Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

A few years ago, every now and then I'd buy chicken and I'd get a breast (or very rarely thigh) that had a weird texture, like the outermost layer of the meat would have a weird tough rubbery consistency. It was like a 1 in 100 occurrence that was gross and disappointing when it happened.

Now it's more like 1 in 10, and I've noticed it more and more in restaurant and fast food chicken even too. Did the not gross meat texture chickens disproportionately die during the last bird flu outbreak? Is it just one of the zillion things enshittifying for no good reason? I have no idea. But it's loving gross and I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Salt Fish posted:

I hope you kept them and still pressed the button just to frown at it. I don't know that's what I would have done...

My son actually used them as toys because he liked clicking the button

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

A few years ago, every now and then I'd buy chicken and I'd get a breast (or very rarely thigh) that had a weird texture, like the outermost layer of the meat would have a weird tough rubbery consistency. It was like a 1 in 100 occurrence that was gross and disappointing when it happened.

Now it's more like 1 in 10, and I've noticed it more and more in restaurant and fast food chicken even too. Did the not gross meat texture chickens disproportionately die during the last bird flu outbreak? Is it just one of the zillion things enshittifying for no good reason? I have no idea. But it's loving gross and I hate it.

i think what youre describing is a phenomenon(?) referred to as "woody breasts" and theyre not sure why it happens... probably due to commercial farming practices though . it sucks rear end though! apparently if you buy whole chickens it is less likely

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

thathonkey posted:

i think what youre describing is a phenomenon(?) referred to as "woody breasts" and theyre not sure why it happens... probably due to commercial farming practices though . it sucks rear end though! apparently if you buy whole chickens it is less likely

I'd never heard this term before, but in a cursory Google it does look like factory farming/pushing for abnormally fast growth resulting in inflammation is thought to be the most likely cause.

That sucks and it does seem like, somehow, factory farming has managed to get even shittier

The white lining on the meat that I thought correlated to this (but the meat guy at the grocery told me I was wrong) apparently does correlate, so gently caress you meat counter guy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some recent Android update included a new feature "Circle to Search". I've turned it off in settings, but Google insists on asking me to try it when my finger is on the home button. I turned it off you jerks, stop asking me constantly. I hate this poo poo. Stop adding dumb bullshit I can't turn off.

I swear every time I’m typing a text that’s more than three words it interrupts me to ask if I want to use text to speech. gently caress off I know how to type and you don’t need to sample my voice.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some recent Android update included a new feature "Circle to Search". I've turned it off in settings, but Google insists on asking me to try it when my finger is on the home button. I turned it off you jerks, stop asking me constantly. I hate this poo poo. Stop adding dumb bullshit I can't turn off.

My Pixel 6 advertises it 3X a day at random and also now pulls up my keyboard at random when I'm trying to access apps on my home screen.

I can press a couple of buttons to get it to go away, but it's still irritating.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I loving hated the pixel 6. It had that screen that wrapped around the phone so if you so much as look at it funny it would break one of the inner layers of the screen and bleed out black ink like fluid until it filled the screen and register anything that the black ink like substance touched as a press rendering it inoperable.

I liked my 2xl and the 8 so far is fine but I had to buy a screen three times for the pixel 6 and get two free repairs until I cut my losses and changed phones.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
My Pixel 3a fuckin owned for a long time (love the fingerprint sensor being on the back) but it's gotten so goddamn slow it's nearly unusable. I know I'll need to upgrade soon but gently caress do I not want to.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
bums me out that there will never be a popular uprising against all The poo poo and we just have to wait for these corps to collapse under their own incompetence or an external paradigm shift that somehow makes the current brand of exploitation unviable

i guess people get what they deserve

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

CodfishCartographer posted:

My Pixel 3a fuckin owned for a long time (love the fingerprint sensor being on the back) but it's gotten so goddamn slow it's nearly unusable. I know I'll need to upgrade soon but gently caress do I not want to.

A few months ago I switched from a Pixel 3a I've had for years to a Samsung I like a lot less (it's comparatively huge and heavy, and the screen is too sensitive, especially near the bezel). I still use the 3a for casting to the TV occasionally, but it feels like as soon as I stopped keeping the charge topped up every couple days, the battery capacity has gone right into the toilet :(

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still going with the Pixel 2 I got new at launch back in 2017. After Google dropped support for it I switched over to LineageOS for continued updates and it still feels perfectly fine for everything you'd use a phone for. It's also got the added bonus of being rooted so I could install a global adblocker. I sent it in for a battery replacement a few years ago, currently it's worn to about 75% of full capacity. I get the feeling that if batteries were still easily user replaceable most people would rarely upgrade.

