Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got a pair of WH-1000XM4s that recently started a crescendoing squeal/whistle in the right ear if I'm using either active noise canceling or ambient sound. The same drat thing happened to the WH-H900Ns I had before. Both times since they were out of their 1-year warranty Sony just punted to their repair vendor, which is like $80 plus parts, IIRC. Has anyone else had this happen and know of any fix I could do myself (no soldering equipment, and I haven't soldered in ten years anyway)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
So I recently purchased a pair of Pokemon Center x Grado Labs collaboration headphones, as seen here: https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/710-09872/pokemon-audio-collection-pokemon-center-grado-labs-poke-ball-headphones-aluminum

They are pretty similar to the 325s I've demoed and look pretty cool. I'm enjoying the hell out of them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I want those beyond all reason.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Spinfit makes "medical grade" tips that are supposed to be hypoallergenic, they are also really really good and I used them on everything. Comply foam tips might be worth looking into.

cool post but maybe don't squirt corticosteroids into your ear canal without consulting an actual doctor

Oh really? Don't illegally acquire that particular drug and put it in your ears?! Thanks for the warning!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

As another acquisition, I got the Moondrop SSRs today and I think I'd recommend them more as a general thing than the Tin T2s. Same basic idea of being light on the bass but with way less treble which makes them way easier to wear for a long time. They go super deep in the ears too which makes them better for wearing outside.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
*nodding sagaciously, spewing clouds of dandruff like Ally Sheedy*

I think my ears are kind adjusting to these things, but I might have to get some foam ones. The foam Shure ones I had so do not dit., So bummer. Hope they don't screw up the sound too bad (these sound pretty good)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

njsykora posted:

I want those beyond all reason.

:same:

CONGRATS TO LOCAL BOY GRADO LABS on branding collabo with the bigshot Pokémon Company

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dogen posted:

LCD2 classic observations:

That is a short cable

Needs EQ (6XX doesn’t, to me)
e: on further examination (I only had 30 minutes to mess with them last night), they are fine without EQ, although the adjustments I had made were relatively minor

It’s noticeably heavy but I don’t think it’s going to bother me over an extended period of time

The sound is weirdly clear, is the best way I can describe it. Feels more present and playing a little Deathloop the environment sounded much bigger if that makes sense?

I’d be interested in hearing your full thoughts on them after you’ve had them a bit, if you don’t mind.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Orv posted:

I’d be interested in hearing your full thoughts on them after you’ve had them a bit, if you don’t mind.

So I spent a lot of time integrating them into my setup this weekend - I got a passive jack switcher because I want to keep my 6XX as well.

I ended up diving deep into messing with EQ. I installed Equalizer APO+Peace, mostly in the interest of having a more flexible EQ than my driver's parametric, and used the curves that ortho1990 guy has on reddit. I find the most disagreeable part of the sound is a certain ring/sibilance in the treble sometimes, and also overly emphasized vocals, and the EQ solution helps fix that up a little and lets me boost the sub-bass to my preference.

It also let me put the 6XX on an even footing, I A/B'd them using my switcher (EQ on and off on the 6XX, on only on the LCD2) on a few different tracks and overall I like the LCD2 better; it has way more detail. The 6XX just sounds... less... detailed (maybe this is what veiled means) by comparison. The LCD2 is a little harsher to listen to and is less forgiving to poorly produced tracks though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Because I am a jerk I did this review of one of the best IEMs ive heard in years. OK the 2nd best ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR6NiAjCGEw&t=31s

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
It's happened.

My Bose Quietcomfort wired ear buds have bought the farm.

What's the closest thing I can buy to those? I loved them dearly and they're discontinued :(

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

well i'm hoping we'll see improvements quickly, but what i suspect is a ton of cargo cult knockoffs at first.

the blon-03 is a good example, it baffles me that nobody has been able to do that tuning at that price range in a better shell with a better cable. even blon seems to have no idea how to improve it.

I bloody love the BLON03's. I don't think I will ever get another IEM, for this price they are fantastic. There is apparently now a BLON-07 but I don't think I will try them out until more people have written about them.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

henpod posted:

I bloody love the BLON03's. I don't think I will ever get another IEM, for this price they are fantastic. There is apparently now a BLON-07 but I don't think I will try them out until more people have written about them.

