Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I genuinely can't see the issue with that cable other than it looks a bit kinked. Mine has nothing like that after the split like people in that thread are saying and that's after 6 months of regular use and a normal home of in a ball on my desk. If the cable was breaking that would be one thing but "it looks a bit untidy after a while" isn't exactly grounds for replacement in my mind.

Dogen posted:

I felt like the build quality poo poo might have been some dog whistle racism, but wasn’t sure.

Pretty sure Hifiman are an American company so I don't know where this might come from. I've heard stories about Hifiman's QA and issues with unit variance for sure.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Passburger
May 4, 2013

njsykora posted:

I genuinely can't see the issue with that cable other than it looks a bit kinked. Mine has nothing like that after the split like people in that thread are saying and that's after 6 months of regular use and a normal home of in a ball on my desk. If the cable was breaking that would be one thing but "it looks a bit untidy after a while" isn't exactly grounds for replacement in my mind.

Pretty sure Hifiman are an American company so I don't know where this might come from. I've heard stories about Hifiman's QA and issues with unit variance for sure.

"
Contact Info

customerservice@hifiman.com
Phone: 1-201-HIFIMAN
(1-201-443-4626)
Head-Direct (kun shan) Corporation.
#2001, C1, 2F. Yingbin Road, Bacheng county,
Kunshan city, Jiangsu Prov. 215300, China
0512-50190018

"

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Hifiman is 100% a Chinese company lol. And they did have quite a bit of QC issues in the past, but is much better now.

I feel like I need to train my neck for when wearing my LCD-2s sometimes, it's pretty hefty especially if you're switching to it from lighter headphones

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Rakeris posted:

I had the chance to borrow a used LCD-X from a coworker....were talking about headphones I mentioned I have 990s and like them etc. He was like if you like the 990s give these a go, take em for a few days and give them a test drive.

Holy poo poo fam. Playing a few random songs and I got literal chills on Adele Hello. Like I'm sort of blown that headphones can sound this good. My dac and amp is nothing special either, d10 and OG atom.

Like gently caress I want a pair, but also makes me wonder what else is out there, and also makes me think I shouldn't even look... Cause gently caress that is a chunk of money.

They're great headphones and were my first high-end pair. I ultimately ended preferring the pre-Stealth HiFiMan Aryas the most, but the LCD-X still can't be beat for just making music astonishingly fun to listen to, even more so than the Focal Clears.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dogen posted:

I felt like the build quality poo poo might have been some dog whistle racism, but wasn’t sure.

There was certainly a bunch of that a few years ago but also they really did earn a reputation for having dogshit build quality.

they're much, much, much MUCH better now.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've had my ATH-M50X for almost 8 years now, they've been through pad and headband replacements and also have a mod mic on them which has served me real well, super happy.

But recently I've been using this Jabra Evolve 75 Headset, purely for work purposes (meetings and music). Since I recently got a standing desk the wireless part is super good, I can switch positions without worrying about cables and can pace around the room during meetings. Also the ANC is so loving good and I'm mad I've been living without it. Putting them on removes the background hum of the AC and the various PC fans. I'm only borrowing these so I have to give them back at some point, plus I sort of hate on-ear so wouldn't want them permanently anyway...

So uh, is there such a thing as:
  • Roughly on par with ATH-M50X/Mod Mic (or better obviously)
  • Wireless both bluetooth and with a USB dongle.
  • Headset/Mic built in so I don't have to charge seperately.
  • Comfortable padded over ear.
  • ANC at least as good as the Jabra set.
Buget is sort of whatever I guess, as long as it ticks all the boxes... Was hoping to be able to just have one set I can use for both work (meetings/music) and random co-op gaming.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
There's always the over ear version of the Jabra - I think the 85?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

There's always the over ear version of the Jabra - I think the 85?

I own it, the Elite 85h. I think it does everything the OP asked for, but I don’t think it sounds as good as the ATH. It looks cool, though, especially the blue version.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
What's a good quality (durable i guess) longer than 6ft cable for the 6xx? Ideally in 2.5mm balanced. my 6ft cable is for sure not long enough to reach from where my source is to where i actually sit.

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 13, 2022

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I own it, the Elite 85h. I think it does everything the OP asked for, but I don’t think it sounds as good as the ATH. It looks cool, though, especially the blue version.

