Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Duckman2008 posted:

My iPhone 5 is for sale, PM if you are interested.

If there are no cracks then a repair center should swap it for $50.

They fixed it for $50. I didn't add the insurance because I've never had an issue that was outside of warranty coverage until now and I would have paid more for the insurance than it cost to fix it at this point since I've had it for more than five months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

It's great he doesn't mind the diminishing returns from a non-replaceable battery and he can't expand his storage if he suddenly decides to load his entire MP3 collection to his phone.

Guess which phone I'm not getting?

Hopefully we'll some day have the technology to listen to our music collections via some sort of wireless connection on our cell phones. One day :allears:

Until then, my evo3d got an update from Sprint the other day and now Swype doesn't work. Good job!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

moolchaba posted:

It's great he doesn't mind the diminishing returns from a non-replaceable battery and he can't expand his storage if he suddenly decides to load his entire MP3 collection to his phone.

Guess which phone I'm not getting?

To be fair, he's been rocking an iphone, which has neither of those things.

The only thing I might miss is the SD slot but I'm not sure it's a dealbreaker. Especially with a killer camera and non poo poo sound as the trade off.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

zer0spunk posted:

To be fair, he's been rocking an iphone, which has neither of those things.

The only thing I might miss is the SD slot but I'm not sure it's a dealbreaker. Especially with a killer camera and non poo poo sound as the trade off.

My biggest worry would be that it's already releasing with an outdated version of android and HTC's history of software updates isn't the best. Oh sure, it'll get 4.2. But key lime pie? Don't hold your breath on that one.

And I'm pretty sure that the whole "Beats Audio" thing is just an EQ setting.

Also has HTC ever fixed the problem where its memory management is super aggressive and kills pretty much all of your background apps?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

So my SERO Premium plan is eligible for an upgrade, but when I try to visit the store to get a new phone, it dumps me back to an empty cart every time I try to look at anything other than the front page. Did they change it so new SERO orders have to be done by phone or something? I need to get off of WiMax sooner or later.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

thelightguy posted:

So my SERO Premium plan is eligible for an upgrade, but when I try to visit the store to get a new phone, it dumps me back to an empty cart every time I try to look at anything other than the front page. Did they change it so new SERO orders have to be done by phone or something? I need to get off of WiMax sooner or later.

Plan changes have to be called in. You're going from SERO Premium-Wimax to SERO Premium-LTE.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

tomguycot posted:

My biggest worry would be that it's already releasing with an outdated version of android and HTC's history of software updates isn't the best. Oh sure, it'll get 4.2. But key lime pie? Don't hold your breath on that one.

And I'm pretty sure that the whole "Beats Audio" thing is just an EQ setting.

I figure HTC is good for at least one major upgrade. The evo3d shipped with GB and then got ICS later down the line. Knowing HTC it won't be timely, but it won't be stuck on 4.1 for its entire life either.

The beats thing is pointless, but the phone has front facing speakers with stereo separation. I'm not looking for a boombox or anything but it's miles ahead of cupping your hand over the back of the phone.

There's always a tradeoff for some reason. You can go nexus if you want weaker hardware in exchange for faster updates (but we're CDMA devices anyway, so that's kind of moot), or you can choose between whatever phone has 80% of what you want hardware wise.

In the future maybe we'll get a phone that is

-Built with decent materials
-Is expandable storage wise
-uses usb 3 instead of 2
-has a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect
-has a decently sized removable battery
-is light and thin
-has front firing speakers
-has a camera that is excellent in low light + OIS
-has a physical shutter button
-has global frequencies for folks who travel

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but is there a way to SIM unlock (for international use) a 4S on Sprint without involving them in the process?

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 23, 2013

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

zer0spunk posted:

Just to nitpick here but the Evo3d has this and it's loving terrible. If you use it you'll just gently caress up your shot. All I use it for is to launch the camera app.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

zer0spunk posted:

In the future maybe we'll get a phone that is

-Built with decent materials
-Is expandable storage wise
-uses usb 3 instead of 2
-has a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect
-has a decently sized removable battery
-is light and thin
-has front firing speakers
-has a camera that is excellent in low light + OIS
-has global frequencies for folks who travel

Now that's just crazy talk... actually I kind of wish Motorola would release something like the Razr Maxx HD for Sprint. Those phones are probably the closest to "perfect" for my needs of things that actually exist. Though while we're wishlisting it wouldn't hurt for Motorola to give them an amazing camera either.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I was on Sprint for a few years up until the iPhone 4 was released, at which point I switched to AT&T. My biggest gripe with Sprint has always been the poor building penetration of their cellular frequency. I would always have to be near an outside wall or window of my house in order to make a phone call.