I STILL look to the blon 03 as a low cost benchmark set. The 07 sucks.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

pmchem posted:

hi thread. I have some sony mdr-7506 headphones, an older but comfy razer headset/mic combo (full size), some bose 2.0 powered speakers (to be replaced by edifier R1280T's or R1280db's, I guess?).

I'm looking for a good USB DAC to connect to a computer to use instead of motherboard onboard audio. I could also do a DAC/amp combo if needed (is it needed?).

Are there any consensus recommendations for under $100 or under $200? I've read some posts here and elsewhere and see Schiit mentioned a lot. Thanks.

JDS Labs Atom DAC as well to consider.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

henpod posted:

I could (and probably should) pare my whole collection down to BLON 03s, 7hz Timeless and my og sennheiser HD580

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I think I've decided on getting a pair of AKG K371s and also Hifiman 400i. I'm also considering the Meze 99 for closed back.

Are these good choices? How do the Meze compare to the AKG?

I don't really live in a place where I can find a seller and test them out in person, unfortunately. Stores here stick to Bose/Beats/Skullcandy. I think one store stocks Shure, but that's it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

henpod posted:

They are really really good and I love my 03s as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Devorum posted:

I think I've decided on getting a pair of AKG K371s and also Hifiman 400i. I'm also considering the Meze 99 for closed back.

Are these good choices? How do the Meze compare to the AKG?

I don't really live in a place where I can find a seller and test them out in person, unfortunately. Stores here stick to Bose/Beats/Skullcandy. I think one store stocks Shure, but that's it.

The Meze's are worse than the AKG's for a lot more money. A lot of people joke about them being "Beats by Meze" and they're not just talking about them being super bassy, they're trading a lot on their looks and premium image. If they were the same price I'd say try both but the 99s are 3 times more than the AKGs.

I haven't tried these myself but Crinacle rates the Shure SRH840 pretty highly, he gives both those and the cheaper 440s 3 value stars which in his system means worth buying blind, so if you can go try those out at a store maybe give those a shot.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Shuoer S12 Planar IEM: not great out of box, V shaped, kind of sharp treble

Add EQ, now we are talking. I usually dont EQ but this IEM takes it very well. Well heck, I like this IEM quite a bit. Go figure

Meze Rai Penta: loving TRASH. Id rather listen to a blon 03 any day.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Everyone talking about the Blon Bl-03s-- which tips are you using with them? I bought some cheap foam New Bee ones from Amazon and they're Fine, but I'm wondering if silicone would be better? I need to go to the hardware store and buy a bag of little o-rings to use as spacers.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RichterIX posted:

Everyone talking about the Blon Bl-03s-- which tips are you using with them? I bought some cheap foam New Bee ones from Amazon and they're Fine, but I'm wondering if silicone would be better? I need to go to the hardware store and buy a bag of little o-rings to use as spacers.

spinfits, the CP800 type for thin nozzles. I use keyboard silencing o-rings for spacers, but I don't really need 'em with the tight spinfits.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks! I wish they had a sampler with multiple sizes-- I'm guessing I need the large but I'm never a hundred percent sure.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yeah the bl03s need a little finessing with the cable and earfit, but once you sort the minor things they are fab. And cheap as chips.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I bought these ones. Work good for the most part, I have an issue with even the small ones shoving itself out of my left ear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FNF6JR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ok, after lots of reading in posts here and elsewhere, I have narrowed down my search to the following candidates. this gear will be replacing an old razer headset/mic combo that is plugged into a PC, and also be connecting to a set of Edifier R1280T's on the dac's line out. budget/value is a factor in the list because I'm frugal and not a total audiophile (although I do appreciate the audiophiles in this thread). comments welcome...:

dac/amp combo (I decided I don't want to spend on a ~$200 stack, for now):
fiio new K3, or...
fiio E10K-TC (current pick)
schiit fulla E is a contender here but it's out of stock/backordered. Also, I keep reading about dirty pots on fulla's

headphones:
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Sennheiser HD 569
beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm
edit: adding AKG K361 to the list!

not sure what I want from that list; the criteria is basically closed-back, over ear, and under $200. I'd be interested in the best gaming/music 'phones for those requirements (that can be driven by a dac/amp from above). I already have some MDR-7506's at the office (I like them!) and am looking for something different just to have two options to swap between home/office.

microphone (not really this thread's deal, but just completing the shopping):
Samson Q2U
Marantz MPM-1000U w/ stand
Blue Yeti Nano
HyperX Solocast
Antlion Modmic

For mics, I want something cheap that has enough quality and directionality to sit foot or two away from me on a desk that also has a mechanical keyboard. Or maybe a modmic to attach to the 'phones would be the way to go.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 21, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

pmchem posted:

For mics, I want something cheap that has enough quality and directionality to sit foot or two away from me on a desk that also has a mechanical keyboard. Or maybe a modmic to attach to the 'phones would be the way to go.