Whenever this thing dies I'll probably pick up some flavour of Fairphone. It's made to have easily replaceable parts and it uses a chipset designed for industrial equipment so it should get updates for a long time. The main complaint I hear is its price:performance doesn't stack up when compared to phones from the big manufacturers, but I'm fine with that when they're paying their workers well and planning for decent long term support.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

TotalLossBrain posted:

2 options on all junk:

- Yes!
- Maybe later

Love accidentally hitting the microphone under the keyboard on my iPhone and getting the options "enable dictation" or "not now". How about "I'm never going to dictate anything to my phone, remove this icon"?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

This keeps happening to me with Live Captions.

Our time clock at work is phone-based. I have to call in, enter my employee ID number then press a number corresponding to what kind of punch I'm making.

But sometimes when I call, my phone pops up with a big "WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE LIVE CAPTION?" widget that covers up the dialer and makes it so I can't tap numbers to punch in/out. I've disabled this feature dozens of times but it still happens probably once a week. So I have to hang up, go into the settings, disable live caption again and then call again.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bobstar posted:

2 options on all junk:

- Yes!
- Maybe later

Love accidentally hitting the microphone under the keyboard on my iPhone and getting the options "enable dictation" or "not now". How about "I'm never going to dictate anything to my phone, remove this icon"?

Don't you want to use Gemini? Please use gemini... please? Maybe now? Maybe now?? USE GEMINI YOU LOSER! No? Not now? What about now? Would you like to try Gemini now? It's an amazing AI assistant built right into your phone... are you sure?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

In windows 11 if you disable the annoying notifications icon in the corner it disables clicking on the date to bring up the calendar. How dare you try to make your experience less poo poo user! HOW DARE YOU , enjoy the calendar not working LOL.Our metrics show people who disable the notification re-enable it and so clearly people love notifications.

You might be clicking on the wrong date. I have notifications disabled and can click on the date to bring up the calendar. However, the date click only works on your primary monitor because Microsoft is dedicated to making the user experience as bad as possible. So if you have two or more monitors, try the date in the corner of one of the other ones.

I'm not discounting the possibility that there's other Microsoft fuckery happening, either. They're also bad at having a consistent experience across all users. Just that this might be the problem for you.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Our time clock at work is phone-based. I have to call in, enter my employee ID number then press a number corresponding to what kind of punch I'm making.

What the gently caress

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
idk sounds kinda based

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I worked at a place that had that until it somehow came up in a meeting and nobody in payroll had even heard of the timecard system every hourly employee was using and had been going off when people scan their passes to enter/leave the building for like 20 years.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
some retirement accounts about to get effed up

https://www.inquirer.com/business/vanguard-new-ceo-ramji-blackrock-20240514.html

Vanguard chooses former BlackRock executive as its next CEO

quote:

Ramji was head of BlackRock’s iShares and Index Investing Group, competing head-to-head against Vanguard’s top products, when he left BlackRock in January. He joined BlackRock from consultant McKinsey & Co., where he headed the asset management group.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Over the last few years we moved from phone lines to Cisco soft phones to Microsoft Teams calling, so now calling my office phone number comes in through Teams. Which sucks! I get constant spam calls on my work number and since I have absolutely no need for a desk phone, for years I've just silently forwarded everything to voicemail that I never check. Anyone I would ever conceivably need/want to talk to is an internal person who is also on MS Teams. So I just enabled "forward all calls to voicemail," problem solved.

But at some point Teams stopped distinguishing between "some gently caress calling my phone number" and "somebody in-org calling me directly in Teams." It sends the bullshit calls to voicemail, but outright rejects any attempt to call me within Teams. So for the last three months, I've been uncallable and had no idea.

On the one hand this forces everyone to just...message me, which I certainly prefer, but I'm not trying to be unavailable to the people who actually need me. gently caress you Teams!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 17, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Squiggle posted:

What the gently caress

There's also a biometric scanner we can use as a timecard in the lobby but I work from home most days so I can't use that!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

There's also a biometric scanner

What the gently caress

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

You might be clicking on the wrong date. I have notifications disabled and can click on the date to bring up the calendar. However, the date click only works on your primary monitor because Microsoft is dedicated to making the user experience as bad as possible. So if you have two or more monitors, try the date in the corner of one of the other ones.

