Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
cmon who doesn't love balut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

also lol at calling american chinese food "delicious"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

mishaq posted:

im not doubting the food cant be made OK, but the cuisine as a whole is not "good"

ive spent 4-5 months collectively in the philppines and all the food there is extremely low quality and terrible

i love the philippines dearly despite the food

i get that, they love to use cheap ingredients like ox tail and stuff but it can be made with better ingredients and taste good. i've been to four different restaurants (3 in canada 1 in berlin) that served filipino food that was actually tasty, and everything my wife and her family has served me has been pretty great (except kare kare which i don't like).

and i still say that's basically what chinese food is like, i'm told that chinese food in china is universally terrible too but i don't hear anyone railing against chinese cuisine.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
also i think we had this exact same conversation 6 months ago and i think i made my point, so i'm gonna drop it

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

mishaq posted:

also lol at calling american chinese food "delicious"

look, it has loads of sugar, salt, and crunchy, the primary flavors

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cold on a Cob posted:

i get that, they love to use cheap ingredients like ox tail and stuff but it can be made with better ingredients and taste good. i've been to four different restaurants (3 in canada 1 in berlin) that served filipino food that was actually tasty, and everything my wife and her family has served me has been pretty great (except kare kare which i don't like).

and i still say that's basically what chinese food is like, i'm told that chinese food in china is universally terrible too but i don't hear anyone railing against chinese cuisine.

haven't you heard? oxtail is expensive now.

also who told you food in china is terrible? was it a white person who considers themselves too good to eat anything other than lean steaks or hamburgers?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

how did you have oxtails prepared that it didnt taste good?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

oxtails own and real chinese food is actually good

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i've never met a native filipino but my friend is half filipino and has been there before and he does a very silly filipino impression but i have no idea if its accurate or not because i have no point of reference.

that's my filipino story thanks for listening

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

also who told you food in china is terrible? was it a white person who considers themselves too good to eat anything other than lean steaks or hamburgers?

three different chinese immigrants now living in canada + dude i knew that worked there for three years that might fit your description + dude that backpacked through china and thailand that does not (he is ethnically chinese but was raised in trinidad)

also in retrospect "terrible" is a strong word, bland would be closer to the descriptions i was given. this is hearsay though so if i've heard wrong i won't argue the point.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

how did you have oxtails prepared that it didnt taste good?

kare-kare

maybe i would like oxtails in something else i dunno, i hate all the little bones and it just didn't taste all that great to me

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

hmmm. when i've had them it was from a slow cooker. super fatty but lots of taste. meat melted right off the bone

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cold on a Cob posted:

three different chinese immigrants now living in canada + dude i knew that worked there for three years that might fit your description + dude that backpacked through china and thailand that does not (he is ethnically chinese but was raised in trinidad)

also in retrospect "terrible" is a strong word, bland would be closer to the descriptions i was given. this is hearsay though so if i've heard wrong i won't argue the point.

china is, surprisingly, really big and there's a whole lot of regional food variation. there's tons of awesome food. sounds like they only ate stuff like vegetables stir fried in oil with nothing but salt

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

long live food chat

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

china is, surprisingly, really big and there's a whole lot of regional food variation. there's tons of awesome food. sounds like they only ate stuff like vegetables stir fried in oil with nothing but salt

makes sense

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

food in Beijing is terrible. actually, literally everything in Beijing is terrible and lots of people go there and think that Chinese everything terrible

"Chinese food" in Taiwan was fantastic and the mainlander I was there with said it was similar to but less spicy than what he had at home

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 28, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

strangely what I liked most in Taiwan was the dirt cheap but good sushi. it's so expensive in Tokyo

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
in this thread:

white people arguing about chinese food

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fart simpson posted:

food in china is only terrible because of the melamine/lead/arsenic

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Wild EEPROM posted:

in this thread:

white people arguing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I need to buy my Japanese coworker that grew up in London an account for maximum colonialism

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Wild EEPROM posted:

in this thread:

white people arguing about chinese food

tbf white people are experts on appropriating foreign food and making it "better" (i.e. adding salt, sugar, and fat)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
speaking of foreign food that white people like, i think i'm going to get doubles tomorrow

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cold on a Cob posted:

tbf white people are experts on appropriating foreign food and making it "better" (i.e. adding salt, sugar, and fat)

asia does this too except they add eggs, seafood, and ketchup

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fart simpson posted:

asia does this too except they add eggs, seafood, and ketchup

sounds fail

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

also cheese.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Nintendo Kid posted:

food in china is only terrible because of the melamine/lead/arsenic

melamine isn't really bad for you unless they're also adding cyanuric acid to your other food

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Smythe posted:

sounds fail

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/02/crazy-weird-asian-pizza-crusts-japanese-korean-hong-kong.html

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

in china you have to specifically ask for no corn on your pizza because if you don't it will be one of the toppings no matter what type of pizza you ordered

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i ate way too much filipino food in the navy because they hadn't instituted uniform menus across the board and all the supply people on my ship that ordered food were filipino.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
they had really good barbecue in China

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

fart simpson posted:

in china you have to specifically ask for no corn on your pizza because if you don't it will be one of the toppings no matter what type of pizza you ordered

corn on pizza is a really pro move though, in the same category as egg

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i'd prefer potatoes or pineapples before corn

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

i'd prefer potatoes or pineapples before corn

there's this great pizza place where i love that has a potato pizza, it owns

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

they also have a radical satan pizza, give me a sec here

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

here's the flyer

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

any more than four toppings and you are overdoing it and loading the pieup too much. then it gets soggy and that's the worst.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i was in chicago a few days ago and sought out authentic deep-dish pizza. one of my buds later told me that i had not actually eaten not deep-dish pizza, but pan pizza, which was in his eyes a somehow inferior experience. despite this crucial distinction it was really good and i told him to shut up and live a little.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
deep dish pizza is nothing even remotely like pizza and the only people who think it somehow is pizza are from that idiot city.

it's practically a quiche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

infernal machines posted:

deep dish pizza is nothing even remotely like pizza and the only people who think it somehow is pizza are from that idiot city.

it's practically a quiche

it tastes pretty good though

• Locked thread