Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

For what it's worth, I've been using this for a year or so and it does exactly what it says on the tin

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48915118#post48915118

I apparently have version 1.3 and it still works, I've not had any need to get a newer version of it

Its worked over multiple devices, and now multiple versions of windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Skarsnik posted:

Yes, but they provide a simple way around it?

"They" actually don't since "they" don't publish the OTA URLs for people to download. Google only posts the full image, not the OTA.

You have to get the OTA by trolling blogs for links after the fact. It may be "simple" but it's not really a great user experience item and it's obvious that Google really has no inclination to supporting people this way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is much better than allowing users to get OTAs on day of release because

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah I think we get you're mad about this now dude

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Bicarbon posted:

I had an issue using a VPN, no idea if it could be the same thing but figured it's worth sharing...

I had to go to "Access Point Names" and change APN Protocol to IPv4/IPv6 (by default it was just IPv6).

Oh my god thank you.

Mine was already set to IPv4/IPv6, but setting it to IPv4 only fixed my problem. It may have broken other things in the process but at least now I'm on the right path.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Considering getting ADB running on Windows is so horrible that someone built a Linux distro dedicated to running it in VM, it's not quite as simple as you're making it out to be.

baka kaba posted:

Not really, I flashed the OTA because I have all that poo poo installed from doing dev stuff. I wouldn't really want to go messing around learning about ADB and janitoring my phone otherwise. OTA flashing is pretty simple when you've done it before (and you don't need to mess with 'partial flashing' or caches or whatever), but just having the thing install would be better

If Google wants to do staged rollouts, they should at least give people the option to force an automatic update if they really want to. Mash the CHECK FOR UPDATES button enough times and get the option, put it in Developer Settings, whatever. Make people aware there might be problems if you really want. It's not a beta so there's no reason to actively block random people from getting it

I understand that there aren't enough units in the wild to make it worthwhile but I've always thought it'd be nice if Google would provide a simple application for computers that could do all of the basic Android things. You know, something that would install the driver on Windows, manage the storage on Macs, download and install updates or reinstall factory images, backup and restore SMS, that sort of stuff. I mean, if WugFresh can do it...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't think anyone is disagreeing its dumb the way it is

The thing is, you can complain all you want in an internet forum which gets you precisely gently caress all..

Or you could just adb sideload it and get the update :shrug:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Maybe I'm just crazy here, but I am serious: why not just wait for the update? Idgi

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

I must have the absolute latest version of Android on my phone and it is critical that I do because

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I imagine most people simply wait for the update notification to pop up. It's what I do, haven't really sweat over an update since 4.3, and that was only because 4.2 was such a piece of crap. A few years ago when every update was absolutely critical it was a different story of course.

What I find more concerning is how alarmingly common it is for an update to break your device and require a factory reset to work as intended. Combined with the sad state of backup and restore solutions in Android it's a pain in the rear end, even if you're more tech savvy than the average consumer. It can really taint users' perception of the platform as a whole, and it most likely has.

LastInLine posted:

I understand that there aren't enough units in the wild to make it worthwhile but I've always thought it'd be nice if Google would provide a simple application for computers that could do all of the basic Android things. You know, something that would install the driver on Windows, manage the storage on Macs, download and install updates or reinstall factory images, backup and restore SMS, that sort of stuff. I mean, if WugFresh can do it...

Something like Kies except not a complete piece of poo poo.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Desk Lamp posted:

I imagine most people simply wait for the update notification to pop up. It's what I do, haven't really sweat over an update since 4.3, and that was only because 4.2 was such a piece of crap. A few years ago when every update was absolutely critical it was a different story of course.

What I find more concerning is how alarmingly common it is for an update to break your device and require a factory reset to work as intended. Combined with the sad state of backup and restore solutions in Android it's a pain in the rear end, even if you're more tech savvy than the average consumer. It can really taint users' perception of the platform as a whole, and it most likely has.

