Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
She's kinda having a meltdown.

https://twitter.com/jennatar

I know I'm not supposed to find humor in it because she's a fair Internet maiden and not a fat neckbeard but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Goffer posted:

"Results show that playing a video game with the theme of female “objectification” may prime thoughts related to sex, encourage men to view women as sex objects, and lead to self-reported tendencies to behave inappropriately towards women in social situations."

Yeah think about sex more, just that

Okay, first let me know what you think about this study.
http://comm.arizona.edu/sites/comm.arizona.edu/files/JOBEM_aubrey%20et%20al.pdf
Do you agree with its findings?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/ShivamBhatt/20140521/218268/On_Far_Cry_4_and_Respect.php

quote:

But I don’t live in-world. I’m not a character in this game, and I’m not the proprietor of the temple being looted, nor the buyer of said statue. I’m just a guy in the real world, who sees on the cover of a game that someone thinks so very little of him and his people that they’d choose this as their advertisement to the world.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
"Sexism is NOT okay"

"heh heh you stupid twerps I'm a man and I think sexism is super"

"No! Sexism is NOT okay"

sorry I'm working on my feminist play to get lots of beer money from patreon

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Can anybody use Patreon? Like, could you sign an organization up for it, no strings attached? Is there some standards for what you can and cannot raise money for?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
the top results for patreon is that they're delaying payment because of "new features" hahaha this whole thing is a gloryhole of shitbirds

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I wonder who?

#takebackanimeavatars is easily the best thing to come out so far. It's like someone saw the argument and said,

"There's a very small chance outside observers might not find this ineffectual nerd slapfight completely silly. Quick, make sure all of your posts have an anime character on them!"

It's also funny because as bad as they can be video games will never be able to match the terrible fanbase and level of open racism, sexism, and homophobia in anime/manga.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

every list of Paetron supporters I've seen looks like the results of a GIS for "beta male"

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I appreciate the fact that none of these people seem to ever just put down their computers or phones and take a walk, blow off some steam, and get out of their tiny bubbles. Makes for good drama.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Jenn Frank posted:

Phil was always right, you know.

haunting last words from obvious conflict of interest Guardian lady

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Is everything covered in poo poo yet? Also, I've had this jingle stuck in my head thanks to this thread.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Optimus Subprime posted:

I appreciate the fact that none of these people seem to ever just put down their computers or phones and take a walk, blow off some steam, and get out of their tiny bubbles. Makes for good drama.

It's amazing how loving married to twitter these people are that they use it to reinforce every negative aspect of their lives

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think the funniest thing about Just Jenn is that she clearly has no idea why The Guardian could possibly be annoyed. An article where you go to bat for this super awesome indie dev and never happen to mention that you're friends and financially interlinked, minimally though it may be? Can't see how that could be any different than when you write about your parents and pets.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
to think, this could all have been avoided if she was just a better person.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
The IGF is just fine, you're the problem

quote:

Someone’s game didn’t get the exposure they expected – it happens every single year. “The system is broken,” somebody says, every single year. Your “indie” “game” requires exposure. Not enough judges played it, gave it a fair shake, in time for IGF, you’ve decided. These judges didn’t spend enough time with your masterpiece of ingenuity. Fine.

quote:

Did I play every game? No. Absolutely not.

quote:

here I am, scanning file timestamps and frowning, trying to figure out which set of files is my set of correct files and now I am computer-sciencing my way into your game

quote:

I am irate. I am irate because I tried so hard for some of you. No, I tried hard for all of you.

someone has been reading all this horseshit this whole time and most people don't even know this gay poo poo is going on

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

gently caress the ROW posted:

someone has been reading all this horseshit

are you sure

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Patreon honestly seems like the perfect place to setup an online pyramid scheme.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Neurolimal posted:

are you sure

thousands of people minimum are reading this horseshit, just from the tweets. Lol

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
twitterers dont count as people

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
people donate $1400 a month to fund this brave cat profesisonal

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
http://www.patreon.com/jennfrank

I don't get why awesome professional people can't just find a job so they don't have to beg strangers for money.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It's easy.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm a professional, in tthe sense that only a fat white chubby fuckbird would give me money for anything, and it has to be over the internet :D

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

How do you write a piece defending the organization while repeatedly, proudly, declaring that you not only did not play all games, those you did you only sometimes finished. Oh, yeah, I was supposed to report if I was having issues, but gently caress that. gently caress you it's your fault I suck.

Nothing 4Chan or anyone else does holds a candle to the amount of damage these people proudly and loudly do to themselves.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Paladinus posted:

http://www.patreon.com/jennfrank

I don't get why awesome professional people can't just find a job so they don't have to beg strangers for money.

Yep I still think running a kickstarter to fund your life is pretty loving gross

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

How do you write a piece defending the organization while repeatedly, proudly, declaring that you not only did not play all games, those you did you only sometimes finished. Oh, yeah, I was supposed to report if I was having issues, but gently caress that. gently caress you it's your fault I suck.