Given the Network Vision overhaul and LTE rollout to all of its towers, is this an issue that will be fixed once that's complete? I would like to switch back to Sprint both because of the price and the true unlimited data.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

fknlo posted:

Hopefully we'll some day have the technology to listen to our music collections via some sort of wireless connection on our cell phones.

Yes. In a perfect world where the Sprint network had no dark spots/overtaxed towers causing 3G to become 1X-like and WiFi/cell tower signals are readily available on all commercial flights.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Venkmanologist posted:

I was on Sprint for a few years up until the iPhone 4 was released, at which point I switched to AT&T. My biggest gripe with Sprint has always been the poor building penetration of their cellular frequency. I would always have to be near an outside wall or window of my house in order to make a phone call.

Given the Network Vision overhaul and LTE rollout to all of its towers, is this an issue that will be fixed once that's complete? I would like to switch back to Sprint both because of the price and the true unlimited data.

Yes, once Nextel is decommissioned its nice low frequency will be used and it should penetrate buildings just fine.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

bobula posted:

Plan changes have to be called in. You're going from SERO Premium-Wimax to SERO Premium-LTE.

And try to avoid doing it through the store unless you have no other option.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Anyone have any experience with Asurion and the Galaxy Nexus? My screen got cracked, and I recieved the refurbed phone the next day. Only problem is the refurb's screen quality is really really bad. Like I'd almost rather just use my cracked screen.

Asurion is sending another phone out to me, but now I'm worried that the screen problem is going to be the phone.

Anyone replaced their Gnex and had any problems?

edit: Shaky dark photo for comparison.

Cracked screen on the left. Asurion replacement on the left.

Both are using same color and gamma CM10.1 presets. And same brightness.

Sperg Victorious fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 23, 2013

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Technogeek posted:

And try to avoid doing it through the store unless you have no other option.

Okay, so I have to order the new phone over the phone too?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For SERO users it's a far safer bet to order by phone or online. Store employees often either outright can't deal with SERO plans, or don't know how and could lose you your SERO.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Lovie Unsmith posted:

For SERO users it's a far safer bet to order by phone or online. Store employees often either outright can't deal with SERO plans, or don't know how and could lose you your SERO.

Corporate store employees can do it but most will not know how to do it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Well the nearest corporate store is like 50 miles from me, so that's not something i could do anyway (I live in an area served by a mess of franchisees.) I was just confused because the online store no longer works.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Just call in. Telesales will be perfectly happy to help you, and they'll match any prices (and free shipping) advertised on sprint.com if you ask nicely.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I have 2 S3's that I got for 99 cents on Black Friday with a 2 year contract obv. I just went to war with customer service over a billing and service issue and I have now made up my mind that I need to sever my Sprint relationship as quickly and efficiently as possible. Any tips on getting them to lower the $350 ETF on each phone? A stream of F-bombs toward the customer service rep didn't seem to do the trick. I realize that my timing on this is basically as lovely as possible, since the S4 was just announced and I'm only 6 months into a 2 year contract.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

coronaball posted:

I have 2 S3's that I got for 99 cents on Black Friday with a 2 year contract obv. I just went to war with customer service over a billing and service issue and I have now made up my mind that I need to sever my Sprint relationship as quickly and efficiently as possible. Any tips on getting them to lower the $350 ETF on each phone? A stream of F-bombs toward the customer service rep didn't seem to do the trick. I realize that my timing on this is basically as lovely as possible, since the S4 was just announced and I'm only 6 months into a 2 year contract.

S3 will still be a good phone even when the S4 comes out. You can do some work to roam on Verizon which might get you better service and if you use enough data they might let you out of the contact with no ETF (read back in the thread about that).

