Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would probably enjoy that more than season one tbqh with you.

Also give me Hellcat season 1 already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Autism Sneaks posted:

please no more Dexter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sXlaBa75Iw

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kingcom posted:

If they're clever about it they can have her going off and doing the private eye stuff with the Kilgrave talking to her and she's responding and explaining things and whats shes doing/why without needing to have a monologue about it.

Jessica: Arkham Knight.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

esperterra posted:

I would probably enjoy that more than season one tbqh with you.

I consider JJ S1 a very well executed (not perfect, mind) show with excellent casting and characters that's deeply uncomfortable and un-fun to watch.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I didn't finish Iron Fist, can someone summarize the important plot points for me before The Defenders? Who lived, who died, dramatic reveals about The Hand, etc.

The last things I remember were CEO Dad coming back to life and a fight scene with a Chinese hobo who was not Chinese.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

THF13 posted:

I didn't finish Iron Fist, can someone summarize the important plot points for me before The Defenders? Who lived, who died, dramatic reveals about The Hand, etc.

People betray Danny, then those people say "I only did it cuz I had to" and join him, then other people betray him, repeat 85323 times. After defeating the final baddie, Danny decides to return to K'un Lu'n, and for some lord-knows-why reason Colleen goes with him, but it's vanished.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also Danny and Davos fight at the end for some reason and Colleen gets to kill a guy. Harold Meachum somehow measures up as a mighty foe for Danny despite having no super powers beyond a metal pipe.

I'm not knocking the idea of a pipe though. Pipe's a great weapon but maybe not for someone who seems like they have they ability to punch through tanks.

Works much better here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4DP_ci1aAM

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

THF13 posted:

The last things I remember were CEO Dad coming back to life and a fight scene with a Chinese hobo who was not Chinese.

Also one of the Hand fraction leaders introduced in Iron Fist looks like he'll appear in Defenders in some capacity.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

THF13 posted:

It's been while, but from memory:

They get back to the states and realize Colleen's been poisoned. They call her secretive master, Bakuto, for help. He teaches Danny that the Iron Fist can also use chi to heal, and promises to teach him all of its secrets. Together they capture Madame Gao. Bakuto takes her back to his secret compound to keep her prisoner. Danny's old friend, Davos, shows up in New York and randomly threatens a food truck owner with shuriken he made from aluminum foil for no reason.

Danny is framed for running the massive drug conspiracy within the Rand corporation (despite only being back for days). They flee the law and hide out at Bakuto's compound for troubled teens. There they learn that Bakuto runs a faction of the Hand that opposes Gao. Colleen convinces Danny to give them a chance since this Hand is good and only wants to help the world. Danny finds a room full of computers with surveillance footage from multiple locations. He reacts by going into a blind rage and breaking lots of monitors. Bakuto reacts by ordering his death. He and his trainees, including Colleen's student who had been sent there earlier on the "scholarship," attempt to kill him. Davos shows up and helps Danny and Colleen to get out.

Tensions rise between Danny and Davos because he left his post, refuses to return immediately, and refuses to kill Colleen for being a Hand member. He leaves in a huff. Bakuto abandons the compound but leaves Gao behind in her cell. Danny interrogates her, but also leaves her there. She escapes offscreen. Eventually Colleen stabs Bakuto, but his body disappears when they look briefly look away. He's clearly either not dead or was recovered to be resurrected by the Hand.

Meanwhile, Harold is going murder crazy due to his repeated resurrections. He kills his assistant and has Ward dump the body. Joy later follows Ward and discovers her father is still alive. Ward tries to warn her away, but she won't listen. Her desperation to reconnect with her father and Harold's creepy dive into madness are actually pretty well done. Ward confides in Danny about his father, and they go to decapitate him so he can't regenerate again. Danny fights Harold until Ward finally shoots him.

Epilogue: Davos and Joy meet for coffee (despite having never being on screen together before). Davos suggests murdering Danny. Gao listens smugly from a table nearby.
Epilogue II: Danny and Colleen travel to the gates of K'un-Lun. They find four dead Hand ninjas and no city (not destroyed, just not there). Danny blames himself. Roll credits.

Astribulus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 17, 2017

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Final, final trailer.

https://youtu.be/QNwjRfSldM0

That's a drat good trailer, hype levels at max now. Also, more Jessica dunking on Danny.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
yaaaaaaaas matt gets pawnched

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I can't help thinking Murdock looks really out of place in full costume next to these regularly dressed people.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cran posted:

I can't help thinking Murdock looks really out of place in full costume next to these regularly dressed people.

I was thinking it's more significant that he gets identified as the Devil of Hell's Kitchen by a villain while out of any costume or disguise.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So when does this actually release?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Narcissus1916 posted:

So when does this actually release?

Midnight tonight.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

poo poo. I still got six episodes of Iron Fist to crank out. :(

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I got a couple of episodes of Luke Cage to rewatch. Then I have to decide if I'm going to rewatch DD S2 and IF or just go straight into Defenders.

Probably Defenders. But I'd like to refresh myself on DD S2 at least since I really don't remember a lot from it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I will never say a bad word about Iron Fist again if the Defenders just ends up being 8 hours of the B* from Apartment 23 dunking on Danny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

After all the trailers I'm very confident that The Defenders is going to come to be known as The Hazing of Danny Rand.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

Probably Defenders. But I'd like to refresh myself on DD S2 at least since I really don't remember a lot from it.