Mostly agreed. One small detail: Few weeks, not years. Stagefright didn't get all the way cleaned up until the 1 October 2015 security patch set.

Now think about how hard it is getting even the AOSP-alike OEMs to fall in line (and that it might take a no-poo poo war to get the carriers to). By that standard, Android has at best failed at its objectives, and if you count its marketing objectives as valuable as its philosophical ones it's downright incoherent.

Even the iPhone is making the best of a bad situation; a lot of people redefine 'the good' in terms of Apple because things tend to fall into "you can and it's pretty straightforward" or "you can't" and they'd rather have it that clear-cut than have the ambiguity of "you can but you might have to put forth effort and learning".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Exactly. What's annoying is that all the tools to do it have already been made by Google with only the front end UI not being there and not packaging everything a user would need into one package.

I mean, I get that it's a developer device so users who are interested in such things should have the understanding to navigate these problems on their own and the idea is to make the platform so that such a thing should be unnecessary. All of that being true, there would be no harm to making such a platform for at least Windows and Mac and it would have to solve at least some support issues if the steps to fix problems were accessible to a common user.

It's not like there isn't precedence as I believe iTunes serves the same purpose for malfunctioning iOS devices.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I mean, I get that it's a developer device

Recent nexus devices haven't been marketed this way. I'm not sure when the switch was, but we have 5x commercials during football, and the nexus 6 is sold in stores. There isn't any kind of "THIS IS A DEVELOPER DEVICE" sign next to it in the AT&T store. None of the copy here suggests the device is being aimed anywhere but the mainstream. "it's a developer device" is not an excuse for a comparatively lovely end-user experience.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Recent nexus devices haven't been marketed this way. I'm not sure when the switch was, but we have 5x commercials during football, and the nexus 6 is sold in stores. There isn't any kind of "THIS IS A DEVELOPER DEVICE" sign next to it in the AT&T store. None of the copy here suggests the device is being aimed anywhere but the mainstream. "it's a developer device" is not an excuse for a comparatively lovely end-user experience.

I agree but it's fairly obvious Google is uninterested in supporting it as a consumer device but rather intend for it to be a banner carrier for the platform itself.

I think we can agree that Google has absolutely no idea how to communicate effectively with the end user.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

The reasoning is that rather than have a real opt-in beta program prior to the final release (the preview builds aren't really the same thing), everyone who uses a Nexus is always running beta software, so they do staged releases to make sure there's no show-stopping bugs.

Considering getting ADB running on Windows is so horrible that someone built a Linux distro dedicated to running it in VM, it's not quite as simple as you're making it out to be.

That's me. If anyone needs it:

http://goo.gl/69e0E4

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Crossposting from the Recommend me a phone thread since this thread is a lot more active.

Anyone had both a Moto X Pure and the Nexus 5X? If so which did you prefer? I haven't really kept up with phones but am looking to upgrade from a Droid Maxx. Not restricted to Verizon or those 2 phones I've just noticed those seem to be favorites around here.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

hitachi posted:

Crossposting from the Recommend me a phone thread since this thread is a lot more active.

Anyone had both a Moto X Pure and the Nexus 5X? If so which did you prefer? I haven't really kept up with phones but am looking to upgrade from a Droid Maxx. Not restricted to Verizon or those 2 phones I've just noticed those seem to be favorites around here.

The only big difference between phones is camera and skin. How important is camera to you? S6, LG G4 are the top 2. If skin is important to you (stock android) then get a 5x/6p.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Maybe I'm just crazy here, but I am serious: why not just wait for the update? Idgi

This, really. Like, don't be so desperate, chill and wait and stop freaking out on internet forums because you have to wait a few days.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Screen Protector Chat: Has anyone used Skinomi/MrShield/[insert name here] Matte protectors? I normally never use one but since I'm buying a phone outright I figure I should be careful.