Any reason you don't just sell the phones, pay the etf, and go on?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...=item3380de8626

First sold Sprint S3 I found was for $330(granted with fees you'll clear more like $270), close enough to $350 to not worry too much.

You can also always try the exec email group that Sprint has (Dan@Sprint.com). Supposedly they are pretty responsive/customer oriented if you're case is legit.

Also WTF happened?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

coronaball posted:

That's because a string of angry f-bombs is going to get you ignored.

Just root and swap the PRL to Verizon's then tether your balls off on both devices. They'll cancel you pretty fast if you abuse it hard enough. Stream Netflix on your PlayStation or something.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

That's because a string of angry f-bombs is going to get you ignored.

Just root and swap the PRL to Verizon's then tether your balls off on both devices. They'll cancel you pretty fast if you abuse it hard enough. Stream Netflix on your PlayStation or something.

But then isn't Verizon going to get mad at him?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Just to nitpick here but the Evo3d has this and it's loving terrible. If you use it you'll just gently caress up your shot. All I use it for is to launch the camera app.

Yeah, it was one of the things I wanted the Evo 3D for - but they made the switches on it so stiff that it's useless. A real hardware shutter button is recessed with very light pressure required, not protruding with switches you get an audible 'click' from pressing.

Edit: No, Verizon won't give a gently caress because a) I don't think they see or care who the individual person is that's roaming and b) Sprint pays them for roaming usage, as far as I know. Sprint boots you because if you roam a lot, you very quickly become an unprofitable customer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

coronaball posted:

Yeah, just want to reiterate that F-bombs are really counter productive, so please avoid those when interacting with service reps in the future.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, just want to reiterate that F-bombs are really counter productive, so please avoid those when interacting with service reps in the future.

Never in my life have I cursed at a customer service rep before, but this guy was so snarky and curt that it set me off.

Me: What is the ETF for the devices?
:butt: $350 for each line
Me: I've heard that can be negotiated
:butt: I'm not able to bargain on the termination fees
Me: I've heard from friends that it's possible
:butt: That's nice
Me: :ssj:

I realize the S3 is and will continue to be a good phone even after the S4 comes out, that's not the issue. It's Sprint's terrible service. The phone is almost useless indoors. It barely works in my house. It doesn't work at the grocery store. It doesn't work at Arco Arena. I was in Vegas last week inside of loving Harrah's and it's roaming. When you combine the awful coverage with the worst customer service in the history of American consumerism, it makes me want to cancel. I could get 2 Nexus 4s and T-Mobile's $30 plan and be paying literally 1/3rd of what I currently pay for superior coverage.

Anyway, the root/tether idea sounds like a good option.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

coronaball posted:

When you combine the awful coverage
Is T-Mo actually going to be any better?

There's two reasons you're having coverage issues with Sprint:
  • Difficulty of building penetration on 1900 (Sprint & T-Mo) vs 800 bands (Verizon and AT&T, although Sprint actually has spectrum to deploy in here, T-Mo doesn't).
  • Coverage at sporting venues is always awful, except for Verzion and sometime AT&T where they actually install infrastructure in the venue themselves.

coronaball posted:

with the worst customer service in the history of American consumerism,
Did you come to this conclusion before or after trying to "negotiate" over the ETF?

Seriously, there's little (really, no) room to negotiate on ETFs unless the account holder is deceased (and his/her estate can produce a death certificate) or is a service member leaving for deployment.

PRL hack if you want. Although, even reasonable interpretations of 18 USC §1029 makes it a felony, although folks here have done it without issue. OTOH, you have two perfectly viables phones that command decent resale, so you could also sell them and make up much of the ETF costs.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
ETF's are non-negotiable. You knew that going in, or you blatantly ignored the line on the service contract saying $325 decreasing $5 a month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

ETF's are non-negotiable. You knew that going in, or you blatantly ignored the line on the service contract saying $325 decreasing $5 a month.

True, although Sprints ETFs do suck more than that actually: it starts at $350 and goes down $10 a month only starting after 6 months.

You still accept the conditions and its his own fault, but it still isn't exactly the fairest deal.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

coronaball posted:

It's Sprint's terrible service. The phone is almost useless indoors. It barely works in my house. It doesn't work at the grocery store. It doesn't work at Arco Arena.

