and brain aren't connecting with D standard

Can you explain what you mean by this? Not being snarky I honestly don't understand. When I play in D-standard the only thing I'm feeling is that I have to play a E to hear a D and so forth.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tunga posted:

Can anyone tell me how I adjust these?

The bigger black screws behind each string are for adjusting the intonation- loosen them up a little to shift the individual saddles back and forth, though you have to detune the string a bit so it doesn't slide forward from the tension. The screws in Wilkinson trems tend to strip kinda easily, so don't over tighten them. The two tiny screws on each side of every string at the front of each saddle toward the pickup adjust the height of the saddle. You want to have the saddle heights roughly match the fretboard's radius. you can buy fancy radius gauges or print some out on heavy card backing.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

muike posted:

Well, things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. I feel like it's fairly impersonal.

There's around 1700 or so 58-59 Les Pauls, so they're not very common.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Tunga posted:

Thanks. I think I need some kind of allen key to release those so I'll have to figure out what size it is and order one from somewhere. There's a screw in the end of each one, yeah, which looks to use the same size allen key.

Another question, I just watched a video which said that the bridge is supposed to be parallel to the body and not touching it. Is that true for all bridges? Mine is resting on the guitar on the non-string side:

Hard to get a good photo but hopefully that shows it. Do I need to adjust the tension via the back panel to fix this?

I don't even use the whammy. Should have got a guitar without this poo poo I guess.

If it's not a problem for you then leave it. That has to do with the floating trem and how much spring tension you have on it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

If this is how you're supposed to do intonation on a floyd rose as well, then god drat that's a pain in the rear end.

Floyds have a special tool that fits behind the saddle with a thumbscrew to push or pull the saddle forwards or backwards.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I've never had a strat trem stay in tune without providing enough spring tension to lock them flat against the body.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nope. Just be glad you're not playing an instrument where US$1500 is maybe a decent beginner instrument, like tenor sax.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I got my Japanese Gold Top up for sale/trade in the Gear thread if anyone is interested.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

I too am a huge mong at guitar so I'll leave it, cool. I think I only have bigger allen keys but I'll check, might have a tiny one. I think I'm good now anyway, thanks again.

Edit: Saw your edit, I'll see what I can do. Might end up having to take it to someone who knows what they're doing but I'll give it a go myself first.

Intonation's pretty easy, it just takes a bit of patience is all. Although that setup looks a bit awkward... but basically where the string touches the saddle is the 'end' of the string (the end of the vibrating part). If it's getting sharper as you move up the neck, the string is too short (which makes all the notes a higher pitch), so you need to lengthen it by moving the saddle back a bit.

Just get a decent tuner, slacken the string a bit and move the saddle, tune up the open string and check the fretted notes, keep adjusting until it's behaving itself. Bad bridge intonation gets more pronounced as you go up the neck, because the error in the string length becomes a larger fraction of the overall length of the vibrating bit, so check the higher frets to make sure they sound nice

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Sockington posted:

...and it was already too late to fire up the tube amp since the kids were in bed. :argh:

drat right. Just dug this up the other day, I think I mentioned it, and my god, the sounds we are making together.
Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Pulled the trigger on a used Tiny Terror on guitar center's site. Classed as "Excellent" (so I'm assuming it was a return) for $89 bucks. Now all I need is a speaker cabinet for it. Any suggestions for something less costly than the 8 inch orange it's normally paired with, or should I just keep an eye on the used listings for one of those? Being on a self imposed budget of under $200 for gear purchases gets rough when you're getting the good stuff.