Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

holy poo poo it just keeps getting worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
You would think he would have someone write it for him, but that's pure Keysey.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I was going to "i'm happy for you tho or sorry that happened" that but I read it all and holy poo poo

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
You just know he's going to be internally congratulating himself for that awful "walk in the Villa Park" line for the next month, the prat

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I first was stunned at his defense of Dubai but then didn’t quite know what to make of this part in his defense of the other Middle Eastern petrostate

Richard Keys posted:

Thank goodness social norms are slightly ahead of legal laws, and we’re now at the stage where most people don’t care about two men or women enjoying each other’s company – unless, perhaps, it’s two Premier League or Women’s Super League footballers judging from the current statistics?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I think it’s an incredibly cack handed way to say that homosexual relationships are generally accepted by society at large but football fans wouldn’t accept footballers coming out even though statistically there are obviously some in the closet?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

If you can't at least laugh your rear end off at Christian Pulisic giving it back to David Ochoa for his "Mexico is the mirror in which the USMNT sees themselves" statement after Ochoa switched from the US to Mexico literally just months ago - he even dressed for the USA this year - there is something misfiring upstairs.
LOL I only just now realized how badly I hosed this up

i guess that's what happens when you get your Ochoas mixed up

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/90min_football/status/1461396305549434899?s=21

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ron Jr lmao

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Half of those players won't even be playing in 2030.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

greenwood and sancho lmao

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

African AIDS cum posted:

greenwood and sancho lmao

Someone remind us to lol at this in 2030.

E: I meant to quote the tweet not this specific reply

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
putting all those England players in there is giving me flashbacks to

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

midfielders are for soft foreigns who don’t like it up em

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

vyelkin posted:

That's exactly what I thought of.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mickolution posted:

That's exactly what I thought of.

There was another one I remember but can't find that was a bunch of U21 players who ended up playing in like League 2. I think Scott Sinclair was in it.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

Ah yes the 5-1-4

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

vyelkin posted:

There was another one I remember but can't find that was a bunch of U21 players who ended up playing in like League 2. I think Scott Sinclair was in it.

RIP Michael Johnson's knees and career. This is from 2007

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Feel like you could easily do a 200 page 'england teams of the future' megathread

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The 2003 attempt is much better, at least the majority of the players had solid international careers.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

The 2003 attempt is much better, at least the majority of the players had solid international careers.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure (but can't be bothered looking) that 8 of those 11 went on to get >10 caps. You can't even take the piss out of the formation because it's no weirder than the knots successive managers tied themselves into trying to get Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes to work together.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
I mean, five of them already had 10+ caps when it was written. Two never played for England at all, and two more only got one cap. One of the others is Wayne Rooney, who I'm not sure you get that many points for saying would be a decent player.

The full article is here if anyone wants to read it.

quote:

A brace by 19-year-old Michael Tonge against Liverpool on Wednesday, while 20-year-old Neil Mellor was scoring at the other end, added two more names to this term's astounding production line of promise.

And future England manager Alan Shearer must be rubbing his sensible hands together in glee at the pot of gold maturing before his very eyes.

It's not great. The linked ones on the right about other RISING STARS are great though. RIP Richie Partridge, apparently you're now a physio with the Qatar national team.

Wazzerphuk fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 20, 2021

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Michael Owen had 44 appearances for England by the end of 2002, and died in a knee explosion in 2006

it is a bad prediction

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
RISING STARS: Talent of tomorrow: Paul Konchesky

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I think the day I'll officially become old is the day Theo Walcott goes into management. Just there and then spontaneously have opinions about how football was better in my day because clearly it's someone else's day now

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/IntChampionsCup/status/1461722316275011587

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

that would be amazing

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Imagining klopps kickoff when Liverpool have to play 4 games in a week and one of them is in Mexico

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

had a quick look at google maps, if you're in Lisbon you're almost as close to New York as you are to St. Petersburg lol

EDIT: Liverpool is nearly as close to the US east coast as it is to Baku loving hell

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 21, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Imagining klopps kickoff when Liverpool have to play 4 games in a week and one of them is in Mexico
Okay lads just a quick 5,000-mile jaunt to Mexico City to play in the smog at an altitude that's about three times as high as any point in England nbd.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Im yearning the day I see MLS teams playing in Copa Libertadores.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Put them on the qualifying rounds, would love to see them fail against the Sheriffs and Waxtaps of the world

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
make them play in the Europa Conference League

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

hello i am phone posted:

Im yearning the day I see MLS teams playing in Copa Libertadores.
Cascadia hipsters try to walk up to River Plate ultras to exchange scarves and discuss chants and things don't go according to plan

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Crazy Ted posted:

Cascadia hipsters try to walk up to River Plate ultras to exchange scarves and discuss chants and things don't go according to plan

How do you say "we don't give a crud!" in Spanish?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Kinda happened something like that to some Gremio fan group when they went to play the Libertadores final against Boca jrs. in 2007 so I could totally see it.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mikeparry8/status/1464974983084621831

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Obligatory mike parry tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI0FQGqgS_s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Its amazing that this is the majority of quotes on most Facebook football pages. How players should spend more time training and less time doing stuff like this.