Ah, you live in the Sacramento area huh? I too am having the same problems but my ETF is only $50 right now till July and as soon as the S4 is available on ATT I am loving gone.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

coronaball posted:

Never in my life have I cursed at a customer service rep before, but this guy was so snarky and curt that it set me off.

Me: What is the ETF for the devices?
:butt: $350 for each line
Me: I've heard that can be negotiated
:butt: I'm not able to bargain on the termination fees
Me: I've heard from friends that it's possible
:butt: That's nice
Me: :ssj:

I realize the S3 is and will continue to be a good phone even after the S4 comes out, that's not the issue. It's Sprint's terrible service. The phone is almost useless indoors. It barely works in my house. It doesn't work at the grocery store. It doesn't work at Arco Arena. I was in Vegas last week inside of loving Harrah's and it's roaming. When you combine the awful coverage with the worst customer service in the history of American consumerism, it makes me want to cancel. I could get 2 Nexus 4s and T-Mobile's $30 plan and be paying literally 1/3rd of what I currently pay for superior coverage.

Anyway, the root/tether idea sounds like a good option.

I was actually in Vegas last night, at Harrah's on my Gnex and I had 3 bars and no issues browsing the internet. Weird.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Anonomono posted:

But then isn't Verizon going to get mad at him?

What for?

Hes trying to get OUT of sprint contracts, This ist he SPRINT thread, and If he flashes the Verizon PRLs to his SPRINT phones, they will eventually kick him off if he goes hard on data roaming for a month or two.

If thats not what he was talking about. poo poo my bad. But thats what I gathered from his post

If anything. its win win for verizon. They help him cut his contract to move to reds network, Plus charge sprint for doing it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Looks like Sprint and I are entering into the 'passive-aggressive notes left for each other' phase of our relationship.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Woohoo! GS3 update this morning!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Woohoo! GS3 update this morning!

First update that's actually appeared for me on my rooted/flashed device. Man, this nagging every 15 mins is annoying.
e: bah, it's MB1. I had my hopes up that it was 4.2.

WoG fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 26, 2013

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

The Entire Universe posted:

Looks like Sprint and I are entering into the 'passive-aggressive notes left for each other' phase of our relationship.

Uh oh, I just looked at my usage and it says the same at 2.7 gigs :O I didn't mean to leave the Verizon PRL on for so long, but it's just so nice and fast...

e: I looked at my sister's and it says the same at 7 megs of usage. I guess it just says that these days.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
How in the world do I install sprint_diagnostics.zip so I can switch between PRLs? I need detailed instructions or something because I'm apparently an idiot who can't figure it out. I'm on a rooted GS3 but running odexed or deodexed Samsung TW. :(

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

thisdude23 posted:

How in the world do I install sprint_diagnostics.zip so I can switch between PRLs? I need detailed instructions or something because I'm apparently an idiot who can't figure it out. I'm on a rooted GS3 but running odexed or deodexed Samsung TW. :(
That's probably a zip you'd flash from recovery.

May not be necessary at all, though -- I've changed my gs3 prl by copying the file* to /storage/sdcard0/TEST.prl, then opening the dialer, typing ##DATA#, and clicking 'View' -> 'PRL Write'. It'll reboot, then you can check the version in Settings -> About Device -> Status. This will likely take 3 or 4 tries to work.

*(the #####.prl file, that is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WoG posted:

That's probably a zip you'd flash from recovery.

May not be necessary at all, though -- I've changed my gs3 prl by copying the file* to /storage/sdcard0/TEST.prl, then opening the dialer, typing ##DATA#, and clicking 'View' -> 'PRL Write'. It'll reboot, then you can check the version in Settings -> About Device -> Status. This will likely take 3 or 4 tries to work.

*(the #####.prl file, that is)

This post is a Correct Post. While you can switch between PRLs without Sprint Diagnostics, to do so you need to constantly be renaming PRLs to test.prl, placing them in the root directory of your SD card, punching in the dialer code, and having to wait for a restart. Sprint Diagnostics allows you to just place all your PRL files in a directory somewhere, no need to rename them, and then select the PRL you want from a menu in the app. It also switches between PRLs without restarting as it simply restarts the radio (equivalent to toggling airplane mode on/off).