Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

loving goddamnit.

We got blown out for the 4th game in a row. We were in every game and winning several in the beginning of the year, and then all the teams started stocking up on ringers, and now we're where we're at. The team we played tonight had several new players, all with college stickers on their helmets and shells and whatnot. This is so loving lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Got blown out tonight. Short bench, I switched to playing defense and played probably 35 minutes. I have a new appreciation for guys like Suter who play 30 minutes a night at the NHL level, my legs are dead. On the plus side even though we lost I was only on the ice for one goal against, so I must have been doing something right.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013
We were still looking for win #1 of the season last night, playing against a mid-tier team. We were down 4-3 in the third. I pick it up at our left circle and bull my way through a defender, tap it around another, and off to the races. Finished it with a sexy deke and a poke-check inspired trip into the boards.

Then we gave up 2 in the next 3 minutes because I guess we were thirsty for Tecate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got win #1 Saturday night. 2-0, I had nothing to do with either goal but I did help keeping the shutout by blocking a couple shots. I did get a solid shot in a 2 on 1 which felt pretty good but the goalie stopped it.

That game started at 11:15 at night, got home around 1am. Then the time changed so it was actually 2am, and I had to get up at 5:30 for my Sunday skate. 3.5 hours of sleep. :feelsgood:

I got home and slept until noon.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

I got win #1 Saturday night. 2-0, I had nothing to do with either goal but I did help keeping the shutout by blocking a couple shots. I did get a solid shot in a 2 on 1 which felt pretty good but the goalie stopped it.

That game started at 11:15 at night, got home around 1am. Then the time changed so it was actually 2am, and I had to get up at 5:30 for my Sunday skate. 3.5 hours of sleep. :feelsgood:

I got home and slept until noon.

You should have heard some of the people at the 8:30 session complaining about the time change. A bunch of guys were in the cross-ice tournament or out drinking.

Was your practice as crappy as ours was? Nobody could receive a pass to save their lives yesterday morning and we just couldn't get any drills going. The coaches were saying it wasn't just our groups.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My practice was fine, other than the fact that there were only 14 people on the ice.

Which is good from my perspective, lots of reps on all the drills.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I have so much appreciation for scoring 2-way centers. The last few weeks I’ve been playing center, and it’s so insanely difficult to stay responsible in your own end, keep up with the play all the way into the offensive zone, and then skate back. I always end up trailing the wingers on the rush and staying in the high slot, but even that is tiring and I have to really rely on the wingers to keep possession. Totally gassed even after rolling 3 forward lines.

On another note, last week there was no game before us, so we were able to actually have a proper warm-up. This helped tremendously. I really wish that was the case every week, but usually it’s the Zamboni getting off the ice, jumping onto the ice while it’s still wet, then warm-up for 2 mins, and puck drop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's nothing quite as satisfying as a lengthy on ice warmup but there's plenty you can do off ice to get limbered up.. those dynamic stretches you do while skating laps are just as effective in the locker room. :v:

The 1-5 minute chunk before puck drop is for the goalie's benefit anyways, get some pucks in their pads and settle them in.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Loqieu posted:

I have so much appreciation for scoring 2-way centers. The last few weeks I’ve been playing center, and it’s so insanely difficult to stay responsible in your own end, keep up with the play all the way into the offensive zone, and then skate back. I always end up trailing the wingers on the rush and staying in the high slot, but even that is tiring and I have to really rely on the wingers to keep possession.

So much of this depends on your team and how they handle forechecking pressure. If your defensemen are good with the puck and you trust them to make a successful breakout pass that'll let you as the center anticipate, turn up ice quickly, and be that headman pass out of the zone.

But if you're covering a guy down low in the slot because your defenseman is fighting with the guy behind the net or in the corner, it's going to be hard to make up that distance difference. Compound this with the likelihood that your beer league teams have wingers that think the good spot for a breakout is at the blue line. That kinda distance to make up is really tough.

But yeah, it's tiring.

xzzy posted:

There's nothing quite as satisfying as a lengthy on ice warmup but there's plenty you can do off ice to get limbered up.. those dynamic stretches you do while skating laps are just as effective in the locker room. :v:

The 1-5 minute chunk before puck drop is for the goalie's benefit anyways, get some pucks in their pads and settle them in.