I like the idea of a Matte protector because as a side bonus it will reduce glare from the regular glass which seems like a bonus. Is there any downside to using a Matte protector? ( other than less hardness than a tempered glass one )

I'm thinking things like installation ( hit or miss reviews on Amazon ), adhesiveness ( does it still stay on after a year ), and touch sensitivity.

[edit to add] Clarity would be good to know too. There seems to be a real differentiation from sellers about "HD Clear" vs "Matte/Anti-Glare" - obviously if it's going to impact the visibility/quality of the screen I won't bother with matte and just get a glass one.

I've also read reviews complaining about some of the tempered glass ones because they block the proximity sensor and it fucks with the display auto on/off when placing a call. [edit 2] - maybe disregard this, I think an old review based on the Nexus 6.

So, really not sure which route to go.

All the billions of companies that offer them all say they're incredible etc, so some real world experience would be nice to confirm.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 27, 2015

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

5436 posted:

The only big difference between phones is camera and skin. How important is camera to you? S6, LG G4 are the top 2. If skin is important to you (stock android) then get a 5x/6p.

Camera isn't really a big deal to me. The size of the 6p is a bit concerning to me just because it seems like a big jump from what I have. Might have to see if I can find one in store to see how it is.

Are there no major differences between the Moto X and Nexus phones other than the Nexus is a pure skin and the Moto has a few of the Moto only things like push notifications or whatever they are called?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My wife and I got Project Fi invites. I think it's going to be a wash for me versus my T-Mobile plan, but we'll both be able to get new devices (I have a Nexus 4 and she has a Nexus 5) with the payment plan thing- I'm not at a point where I can shell out $850 for two phones all at once.

Is there any consensus on Fi? I'm mostly interested in how it connects to public wifi- that would be the only real way for me to realize savings on my bill.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

hitachi posted:

Are there no major differences between the Moto X and Nexus phones other than the Nexus is a pure skin and the Moto has a few of the Moto only things like push notifications or whatever they are called?

The new Nexus phones also have fingerprint readers.

Glass of Milk posted:

Is there any consensus on Fi? I'm mostly interested in how it connects to public wifi- that would be the only real way for me to realize savings on my bill.

You can ask the people in the Fi thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747918

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

This, really. Like, don't be so desperate, chill and wait and stop freaking out on internet forums because you have to wait a few days.

Who's freaking out? I don't mind investing 30 seconds in posting my (very reasonable) complaint on the Something Awful forums that I'm already browsing, but I DO mind investing 30 minutes or more into connecting my Wifi Nexus 7s to a PC and doing what it takes to get the update that should have been freely available as an OTA from Day One.

It doesn't seem baffling in the least to me. It's annoying enough to post about, but I'll continue to wait for the OTA.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Has anyone noticed the 5x doesn't really charge while its in use? I plugged it in and was using it for a while and the battery just about held steady. Nothing crazy, just internet and Facebook. Turn the screen off though and it charges right up.

I downloaded a voltage app to see what kind of amps I'm getting. Plug in the cable and it goes to 2500ma. After a few seconds it drops down to between 300ma and 500ma. Turn the screen off for a minute and back on, you're back to 2500ma. Then it drops again after some time.

Does anyone have any ideas about this behavior?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FogHelmut posted:

Has anyone noticed the 5x doesn't really charge while its in use? I plugged it in and was using it for a while and the battery just about held steady. Nothing crazy, just internet and Facebook. Turn the screen off though and it charges right up.

I downloaded a voltage app to see what kind of amps I'm getting. Plug in the cable and it goes to 2500ma. After a few seconds it drops down to between 300ma and 500ma. Turn the screen off for a minute and back on, you're back to 2500ma. Then it drops again after some time.

Does anyone have any ideas about this behavior?

You're using the charger it came with, right?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sounds like an overheating prevention issue to me. Charging the battery at high power and using the processor at full capacity at the same time might have done bad things in testing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You're using the charger it came with, right?

Yes, official charger.

