Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it already feels more like an empires game than a mainline, so im sure they could make a somewhat decent one of those, but for me the whole open world thing just ruins it. everywhere looks the same, doing anything involves a lot of boring traveling and all the missions are boring. hu lao gate for me for example just involved climbing a wall, accidentally bumping into zhang liao and then winning it without even getting near lu bu since defeating him worked as well

for the record, i started on chaos and it was about as easy as normal is, but the fights just took forever so i turned it down a bit. the way the game works makes it all easy if you want to do the missions anyway, since every side mission lowers the difficulty of the main missions. the only thing that has made things hard is allies randomly dying (dian wei loves to do this) without any threats near

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Davincie posted:

it already feels more like an empires game than a mainline, so im sure they could make a somewhat decent one of those, but for me the whole open world thing just ruins it. everywhere looks the same, doing anything involves a lot of boring traveling and all the missions are boring. hu lao gate for me for example just involved climbing a wall, accidentally bumping into zhang liao and then winning it without even getting near lu bu since defeating him worked as well

Have you used the fast travel options? Not saying that'll solve all your problems, but I'm curious. The rest sounds like a mix of open world jank and DW jank, where accidents can lead to weird outcomes or hilarious glitches.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yes. you can fast travel both to friendly points and nearby objectives you have vision of. vision stays between chapters, so once you see something you see it forever. however most fast travel points still tend to be 500m-1500m away from objectives. very rarely you can just fast travel right on top of it, but mostly it drops you off further away. if you're unlucky your closest travel point involves crossing a giant river (there's a few scattered boats that allow you to cross it faster) or going past mountains the travel guide doesn't know how to handle as it will send you straight up unpassable areas. either way you tend to spend a significant amount of time just riding your horse through randomly generated terrain with very little of interest to discover. there's an auto travel mode for the horse, but it sticks strictly to roads which will make the journey way longer

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Davincie posted:

yes. you can fast travel both to friendly points and nearby objectives you have vision of. vision stays between chapters, so once you see something you see it forever. however most fast travel points still tend to be 500m-1500m away from objectives. very rarely you can just fast travel right on top of it, but mostly it drops you off further away. if you're unlucky your closest travel point involves crossing a giant river (there's a few scattered boats that allow you to cross it faster) or going past mountains the travel guide doesn't know how to handle as it will send you straight up unpassable areas. either way you tend to spend a significant amount of time just riding your horse through randomly generated terrain with very little of interest to discover. there's an auto travel mode for the horse, but it sticks strictly to roads which will make the journey way longer

Wow, cool. Exactly what I'm looking for in a Dynasty Warriors game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

It's not like I think MHW looks bad. What puts me off about it, though, is that it seems like you've got to invest a lot of time into it, and it relies on you being able to connect with others in multiplayer so as to complete quests more easily. It's more of fear of dropping the money on it and not really having time to make a dent in it between work, other games, and whatnot.

DW9 I'm expecting to be like the other games, where you can pick it up and play without much hassle, only in an open-world environment.

Solo is actually easier and (slightly) more rewarding (the beastie’s health and resistances scale, you don’t have to worry about pubbies fainting three times and ending the mission before you even get there, and the monster’s attacks are somewhat more predictable and controllable), and while you unlock stuff at a steady pace, you get all the fourteen weapon types with their full movesets at the very start of the game, so you can hun some mons in your preferred way pretty damned fast.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

some more notes:

vision, items and unlocks are shared between characters, this should make any run after the first one way easier and involve way less traveling, you can also freely change to other characters when unlocked mid run of course

the map is about twice as big as i initially thought

i had a mission with actual conversation choices, a fun little diversion from the usual

its possible to hit people through doors to places you can’t reach. if this happens you are hosed and will lose the mission

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Darth Walrus posted:

Solo is actually easier and (slightly) more rewarding (the beastie’s health and resistances scale, you don’t have to worry about pubbies fainting three times and ending the mission before you even get there, and the monster’s attacks are somewhat more predictable and controllable), and while you unlock stuff at a steady pace, you get all the fourteen weapon types with their full movesets at the very start of the game, so you can hun some mons in your preferred way pretty damned fast.
Thanks, that's good to know. I remember looking at website, and I thought the dual swords looked like fun.