I'm not discounting the possibility that there's other Microsoft fuckery happening, either. They're also bad at having a consistent experience across all users. Just that this might be the problem for you.

Internet totally agrees with me and says there's nothing to be done except downloading third party solutions/not disabling the notification symbol. Not that that necessarily makes me/it right, but it also means I'm totally not alone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apparently people are now converting pdfs into lovely html5 flipbooks

https://fliphtml5.com/

so you have to clikc and drag pages and can't copy text, download them, or do easy searching. but it's fancy

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

so you have to clikc and drag pages and can't copy text, download them, or do easy searching. but it's fancy
Can you punch a website out of existence asking for a friend

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Tunicate posted:

Whoa it has “AI integration”

badass

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018
im sure Google has enough data on me to know that i'm married so it seems kind of evil to constantly show me youtube ads for tinder
(yeah i know install adblock but I'm too lazy to set it up on my TV)

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

by Pragmatica
I feel like cum has changed in the last couple of years

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Manky Tungeon posted:

im sure Google has enough data on me to know that i'm married so it seems kind of evil to constantly show me youtube ads for tinder
(yeah i know install adblock but I'm too lazy to set it up on my TV)

i have never seen a youtube ad for tinder, ever, and I've used tinder

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

CoffeeBoofer posted:

Eat more citrus and cinnamon. Don't eat garlic and onion and dairy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

i have never seen a youtube ad for tinder, ever, and I've used tinder

They've already netted you as a customer, so why would they show one? Now you're just going to get ads for Bumble, Grindr, OKCupid, Fuckstrs, Twinkle, and Bizbang.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Our printer system used to be simple: be logged into a work computer, hit print, select which printer and out it came.

This was too easy, so they added a system called followme, so now you hit print, go to a printer, scan a card and it prints. We're a big campus so if I'm printing something that needs colour or binding (no colour printers allowed in the offices, just in printery) it's a 5 min walk. Previously this meant that the printing would have a 5 min head start, but obviously not now.

They also rolled out the system before giving us the cards, so there was a 2 week period where a campus of hundreds of students couldn't print anything.
They also tried to charge us $20 a pop if we lost a printer card, until the union stamped on that.

I just got an email, now in the interest of efficiency to print you will need to log into a computer, select a printer, hit print, the system WILL CALL YOU ON YOUR WORK NUMBER you hit the hash key to confirm, then it will start printing.

Meanwhile to access student details, including their phone numbers, emails, address, copies of their drivers license or passport you need a staff email address ( available on our cards, on course notes etc.) And a 4 digit pin. No two factor identification.

When I brought up at a management meeting that it would be easier to steal a students identity than print a booklet I was told that excessive printing had been a problem, but no student had ever had their information compromised.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just got an email, now in the interest of efficiency to print you will need to log into a computer, select a printer, hit print, the system WILL CALL YOU ON YOUR WORK NUMBER you hit the hash key to confirm, then it will start printing.

Hahah Jesus Christ

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

CoffeeBoofer posted:

There is a whole movement of MAGA types obsessed with pure, untainted, vaccine-free ejaculate. So maybe your tastebuds have changed too

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Don't eat garlic and onion and dairy.

I will starve

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

What the gently caress

Had that at my old job. Management thought it was the best idea ever of course.

Then staff discovered it didn't recognise anyone with a darker skin tone.

Also someone asked, 'so are you going to Erase my biometrics if I leave?' which was of course met with blank stares from management.

When they brought in mandatory drug and alcohol testing (with zero tolerance on positive results) the sales team had an absolute poo poo fit.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Eat more citrus and cinnamon. Don't eat garlic and onion and dairy.

what the gently caress i love garlic onion and dairy ur telling me this is loving with my precious bodily fluids?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

What the gently caress

I work for a security company (physical security systems + cybersec) and it's just a thumbprint scanner. I don't use it anyway though I just call the phone timeclock!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thinking about it though reminded me of something else that has got inexplicably shittier and that's compliance training videos at work. Because now there's mandatory compliance training for active shooter situations where you have to watch videos about how if you can't run or hide you should band together with your colleagues into a war party and fight with improvised weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Thinking about it though reminded me of something else that has got inexplicably shittier and that's compliance training videos at work. Because now there's mandatory compliance training for active shooter situations where you have to watch videos about how if you can't run or hide you should band together with your colleagues into a war party and fight with improvised weapons

As an Australian, what the actual gently caress.