Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Enjoy posted:

GMM: how do the clowns have a dwarf super combatant

Adamantine is light blue, that dwarf is clearly covered in whipped cream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I guess the dwarf mod adds new poptypes or something that you can recruit independently?

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Boing posted:

I guess the dwarf mod adds new poptypes or something that you can recruit independently?
does this sound like a bug or a feature

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Random drunken migrants are okay I would think, but not rock gods...

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
From looking @ the mod, it adds sites to the game that can spawn for anyone, one of which is a common cave site which allows the recruitment of the giant dudes. I don't know what the rest of these sites allow you to recruit but I'm tempted to just change them all to rare instead of common and call it a day.

Thoughts

Edit: oh it's worse than I thought. These units are actual megafuckers and a mage can summon one for free every turn. Pretty cool for a common level 1 site. I'll be examining each of these sites closely and nerfing them to death, brutally.

Mu. fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 11, 2016

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

I added Elemnia to Awful Nations and nerfed that dwarf site.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scyaup6zck35msg/awful_nations.rar?dl=1

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
I doubt I'll be alive much longer in Land of No Secrets, but at least we can have some graphs! I'm a little surprised my Eyes of God is the first global up, given all the gems we're swimming in. At turn 20 the world looks like :

Provinces :

Forts :

Income :

Gems :

Research :

Dominion :

Army :

Also, an example of some of the provinces you can get (not one of my provs sadly!) :

I actually really like this all-sites-revealed mod, though it does make me sad how many sites must go unfound in regular games... Also, provs in games with this mod that don't have any sites at all are really disappointing!

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
So, TheSaltMine is apparently over as Baudin conceded so he could play more Stellaris. Joke's on him, because I staled the last turn because I was also playing Stellaris. Server was down last I checked so no graphs. I had a magic site that let me see the non-magic graphs for most of the game, so I always had a decent idea of where I stood (consistently top three in income and provinces until the end).

This was a game for people who had never won a game before. I was Ragha with Cold Scales, which was okay because it was essentially Caelum on steroids as opposed to all day gryphon murder swarms. Much like gryphons, Cold Ragha needs a lot of money to keep buying StR Seraphs, but I got lots of farm provinces and free forts so a "money crunch" meant I was only recruiting 8 or so seraphs instead of 10. Having actual scales also helped with this. Expansion was good because I had decent Turan infantry and armored elephants. Jomon was a friend until they went AI, and at the end they were the only nation as big as I was.

My pretender was incredibly useless because she site searched for two years, found nothing, and then spent the rest of the game forging crystal coins and moonvine bracelets for mindhunting. Which I proceeded to not really do except to mess with AI invasions. Scalewise I made the mistake of going Cold 2 instead of 3, which meant there were a bunch of turns where I couldn't recruit Seraphs every year (but also couldn't recruit Turan Sorcerers, as they still needed heat). I had a big fire gem income that I proceeded to mostly use to empower someone to the point they can keep a province in hot scales/summon flame spirits, and a big death gem income that I spent on summons which I proceeded to not really use. I had no nature gem income despite site searching and a pretender built for it so I mostly gave up after Baudin put up Mother Oak.

My workhorses were swarms of Airya archers with fire arrows, led by pairs of flying sorcerers and seraphs to melt Baudin's giants whenever we fought in an actual battle. There were also lots of Ragha's saravan cavalry, who would fire their bows as part of the fire arrow swarm for the first two turns and then charge and kill whatever was still alive with their lances. I also had stacks of Airya seraphs who would (theoretically) drop into a province where I needed extra support and kill everything with thunderstrikes. The last group were mostly used against AI invasions because I was at war with everyone at the end but didn't want to spend resources on someone other than another player. I guess I would have consolidated my 80 or so seraphs on his cap for the final attack just to make that battle unwatchable.

I mostly won not through skill, but because no one directly fought me. I sniped some provinces off Caelum when everyone attacked them, then I sniped some provinces off of Tien Chi when Jomon attacked them, then I invaded Agartha because his entire army was busy fighting Marignon, and finally I just attacked Baudin's Jotunheim from north and south simultaneously when I realized we were the only two players left and he was bogged down fighting Midgard. I think he sent some horrors at me, which I had no real counter to, and Wild Hunt kept sniping my priests, but neither one did enough damage to overcome 8 or so forts producing seraph and troops every turn. He made the mistake of leading a lot of his troops around with indy commanders who I proceeded to snipe with seeking arrows, so he was never able to mass enough soldiers to power through my fire arrows and get to the gooey core of archers and mages.