What do you use the 85h for and what devices do you connect to? Their FAQ says it's not designed for use with computers and it looks like some of the functionality can't be configured without the mobile app?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my brother-in-law is looking to splurge a little and buy a wireless gaming headset with a mic for under $300. I have no idea what's good in this field, so I thought I'd come by and ask what people use

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
So I did receive my LETSHUOER S12 set today, and they are impressing me right away. They are definitely similar to the 7HZ Timeless in a lot of ways, just based on the nature of the similar driver technology. The S12 pushes the midbass forward a bit more, has a wider sound stage, sharper detail retrieval, and more precise imaging. On the downside they can be a bit hot in the treble, and feel a bit more v-shaped in general due to that treble energy.

Both of these sets are good, Timeless is a bit more mellow and softer sounding, S12 is more vivid and punchy.

I got the S12 for $120, so I'm guessing that whenever the seasonal aliexpress sales roll around it will be available for around that price again, and I think it's extremely good at that price if you don't mind a little treble spice.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

grieving for Gandalf posted:

my brother-in-law is looking to splurge a little and buy a wireless gaming headset with a mic for under $300. I have no idea what's good in this field, so I thought I'd come by and ask what people use

They don't.

This is a bad idea all around. Wireless technology isn't there for gaming platforms.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My HyperX Cloud Flight was perfectly fine for gaming. I didn't notice any latency issues and it uses a 2.4 GHz dongle instead of bluetooth. Battery life was acceptable at 30 hours-ish.

They tend to review better than the Corsair and Logitech stuff.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 14, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Something with a separate dongle could be good, but isn't, and the HyperX (maybe Logitech?) (lol Razer) are the best in the field for now.

Bluetooth? Forget it. Kingston has a lot of issues that go directly into the bin labeled "gaming audio hardware". Tech isn't mature.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

With any wireless headset you're ultimately deciding if the convenience of wireless is worth spending a significant premium on a mediocre pair of headphones and mediocre microphone. When I'm streaming or playing games that need it I use a Blue Yeti mic and my Grado SR80s.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that the tech isn't good enough to be satisfying is what I was telling him, so I'm glad to have that second opinion. if he's willing to throw that amount of money on it, I'd rather he have something great than something okay, with caveats.

what's the get for <$300 in the wires category then?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

endlessmonotony posted:

They don't.

This is a bad idea all around. Wireless technology isn't there for gaming platforms.

Nah this has been bullshit for a pretty long time. As long as you use a proper wireless dongle and not bluetooth you'll be fine.

The HyperX cloud flights are very good sound wise (they're rebadged actual headphones with HyperX branding and wireless tech added on) and have a decent mic. The stock pads are mediocre but dekoni has excellent replacements that turn it into an all round great headset. Only minor issue I have with mine is that the position of the volume nob on the bottom of the cup means sometimes when I turn my head or move my head around I nudge the volume up or down; but I have a pretty short neck.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Xik posted:

What do you use the 85h for and what devices do you connect to? Their FAQ says it's not designed for use with computers and it looks like some of the functionality can't be configured without the mobile app?

I use them for my commute and calls at work. They stay connected to two devices at a time so I painlessly switch from my phone to my Mac at home or my Dell at work. They seem to know they need to switch to another device in situations such as a Zoom or Teams meeting starting. I’ve also seen the FAQ, it doesn’t seem to be true or at least I haven’t discovered what functionalities don’t work on a computer. They pair with computers like any other BT set.

The app lets you fine tune context sensitive ANC modes such as the headphone automatically recognizing you’re on your commute and adjusting the ANC accordingly. It also offers a basic EQ, and that’s it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
What’s the quick consensus on Sundara vs HE400i vs HE4xx?

Xik posted:

I've had my ATH-M50X for almost 8 years now, they've been through pad and headband replacements and also have a mod mic on them which has served me real well, super happy.

