Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Captain Hygiene posted:

To be fair, she is a woman, and we cannot stand for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

idk. on the one hand she doesn't sound like she's got a handle on how to manage her life, but on the other hand it sounds like she's in a lovely place where she's too sick to hold steady entry-level employment but not sick enough to qualify for disability.

on further reflection i realize this may not actually be the case and i may be projecting qualities on this person from someone else who i know

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

on further reflection i realize this may not actually be the case and i may be projecting qualities on this person from someone else who i know

You can't reflect in here, this is the hot takes on reddit drama thread!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Husband sexting with younger coworker - how to heal after discovery

quote:

Just an example from messages:
I'm seriously gonna vom

quote:

DEAR AMY: I’ve been with my boyfriend for five years. He has been totally estranged from his mother the whole time I’ve known him. I’ve never met her.

Well, his mother started messaging with me on Facebook and she really wants to get back into his life. She wants to apologize for the mistakes she has made.

I invited her over to our house without telling my boyfriend. He blew up when he saw her and now says that he wants to break up with me.

I was just trying to help mend his relationship with his mom! What can I do to get him to come back?

– Devastated

DEAR DEVASTATED: What you did shows a serious lack of respect for your guy, and for the boundary he has set with his mother.

Even though you say you meant well, doing all of this behind his back was devious – of both of you.

In my far-off view, it seems that you got “played” by his mother. If she wanted to apologize to him, she could have written him a letter.

And now – you owe him an apology, as well as a promise to respect his boundaries with family members.

An apology might not get him to come back to you, but you owe it to him, anyway.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Desert Bus posted:

As a long term disabled person I highly recommend you get real into live music. Disabled seating at shows rules. Call ahead or just show up with a wheelchair or a cane and someone will sweep you off into excellent seating with chairs and a good view etc. If you got a cane in hand you skip the bathroom lines too.

And sometimes people offer you free drugs!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Husband sexting with younger coworker - how to heal after discovery

R/relationships: How to gently caress well. And be well hosed

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

metachronos posted:

And sometimes people offer you free drugs!

I see you've met me.

Joking aside you can smuggle SO MANY DRUGS inside a hollow cane.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

R/relationships: How to gently caress well. And be well hosed

if you wanna be well hosed, that's easy, just get a 4 year degree in the liberal arts with student loans

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

please do not gently caress wells, that's how you contaminate your water supply

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

dervival posted:

please do not gently caress wells, that's how you contaminate your water supply

I only stick my fingers into Dikes.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

As a long term disabled person I highly recommend you get real into live music. Disabled seating at shows rules. Call ahead or just show up with a wheelchair or a cane and someone will sweep you off into excellent seating with chairs and a good view etc. If you got a cane in hand you skip the bathroom lines too.

I just had this experience for the first time a few months ago at a grungy metal show in Philly, it was amazing. I'm seeing one of my favorite bands next month and their "disability seating" is actually a dope balcony box. Parking at shows is also exponentially easier now that I have a handicapped placard. So stoked that I don't have to say goodbye to live music, if only the rest of the world was as accommodating as smelly metal venues.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Desert Bus posted:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

trickybiscuits posted:

This one was a bit of a roller coaster

AITA for telling my disabled friend that "not everything should have wheelchair access"
YTA

NTA

full post

A nice update for this where they talked it out like real people:

quote:

UPDATE: This sort of exploded unexpectedly. I've read nearly every comment. Seems like the general consensus is "okay with general sentiment, but poor choice of words which conveyed something much worse".

I knocked on her door and apologised for how I said it. I said I mispoke by using the word "should" - basically I meant "could" in the sense it would damage local cultural sentiments and natural features to add accessibility services to it. We had a chat. She was sad to miss out on the bigger hike when she saw us packing for it, and I was stressed because we were packing a bit late and we didn't have time to litigate this.

We're good now. We've been friends for about 8 years and both of us regularly enjoy spirited "arguments" but it's normally not about this topic. This was the first time it came up so I'm still learning the ropes on how to approach this area so some of the YTA comments helped with that. Thanks all.