I actually had a coach that advised us to NOT stretch cold. If you're doing it before the game do some stuff to get the heart rate up, get the muscles warm, etc. Which no adult is ever going to do on their own free will.

And that time before the puck drops is for everyone. It's not a time to practice sick dangles, you're right in that regard, let the goalies track the puck and get a feel. But feel free to take that time to do what you need to do as a player.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 10, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

I actually had a coach that advised us to NOT stretch cold. If you're doing it before the game do some stuff to get the heart rate up, get the muscles warm, etc. Which no adult is ever going to do on their own free will.

Static stretches are bad, the types where dudes hold a pose for 10-20 seconds then release. While that does stretch you out it's been demonstrated to slow down muscle response in subsequent activities. Dynamic is pretty good stuff though.. leg swings, spinning a hockey stick in one hand, stick on the shoulders and twisting your shoulder is all good. It helps lubricate all the joints, gets the body ready to move, and in the case of hockey, reduces chance of injury during collisions. Static stretches are for after the workout to develop your overall flexibility.

Last summer I started showing up to all my skates a full hour early to give me time to do a proper off ice warmup. The benefits were immediate.. I felt better when I hit the ice and I could devote whatever free moments I had to warming up my puck handling or putting shots on the goalie.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I was such a fast non-scoring 2 way center that I got moved to defense and boy is that fun. Not that chasing dudes is appropriate, but its funny to see guys give up on a possible chance when you're suddenly right on them. Also when my goalie is hollering to clear the crease and coming in and laying the person out. :feelsgood:
Only gripe though is that our refs are total poo poo when counting assists. I easily had 3-6 good setups that lead to goals (we won 10-1), 3 of which should be primary assists too. D2D to cherry picker passes all day.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My favorite part of defense is taking it coast to coast from behind your own net. I'm like Bobby Orr out there, except I'm skating around old fat guys and the occasional middle aged woman.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

xzzy posted:

Static stretches are bad, the types where dudes hold a pose for 10-20 seconds then release. While that does stretch you out it's been demonstrated to slow down muscle response in subsequent activities. Dynamic is pretty good stuff though.. leg swings, spinning a hockey stick in one hand, stick on the shoulders and twisting your shoulder is all good. It helps lubricate all the joints, gets the body ready to move, and in the case of hockey, reduces chance of injury during collisions. Static stretches are for after the workout to develop your overall flexibility.

Last summer I started showing up to all my skates a full hour early to give me time to do a proper off ice warmup. The benefits were immediate.. I felt better when I hit the ice and I could devote whatever free moments I had to warming up my puck handling or putting shots on the goalie.

This is all good advice. Usually before all my games I go for a quick jog on the treadmill or at the very least run on the spot for a bit. Anything you can do to get the blood flowing and muscles warmed up is better than starting a game out cold. Not only will you reduce injury but you will actually notice an improvement in your game and in your stamina.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

canuckanese posted:

My favorite part of defense is taking it coast to coast from behind your own net. I'm like Bobby Orr out there, except I'm skating around old fat guys and the occasional middle aged woman.

It also helps identify which forwards are paying attention and cover the point while Mr. Flashy Defenseman dekes his way to the blue paint and totally fails to seal the deal, bouncing it off a post or off the goalies pads.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

canuckanese posted:

My best moment from this weekend was getting a loose puck in our zone, wheeling around the back of our net, skating around their forechecker, and up ice into their zone.

Of course I promptly turned over the puck once I was in their zone, but still I carried it up...

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

I might have to try that, but I'd feel like a fool dancing around in a locker room. I usually leave my house an hour before game time, think doing that at home before I hit the road is too long of a time between game?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

canuckanese posted:

This always leads to hilarious results and the forwards wondering how the gently caress I snuck past everyone. This past week I put a shoulder into someone while going around them too. It is me, I am Brad Marchand on defense. :lol:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

xzzy posted:

It also helps identify which forwards are paying attention and cover the point while Mr. Flashy Defenseman dekes his way to the blue paint and totally fails to seal the deal, bouncing it off a post or off the goalies pads.