Might I ask what you did for headband replacement? I’ve got a flaky set that could stand to be spruced up, but every time I looked into it the options were either to pester AT about purchasing a full replacement headpiece assembly or to put a janky-rear end neoprene sleeve over the headband.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
Jabra also has the Jabra Evolve2 85 which is the «office» version of the Elite 85. That one comes with a 2,4 GHz dongle and is supposed to be pretty good!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

endlessmonotony posted:

They don't.

wireless gaming headsets have been a top selling accessory for over a decade, they are a billion dollar industry all by themselves. what in the unholy gently caress are you talking about

they don't sound very good and most of them are cheap plastic crap but they "work" for what they're supposed to do and the tech is perfectly fine.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

If he can find it somewhere for $300 (I have seen it at that price often), the Audeze Mobius is top of the pack for Bluetooth/wireless capable gaming headsets. They sound amazing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

If he can find it somewhere for $300 (I have seen it at that price often), the Audeze Mobius is top of the pack for Bluetooth/wireless capable gaming headsets. They sound amazing.

Not if you want wireless gaming, they do not do that. The Penrose is the model that does that. Bluetooth does not work for gaming at all.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

For $300, I'd suggest giving the Audeze Penrose X a shot (specifically the X, so you can use it for PC, Xbox and PS4/5). It fits terrible for me, but your brother in law might have better luck. Make sure to get it from a retailer with easy returns though. Great sound, pretty decent mic, big caveat is the fit.

As for everything else, wireless headsets have done a pretty bad job of balancing the following:
- good sound
- good mic
- good price
- good fit/ergonomics

This is especially true for the mic part. You can probably get the HyperX Cloud II wireless, but the mic is the typical nasally nightmare that wireless headsets have. I suggest going on YouTube and checking out the headset roundups to have a listen for how the mic sounds for most headsets out there.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

FistLips posted:

Jabra also has the Jabra Evolve2 85 which is the «office» version of the Elite 85. That one comes with a 2,4 GHz dongle and is supposed to be pretty good!

I've got the Evolve 75 and use the dongle. Works great.

One weird thing - the dongle does not like one of my laptop's usb ports. I sound like poo poo on the other end. I couldn't figure it out until it dawned on me one day that I had plugged it into the other USB port.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Ok Comboomer posted:

Might I ask what you did for headband replacement? I’ve got a flaky set that could stand to be spruced up, but every time I looked into it the options were either to pester AT about purchasing a full replacement headpiece assembly or to put a janky-rear end neoprene sleeve over the headband.

Sorry, I don't have a good answer for you, since this:

Ok Comboomer posted:

put a janky-rear end neoprene sleeve over the headband.

Is exactly what I did. I guess it was incorrect phrasing to say I "replaced" the headband. I had to do something since it was all peeling away and getting everywhere.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
LCD2 classic observations:

That is a short cable

Needs EQ (6XX doesn’t, to me)
e: on further examination (I only had 30 minutes to mess with them last night), they are fine without EQ, although the adjustments I had made were relatively minor

It’s noticeably heavy but I don’t think it’s going to bother me over an extended period of time

The sound is weirdly clear, is the best way I can describe it. Feels more present and playing a little Deathloop the environment sounded much bigger if that makes sense?

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 15, 2022

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve listened to ‘What I Got’ by Sublime over and over on headphones trying to figure out what’s happening with the vocals in the first verse.

I think someone was hand-twisting the pan knob to the right, almost to the beat. It peaks right before the chorus, then stops for the rest of the song.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hi thread. I have some sony mdr-7506 headphones, an older but comfy razer headset/mic combo (full size), some bose 2.0 powered speakers (to be replaced by edifier R1280T's or R1280db's, I guess?).

I'm looking for a good USB DAC to connect to a computer to use instead of motherboard onboard audio. I could also do a DAC/amp combo if needed (is it needed?).

Are there any consensus recommendations for under $100 or under $200? I've read some posts here and elsewhere and see Schiit mentioned a lot. Thanks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Schitt Fulla seems to be the general under $100 recommendation, though I have a Fiio E10K which I really like and might be cheaper.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

njsykora posted:

Schitt Fulla seems to be the general under $100 recommendation, though I have a Fiio E10K which I really like and might be cheaper.

Yeah been doing a lot more reading and those come up often. If I want to drive both the Edifier R1280’s and the headphones through the same DAC/amp would a Fulla or E10K be enough to drive both? (I guess in a chain config with the phones plugged into the speakers when needed?)

Or would I need a real dac/amp stack like magni / modi? That seems to be very popular too.

