Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Shats Basoon posted:

Posted by a libertarian on another board I frequent in response to me commenting on his post with "great, waiting forward to the next post where you tell me taxation is theft"

because ISIL is not recognized as a legitimate state? Like, that's it, pretty much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Shats Basoon posted:

Posted by a libertarian on another board I frequent in response to me commenting on his post with "great, waiting forward to the next post where you tell me taxation is theft"

I mean, on the one hand, he's not wrong. Modern polities absolutely evolved from warlords extorting people. On the other hand, that doesn't matter, and we have to judge modern countries based on what they actually do, rather than what their prehistoric ancestors may have done.

There's an obvious difference between my elected representative voting to tax me at an explicit rate, with my ability to vote him out of office or fight it in court if necessary, and which goes to pay for an unfathomable array of services that I take for granted; vs. a group like ISIS taking my money with no recourse on my part and then using it to blow up shrines and kill me. Libertarians would really like it if you consider those the same thing though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if like, a warlord extorted people for money and then used the money to set up communal services which demonstrably benefit his tribe, that would be good also.

Basically there isn't actually something wrong with taking money by force from people who can afford it to improve the living conditions of those who have little and of society as a whole.

Rather than disputing the logic of the libertarian viewpoint I can just disagree with its basic premise.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Shats Basoon posted:

Something something Bill of Rights, something something consent of the governed

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

E: i should mention, i literally just copy pasta'd Nolamar's post. This guy is way to exhausting to have a discussion with. Consider this a lame troll attempt at him Won't do that anymore if thats not cool.

quote:

Well, taxpayers don't have standing to sue in court, and your representative is 1 out of 535. What if he opposed it?

Our government blows up charity hospitals and kills people with our tax dollars too. And my services are provided mostly by local, not national government. The vast bulk of my federal tax dollar goes to the aforementioned killing and blowing up programs, as well as to other entitlement programs of which I'm not a part.

And you don't really have the ability to vote him out of office, do you? Do you have any idea what the odds are of your vote determining the outcome of a congressional election? The Iraqi with an AK47 under his bed has more control over his government than you do at the ballot box.

Shats Basoon fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 6, 2016

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Now I'm imagining my city council as a bunch of warlords and I'm pretty sure the skill set for good warlord is the exact opposite of good elected representative.

Shats Basoon posted:

E: i should mention, i literally just copy pasta'd Nolamar's post. This guy is way to exhausting to have a discussion with. Consider this a lame troll attempt at him Won't do that anymore if thats not cool.

The point of collective representation is the same point as not having fifedoms and kings so one idiot can't ruin things for everyone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"If you object to the inertia of power as held by those who own the means of production, have you considered communism?"

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Shats Basoon posted:

I'm just happy when people like what I write :buddy:

But yeah, OwlFancer has it right. He's at the point of bitching that you aren't represented because other people also get a say in democracy, so he's too far gone to reason with. Agree with him about the oppressiveness of the capitalist system and start linking Jacobin articles.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nolanar posted:

I'm just happy when people like what I write :buddy:

You're a good person, Nolaner, and people say good things about you.

People also say bad things about you, though, so I don't know who to trust. Probably best not to think about it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Shats Basoon posted:

"But why can't I, personally, pay less taxes? :qq:"

Sure he names legit problems but because he, by himself, can't quickly and efficiently change them through the system, throw the entire thing out.

I wonder what his response is to the prospect armed groups will demand monetary tribute at gunpoint anyway even in Libertopia.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I wonder what his response is to the prospect armed groups will demand monetary tribute at gunpoint anyway even in Libertopia.

Look at how he deals with the idea of not being the sole vote in congressional elections, and extrapolate. He thinks he'll be the guy with the gun.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Nobody is gonna violate the NAP guys, it isn't logical to.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I will violate the nap by banging trashcan lids really loudly on the street I own that goes by everyone's house.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I will violate NAP by getting jrode to suck mah crip blood purple drank swigging big black dick until he answers my question.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 6, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Should I seriously get the summon Jrode card out again?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Crowsbeak posted:

Should I seriously get the summon Jrode card out again?

He's been sorta-responding in the other thread recently, if you care to try your luck there. I had some luck doing the one thing he can't resist replying to: pointing out the disturbing tendency of libertarianism and white supremacy to walk hand in hand.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
This is what happens when you post in this thread:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We need more communism! MORE drat YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Always always browse libertarian stuff in private mode. One unprotected Molyneaux video will wreck your youtube recommendations for months.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Nolanar posted:

Always always browse libertarian stuff in private mode. One unprotected Molyneaux video will wreck your youtube recommendations for months.

This. I also watched a Thunderf00t video to see what was going on during the whole gamergate shitstorm and now my Youtube is STILL flooding me with recommendations of Sargon of Akkad and other bipedal vermin.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sephyr posted:

This. I also watched a Thunderf00t video to see what was going on during the whole gamergate shitstorm and now my Youtube is STILL flooding me with recommendations of Sargon of Akkad and other bipedal vermin.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SedanChair posted:

This is what happens when you post in this thread:

Titan is actually good, imo.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Sephyr posted:

Hell, just watch any femfreq video and don't remember to click away before it autoplays some garbo nerd afterward.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Nolanar posted:

It's... Almost like loving without a condom. :stare:

Oh well, I guess condoms violate NAP somehow anyways.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's... Almost like loving without a condom. :stare:

Oh well, I guess condoms violate NAP somehow anyways.

it's... almost like injecting bleach into your veins with a used needle

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Shats Basoon posted:

Nolanar posted:

I mean, on the one hand, he's not wrong. Modern polities absolutely evolved from warlords extorting people. On the other hand, that doesn't matter, and we have to judge modern countries based on what they actually do, rather than what their prehistoric ancestors may have done.