As someone who's not physically able to do everything and is happy to campaign for broader access, it still stings a little when your friends are like "ok we're going to go do this cool thing you can't do bye!". Lashing out about it is unproductive at best and harmful at worst, though, so hopefully they can both learn from this.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Desert Bus posted:

I say this as a severely physically disabled person. What if they just put an escalator to the top of Mount Everest? The whole point of experiencing nature in all of it's raw power and beauty is surely to be found in humans loving it all up.

There is an immense amount of natural beauty that can be safely enjoyed by even the least able bodied. It's OK to not climb that mountain or whatever? Go find things you can do and advocate for those.

this. some things people just cant just go and do, hell i'm fully able bodied (lol for an old) but me getting to rip around in an f1 car or a fighter jet solo lol no one is going to just let me do that no matter how much id like to, my eyesight is too lovely and my reflexes are old slow man.

that being said

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A nice update for this where they talked it out like real people:

As someone who's not physically able to do everything and is happy to campaign for broader access, it still stings a little when your friends are like "ok we're going to go do this cool thing you can't do bye!". Lashing out about it is unproductive at best and harmful at worst, though, so hopefully they can both learn from this.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
To be fair, Mount Everest has already been royally hosed by human activity, so they might as well just slap an escalator on it and call it a day.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

To be fair, Mount Everest has already been royally hosed by human activity, so they might as well just slap an escalator on it and call it a day.

Mount Escalator. The tallest in the world! No Sherpas needed!

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Mt Tongariro is stunning, I can understand being upset with missing out on a trip around it.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

I have several pictures of me doing this lol. I was scared shitless the first like 5 times.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Always heartwarming to see a good, reasonable update of everybody lowering the stakes and muddling through. We’re not all hopeless cases.

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

metachronos posted:

I have several pictures of me doing this lol. I was scared shitless the first like 5 times.

Was there an escalator in the pit?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

CoffeeBoofer posted:

Was there an escalator in the pit?

How else do you think people get out of a pit? Stairs lol? A RAMP? come on dude

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

How else do you think people get out of a pit? Stairs lol? A RAMP? come on dude

Every concert venue should have a gondola, imo

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I always have a backpack with a Fulton balloon and transponder for getting out of any public space in a hurry

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

selec posted:

I always have a backpack with a Fulton balloon and transponder for getting out of any public space in a hurry

A "Go Bag"

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

haveblue posted:

So why don't you do it in a game designed with that in mind instead of taking a game that wasn't and demanding everyone ignore 1/3 of it

tons of people enjoy playing the game that way and have done so for decades so i dont know what your argument is here

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

quantumwell posted:

I thought Reddit was going to support her but she's getting roasted in the comments.

she seems absolutely awful in every detail she reveals about her life. like complaining she was too busy looking up healthy frozen meals for her daughter to do anything productive(???) or saying she had to really concentrate on signing a drat permission slip

she seems like the sort of person thats always avoiding responsabilities and work and always has some sort of excuse to not do anything. filming someone in secret is pretty bad but i can easily see how the husband got there after the 1000th time the wife came up with a lame excuse for not doing something

babypolis fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 14, 2024

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Hughlander posted:

AITAH for refusing to kick my neice out of my home even though it will make my sister and her family homeless?

"We don't want to live anywhere that wouldn't cause our daughter pain!"

I respect the sister's focus on making her daughter miserable

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A bit of schadenfreude from r/tifu:

quote:

TIFU by taking my sister to a titty bar

A few years back, my sister, college friend, and I were in the effort of moving states together from Michigan to Tennessee. We were visiting the Knoxville area in order to check out a few apartments, as well as to attend a local church service to see how we feel about the area. After church, we were hungry and looking for places to eat in Knoxville, and came across this rustic looking, country themed restaurant that we didn't have in Michigan, called Twin Peaks. From the look of the sign, I thought it would be like Buffalo Wild Wings meets Cabellas. You know, a country themed wing place. The sign did say, "scenic views" so I figured it had a rustic decore like Cabellas. Stuffed animals hanging on the walls and that sort of thing. Well, we walk in and are surprised to see girls in tight fitting daisy dukes and sporting lots of cleavage in their plaid shirts. Then the realization came over me like a semi-truck over roadkill. That's why they called it "Twin Peaks!" That's what they meant by "Scenic Views!" Well, we were already there and it felt way, way, way to awkward to just walk out after the waitress already greeted us, even more awkward than coming to this sort of place with my baby sister after attending church. So, we took our seats, and the food turned out to be pretty darn good! 10/10 would go again, just not on Sunday with my baby sister.

