Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

suicidesteve posted:

My understand of old packs is that any given uncommon (say, Wasteland) is about as rare as any given rare these days. So moving Wasteland to rare in TPR made it about as common as it was at uncommon in the original Tempest.

Also I thought Flame Wave was rare for a LONG time, like until a few years ago, because oh my god how could it not be?

Tempest has 3 uncommons per booster and there were 110 uncommons. 3/110 = 2.72% chance of opening one.*

TPR has 0.875 rares per booster (1/8 chance of it being a mythic rare) and there are 53 rares. 1.65% chance of getting one.**

So no, they're not as frequent.

*Odds a little higher since the 3 uncommons won't be duplicates and I forget how to calculate that
**Ignores foils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You actually have a better chance of getting one over the course of a draft since you open three packs of remastered but only opened one pack of tempest

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Entropic posted:

The official Jace names, in order of release, are Baby Jace, Jace, Anime Jace, Michael C. Hall Jace, Unplayable Jace, Flip Jace, and Begrudgingly Playable Jace.

I think my current favorite Jace nickname is "Vice President Jace" for JVP.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

because i am a dumbass i sort of want to play that worldwake gauntlet even though some of those decks are WAY BETTER than some others. enjoy getting hit with BBE into blightning dumb rear end shrine of burning rage deck.

Entropic posted:

Is there a definitive list of "Oh, gently caress off" Limited cards?

It's got to include Pack Rat, Glorybringer, Bonfire of the Damned and, I don't know.. Jitte?

if we are going to ignore the stupidity of pestilence at common back when sets werent even remotely designed with any consideration for limited, mill jace was probably the worst because there was nothing you could do about it. in fact mill jace in four pack sealed was probably the biggest possible limited bomb in any limited format to exist.

but i have a special place in my heart for suddenly, cats!

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 25, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rabidsquid posted:

because i am a dumbass i sort of want to play that worldwake gauntlet even though some of those decks are WAY BETTER than some others. enjoy getting hit with BBE into blightning dumb rear end shrine of burning rage deck.

if we are going to ignore the stupidity of pestilence at common back when sets werent even remotely designed with any consideration for limited, mill jace was probably the worst because there was nothing you could do about it. in fact mill jace in four pack sealed was probably the biggest possible limited bomb in any limited format to exist.

but i have a special place in my heart for suddenly, cats!

Is that White Sun's Zenith?

I don't think you can properly really count anything before, like, Tempest block, for purposes of complaining about Limited. Limited didn't even really exist until at least Mirage, and there are so, so many things wrong in the early sets.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All y'all forgot Drana in ROE.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Star Man posted:

All y'all forgot Drana in ROE.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Glorybringer ain't poo poo, Drana Kalastria was the loving worst. Imagine if Glorybringer killed anything, didn't exert and dealt you 10 damage on top of it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Drana was before my time, but yeah, that seems miserable. At least your opponent gets one turn to kill it though. Glorybringer is basically a guaranteed 2+-for-1.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

suddenly, cats! is indeed white sun's zenith. honestly all of the zeniths were playable to some degree or another but in limited especially a token generating spell that never goes away was unfathomably annoying.

edit: mill sword wasnt as bad as mill jace since you could ostensibly interact with it easier but it ended games very nearly as fast.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

suddenly, cats! is indeed white sun's zenith. honestly all of the zeniths were playable to some degree or another but in limited especially a token generating spell that never goes away was unfathomably annoying.

edit: mill sword wasnt as bad as mill jace since you could ostensibly interact with it easier but it ended games very nearly as fast.

I definitely won in that format decking people with the BSZ. They were both huge bombs in sealed too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

My understand of old packs is that any given uncommon (say, Wasteland) is about as rare as any given rare these days. So moving Wasteland to rare in TPR made it about as common as it was at uncommon in the original Tempest.

Also I thought Flame Wave was rare for a LONG time, like until a few years ago, because oh my god how could it not be?

It was an uncommon in 9th edition too.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Marketing New Brain posted:

I definitely won in that format decking people with the BSZ. They were both huge bombs in sealed too.

Half the rares/mythics in som block were insane. It was annoying.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

While we're talking about cards that should have never been printed in limited... Invisible Stalker anyone? What the hell were they thinking printing a hexproof unblockable creature in the tempo color in the set with amazing equipment.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

invisible stalker without anything to wear was intensely bad so it wasn't really that bad. it felt terrible when you got domed by one with a butchers cleaver but a 20 turn clock on an uncommon wasnt really a huge deal. it was more of a Feel Bad dude than a bomb.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

Similarly to the Titans, Soul of Theros was miserable.

Sure was! At prerelease, I had an insane triple Triplicate Spirits deck where the only match (or game even) I lost involved a game 2 where I lost to the guy with Soul of Theros after about 20 turns of me soaking damage with Avacyn, Guardian Angel. He hit 3 pieces of removal for both of my Avacyns before I hit one for his Soul of Theros. I lost the first game to having a quick double Triplicate Spirits into his black spell that gave all non-black creatures -1/-1 that I didn't even know existed. :negative:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Entropic posted:

I had a game where someone cast Locust God, then untapped and cast Tragic Lesson, then cast Bloodwater Entity putting Tragic Lesson back on top of their library.