Fiio stuff is good but if you don't mind windows volume control the apple usb-c adapter sounds just as good for 8 bux. I think the K361 is easily the best pick among those by far. You might wanna go for the modmic if keyboard noise is going to be a thing, I got a boom arm to get mine off the desk for that reason.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dogen posted:

So I spent a lot of time integrating them into my setup this weekend - I got a passive jack switcher because I want to keep my 6XX as well.

I ended up diving deep into messing with EQ. I installed Equalizer APO+Peace, mostly in the interest of having a more flexible EQ than my driver's parametric, and used the curves that ortho1990 guy has on reddit. I find the most disagreeable part of the sound is a certain ring/sibilance in the treble sometimes, and also overly emphasized vocals, and the EQ solution helps fix that up a little and lets me boost the sub-bass to my preference.

It also let me put the 6XX on an even footing, I A/B'd them using my switcher (EQ on and off on the 6XX, on only on the LCD2) on a few different tracks and overall I like the LCD2 better; it has way more detail. The 6XX just sounds... less... detailed (maybe this is what veiled means) by comparison. The LCD2 is a little harsher to listen to and is less forgiving to poorly produced tracks though.

Thanks. It’s often oddly weird to find thoughts on headphones that don’t sound like marketing copy.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

pmchem posted:

ok, after lots of reading in posts here and elsewhere, I have narrowed down my search to the following candidates. this gear will be replacing an old razer headset/mic combo that is plugged into a PC, and also be connecting to a set of Edifier R1280T's on the dac's line out. budget/value is a factor in the list because I'm frugal and not a total audiophile (although I do appreciate the audiophiles in this thread). comments welcome...:

dac/amp combo (I decided I don't want to spend on a ~$200 stack, for now):
fiio new K3, or...
fiio E10K-TC (current pick)
schiit fulla E is a contender here but it's out of stock/backordered. Also, I keep reading about dirty pots on fulla's

headphones:
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Sennheiser HD 569
beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm
edit: adding AKG K361 to the list!

not sure what I want from that list; the criteria is basically closed-back, over ear, and under $200. I'd be interested in the best gaming/music 'phones for those requirements (that can be driven by a dac/amp from above). I already have some MDR-7506's at the office (I like them!) and am looking for something different just to have two options to swap between home/office.

microphone (not really this thread's deal, but just completing the shopping):
Samson Q2U
Marantz MPM-1000U w/ stand
Blue Yeti Nano
HyperX Solocast
Antlion Modmic

The best all around headphones from that list would be the AKG's as mentioned. For gaming though, I'd lean towards the 770s for the soundstage and bass. Downsides are the trebles can be harsh and mids are slightly recessed for music. But ironically, this is great for footsteps in games.

As for the mic, I'd skip the ModMic unless you're getting the wireless. It's fairly annoying clipping the ModMic and headphone cables together. You're better off getting a separate mic on a boom arm and be able to swap headphones as you please.

As for the mic, the Q2U is the most versatile. It can be used via USB or XLR. So if you're ever wanting to invest in an audio interface in the future, you don't need a new mic. Totally unnecessary though. It's also light enough that you can use cheap $20 Amazon mic boom arms without fear of it sagging. It's also a dynamic mic instead of a condenser, so it's better in not picking up background noise. (though to be fair once you have a mic arm and proper noise gates in Discord, this really isn't even an issue)

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Cannon_Fodder posted:

It's happened.

My Bose Quietcomfort wired ear buds have bought the farm.

What's the closest thing I can buy to those? I loved them dearly and they're discontinued :(

Didn't get a lot of feedback here so I'm going to try the buds. Bose Quiet comfort.
I pray they're half as nice as the corded quiet comfort wired ear buds with the stupid battery brick near the 3.5mm end.

