Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

porktree posted:

I have never in all my decades on the internet seen an opinion so wrong. I would rather put sharpened pencils in my ears than listen to a single second of the sophomoric drivel coming from these “podcasters”.

Seriously, Sword and Scale is ok, but gets a little judgy and smug.

True Crime Historian is top notch. The Villisca ax murders is a nice but of historical butchery that he covers and may be tied to the Jazz Ax murderer of New Orleans.

last podcast on the left is good as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Joe is actually the main thing I like about Thinking Sideways. The other two keep getting basic things wrong that would be a basic google search away, but at least Joe is old man senile entertaining.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That wasn't the birth canal is the whole point, he got stuck because he went down the wrong thing.

This is indeed a disturbing anecdote.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I got stuck because the umbilical cord wrapped itself around my neck. The miracle of childbirth.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Yeah I mean... Some are better than others, but over all I've really enjoyed them so far.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Azathoth posted:

However, I would recommend folks avoid Sword and Scale. It's well-made, in that it's competently presented, produced, and edited, but his whole take on mental illness is lovely and it really colors his stories.

Is there an actual podcast somewhere in Sword and Scale? I tried a few episodes but it 98% of it seems to consist of low quality phone interviews and police/court audio recordings.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

funmanguy posted:

I got stuck because the umbilical cord wrapped itself around my neck. The miracle of childbirth.

miracleofchildbirth.jpg:

(Also disturbing, depending on how you feel about stupid mammal births)

https://img.gifmagazine.net/gifmagazine/images/1273105/original.gif

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Comrade Koba posted:

Is there an actual podcast somewhere in Sword and Scale? I tried a few episodes but it 98% of it seems to consist of low quality phone interviews and police/court audio recordings.

The one I am referring to is http://swordandscale.com

It comes up as from art19.com when I search in Podcast Addict, but it looks to be the same show.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
I don't want to waste further breath on podcasts or S&S but yeah a lot of the episodes are super lazy where it's just like I'M GOING TO PLAY THE ENTIRETY OF THIS SUICIDE/MURDER VIDEO
he's gotten more professional, and the music has always been good, but he's still fundamentally...and I hate to say this...kind of a dumb dude? He's got very simplistic understandings of a lot of things, mental health included. The best episodes are the ones where like, some intelligent expert or guest comes on to lead him by the nose. so pretty much only a couple good ones. it's very much bottom barrel appealing true crime for Nancy Grace types to fund and that's why it's wildly successful and he even did some Bravo-esque Aftershow podcast (though from what I can tell even his fans thought that was stupid af)

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i died once

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Better luck next time.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

SmokaDustbowl posted:

It's awesome. I can't imagine a person that reads this thread, on this forum that doesn't like last podcast.

I liked sword and scale early on but it's pretty much poo poo now. Like someone else said, it seems like it's just endless conversations with the authors of some new book or audio of 911 calls and poo poo. The guy that narrates it is a dingus too. True crime garage kind of does the same thing but with a good back and forth between the two hosts. I thoroughly enjoy the dollop too, but they deal with more absurd horrible poo poo than the outright disturbing stuff.

I'd appreciate it if anyone knows of any other good podcasts in the lpotl or dollop sort of category. I go through podcasts like mad. Always looking for something new to listen to.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I liked sword and scale early on but it's pretty much poo poo now. Like someone else said, it seems like it's just endless conversations with the authors of some new book or audio of 911 calls and poo poo. The guy that narrates it is a dingus too.

I wouldn't mind the narrator if he, you know, actually did some narration instead of

<slurry 30-minute phone interview>
"However, nobody would expect...this!"
<45-minute recording of a court hearing>
"Well, that certainly was a thing that happened. See you next time!"

LPotL, on the other hand, was just aggressively bad. I was worried I'd break the screen on my phone with how fiercely I hit "Unsubscribe".

While we're on the subject, are there any good podcasts that focus on weird and unnerving stuff and events in general? Things like Dyatlov pass, Taman Shud, the Isdal woman, etc.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Koba posted:

I wouldn't mind the narrator if he, you know, actually did some narration instead of

<slurry 30-minute phone interview>
"However, nobody would expect...this!"
<45-minute recording of a court hearing>
"Well, that certainly was a thing that happened. See you next time!"

LPotL, on the other hand, was just aggressively bad. I was worried I'd break the screen on my phone with how fiercely I hit "Unsubscribe".

While we're on the subject, are there any good podcasts that focus on weird and unnerving stuff and events in general? Things like Dyatlov pass, Taman Shud, the Isdal woman, etc.

clearly you just need more blood. try draining a rabbit or two

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Lpotl is terribly racist and pinheaded 99% of the time. I like most of their serial killer ones, but leonard lake caused me to stop listening to them blindly.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've never felt that LPOTL is racist - but then I only listen to their serial killer episodes so maybe I'm missing something.

Their recent three-parter about Carl Panzram was absolutely amazing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hoooo boy Leonard lake and Charles Ng. Just...wow. Give that one a go.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
What really turned me off of Sword and Scale is that it is, as a previous poster put it, "lurid sensationalist bullshit from an rear end in a top hat", but the rear end in a top hat in question does not even truly own the lurid sensationalist bullshit aspect. People listen to true crime podcasts out of morbid curiosity and fascination towards horrific poo poo, and I'm all for it. S&S really goes all out and revels in the gruesome details. In one episode he plays the entire audio of a video where a man gets beaten to death with a hammer, and it goes on for like five minutes. In another episode he discusses mothers who kill their children, including some woman who put her baby in the microwave for X amount of minutes. Then in the middle of the video he turns on a microwave and lets it run for the same amount of time that the baby in the story was cooked.