Did you win that game?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think Hour draft is my favorite limited format since khans, even if it is a bit shallow (likely due to being a small set). Basically every 2 color combo is playable, and all the non-combo/prison archetypes are playable

Cycling, reasons to block instead of race, and a good balance of common removal, value creatures, and aggro dudes are all very good.

Incidentally, standard is also at its best since khans with multiple viable archetypes, color combos, and card choices (even if a 4 mana wrath would be nice)

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Entropic posted:

Drana was before my time, but yeah, that seems miserable. At least your opponent gets one turn to kill it though. Glorybringer is basically a guaranteed 2+-for-1.

One of the things that made Drana so powerful was her Format. Because they wanted the Eldrazi to be playable, removal was good at taking out small things, but not great at big things. This means that outside of a couple red cards (Flame Slash and Heat Ray), she was immune to every kill spell in the format. Vendetta and Corpsehatch are both non-black creature, White could Guard Duty it but it still eats all your creatures, the Plummet of the format did 3 damage, and it was never getting caught in combat.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
All limited is bad, the end.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

80s James Hetfield posted:

Anything else you wish to be wrong about, while we're here?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Power Matrix from Masques was a bad idea. That is why it's in my cube.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Gatecrash might have had problems, but at least it gave us this mono bears two drops draft from LRR.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 25, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Anything else you wish to be wrong about, while we're here?

If his posting history is any indicator, it's Literally Everything.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Lone Goat posted:

If his posting history is any indicator, it's Literally Everything.

Not to be explain the post guy but I'm pretty sure after 2 1/2 pages of people going "X limited was great" or "X limited was bad" and others posts going "X was great but here's why Y sucked" it was a sarcastic comment

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TheMaestroso posted:

Gatecrash might have had problems, but at least it gave us this mono bears two drops draft from LRR.
Oh my god, this is amazing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I'm going to unironically agree with this. I have never enjoyed limited formats that much.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bought three Coldsnap boosters for 3900 yen. Used them in a Chaos draft tonight. Opened a Bauble, Counterbalance, and Thrumming Stone. Opening old booosters: good with money?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Bought three Coldsnap boosters for 3900 yen. Used them in a Chaos draft tonight. Opened a Bauble, Counterbalance, and Thrumming Stone. Opening old booosters: good with money?
And just like that, you've made more profit on opening old packs than Alpha Investments had in his whole life.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's not profit though. It's not even quite breaking even, although it's probably wicked fun playing a chaos draft and thus totally worth the price of entry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

That's not profit though. It's not even quite breaking even, although it's probably wicked fun playing a chaos draft and thus totally worth the price of entry.
:thejoke:

Edit Dude hides how much he makes on Patreon now, but it is an absurd amount of money for someone who makes videos about how smart he is for buying $500 boxes of cardboard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PMush Perfect posted:

:thejoke:

Edit Dude hides how much he makes on Patreon now, but it is an absurd amount of money for someone who makes videos about how smart he is for buying $500 boxes of cardboard.

Does he still make the really amusing videos that try to hype up Bitcoin booster boxes? His videos always remind me of the bitcoin show guy. I actually like his business model. It's kinda weird but it feels like a throwback to those columbia house club memberships where you can get FANTASTIC DEALS ON DVDs EVERY MONTH. I'm guessing he bought and continues to buy a poo poo ton of boxes whole sale and is now offloading them via the patreon "fee?"

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Does he still make the really amusing videos that try to hype up Bitcoin booster boxes? His videos always remind me of the bitcoin show guy. I actually like his business model. It's kinda weird but it feels like a throwback to those columbia house club memberships where you can get FANTASTIC DEALS ON DVDs EVERY MONTH. I'm guessing he bought and continues to buy a poo poo ton of boxes whole sale and is now offloading them via the patreon "fee?"

Yeah he sells booster boxes for 74.99 which sounds awesome but you have to be a $20 a month patron to get the price which I guess is worth it if you are buying multiple boxes a month but otherwise isn't a deal. He does buy a ridiculous amount of product. He said he had 700 Commander 2017 sets and sold them out in a few hours.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Not to be explain the post guy but I'm pretty sure after 2 1/2 pages of people going "X limited was great" or "X limited was bad" and others posts going "X was great but here's why Y sucked" it was a sarcastic comment

I've had the guy blocked for an eternity and every time someone quotes him it reminds me why. Dude just loving sucks at posting.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Lone Goat posted:

I've had the guy blocked for an eternity and every time someone quotes him it reminds me why. Dude just loving sucks at posting.

......a pro wrestling fan

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

lmao

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Speaking of good formats, I've been enjoying the triple RAV flashback draft. There are a lot of powerful uncommons and commons to work.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm going to unironically agree with this. I have never enjoyed limited formats that much.
You've just forgotten the ABCs of limited:

Always
Be
Cubing

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pro wrestling has better writing than Magic, easily.

Could you imagine if jace punted a baby

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Pro wrestling has better writing than Magic, easily.

Could you imagine if jace punted a baby

Custody Of The Multiverse Ladder Match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I hadn't drafted in a while so I decided to run a few last night. My first draft had me mulligan to five multiple times despite the deck being sweet. My next draft below was decided less sweet, guess the finish.

Here's the deck

And the finish

the somewhat surprising 3-0 6-0. My first picks in Hour were Unquenchable Thirst and Oasis Ritualist, I still don't think Sifter Wurm gets the respect it deserves, same with Ominous Sphinx.