They somehow made ninjas boring, Punisher killed a bunch of dudes, Fisk is basically in charge of Rikers Island and also has a strong inkling that Murdock is Daredevil, Punisher killed some more dudes, Foggy joined Hogarth's firm, Karen knows Murdock is Daredevil, Elektra died but the Hand dug up her body and put her in the machine that brought UberNinjaMan back after he was lit on fire.

That's about it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean Jessica hating and dunking the poo poo out of Danny is canon even to the comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dexo posted:

I mean Jessica hating and dunking the poo poo out of Danny is canon even to the comics.

She's jealous of the deep bond he has with Luke.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Theres more iron fist usage in that trailer than the entirety of IF the show. Maybe this is good?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Theres more iron fist usage in that trailer than the entirety of IF the show. Maybe this is good?

Watch, it'll have been every instance of him using it this time around.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I love they still have Danny's little hallway shuffle in the last trailer, only they've added a jarring cut right as he jumps and lands, taking the one "interesting" thing he did out of the fight. Even the editors think Danny sucks.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I assume they mean midnight PST for most releases?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shinjobi posted:

So I assume they mean midnight PST for most releases?

Yeah, that's usually the case.

God bless living on the best coast.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

please no more Dexter

I never watched dexter, is that a thing that happens?

I was thinking more:

RareAcumen posted:

Jessica: Arkham Knight.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

kingcom posted:

I never watched dexter, is that a thing that happens?

I was thinking more:

Dude has his Ghost Dad follow him around and talk him through his murders and life's problems like where he left the keys and how to not be a total antisocial serial killer creep and whatnot.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
And it's up.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

And we're live. I already know I won't binge this one. Maybe the first two episodes and save the rest for the weekend.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Netflix is down for me

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It doesn't appear they bothered to introduce Finn Jones to a gym / weightlifting program for the show.

edit: I seriously hope one or more of the other Defenders, when introduced to him, makes some witty remark about "this scrawny loving twink is a magical kung fu superhero??"

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 18, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I appreciate that they as they change the focus on each character, they use the stylings from the respective shows, but it is a bit whiplash inducing tonally speaking.

re: Danny. Not the biggest fan of his run in Iron Fist. But I'm willing to give the character another chance with a different production team running things.

Pellisworth posted:

It doesn't appear they bothered to introduce Finn Jones to a gym / weightlifting program for the show.

edit: I seriously hope one or more of the other Defenders, when introduced to him, makes some witty remark about "this scrawny loving twink is a magical kung fu superhero??"

Eh, he's basically a scrawny twig in the comics, so that's less bothersome to me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pellisworth posted:

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Good first episode, I thought.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2 episodes in and every time JJ isn't on screen I'm asking "Where's Jessica?"

Not that the rest isn't good but god I missed this character and even if there isn't a lot of meat yet she's got the most interesting stuff so far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just finished ep2 as well.

Overall, I think the way everything is paced works. There's not a lot superfluous stuff going on, so the different threads (which I'm sure all lead to the same place) are nice and tight with no wasted moments. So far I think the Matt stuff is the weakest, but still not bad. Jessica's plot line is v. good and she's actually been wearing her investigator hat. Danny is a lot more focused than he was in Iron Fist. And Luke is being Luke, which is good.

I also have to say, as much as I like Luke. See his smug, condescending expression get literally punched off his face by glowy fist was kind of satisfying.

The Danny stuff is not insufferable, so that's a plus.

Also, based on how she's worded some of her comments about New York and Brahams, Alexandra is either an immortal or *incredibly* long-lived. And Stick may be as well

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 18, 2017

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm going to assume that the opening scene is a homage to Iron Fist's horrific choreography and not a sign of how bad the action will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

I just finished ep2 as well.

Overall, I think the way everything is paced works. There's not a lot superfluous stuff going on, so the different threads (which I'm sure all lead to the same place) are nice and tight with no wasted moments. So far I think the Matt stuff is the weakest, but still not bad. Jessica's plot line is v. good and she's actually been wearing her investigator hat. Danny is a lot more focused than he was in Iron Fist. And Luke is being Luke, which is good.

I also have to say, as much as I like Luke. See his smug, condescending expression get literally punched off his face by glowy fist was kind of satisfying.

The Danny stuff is not insufferable, so that's a plus.

Also, based on how she's worded some of her comments about New York and Brahams, Alexandra is either an immortal or *incredibly* long-lived. And Stick may be as well

Same, finished ep 2 and I'm done for the night. Seems pretty good so far, they do seem to be keeping things focused which is good when you're blending four shows together in an 8-episode miniseries.

Finn Jones' fighting seems to have improved based on the fight scene (end ep 2) against Luke Cage which I thought was pretty funny. Danny just trying to be all fancy and failing miserably until bam, Iron Fist.

Yeah I think it's made pretty obvious Alexandra is centuries old, at least. They also make a very big show about how Madam Gao is her inferior, like when she tells Gao to finish feeding the birds. Alexandra's a big fish.

Show seems off to a decent start. Not amazing, but promising.