Edit: the R1280’s don’t have an audio out, so no chaining

pmchem fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 16, 2022

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

pmchem posted:

Yeah been doing a lot more reading and those come up often. If I want to drive both the Edifier R1280’s and the headphones through the same DAC/amp would a Fulla or E10K be enough to drive both? (I guess in a chain config with the phones plugged into the speakers when needed?)

Or would I need a real dac/amp stack like magni / modi? That seems to be very popular too.

Edit: the R1280’s don’t have an audio out, so no chaining
I was chaining my magni heresy to my edifier R1850DB speakers for a bit, but ended up connecting those to a secondary optical output instead as I didn't like that I needed to remove the headphone cables any time I wanted to use the speakers.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
E10K > Fulla, no contest whatsoever.

Those design flaws are something alright.

Of course, extra noises bother me much harder than some people.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 16, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

pmchem posted:

I'm looking for a good USB DAC to connect to a computer to use instead of motherboard onboard audio. I could also do a DAC/amp combo if needed (is it needed?).

Is it needed? Are you trying to solve a noise problem or just improve your sound quality? Either way, I'd start with an apple USB-C dongle and a usb c->a adapter if you need it. You will not get any additional benefit from more expensive options with the headphones you have.

endlessmonotony posted:

Those design flaws are something alright.

what design flaws, specifically, are you talking about?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Is it needed? Are you trying to solve a noise problem or just improve your sound quality? Either way, I'd start with an apple USB-C dongle and a usb c->a adapter if you need it. You will not get any additional benefit from more expensive options with the headphones you have.

bit of both. there's some noise over my current onboard audio, and I'm building a new machine and want better sound overall. I'm in the process of upgrading my current speakers and headphones (very old, reliable but cheap). First up is speakers, just got some R1280T's sitting here waiting to be plugged in tonight. Next will be headphones, probably to a nice high-end Sennheiser set (or whatever's popular in this thread for both music and gaming). My understanding is that external USB DACs, possibly also with a combo or separate amp, are the 'go to' way to get clean, nice audio from PC's these days.

Schiit's have really mixed reviews but are sold out on amazon anyway. Apparently they're redesigning their line to make up for the fact that their preferred DAC supplier had its factory burn down last year? But it's unclear if the fiio E10K, K3, or K5 Pro is the best from them these days for my use case. Maybe the K3, it seems designed to replace the E10K?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

pmchem posted:

bit of both. there's some noise over my current onboard audio, and I'm building a new machine and want better sound overall. I'm in the process of upgrading my current speakers and headphones (very old, reliable but cheap). First up is speakers, just got some R1280T's sitting here waiting to be plugged in tonight. Next will be headphones, probably to a nice high-end Sennheiser set (or whatever's popular in this thread for both music and gaming). My understanding is that external USB DACs, possibly also with a combo or separate amp, are the 'go to' way to get clean, nice audio from PC's these days.

Schiit's have really mixed reviews but are sold out on amazon anyway. Apparently they're redesigning their line to make up for the fact that their preferred DAC supplier had its factory burn down last year? But it's unclear if the fiio E10K, K3, or K5 Pro is the best from them these days for my use case. Maybe the K3, it seems designed to replace the E10K?

A lot of the existing hate for Schiit online comes from design decisions they phased out literally ~8 years ago. Their current stable of DACs tests about as well as anybody could want/can hear.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Hey headphoniacs. I got some pixel buds-A as a gift over the weekend. They sound fine, but they seem to make my ear canals itch, which feels pretty lousy. I think I may have some kind of dermatitis, like I've been planning on seeing a dermatologist. Some (but not many) people online report having the same kind of reaction. Most earbuds don't make me itch, but I'm guessing I have some kind of sensitivity to that silicone material. It could also just be the contact.

anyone experience this or with other earbuds? Do you think any other tips might fit these? I really don't want to have to return them

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a605025.html

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wilkins Micawber posted:

anyone experience this or with other earbuds? Do you think any other tips might fit these? I really don't want to have to return them

Spinfit makes "medical grade" tips that are supposed to be hypoallergenic, they are also really really good and I used them on everything. Comply foam tips might be worth looking into.

cool post but maybe don't squirt corticosteroids into your ear canal without consulting an actual doctor