The hardest fight was against Agartha, because I wasn't completely dominant by that point. He tried to earthquake my armies to death but my troops were just a little bit too strong: the Turan had just enough hp to survive while the Airya could fly. The worst loss was actually when I was attacking his cap as my elephants routed and ran right through my Seraphs, killing 10 or so of them. Despite these tactical failures on my part he still couldn't press home a win because most of his troops were besieging Marignon, and then AI Jomon invaded him from the other direction.

Back to Stellaris.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Morrow posted:

I mostly won not through skill, but because no one directly fought me. I sniped some provinces off Caelum when everyone attacked them, then I sniped some provinces off of Tien Chi when Jomon attacked them, then I invaded Agartha because his entire army was busy fighting Marignon, and finally I just attacked Baudin's Jotunheim from north and south simultaneously when I realized we were the only two players left and he was bogged down fighting Midgard. I think he sent some horrors at me, which I had no real counter to, and Wild Hunt kept sniping my priests, but neither one did enough damage to overcome 8 or so forts producing seraph and troops every turn. He made the mistake of leading a lot of his troops around with indy commanders who I proceeded to snipe with seeking arrows, so he was never able to mass enough soldiers to power through my fire arrows and get to the gooey core of archers and mages.

This is a skill in and of itself, diplo yourself into position to snipe 2-5 provs here, 2-5 provs there, all of a sudden you're a huge unstoppable force. In between crushable and unstoppable your diplomancy will allow you to have everyone believe you are insignificant and X, Y and Z are the boogy-men

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Speleothing posted:

The Sacred has homesickness, so you're not likely to use them much after expansion.

What happens if you take an n9 bless

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

MF_James posted:

This is a skill in and of itself, diplo yourself into position to snipe 2-5 provs here, 2-5 provs there, all of a sudden you're a huge unstoppable force. In between crushable and unstoppable your diplomancy will allow you to have everyone believe you are insignificant and X, Y and Z are the boogy-men

This. Please see: Wild Ride

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I Love You! posted:

All the more impressive in Wildride considering the graphs were all left on.

I'm still getting attacked by chucklefucks and you have more gems than the rest of the world combined.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

I believe homesickness reduces maximum HP rather than just chipping away at base HP. Could be wrong though!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

I Love You! posted:

Then you rush the poo poo out of the first person you meet and hope you can break down their walls in less than 6 turns.

Edit: this is one of those things that needs testing and balancing. Maybe I should drop irmimsul from the pretender list or bump them to 40ish gold?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 17, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I Love You! posted:

i just won a non-goon game like this. i expanded really well and then everyone left me alone until it was just down to two people. i then proceeded to unload earth attacks and all of the summons i'd stockpiled on the one remaining player and they tapped out within 4 turns. the best move in dom4.exe is not to fight.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Where else do you play? That desura game that we ended up abandoning sounded awful, emailing turn files and poo poo, loving savages do poo poo like that!

*edit* are you still in the days of playing chess by mail!?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Bug Squash posted:

All the more impressive in Wildride considering the graphs were all left on.

I'm still getting attacked by chucklefucks and you have more gems than the rest of the world combined.

The thing is none of those chucklefucks actually bordered me and you were in 2nd place by a huge margin until we warred. Their choices were basically to attack you and try to grow large or to simply concede to the two of us. Attacking you while you and i warred was realistically the only option, while hoping that you and I weakened each other.

Also people have fought me. They have just been overwhelmed absolutely immediately. Everyone knew I was strong but no one was really in a position to do much about it based on our borders and the speed that I grew to an absurdly huge boogeyman.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 17, 2016

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Speleothing posted:

Then you rush the poo poo out of the first person you meet and hope you can break down their walls in less than 6 turns.

Edit: this is one of those things that needs testing and balancing. Maybe I should drop irmimsul from the pretender list or bump them to 40ish gold?

Hint to newer players: Don't use your sacreds to siege walls, this is what mercs and garbage troops and hosed up tiny wolves are for, sacreds should move on and gobble up the rest of the territory!