Bloodly posted:

I've been eating up footage, and I think I've realised something.

The heart of a game where you'd create a character and try to live through the Three Kingdoms, making friends and alliances, choosing a kingdom, and seeing various events, is all there.

Except you can't actually create-a-character.(Yet.)

You'd expect to have more unique missions for the main Warriors, but there are not. Many times your character doesn't even speak up. The free weapon choice(You can use whatever you'd like, at full skill; you'll pull out your favoured weapon for unique actions.) also adds to this.

I wasn't expecting character creation (though that would be cool), but the open-world aspect made me think more along the lines of the RotTK strategy games, specifically the officer games where you can play a single character and eke out your own path. However, I don't know if it's actually like that in the game.

The structure is sort of what I'm curious about. The hunting/fishing/furniture collecting made me wonder if there wasn't an 'endpoint' for whatever character you were playing. For example, if you were to play as someone who's around early on (say, Zhang Jiao or Diaochan), does it go along with the story/history? I figured you would pick a character at the start rather than a kingdom, and start at whatever point they enter the story. Like, if I picked Pang Tong, would he still die after attacking Liu Zhang, or could he survive and live on to the Jin-era and still be able to collect all the furniture in the game? I heard there was no Free Mode for the game, so I was wondering how it all worked.

Also, while we're on the topic of the Empire games, what is Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires like? I've played Samurai Warriors 4 Empires a good deal, and I like it okay, but what little I've seen of DW8E makes it look like it plays differently.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
DW8E is ok I guess but it's super shallow. Mixing ROTK-lite with Musou is good on paper but they end up cutting enough from both sides that neither has enough time to actually shine through.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I actually feel like 9 has the chance for an amazing Empires

Really the open world feels built for charging across with your own warband.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Scott Forstall posted:

Giant Bomb will have a quick look posting tomorrow at 6am EST. I don’t need validation if they don’t like it, I’m more interested in seeing long uncut video of the final version. I’ve thus far avoided most of it pre-release

e: also, the trophy list is here http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/02/06/dynasty-warriors-9-trophies-killing-100000-warriors/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Platinum requires 100,000 k.o.’s

Here's a great idea: lets have people that don't even LIKE the franchise do a long overview of the game and then barely talk about the big new open world it features!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Deakul posted:

Here's a great idea: lets have people that don't even LIKE the franchise do a long overview of the game and then barely talk about the big new open world it features!

Not to take away from your point, but the only "big name" video game personality that I know of who actually professes to like these games is Jim sterling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Jason of Giant bomb likes them, and Austin Walker is also a fan.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Man, that Giant Bomb Quick Look was one of the most dumb arrogant game journo poo poo in a while, and I pay for that website.

The unwillingness to just try to understand why people like the series irritates me. "People with 'good taste' like the series so I guess something is there huh??" Like, what a dumb and boring attitude to have

Also DW9 looks bad maybe skip it

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The Quick Look didn't answer any of my questions. At all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just wanna know how much of a trashfire the PC port is. Cause it doesn't sound promising.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm gonna get it on PC anyways because I'm dumb and bad with money. Also I want to pick flowers as Lu Bu.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I keep telling myself I shouldn't get 9, but...

bentacos posted:

I'm gonna get it on PC anyways because I'm dumb and bad with money. Also I want to pick flowers as Lu Bu.