False, I lead my team and the league in goals (and I'm also super humble, as you can see)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Some of the best games I've had are when I'm fresh off running through the airport to get home in time to grab my gear and get to the rink.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Fair enough, do you have a routine or listing that you go through for these? I ain't showing up an hour early, and I'll likely come into the rink as the zam is on the ice, but for those occasions when i do have time I wouldn't mind doing some things while watching the earlier game finish up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Fair enough, do you have a routine or listing that you go through for these? I ain't showing up an hour early, and I'll likely come into the rink as the zam is on the ice, but for those occasions when i do have time I wouldn't mind doing some things while watching the earlier game finish up.

AHAI was pimping this video a couple months ago:

http://www.noozebox.com/2013/12/before-you-drop-the-puck-essential-stretching-exercises-from-jp-bordeleau/

One of the coaches for my instructional league is a doctor in sports medicine and he walks us through an on-ice warmup for clinics. I basically emulate that off ice. Bonus is I can do this either before I get dressed or with full gear on so if I get to the rink late I can use any idle time to get some of it done. Goes something like:

* If there's a staircase I'll jog up and down them a few times to get the heart going, if I'm on skates walking sideways with crossovers works too
* hockey stick held in the middle in one hand, extend arm, twist arm to spin the stick like a baton. Do both hands
* hockey stick held on shoulders, with a wide grip, like you'd hold a barbell for squats. Twist upper torso to rotate the spine.
* hockey stick at lower back, same as previous but this one rotates the hips a bit more
* do a couple reaches for the toes, can hold stick in both hands if you want
* stand on one foot, raise knee so thigh is horizontal then move that knee to the side, then lower the foot to the floor. repeat on each leg several times
* several lunges for each leg

Then I'll go back to the crossovers or stickhandle with a ball until the ice is ready.

If it doesn't get your heart going a bit, you aren't doing it fast enough. :v:

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
My D league team is now 3-2 and I got my first official assist this past Sunday :woop:

I've found that I really enjoy playing defense, though not so much when its 2 on 1 and both oncoming guys are HUGE! (okay, maybe only 5-6 inches taller than me but they seem to be giants). It does make poke checking the puck away from them that much more satisfying though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love playing defense, I just can't accelerate fast enough going backwards to keep up with most dudes. Since my crossovers are still pretty weak I can't make much of a lateral move either.

I try to play center as much as possible to compensate, which is also a heap of fun. It's pretty great to beat a guy on a faceoff.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Expanding upon what Xzzy has already posted your dynamic warmup is split into 3 sections; Activation, Mobilization and an explosive portion at the end. As Xzzy has pointed out, doing only static stretches before stepping on the ice is generally not optimal as you are lengthening your muscle fibres rather than encouraging them to contract/extend/slide over each other as you would in a dynamic warmup - that said, there is some argument for doing both as part of a combined warmup (static to loosen up sore/stiff areas, dynamic to then prepare yourself for activity) which I personally buy into.

Typically speaking a good dynamic warmup will take about 10-15 minutes depending on how serious business you are about it. My field hockey warmup where I compete at national level for example takes about 30 minutes and involves static & dynamic stretches as well as foam rolling exercises to release tension. My beer league warmup takes 5 minutes at best. In any case any warmup should be done ideally out of kit for the simple reason that kit will restrict you and really you want the benefit of moving your muscles through their full range of movement when doing a warmup.

In any case here is a good generic dynamic warmup with vids where possible that takes about 15 minutes. Reps ideally you're looking at 4-8 reps each side for each exercise.