Sigh. Long live the king.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Didn't get a lot of feedback here so I'm going to try the buds. Bose Quiet comfort.
I pray they're half as nice as the corded quiet comfort wired ear buds with the stupid battery brick near the 3.5mm end.

Sigh. Long live the king.
if those don’t work for you, the sony wf-1000xm3 (or is it 4 now?) are great for noise-canceling ear buds! over the ears are more effective for plane noise, but i love the buds for the gym and errands.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

My venerable Sennheiser PC310's have finally kicked the can. I've been using PC310s for nearly a decade and older versions of similar before that. Honestly, I just want them again, but wireless, but nothing immediately pops out to me looking at their website.

Budget - <$200 preferred, but not a hard line
Source - PC, Onboard sound card.
Isolation Requirements - Open/no isolation.
Preferred Type of Headphone - On Ear/Supra-Aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced I guess? Use case is gaming/discord.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’m not sure of the exact chain of lineage but you might look at the Sennheiser PC38x from Drop, location permitting. Same general feature set as the 310, though not wireless.

Though if you want open, the 58x also from Drop, paired with a standalone mic, is a very, very good option.

As far as I know Sennheisrer doesn’t make a 2.4ghz dongle headset unfortunately and you don’t want to use their BT ones for gaming.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 23, 2022

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Doesn't still need to be Sennheiser, and like you found they don't really have what I want. Also only interested in headsets with mics if I'm going wireless since they aren't much use if I cant talk back when I walk away.

Something like Corsair HS70 seem like what I want, but I don't know what brands are good. I know Corsair was a good RAM brand a decade ago, but I've not kept up.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Their mice and headsets and poo poo are fine also.

I’m quite partial to their keyboards.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

TenementFunster posted:

if those don’t work for you, the sony wf-1000xm3 (or is it 4 now?) are great for noise-canceling ear buds! over the ears are more effective for plane noise, but i love the buds for the gym and errands.

I've got some that I bought off sa mart. They loving won't stay in my ears. I wear them but they slowly come out. I legitimately dislike them. Thank you for the advice. No dice :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xenoborg posted:

Doesn't still need to be Sennheiser, and like you found they don't really have what I want. Also only interested in headsets with mics if I'm going wireless since they aren't much use if I cant talk back when I walk away.

Something like Corsair HS70 seem like what I want, but I don't know what brands are good. I know Corsair was a good RAM brand a decade ago, but I've not kept up.

Corsair is fine as gaming headsets go, they all have problems but Corsair tends to not have awful sound like Razer or break two days out of warranty like Logitech, though that’s of course anecdotal. The HS70 looks like a pretty good option, overall if you don’t want to go in on something grossly overpriced like their Virtuoso series (and you shouldn’t to be clear.)

All wireless gaming headsets require you to put up with the unimaginably awful companion programs though and Corsair has one of the worst, if that matters to you. It’ll mostly be plug and go but if something fails it’ll be there.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 24, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If you want to buy a wireless gaming headset get hyperX cloud flight; or cloud flight 2. If you wanna get extra fancy replace the pads with dekoni pads. They sound better than most from what I’ve read and the companion program is very minimal and perfectly fine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

If you want to buy a wireless gaming headset get hyperX cloud flight; or cloud flight 2. If you wanna get extra fancy replace the pads with dekoni pads. They sound better than most from what I’ve read and the companion program is very minimal and perfectly fine.

Yeah I didn't bother with the program when I used them. It's mainly just for checking the battery life.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I always forget this is an option but yeah HyperX is probably your best option for good sound while remaining a gaming headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have an issue with my QKZ VK4 that I just bought, my first foray into Chi-Fi. It sounds great, excellent for the price even. My main issue is...it's not working on the Windows 10 laptop that I have, which is the whole reason I bought it in the first place (easy, convenient to carry around vs headphones). What could be the issue?

Right now, if I plug in the VK4, they are detected as headphones and I can select headphones output, but no sound comes out of the VK4 itself. Am I missing drivers or do I have an issue with my settings? Previously, my laptop had the Superlux HD 668B plugged in, that definitely works no problem, plug and play. And if I plug the VK4 into my phone, also no problem.