:sigh: Yeah.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for anyone else that has it, how do i send letters at my hideout, all the options are greyed out

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

well, just got the email that amazon's shipped my copy of 9, so I guess I'm 100% committed now

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

bentacos posted:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

It's not like I think MHW looks bad. What puts me off about it, though, is that it seems like you've got to invest a lot of time into it, and it relies on you being able to connect with others in multiplayer so as to complete quests more easily. It's more of fear of dropping the money on it and not really having time to make a dent in it between work, other games, and whatnot.

DW9 I'm expecting to be like the other games, where you can pick it up and play without much hassle, only in an open-world environment.

Just about everything in the game is soloable, with only the Arena quests not scaling down to one player (and there's nothing in the Arena quests you can't earn by just getting more clears even with a B/C clear ranking, IIRC) and the game even goes out of it's way to make adjust itself for a lone player- the monsters get less aggressive and tend to be more predictable with only one target, do less damage, and have less HP. While the game is almost entirely easier with other players that at least got an idea what they're doing (if nothing else, it lets you diversify kits and have players hitting a monster when it's engaged with someone else) it's definitely not undoable alone.

It's definitely a time sink if you really want to dig into it, but you can see the end of the 'story' in probably about 30-60 hours of casual play (depending on how much you really dig into messing with gearsets instead of just building power combos and moving on) and move on to something else if the MH Aftergame Grind isn't your cup of tea.

DW9 was a game I was excited for, but just about everything's saying it's less up a pick up and play game and more of a 'put down and back away, slowly' kind of game. Like, critics usually don't give Warriors games the time of day, but even known Dynasty Warriors Apologists like Jim Sterling are calling it worst game of the series and to be avoided at all costs, and I mean DW6 still haunts many of us to this day.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It is a very big technical change. I hope that it's kept and refined in future, rather than being simply chucked out.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Mr. Locke posted:

Like, critics usually don't give Warriors games the time of day, but even known Dynasty Warriors Apologists like Jim Sterling are calling it worst game of the series and to be avoided at all costs, and I mean DW6 still haunts many of us to this day.

If Jim Sterling is really saying or implying that, it sounds like a lot of hyperbole.

It's one thing to say the game might be disappointing or isn't taking full advantage of the open world concept. But no, this isn't remotely as bad as DW6. Quite a few arguments could be made to counter that statement.

I suppose he's not a fan of the weapon changes (although it would be misleading to say that makes everyone a full clone) or the existence of season passes and DLC (he's spoken against those practices enough times), but the combat itself isn't a step back.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 12, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wait, did Jim Sterling actually play DW9? I follow him on the twitter and I did not see him put up any actual impressions aside from him watching videos and being very vocal over not liking the direction the game took.

Then again, from what I played I don’t think the finished product will change his mind. I like what they are going for, in having a giant multi front battle in the country itself where you move up you forces and weaken the opposition by smaller skirmishes. But it all seems so dull and one note, even by series standards.

I do agree that it can and should be refined. In particular I think that officer switching and control can be great here. Like, send out your other officers to seize or defend objectives on the other fronts while you work through yours. I would also like more options for outposts, like spending money to reinforce it with better troops, station an officer, or just go full on Wu and let the motherfucker burn.

My other problem is that it is an ugly game, again even by series standards. On a PS Pro it doesn’t look good and, even worse, it barely runs well. And god help you if you choose the Movie Mode.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

sterling hasn't put a video out about it yet but he's dropped hints in some of his other videos that he got an advance copy of 9 and that he really didn't like it. Since there's no video it's hard to say if his dislike is "I hate the combat but the underlying ideas are interesting" or "this game is complete trash and no one should buy it"

iirc he takes the removal of weapons and selling characters as DLC way harder than most fans will too

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jim Sterling is also a massive hack and everything he says should be taken with a mountain of salt.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

TheFlyingLlama posted:

iirc he takes the removal of weapons and selling characters as DLC way harder than most fans will too

While I do think the weapon issue merits a degree of criticism, though not ultra-harshly in light of the combat system being modified...the main game has 83 existing characters and 7 new ones. The idea of selling an additional four new characters on top of that is a sign of our late capitalist times and all that, but not exactly an unforgivable offense.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The season pass looks like they took an Xtreme Legends expansion and modified it to be a season pass.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait, did Jim Sterling actually play DW9? I follow him on the twitter and I did not see him put up any actual impressions aside from him watching videos and being very vocal over not liking the direction the game took.