And yeah I haven't tested anything with your mod, this was just the first thing that came to mind. If the balancing agent is that they are insanely strong but can't go far, an N9 bless could maybe abuse that? I'm actually not sure how homesickness works with regen so it's worth testing.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

MF_James posted:

Where else do you play? That desura game that we ended up abandoning sounded awful, emailing turn files and poo poo, loving savages do poo poo like that!

*edit* are you still in the days of playing chess by mail!?

it's on steam and it's using the pbem poo poo which is barbarism for sure, but you kind of get used to it

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I Love You! posted:

Hint to newer players: Don't use your sacreds to siege walls, this is what mercs and garbage troops and hosed up tiny wolves are for, sacreds should move on and gobble up the rest of the territory!

And yeah I haven't tested anything with your mod, this was just the first thing that came to mind. If the balancing agent is that they are insanely strong but can't go far, an N9 bless could maybe abuse that? I'm actually not sure how homesickness works with regen so it's worth testing.

Based on marching in circles a bunch, it keeps the unit from dying as long as you keep getting in battles, but they rack up absurd amounts of afflictions because of weirdness. It takes 5 turns without a battle for them to die, and they are mapmove1, so if you are marching through your own territory, you're in trouble. But a series of consecutive battles will bring them back up to 'max' - which is actually 10 on the march, not 12. Regen is absolutely hosed up in every battle, though. They get 20 maxHP every time, but only get the +8 onto whatever they had when you launched the attack. The regeneration doesn't work even if they get dropped below where they started the battle.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that the sacreds need a nerf to be MP-ready, but I'm not sure where. Obviously the AI has no idea what to do about them, but what would tools would a player with MA Pyth, Ctis, Agartha, or Pan use to beat a stack on turn 16? Turn 26?
* Should I just make them easier to kill? Or do they need a nerf to attack strength as well?
* On that note, should I give them broadswords, shortswords, or MR-negate weapons as the nerf?
* I'll probably move them to scale instead of chain, but should I drop them to just a cuirass instead of a hauberk? 15/13/12/10 prot?
* Should I turn the H2s into mere robe-wearing priests instead of mini-thugs, so you can snipe the blesser?
* I could raise the homesickness to a higher percent, 40 would probably make them purely defensive.
* Just put them at scale hauberk but raise Gcost & Rcost? 35/30? 45/30?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 18, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Speleothing posted:

Based on marching in circles a bunch, it keeps the unit from dying as long as you keep getting in battles, but they rack up absurd amounts of afflictions because of weirdness. It takes 5 turns without a battle for them to die, and they are mapmove1, so if you are marching through your own territory, you're in trouble. But a series of consecutive battles will bring them back up to 'max' - which is actually 10 on the march, not 12. Regen is absolutely hosed up in every battle, though. They get 20 maxHP every time, but only get the +8 onto whatever they had when you launched the attack. The regeneration doesn't work even if they get dropped below where they started the battle.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that the sacreds need a nerf to be MP-ready, but I'm not sure where. Obviously the AI has no idea what to do about them, but what would tools would a player with MA Pyth, Ctis, Agartha, or Pan use to beat a stack on turn 16? Turn 26?

i can't remember, but are they poison resistant? ma ctis would just fart gas them and fill space up with skeletons. agartha would stick them in place and then either swarm them with lava kids or hit them with evocations. pan would just use w9 WC to blender through them, possibly sticking them to the ground first. pyth would ???

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I Love You! posted:

The thing is none of those chucklefucks actually bordered me and you were in 2nd place by a huge margin until we warred. Their choices were basically to attack you and try to grow large or to simply concede to the two of us. Attacking you while you and i warred was realistically the only option, while hoping that you and I weakened each other.

Also people have fought me. They have just been overwhelmed absolutely immediately. Everyone knew I was strong but no one was really in a position to do much about it based on our borders and the speed that I grew to an absurdly huge boogeyman.

The lack of wrap on the map is mostly the thing to blame.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The only border you can trust is a border with yourself on a wrap map.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ramc posted:

The lack of wrap on the map is mostly the thing to blame.

Yes, absolutely.

Though I feel like if I could have traded wrap for no-graphs-on I'd likely be in about the same position. It's impossible to tell but no-wrap maps are pretty brutally one-sided in most cases.