Nothing 4Chan or anyone else does holds a candle to the amount of damage these people proudly and loudly do to themselves.

the poo poo about "don't make me computer science" was the best. Lol the poor woman is under a heavy strain

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

patreon is insanely terrible regardless of gender

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

everybody itt expressing their opinion about how good or bad academia is should have to post their field of study and level of educational attainment which im sure will lead us down a very enlightening and respectful road indeed
when i was going for my degree linguistics i proposed the idea that non-voice acted games could serve as a motivational tool for esl acquisition

basically i'm probably not the only person who's glad i only have a ba

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

thousands of people minimum are reading this horseshit, just from the tweets. Lol

yes all those totally legit tweets

https://twitter.com/GAMERGATEebooks

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Paladinus posted:

Okay, first let me know what you think about this study.
http://comm.arizona.edu/sites/comm.arizona.edu/files/JOBEM_aubrey%20et%20al.pdf
Do you agree with its findings?

Sure looks legit. what's wrong with it?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
The ending really drives it home. "The gently caress are you nerds gonna do about it? Make your own thing? HAH gently caress you!"

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like reading about games on the AVclub. They always find something interesting.

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

here I am, scanning file timestamps and frowning, trying to figure out which set of files is my set of correct files and now I am computer-sciencing my way into your game

Lol FTP and time stamp comparison equates to computer science"ing".

Similarly, stomping out emon, zork, or RPGMaker poo poo qualifies you as a dev.

Hey, loving "journalists" - stop appropriating my loving cis het white male STEM culture.

fnox
May 19, 2013

whoa what the gently caress? she doesn't review the game if it throws a runtime error on install? that's on par with the cannes film festival denying your entry because you happened to encode it as an FLV and the reviewers didn't have anything to open the file with.

like, if I busted my rear end coding a game and the loving reviewer can't bother to install the required C++ runtimes to actually run the loving game I'd be so pissed. no, Jenn Frank, you don't know how computers work. computers are complicated, and particularly poo poo like game engines are sensitive as gently caress to the smallest changes on the underlying OS as there's just way too many components involved trying to make the most out of the available resources. you have one job, play, and you tell me it's more complicated than actually designing and coding a game?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

a common theme in the people you find, involved with this, is that they all claim to be professional somethings, but also no one will pay them to do anything so they have to beg for money online
This definitely seems to be a common theme in gaming, even the devs do it, and they get millions of dollars too

Clitch posted:

Sexual objectification debates are mobius strips of futility. There's not a sexually functioning person on this planet who isn't guilty of it. Sizing someone up as a physical specimen isn't aberrant, it's a basic evolutionary function.

It's obvious that sexual objectification in media has an effect on people who consume that media. That the idea is in dispute is just dumb, but the notion that the answer is stamping it out is laughable. It's Feminism's own version of Abstinence Only Sexual Education. It's a position that denies not just the most base motives of both men and women, but the overriding core purpose of life on this planet. Prayer and Sisterhood aren't going to make a dent. The solution is actual, well-reasoned education aimed at, not preventing an unpreventable thing, but to best deal with that thing so all parties are healthy and safe. That education would do more to temper sexual objectification in media simply by making people more aware of it, and less susceptible to its worst effects.

TL;DR We should all quit being a bunch of dumbass prudes, and have real discussions about sexuality.
This is a good seriouspost and a great "intro to media criticism" class to make people more aware of sexual objectification is Feminist Frequency's Tropes vs Women

Snowman95 posted:

The only site I went to outta all this was the escapist to check the movie review and yahtzee

Now reading those tweets from moviebob, lmao, will stick with redletter media, people should put up a list of non douche website we can support / visit, I know techraptor is one, any others?
Wait what

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
here i am, frowning at timestamps - you think its, funny, to subject me to the misogony of finding the most recent file?? This is funny to you???

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Oh shiiiiiiii

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fnox posted:

whoa what the gently caress? she doesn't review the game if it throws a runtime error on install? that's on par with the cannes film festival denying your entry because you happened to encode it as an FLV and the reviewers didn't have anything to open the file with.

like, if I busted my rear end coding a game and the loving reviewer can't bother to install the required C++ runtimes to actually run the loving game I'd be so pissed. no, Jenn Frank, you don't know how computers work. computers are complicated, and particularly poo poo like game engines are sensitive as gently caress to the smallest changes on the underlying OS as there's just way too many components involved trying to make the most out of the available resources. you have one job, play, and you tell me it's more complicated than actually designing and coding a game?

oh look, that's the 86th piece of poo poo game that wants me to install ".NET Framework"?? how about i install a 0 for wasting my time

reviewing games is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

like, holy poo poo the IGF submission form explicitely tells you there's no real platform restrictions, if they actually have a problem with judges getting runtime errors the least they can loving do is tell people what the review machines are gonna be like in terms of specs.

• Locked thread