Unplugged, the phone is using about 500ma with the screen on. That makes sense about 2500ma plugged in with the 3amp charger.

So with the screen on, its only collecting max 1000ma. 500 for the phone usage, 500 in the positive.

Kinda sucks, I've had a reasonable charge rate with past phones while using it. The rapid charging blows them away, however. But I have plenty of situations where I'd like to be able to charge the phone effectively while its being used.

Edit - those measurements were taken at 99.5 degrees F. It's down to 97F and showing 1050ma charging.

vvv - it is Ampere.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 27, 2015

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I've not seen that. Not sure what app you are using but Ampere at least warns that there is currently a bug in Marshmallow reading the usage so might be related to what you are seeing.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty frustrated by my lack of Marshmallow update too. Can someone show me the easy-to-use OTA link for the LMY48T on the Nexus 7 2013?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My work just got new phones because we're big burly men and need big burly phones. This thing is ridiculous

Sonim XP7. It runs well enough with basically stock android but makes my Nexus 6 feel small and dainty. 21mm thick and 290 g (10.23 oz). Weight is explained by a 4800 mAh battery.

Gonna need a fanny pack to carry this thing in, holey moley

Full specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/sonim_xp7-6828.php

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, but can you fastball it into a wall?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Explorer posted:

Look at that thing, it probably served in the military.

As an artillery shell.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

I bought a nexus 6 on the weekend and it's telling me it's up to date on 5.0. I know I'm Australian and we don't get things, but even 5.1 has been out since... March?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Reverse Centaur posted:

My work just got new phones because we're big burly men and need big burly phones. This thing is ridiculous

Sonim XP7. It runs well enough with basically stock android but makes my Nexus 6 feel small and dainty. 21mm thick and 290 g (10.23 oz). Weight is explained by a 4800 mAh battery.

Gonna need a fanny pack to carry this thing in, holey moley

Full specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/sonim_xp7-6828.php

That thing is ip69 rated so you could probably toss it in a washing machine and it would come out fine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

micropath posted:

I bought a nexus 6 on the weekend and it's telling me it's up to date on 5.0. I know I'm Australian and we don't get things, but even 5.1 has been out since... March?

Carriers can interfere with the deployment of Nexus 6 OTAs even if they had nothing to do with you acquiring the phone. (Yes I know it only names AT&T, but Android Police is pretty America-centric and AT&T is exceptionally well known as Those Dicks just about everywhere, and it's hard to believe no one else has that capability and easier to believe that most carriers rubbed together a handful of neurons and realized it was a dick move best left unmade.)

Google blew it again, just not as hard as if someone could interfere with the content of them.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 27, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

5436 posted:

Is this saying the Moto X Pure camera is better than the 5X?
What about the other Moto X (Play?). I've been soured by the price of the 5X so I'm shopping around for a similar but cheaper alternative.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, probably. It's hardy as gently caress. I'd be worried about the wall though.

Optimus Subprime posted:

That thing is ip69 rated so you could probably toss it in a washing machine and it would come out fine.

Vancouver winters are like living in a washing machine so that's good.

In other news, MKBHD loves the 6P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc5fFvp8le4

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

micropath posted:

Yeah, carriers here can still interfere with OTA updates. Try using a SIM from a different company (even a cancelled number will work) or no SIM at all and restart -> update -> put real SIM back in. Telstra did the same thing to me with Nexus 5 Kitkat.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

My Nexus 6 got the Marshmallow OTA 6 days ago on Telstra, which isn't too bad but still a bit annoying... I've had to wait longer than that for previous updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

rapeface posted:

Yeah, carriers here can still interfere with OTA updates. Try using a SIM from a different company (even a cancelled number will work) or no SIM at all and restart -> update -> put real SIM back in. Telstra did the same thing to me with Nexus 5 Kitkat.

That's the thing: I don't even have a SIM in it. I bought it unlocked and I'm waiting for my Optus SIM to coke in the mail.