It's so shameless and distasteful that it's kind of funny in a dark way, but at the end of the day it's like the host has zero self-awareness about what he's doing and why. You get these pretentious monologues about ~spreading awareness about the dark side of humanity~ and ~how monsters are all around us~. And last I listened, he was playing listener voicemails at the end of each episode, voicemails of fans jerking him off about how he's such a humanitarian and doing such an important thing by talking about these awful things and exposing them. I'd get that if it was a podcast of someone talking about their personal experience after losing a family member to a criminal or something, but again... microwave baby. And endless 911 call recordings with scary music in the background.

I can't listen to a lot of Last Podcast on the Left in one sitting because the presentation grates on my nerves, but at least those guys aren't pretending they're doing the Lord's work by digging up these horrific stories and their dirty details. They're super tasteless but they own up to the fact. They're kind of sick shits for doing it, we're kind of sick shits for listening, it's all cool.

I also hate the aforementioned simple and pretty terrible views the S&S guy has regarding mental health. Especially combined with his constant fear-mongering. An episode about the man suffering from schizophrenia who beheaded a fellow passenger on a Gryehound bus features a segment where the host urges the listener to look around them and think about how many of the people they see are suffering from MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES (cue scare chord). Like, gently caress you, bro.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's the one that made me go "NOPE".

Insight is kind of like Thinking Sideways but the hosts are serious and don't really joke around. The american host has a really weird breathing problem thing going on though. It sounds like she just held her breath for ten seconds before she started her next sentence.

The Trail Went Cold is good on the information front but the dude has a really weird way of speaking. I can't explain what it is. He also ponders a little too much on things he has no way of knowing, which is sad because he's good with getting the real information and doesn't really need it.

If you want a podcast making jokes about dumb, fun paranormal stuff give "Blame It On Outer Space" a go. One of the hosts, Eric Szyszka, is also a co host on the We Hate Movies podcast and a really funny guy. Good chemistry with his co host Ben too.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

But at least we can all agree that My Favorite Murder is great right?

My favorite part is the 20 min. chat about Sephora they usually start out with.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Comrade Koba posted:

You might like Astonishing Legends. I don't normally care for the "two people discuss <topic>" format, but it really clicked with me. I'd recommend not starting at the beginning and jumping in somewhere in the middle of you see a topic that looks interesting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

On the upside it gave us that bit at the start of the Aum Shinrikyo series where Ben times how long Henry can go without doing a racist accent

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You know I didn't realize that Ng was Asian until this conversation came up. I figured it was just an Ellis Island name.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Terrible Opinions posted:

You know I didn't realize that Ng was Asian until this conversation came up. I figured it was just an Ellis Island name.

no he was actually asian and he actually sounded/sounds because i think he's still alive like a horrifyingly racist stereotype

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Yeah seems your enjoyment of LPotL will kinda hinge on how funny you find Henry and his outbursts.

I find him fuckin hilarious most of the time, terrible Asian accents included, but ymmv

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Comrade Koba posted:

mysterious universe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

charles ng actually sounds like that

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Doesn't sound like a thick accent to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhTXJU74t0c

:shrug:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

SmokaDustbowl posted:

charles ng actually sounds like that

Do you know of a video or a recording where I could hear him speak?

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAKhijbFVwY:nms:

Video has some of the home video footage of Lake (Ng's accomplice) telling the victims what they're in for. Incredibly loving grim.

Cyanide was too good for that gently caress, jesus christ...

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Comrade Koba posted:

Futility Closet has done Dyatlov Pass and Taman Shud. They do a number of weird and unnerving things although they also do more lighthearted things from history.

There's also True Crime Japan (which I believe I learned from this thread) which has some interesting stuff because they'll occasionally do things that don't have much coverage in English media.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sarcopenia posted:

Do you know of a video or a recording where I could hear him speak?

If you can find the old American Justice episode about the case

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Haven't seen Hart island mentioned yet?

Island nestled into New York has served as a war prison, tuberculosis quarantine, boys reformation facility, and potter's field (where unidentified bodies are mass buried)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_Island_(New_York)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like LPotL.

Fight me irl. :colbert:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Is there not a true crime podcast thread? For the amount of times I've seen them discussed, there doesn't seem to be a catch-all thread for them, just a few individual ones for certain podcasts.

Would people be interested in that?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
lpotl is okay when they're not trying really really hard to show how super 4edgy5u they are

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Island nestled into New York has served as a war prison, tuberculosis quarantine, boys reformation facility, and potter's field (where unidentified bodies are mass buried)

Wikipedia posted:

More than one million dead are buried on the island... In 2005 there were 1,419 burials in the potter's field on Hart Island, including 826 adults, 546 infants and stillborn babies, and 47 burials of dismembered body parts. The dead are buried in trenches. Babies are placed in coffins of various sizes, and are stacked five coffins high and usually twenty coffins across... The potter's field is also used to dispose of amputated body parts, which are placed in boxes labeled "limbs"

That the whole Island hasn't been sucked into a void a la Poltergeist is proof that ghosts don't exist. That place should be the Indianapolis 500 of ghosts. You should be able to look over from Pelham Bay Park and count the fuckers.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I like Generation Why :kiddo: I've just been listening to episodes at random since I'm not really a podcast person but so far my only complaint about the actual content is the hosts kind of overestimate the criminal genius of white trash teenagers.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Drunk Nerds posted:

The bodies are buried by prisoners. I feel this is an important detail. There was an article on longform.org about it recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Bobby Driscoll, the child actor who played the child leads in Song of the South and Treasure Island and was the voice of Disney's Peter Pan died of a drug overdose in the 60s and is buried in one of the mass graves on Hart Island.

Doing genealogy work, I get depressed when I see "potter's field" on an old death certificate. Did this person outlive friends and family, couldn't get a family plot, died poor and alone, too anonymous in life?