Basically as luck would have it there's virtually no thrones on my entire half of the world so I'm still a ways from winning even in my best case scenario

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Morrow posted:

The only border you can trust is a border with yourself on a wrap map.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Samog fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 18, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I Love You! posted:

no-wrap maps are pretty brutally one-sided in most cases.

actually there's 4 :rimshot:

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013
Playing a game as MA Abysia inspired me to create a small balance mod to make them a little more competent. Balancing vanilla through mods can lead you down a boring rabbit hole, but this was a fun little project to learn some of the sillier mod mechanics.

code:
Better Abysia v 0.01

-Warlock Apprentice recruitable everywhere
-Warlock slow-to-recruit
-Adds Level 3 Fire 2 Conjuration spell to summon 5 Salamanders for 5 gems
Better Abysia

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Atlanton posted:

Playing a game as MA Abysia inspired me to create a small balance mod to make them a little more competent. Balancing vanilla through mods can lead you down a boring rabbit hole, but this was a fun little project to learn some of the sillier mod mechanics.

code:
Better Abysia v 0.01

-Warlock Apprentice recruitable everywhere
-Warlock slow-to-recruit
-Adds Level 3 Fire 2 Conjuration spell to summon 5 Salamanders for 5 gems
Better Abysia

abysia is interesting. It would be nice if they had a mage you could research with that wasn't old as gently caress, I got somewhat hosed early by the RNG with the recruit anywhere mages, a few just up got diseased and died, it's been a bit since it happened now but it hampered early game research :(

Power slots for abysia seem weird, so I'm wondering if the summon salamander spell could help alleviate that.

Are the salamanders actually good? They're somewhat expensive (50g/1r) and you can only recruit 5 per fort per turn.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
if the salamanders you summon still cost gold upkeep theres probably not much of a difference

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013

jsoh posted:

if the salamanders you summon still cost gold upkeep theres probably not much of a difference

Yeah. The idea was for them to be upkeep free, but I didn't actually ensure that was the case.

I'll have to read up on it, but I'm assuming I can just make a new unit and copy over the salamander stats while nuking the gold.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I feel that your ability to use the amount of fire gems you have is somewhat difficult. Sure, you can summon fire elementals all day in battle, making fire booster, fire in a jar, and lightless lanterns, you're going to run out of uses for fire gems pretty quickly while still pulling in 6+ a turn, especially since you want to hit blood/astral hard due to fire evocs usefulness waning as the mid-game progresses.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Atlanton posted:

Yeah. The idea was for them to be upkeep free, but I didn't actually ensure that was the case.

I'll have to read up on it, but I'm assuming I can just make a new unit and copy over the salamander stats while nuking the gold.

It's really easy to check. You just summon one and then click on its 'Morale' box and it will tell you it's annual upkeep.

MF_James posted:

abysia is interesting. It would be nice if they had a mage you could research with that wasn't old as gently caress, I got somewhat hosed early by the RNG with the recruit anywhere mages, a few just up got diseased and died, it's been a bit since it happened now but it hampered early game research :(

If I were doing it, I'd give MA a foreignrec mage with a random chance at e1 or d1, and the fluff of them as seeking an answer to Abyssian's short lives. Could do the same thing in EA with just strait e1 (edit: actually the random still works there, too).

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 19, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If only there was a way to turn fire gems into astral pearls.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Atlanton posted:

Yep,

#newmonster (would highly recommend a number so you can use that in the summon spell rather than 'Salamander' which will summon the 60g ones because the monster ID will be lower)
#copystats 213
#gcost 0
#end

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 19, 2016

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
salamanders are not good at all but an early game spell that summons 5 for 5 gems is probably very good

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
get this: just make the regular salamander have 0 gold cost so that you can recruit five of them for free every turn AND your summon doesn't have upkeep

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Yep,

#newmonster (would highly recommend a number so you can use that in the summon spell rather than 'Salamander' which will summon the 60g ones because the monster ID will be lower)
#copystats 213
#gcost 0
#end

Awesome. Thanks!

I had to copy the sprite over as well, but it worked perfectly and I've since updated the original zip.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Samog posted:

get this: just make the regular salamander have 0 gold cost so that you can recruit five of them for free every turn AND your summon doesn't have upkeep

i still don't think this would make me play abysia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
instead make a spell that lets you summon burning ones for gems

• Locked thread