Then again, from what I played I don’t think the finished product will change his mind. I like what they are going for, in having a giant multi front battle in the country itself where you move up you forces and weaken the opposition by smaller skirmishes. But it all seems so dull and one note, even by series standards.

I do agree that it can and should be refined. In particular I think that officer switching and control can be great here. Like, send out your other officers to seize or defend objectives on the other fronts while you work through yours. I would also like more options for outposts, like spending money to reinforce it with better troops, station an officer, or just go full on Wu and let the motherfucker burn.

My other problem is that it is an ugly game, again even by series standards. On a PS Pro it doesn’t look good and, even worse, it barely runs well. And god help you if you choose the Movie Mode.

He has played it and has dropped a few hints about what he thinks about it (Talking about anger revolving around Zhang He losing his claws, A game he 'can't talk about' 'breaking his heart', muttering about some other game in one of his videos and saying it puts the 'HACK in hack and slash') but he can't put out any official videos and the like on it until the embargo he's under drops on the 13th. He also said something to the tune of 'hard to believe as it is 4 or so companies still give me review codes. Soon 3.' in reply to someone being incredulous.

So needless to say he DOESN'T like it but to what specific extent and how much he'll ham it up in his persona are something else. Trolling about trying to find this exact thing I was finding people doing the usual belittling of him(deserved or not) and trying to say he's not a fan of the game because he disliked All-Stars, the Dragon Quest warriors games, and the other recent miss steps Koei's been making with games. But yeah this doesn't really improve my feelings of worry about the game especially considering the people in here and elsewhere talking about the advanced copies they got and how the last miss step was my most hated game in the series that only became playable to me in Empires when it was flat out broken and let you jump up mountains.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Hey, just realized this thread was a thing.

In what way will PC players get DW9? Steam? Windows store?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
KOEI titles are pretty much exclusively steamworks.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I was going to get DW9 on release, but will now wait for a sale and see if they release any updates that improve gameplay.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmGKuwd2WA

That is one choppy looking launch trailer, this is promising.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the wei campaign just kind of ends after fighting liu bei at hanzhong, bizarre choice

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Please stop trying to make me lose hope. This is all I have (until far cry 5) :smith:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmGKuwd2WA

That is one choppy looking launch trailer, this is promising.

Images taken from an in-development version. Yeah maybe don't do that for your launch trailer.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Anyone played Gintama Rumble? I've seen some trailers and looks fun, but I think it's only available in english in the Singapore PStore? How am I supposed to buy it Bandai Namco?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Watching that trailer, it looks like the slow down was a stylistic choice. They only did it during those super moves. The pop-in though... holy poo poo. Koei should contact Sony and get someone from Guerrilla or Naughty Dog to come over and help them build an engine.

Kind of a serious question: why isn't this style of game mimiced more? Outside of Sengoku Basara and Ninety-Nine Nights (remember that 360 exclusive?) I can't really think of any big ones that aren't made by Omega Force.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

In case anyone (else, like me) cared:

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/959669259658915841

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jimbot posted:

Watching that trailer, it looks like the slow down was a stylistic choice. They only did it during those super moves. The pop-in though... holy poo poo. Koei should contact Sony and get someone from Guerrilla or Naughty Dog to come over and help them build an engine.

Kind of a serious question: why isn't this style of game mimiced more? Outside of Sengoku Basara and Ninety-Nine Nights (remember that 360 exclusive?) I can't really think of any big ones that aren't made by Omega Force.

Fate/Extella did, but it has even worse tedium problems.

I've always thought of the Earth Defense Force games as being closely related, even if it's not the SAME kind of game.