There's an obvious difference between my elected representative voting to tax me at an explicit rate, with my ability to vote him out of office or fight it in court if necessary, and which goes to pay for an unfathomable array of services that I take for granted; vs. a group like ISIS taking my money with no recourse on my part and then using it to blow up shrines and kill me. Libertarians would really like it if you consider those the same thing though.
It's almost hilarious how much libertarians conflate things. Refusing to pay taxes in the US will eventually get you fines, warrants, and if you're really stubborn, jail time. Refusing to pay taxes in ISIL territory will get you murdered and your mangled corpse put on display in the street as an example.

To a libertarian, these are totally the same thing.:downs:

Shats Basoon posted:

quote:

The Iraqi with an AK47 under his bed has more control over his government than you do at the ballot box.
The Iraqi with an AK47 under his bed also has an astoundingly greater change of getting blown up by a car bomb, IED, suicide bombing, airstrike, or enemy fire than that rear end in a top hat does sitting at his computer.

It really is amazing that libertarians don't realize just how drat cushy their life is compared to most of the Middle East, and how they take the relative safety of their life completely for granted. If they call 911 for Fire/EMS/Police, those services will arrive generally pretty quickly. They probably don't even think about this, it's just something that happens like magic, not a public service.

That is most definitely not the case in Iraq and Lebanon, hell Lebanon has terrible problems with something as basic as loving trash pickup of all things:
http://yalibnan.com/2015/08/03/lebanons-garbage-crisis-worsens-amid-rising-heat-anger/
What's the libertarian solution to this?

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 8, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Also see: "Somalia, the one place on earth that's doing it right"

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Nice burn on this week's Shameless:

"You should read it (Atlas Shrugged). She's (Ayn Rand's) got some interesting things to say."
"Yeah, no thanks. Every Libertarian was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple."

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

fade5 posted:

It's almost hilarious how much libertarians conflate things. Refusing to pay taxes in the US will eventually get you fines, warrants, and if you're really stubborn, jail time. Refusing to pay taxes in ISIL territory will get you murdered and your mangled corpse put on display in the street as an example.

To a libertarian, these are totally the same thing.

But if you resist when they show up to take you to jail, they'll shoot you, just because you're shooting at them. Ergo proctor, vis a vis, natural rights, lorem ipsum, holding me at gunpoint!

Checkmate, statist (I am so glad that Google doesn't think statist is a word.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still really don't see the problem with pointing guns at people to make them not be dickheads. That's what guns are for, one of precious few sensible uses for weaponry, defence against dickheads.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mornacale posted:

Hell, just watch any femfreq video and don't remember to click away before it autoplays some garbo nerd afterward.

The shitlords appear in your recommendation whether or not you let something autoplay. Just watching an Anita Sarkeesian video means you end up being bombarded with shitlords "responding" to her.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

QuarkJets posted:

Okay realtalk now, is Harry Potter more libertarian than Lord of the Rings, or less? Voldemort is basically a John Galt figure trying to crush the state, and he almost succeeds if not for the NAP-violating ivory tower statists at Hogwarts. Sauron is basically just a dude trying to recover his stolen jewelry and he only sends out an army when some statists show up to challenge his property rights. Between the two I feel like LOTR is probably more representative of libertarian society, ergo ipso facto it's the better series
Voldemort is only trying to crush the state so that he can install a race-based aristocracy and satisfy his psychopathic whims, so yes, definitely a libertarian.

QuarkJets posted:

Pizza but only if you order an extra large and consume it by yourself while watching TNG
On Saturday we ordered pizza and played a D&D game where we stopped a gang of thugs from extorting peasants in the guise of "tax collection." Eat it statists :smaug:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Halloween Jack posted:

Voldemort is only trying to crush the state so that he can install a race-based aristocracy and satisfy his psychopathic whims, so yes, definitely a libertarian.

On Saturday we ordered pizza and played a D&D game where we stopped a gang of thugs from extorting peasants in the guise of "tax collection." Eat it statists :smaug:

If you were truly libertarian heroes you wouldn't have actually fought anyone, instead you would have lectured them for seven straight hours about the superiority of your beliefs and they either would have joined you or died to a man by getting eaten by a dragon.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

When's the next Goon podcast gonna be up? The last two were really entertaining.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mr Interweb posted:

When's the next Goon podcast gonna be up? The last two were really entertaining.

Once paragon posts it

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I watched "The Business of Being Born" today and I want to punch Jrod in the loving face because of what insurance companies have done to mothers in the U.S.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Please stop mentioning weregild when jrod's around I can't stop myself from making kodp posts :(

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theshim posted:

Please stop mentioning weregild when jrod's around I can't stop myself from making kodp posts :(

Why would you stop yourself? gently caress it, just hijack the thread and turn it into a KoDP Let's Play where the thread collectively rules the tribe like libertarians would.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

theshim posted:

You're not asking us to be...altruistic, are you?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Literally The Worst posted:

Once paragon posts it

i meant to work on it last weekend but real life got in the way. Should be sometime this...uh...month.