pre:
-- 2-5 minutes of jogging/skipping/ to raise heart rate
-- 1-2 minutes of back/shoulder mobilization (head rolls, shoulder rotations (forward and back), back twists)
-- Hamstring Sweeps         (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swd6ozIWnVc) 4 with your foot pointing up, 4 with your foot on the floor.
-- Walking Knee Hug         (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzsfcuPfNAU) 4x each leg
-- Walking Quad Stretch     (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnfpg0xoExc) 4x each leg
-- Frankenstines            (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3J_MaM5es0) 4x each leg
-- Open Gates               (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vTnAgPmhsw) 4x each leg
-- Close Gates              (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmIH3pT78r4) 4x each leg
-- Lateral Leg swings       (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG6AP2JV38o) 8x each leg
-- Front/Back leg swings    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka0CMsV8YV8) 8x each leg
-- Sumo squats              (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAD-PWIUHbQ) 4-8x
-- Walking forward lunge    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wp7jiyWB6g) 4x each leg moving directly forward, 4x each leg lunge out at a 45' angle.
-- Lateral lunge            (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgMx6ZPh2J4) 4x each side.
-- World's greatest stretch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw4xgXXRSBY) 4x each side.
-- High knee run            (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hUawp2i638) 2x As many as you can fit in over 5-10 yards.
-- Butt kickers             (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMyFE302ptY) 2x As many as you can fit in over 5-10 yards.
-- Stepovers                (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvHvYfLu6lI) 2x As many as you can fit in over 5-10 yards.
-- Skaters                  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bVOeQj_j_I) I'd just do these laterally rather than out at a 45' angle. 4-8 each side.
-- Tuck Jumps 4-8.
-- 4x 10-20 yard sprints if you have the space (goalline to top of the circles).
Edit: PS sorry about your tables. Trying to edit this down so it doesn't break it for most people.

Zip! fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 11, 2014

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I'm starting to really love my work team, we picked up a random guy at the beginning of the season and he's a 20-something year old kid who is just ridiculous. Cause he's 20 or so he can skate for loving ever, he has great hands and a wicked shot. Plus he's not a douchebag and will regularly actually make good passes instead of shooting everything.

What isn't so great is another guy who used to play with our team and is now back. The guy has some skill, but he skates like he's in slow-motion. He never tries to actually skate as hard as he can and is generally a liability if he's on offense or defense because of that.

Last night it came to a head when for 2 periods of the game he would shy away from any sort of contact in the corners and generally give up when there was a race to any puck. Which made it a goddamned wonder why when he was at the point and mishandled the puck he decided to stick a knee out to an opposing guy as he tried to blow by him. He took the worse of the stupid move and was down and yelling in pain.

Is it wrong that I immediately thought "What the gently caress were you doing you idiot? You deserve that" and only after a bit thought "I hope it's not too bad." I mean it was about as a bad a knee-on-knee hit that Cooke has ever done and it only happened I think because he realized he was beat, he has no energy and decided to try to take the guy out.

Even with that we managed to win our game 6-3 keeping our unbeaten run intact.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

AAB posted:

I was such a fast non-scoring 2 way center that I got moved to defense and boy is that fun. Not that chasing dudes is appropriate, but its funny to see guys give up on a possible chance when you're suddenly right on them. Also when my goalie is hollering to clear the crease and coming in and laying the person out. :feelsgood:
Only gripe though is that our refs are total poo poo when counting assists. I easily had 3-6 good setups that lead to goals (we won 10-1), 3 of which should be primary assists too. D2D to cherry picker passes all day.

I like it when refs just ask. Sometimes a ref will just be like "16 to 8, right?" and then the D can be like, "HAY 35 to 16 to 8".

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

I like it when refs just ask. Sometimes a ref will just be like "16 to 8, right?" and then the D can be like, "HAY 35 to 16 to 8".

Its funny cause the refs even gently caress that up in my league. Like what the christ are you even thinking out there?

Also, position chat moved from work crew:

canuckanese posted:

Center is the best spot because you get to take faceoffs and score a lot, and only have to be sort of good at defense. Defense is 2nd best because you get more ice time and going end to end rules.

If you play wing you're probably bad at the breakout and covering the point and I hate you.
Faceoffs do rule, I'll give you that, however when I'm on the ice I'm the fill in guy when our bad center inevitably gets thrown out of the dot. Scoring a lot can be done on D as well with a good clapper or a well placed deep wrister. :colbert:

Yeah most wings are bad and its fun to blow past them end to end like :byewhore:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My slapshot isn't accurate enough to be good from the point. I can get a lot of power on it but basically:
50% of the time I hit a player in front of the net
30% of the time I completely miss the net
19% of the time it gets through but the goalie makes the save
1% of the time I score a goal

That 1% is super satisfying though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

canuckanese posted:

My slapshot isn't accurate enough to be good from the point. I can get a lot of power on it but basically:

You're probably doing okay then because I'm pretty sure those percentages line up with NHL performance.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Those seem really correct. When I play forward I'm that guy that gets hit 80% of the time since I crash the net/ screen the goalie/ get loaded in the high slot/ etc

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

As long as the shot doesn't go wide, then there's the chance it deflects in or someone collects the rebound. At the very least it can hit someone in the butt for comedy value.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

canuckanese posted:

Every time I try a slapper I either wiff or the puck just lazily glides along the ice. That's why I stick to wrist shots.... and even those I'm lovely at.