TLDR Accidently went to Twin Peaks with my little sister having no clue what the place was.

Edit: Thank you for correcting me that Twin Peaks is a "Breastaurant" and not a "Titty Bar." I knew going in that that was not the correct term, but I truly could not think of what else to call it because I never heard a term for it before now. Sorry for misleading any of you.

:allears: I just love that last paragraph.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I too have almost gone into Twin Peaks and was stopped by a family member who wanted to prevent that exact scenario

I just was like, wow cool a David Lynch reference haha wonder if the inside is all American kitschy in reference to the show :psyduck: why would anyone ever make that into a restaurant, self?? Oy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

thhatTT brrrEASTAURANTT connncEPTT yooUU lliiIKKE issSS gooilINNG toO coOMME baCKK inNN sstYLLE

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
me walking into Hooters with my little sister: "the owls are not what they seem"

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I too have almost gone into Twin Peaks and was stopped by a family member who wanted to prevent that exact scenario

I just was like, wow cool a David Lynch reference haha wonder if the inside is all American kitschy in reference to the show :psyduck: why would anyone ever make that into a restaurant, self?? Oy.

I thought it was a weirdly large coffee shop because coffee grows on mountains?? I didn't go in.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Tilted Kilt???

Finally someone has brought fine Scottish cuisine to America, lads!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for divorcing my husband for putting a camera in our house to prove a point about me?

The kids are in school all day. A landscaping service does the outdoor chores. A maid service does the indoor chores. Dinner is frozen meals ordered from a service. But she's too busy to sign her child's permission slip because signing a permission slip is an incredibly difficult time-consuming task that requires her absolute 100% focus? Busy doing what?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It sounds like she does the books for his HVAC company

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Do I want to know what the difference is between a titty bar and a breastaurant? The menu?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

me walking into Hooters with my little sister: "the owls are not what they seem"

:golfclap:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Bruceski posted:

Do I want to know what the difference is between a titty bar and a breastaurant? The menu?

A titty bar is a strip club. They dance and actually get naked (or nearly) and may do private dances and the like.

A breastaurant is like Hooters. It’s just a restaurant but the waitresses are all dressed skimpily and supposed to be hot. Hooters and Twin Peaks are the big ones. Tilted Kilt is supposed to be but honestly the two times I’ve been in one they were dressed about the same as any other Irish bar/restaurant. Worse food though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
And for the horny businessman on the go, there's always bikini baristas!

edit:

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The kids are in school all day. A landscaping service does the outdoor chores. A maid service does the indoor chores. Dinner is frozen meals ordered from a service. But she's too busy to sign her child's permission slip because signing a permission slip is an incredibly difficult time-consuming task that requires her absolute 100% focus? Busy doing what?

Her followup comments are a treat:

quote:

I will pay the monthly bills and then have some things to mail. He'll then drop in and say " hey- can you take these checks with you to the post office too" on very short notice. Of course he doesn't seem to think me often having to take an extra trip and deal with the long lines at the post office ( where the workers often take extra long breaks) is not work or inconveniencing.

quote:

If he wanted to mail the checks, he should have taken them and carved out time when he was in between job sites. After our fight he snatched the envelopes out and found out why going to the post office in the afternoon is awful.

quote:

No- because he thinks that dealing with the slow inefficiency of the post office is not " real work" when I'm the one doing it. But when he went after our fight to mail the checks, somehow dealing with the long line right before closing was work for him.

He thinks that because he's the one generating the checks ( which takes two seconds) and printing them, that that is somehow more payable work than what I do because " I was going to the post office anyway."

But often my things to mail out can wait, but his cannot or else he gets into it with me.

If I was paid for the labor I did in the tasks I constantly pick up for the household- dry cleaning, cooking, shopping, he'd be bankrupt.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It sounds like she does the books for his HVAC company

No, he brought up that he does the books himself as an example of the various responsibilities that he juggles, he had just asked her to take some checks to send out in the mail (which she didn't do on the timetable he asked because she didn't think it was necessary.)