:smith:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Loqieu posted:

As long as the shot doesn't go wide, then there's the chance it deflects in or someone collects the rebound. At the very least it can hit someone in the butt for comedy value.

That's my philosophy. If I'm on the point covering for a D or something and get the opportunity to shoot, to the detriment of the people infront of the net I shoot about ankle high and just make sure to get it on net. I also don't take a full on back scratching wind up because I'm not a jerk. I still feel a tiny, tiny bit bad for hitting somebody in the foot but just say hey, if they didn't want to get hit, they wouldn't have been standing there.

On the other side I'm usually in AAB's position. In front, creating the screen, looking for a tip. I have a puck sized bruise just above my dick right now to prove it. I gotta get better at moving out of the way of those waist high shots.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We've got some lively boards so even shots wide of the net, if they're hard, are quite an adventure. Especially on 4v4 with weird dimensions.

The worst are the players that don't turn towards the puck while in front of the net.

Edit: see, be like bigbillystyle, there's no question he was facing the puck with a bruise like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It would be nice if defensemen could put pucks in the shins because I can stand in front of that all day.. don't feel a thing, just hear a thud.

Pucks in the skates are murder. :negative:

I keep telling myself to get a pair of those plastic shells for my feet but I haven't gotten around to it. Probably one of those things where I'll get legitimately hurt before I finally do it.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

That's my philosophy. If I'm on the point covering for a D or something and get the opportunity to shoot, to the detriment of the people infront of the net I shoot about ankle high and just make sure to get it on net. I also don't take a full on back scratching wind up because I'm not a jerk. I still feel a tiny, tiny bit bad for hitting somebody in the foot but just say hey, if they didn't want to get hit, they wouldn't have been standing there.

On the other side I'm usually in AAB's position. In front, creating the screen, looking for a tip. I have a puck sized bruise just above my dick right now to prove it. I gotta get better at moving out of the way of those waist high shots.

At least you didn't jump up to avoid the shot and get hit straight in the dick.
I tend to aim for sticks and create deflections for my guys who are just standing there. It's like pinball on ice and is so satisfying.

Also, yeah, face the play at all times. That's an easy way to find new people and bad skaters.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Had a loser consolation game on Sunday. We kept the goalies in the same net the whole game, so the teams got to shoot on their own goalies in the 2nd. It was a nice gently caress around game that both teams hung out and drank heavily beforehand.

I got to score on my own goalie. Had a breakaway, pulled up about 5 feet outside the crease, ripped a slapper 5-hole and let him know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGFvAq2VS84

Then last night our Silver team got knocked out of the playoffs. We were #1 and got beat by the #5 team. All-around played like poo poo, but managed to only get beat by 1. I'm pretty sure the top 4 teams in the standings are now out of it. It's weird how the playoffs work.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Yeah I always found it weird to see people turn to the side, or even worse completely around, to block a shot. I used to assistant coach a high school team and it seems like every year we'd have to tell people, hey dummy all the padding is on the FRONT of your equipment. Stop turning away.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bigbillystyle posted:

I also don't take a full on back scratching wind up because I'm not a jerk.

I do this, but usually only once or twice, and towards the beginning of the game. I mostly do it to make the other team hesitant to try and block shots and once it seems like they are I won't do them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Don Cherry says you're just supposed to feather the puck in from the point, like a good 'tranna boy would.

So I'm thinking about writing a JS app that scrapes local rink sites to give me a one-page overview of where drop-ins or stick-and-pucks are in my area. Anyone got any coding skills / want to poke at it as I go? Or if anyone knows of such an app already, by all means let me know about it. Checking three or four websites is :effort: