Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Definitely don’t get an Asus Z370 board for overclocking. (Unless you’re buying one of their top end ROG ones.) The VRMs aren’t good and don’t hold up. ASRock is fine.

RAM speed was proven awhile back to matter for gaming. (It matters even more for Ryzen due to the Infinity Fabric.) 3000 or 3200 speed is the sweet spot.

I wouldn’t trust LTT to benchmark a toaster these days, but that graph seems to be showing a GPU waiting on resources from the CPU and is poor RAM analysis.

Well, I found cheap 3000mhz ram for him anyway, but still I don't think it really matters for Intel gaming, I'd be interested to see some other benches.

The Z370 ITX board I listed is the top of the line Asus makes for ITX... I'd think the VRMs are at least fine to handle any overclocking he's going to be doing with the air cooler he plans to use. If he were going CLC and jam some real watts I might second guess it.

Edit: researching, the ITX board launched with a voltage drop issue, as all their other Z370 boards had, but they've since been fixed with a BIOS patch.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
A couple years ago I bought this mobo: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131771

If I were to pick up a new processor, like say http://www.microcenter.com/product/485321/Core_i7-7700K_Kaby_Lake_42_GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor

am I still good mobo wise? Or do I gotta do the full replacement?

I’m guessing it’s going to be replacement time but looking to see what kind of money I am looking at spending.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Tensokuu posted:

A couple years ago I bought this mobo: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131771

If I were to pick up a new processor, like say http://www.microcenter.com/product/485321/Core_i7-7700K_Kaby_Lake_42_GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor

am I still good mobo wise? Or do I gotta do the full replacement?

I’m guessing it’s going to be replacement time but looking to see what kind of money I am looking at spending.

You're going to be replacing the mobo, both because both listed items have different pin counts (1155 & 1151 respectively) but also because the latter is DDR4 only.

That said, the new hotness is Coffee Lake, so the CPU you buy should start with 8, and the board should be a Z370.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if I were you I'd just check that mobo on eBay, if you get lucky someone will buy it to replace a broken board. The only CPUs that still work with that are slower and will burn a lot of electricity.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Arivia posted:

RAM speed was proven awhile back to matter for gaming. (It matters even more for Ryzen due to the Infinity Fabric.) 3000 or 3200 speed is the sweet spot.

I'm not trying to start a slapfight, but do you (or any other goons for that matter) have any supporting evidence for this assessment? I've seen it mentioned multiple times in the thread, but I can't recall seeing why it's so.

The reason I'm asking is that I saw a Gamers Nexus benchmark of BF1, and they mention specifically that the relevance of ram speed inversely correlates with resolution, which has me wondering if that's a trend across all games.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mooktastical posted:

The reason I'm asking is that I saw a Gamers Nexus benchmark of BF1, and they mention specifically that the relevance of ram speed inversely correlates with resolution, which has me wondering if that's a trend across all games.

It's not really about resolution, it's about framerate. You don't need much of a CPU to play at 60 fps regardless of resolution, it's just that lower resolutions often support higher framerates (and can be run at higher framerates on reasonable hardware). 144 Hz is pretty common these days at 1440p and 1080p, and a high-end 1080p monitor could be as high as 240 Hz.

The whole point of testing at lower resolutions is to give you an idea of what performance will be like if you drop in a Volta card next year and suddenly are a lot less GPU-bottlenecked. I'm kinda surprised to see Steve making this argument tbh.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Sweet. Yeah was gonna grab some DDR4 RAM and a 1080 graphics card anyhow so I’m cool with upgrading. Thanks guys I appreciate it!

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's not really about resolution, it's about framerate. You don't need much of a CPU to play at 60 fps regardless of resolution, it's just that lower resolutions often support higher framerates (and can be run at higher framerates on reasonable hardware). 144 Hz is pretty common these days at 1440p and 1080p, and a high-end 1080p monitor could be as high as 240 Hz.

The whole point of testing at lower resolutions is to give you an idea of what performance will be like if you drop in a Volta card next year and suddenly are a lot less GPU-bottlenecked. I'm kinda surprised to see Steve making this argument tbh.

I get why lower resolutions are relevant, but what's the rationale behind the standard suggestion of "get 3000mhz or 3200mhz ram or you're going to sacrifice FPS"? Again, I'm not trying to start a slapfight, I'm just curious as to what measurements were used to come to such a solution.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Zero VGS posted:

I would not worry about the case, I have literally built no less than a dozen PCs with that case and never had a problem. I have the Z270 version of that motherboard which had an identical layout, no trouble there either, but you could go with an ASRock Z370 and save even more money if you don't need dual M.2 slots.

Understand that both don't have many reviews on NewEgg, and the people who show up to a review to complain are going to be over-represented vs satisfied customers.

I'm still not sold on the first case you suggested, only because PCP isn't saying it's compatible, I don't mind having a slightly larger case with the V21 I linked. What about this motherboard though in comparison to your original suggestion? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ID=3938566&SID=

I don't really need wifi, although the new board I listed has a review with concerns about overclocking the i7-8700k. I honestly don't know what I'm sacrificing and gaining with either board, trying to ask not stupid questions :smith:

New parts list with 1080ti and mobo/case changes: PCPartPicker part list

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mooktastical posted:

I get why lower resolutions are relevant, but what's the rationale behind the standard suggestion of "get 3000mhz or 3200mhz ram or you're going to sacrifice FPS"? Again, I'm not trying to start a slapfight, I'm just curious as to what measurements were used to come to such a solution.

Here's some benchmarks for Coffee Lake.

Essentially, with really slow RAM you actually are leaving a fair bit of performance on the table, but the gains at the high end are mostly minimal. 3000 and 3200 are enough to capture most of the gains but not overly expensive (eg for 16 GB you might pay $10-20 more than the cheapest thing you could get).

For the most part, what matters is the actual latency in nsec (not in clock cycles), so (eg) DDR4-3000 CAS15 and DDR4-3200 CAS16 are effectively the same thing. On the other hand Ryzen actually keys its inter-core transport off the RAM clocks, so you would prefer the 3200 there (and ideally you would buy Samsung B-die memory since it supports much faster clocks and tighter timings).

There are certain titles like ARMA 3 and Witcher 3 that do show even more significant scaling from faster RAM - quite a lot of "difficult to run" titles actually do. So it's also fairly cheap insurance against poorly coded titles, even if it's not an earthshattering difference on average.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

katkillad2 posted:

I'm still not sold on the first case you suggested, only because PCP isn't saying it's compatible, I don't mind having a slightly larger case with the V21 I linked. What about this motherboard though in comparison to your original suggestion? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ID=3938566&SID=

I don't really need wifi, although the new board I listed has a review with concerns about overclocking the i7-8700k. I honestly don't know what I'm sacrificing and gaining with either board, trying to ask not stupid questions :smith:

New parts list with 1080ti and mobo/case changes: PCPartPicker part list

The only thing that could possibly be "not compatible" with the Core V1 is the cooler you have, which might be because they've never tested it or they're assuming you're using all the fans and a certain orientation. I've fit some big-rear end coolers in it.

With that said, this Corsair H90 is an amazing water cooler for less money, and I bet if you put it in the parts picker the rest of the build will show as compatible: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181064

I've used a bunch of those Corsair Hydro H90 Refurb from NewEgg, the refurbs are quieter than the brand new ones, because they have a fresh top-up of fluid in them instead of the "new" ones that have been sitting on a shelf for 5 years slowly evaporating. Anyway, you just take the radiator and it screws right to the inside of the case in front of the 200mm fan. It fits the V1 and cools an insane amount.

There's nothing wrong with the V21 but it is quite a bit larger; the V1 is a foot in all directions while the V21 is like 1.5 feet in all directions, doesn't sound like much but that makes it triple the size and in some ways a small midtower is more manageable.

Also PCPP says the GPU fits but "might block drive bays", I can assure you that GPU fits fine and goes nowhere near the drive bay mounts or anything else, not sure what they're talking about.

Edit:

Here's someone with a larger GPU and water cooler in the Core V1 so you can see what I mean, when the front case goes on it covers the GPU totally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUlqf_izP94&t=182s

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 10, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
If I wanted to splurge on a new GPU, what's the difference between a 1070ti and a 1080?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

If I wanted to splurge on a new GPU, what's the difference between a 1070ti and a 1080?

Not much. If you can get a 1070ti within 20-30 dollars of MSRP, go for it. Otherwise upgrade to the 1080.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm looking at building a couple new workstations for work and trying to nail down some of the decisions. The major use case for these systems is 2D AutoCAD work, which at this point is apparently optimized for single thread performance.

Given the single thread performance, I'm planning on going with i5-8600k. I don't plan on overclocking a ton since reliability is at a premium here, but I like that the option is there.

Is there a best-value option as far as CPU cooler goes? Doesn't need to be silent, but quiet is a plus.

As far as cases go, I see a glut of gamer-focused glass and RGB monstrosities. Is there a go to mid-tower case that doesn't look like I spent company money on a ~~K1ller Gam1ng R1G~~? I do need to have a 5.25" slot.

I've found no good information on how well AutoCAD LT (2D AutoCAD) uses GPU acceleration, so I'm planning on targeting value. Is the GTX 1050 basically the best value for a card with decent performance that also supports 3+ displays? I know workstation cards targeted towards CAD professionals are out there, but from what I can tell the cost is significantly more for the same performance and I don't really do the type of work that would benefit from them.

I never saw any replies to my question a few days ago, but I threw together this build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($279.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($175.44 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($168.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING Video Card ($184.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1100.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-09 22:37 EST-0500

Thoughts? A few years ago Seasonic was one of the best PSU makers, is that still the case?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pellisworth posted:

1080s are the better value at the moment, as they're only ~$30-50 more expensive than 1070Tis thanks to buttcoin mining.

Other than that, the difference is that 1080s use GDDR5X and are about 10-20% 'faster' than the 1070Ti.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thoughts? A few years ago Seasonic was one of the best PSU makers, is that still the case?

That PSU is hands down the best one in terms of value at the moment thanks to the 10 year warranty.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, the only reason the thread favorites have been the Corsair RMx and EVGA G2/G3 series is because they're known quantities. Only thing I can say about the Seasonic is that you need to put your proof of purchase in with the bag they give you your modular cables with. They want *strict* provenance if/when you put in for an RMA.

The G3 is definitely the 'go to' for an ITX build that doesn't require an SFX PSU.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Bigsteve posted:

I'm looking at building a new system, will be for 4k video/photo editing with some games thrown in.

Should I be looking at Nvidia cards for the gfx? Is the cpu beefy enough? Trying to keep as close as I can to a £1k budget and still have to add a case and a few cheap bits. (I have an ssd sitting unused so will be using that)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£169.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid Lite 120 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£37.13 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£77.00 @ Ebuyer)

Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£129.99 @ Ebuyer)

Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£68.34 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8GB Red Dragon Video Card (£248.99 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.98 @ CCL Computers)

Monitor: AOC - Q2778VQE 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor (£199.97 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £1002.39

probably go with intel instead or get fast ram, ryzen performance scales heavily with ram speed

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 10, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

For those looking to REALLY pinch pennies, Newegg currently has a really good price on a Hyper 212 HSF: https://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16835103218

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

If buying a 8700K I'd save $40 by buying a thermalright hr-02 instead of noctua, and buying a case of beer, delid tool and some conductonaut with the money saved. 10-20C lower temps compared to noctua, better cooling overall, you can rent/borrow the delid tool to friends..

And best of all, you still have that case of beer to crack open after a successful delid.

---

Someone talked about "mild oc" with motherboard's auto oc. Don't use auto oc because it gives 1.4V+ vcore just in case. I've seen many, many running 4,7ghz at 1.25V including mine.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You can also not void your warranty, and care a little less about temperatures.
You might maybe (i.e., mostly you won't) get another 100Mhz on a de-lidded CPU vs not, and/or a few C temperature difference, that'll never be a meaningful difference vis-a-vis lifespan.

For that, you lose your warranty and have a decent chance at breaking it.

You should never be budgeting around something like that, it's exclusively for bleeding edge overclocks from hobbiest overclockers.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
I grabbed an i7-8700k off of newegg. I will mostly use my computer gaming, and I'm having trouble deciding between the Noctua D15S and U14S. Should I be worried about the weight of the cooler at all? My monitors are a Dell U2415 (1920x1200 60hz) and an S2417DG (2560x1440p 144hz gsync). I'm sticking with the Asus mobo despite the vdroop complaints because I think they already have a bios update for it? Please correct me on this. I did plan on overclocking my cpu in the future, but thanks to the intel and the overclocking threads, I plan on at least 4.7ghz all core right away. Oh, and is 2 front intake + 1 back exhaust enough for this build? Thanks.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($414.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($201.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $875.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-10 04:57 EST-0500

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Mooktastical posted:

The best thing to go look for are DigitalFoundry's tests of the 8700K. (I can't easily go looking for a link at the moment.)

The main thing he points out is that you see a equal/larger benefit from faster RAM than from overclocking. And of course, both is better.

So pretty much the conclusion is if you're buying an 8700K, it'd be a mistake not to spring the extra $20 for DDR4-3000, because if that money's not worth it to you, what are you buying the 8700K for? An 8700 non-K would save you a few bucks, too, to start.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I paid 250€ for 2x8gb 3600cl15 memory. The price difference wasn't big enough to buy anything slower.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Khablam posted:

You might maybe (i.e., mostly you won't) get another 100Mhz on a de-lidded CPU vs not, and/or a few C temperature difference, that'll never be a meaningful difference vis-a-vis lifespan.

You should never be budgeting around something like that, it's exclusively for bleeding edge overclocks from hobbiest overclockers.

I sent my 8700k off to Silicon Lottery for them to delid and put liquid metal tim on, and reseal it with black silicone. $45 bucks shipping included and they have spare 8700k on standby if they somehow break yours.

Sure, I do forfeit the warranty, but I need those lower temps. I'm not even overclocking, I'm just running it stock and trying to keep the fan noise as low as possible in an extreme SFF case.

Edit: I got some liquid metal tim for me too, so it's gonna be a CPU with liquid metal to the IHS, then liquid metal again, then a vapor chamber all-copper Dynatron heat sink. My last challenge is getting the 2011 heat sink ziptied or otherwise affixed to this ITX 1151 board...

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 10, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zero VGS posted:

I sent my 8700k off to Silicon Lottery for them to delid and put liquid metal tim on, and reseal it with black silicone. $45 bucks shipping included and they have spare 8700k on standby if they somehow break yours.

Sure, I do forfeit the warranty, but I need those lower temps. I'm not even overclocking, I'm just running it stock and trying to keep the fan noise as low as possible in an extreme SFF case.

Edit: I got some liquid metal tim for me too, so it's gonna be a CPU with liquid metal to the IHS, then liquid metal again, then a vapor chamber all-copper Dynatron heat sink. My last challenge is getting the 2011 heat sink ziptied or otherwise affixed to this ITX 1151 board...

Is there a link showing them offering this service?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I googled silicon lottery delid

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/sl/products/delid

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah I mean $45 for them to spend the time and the Liquid Ultra and shipping, and guarantee they don't gently caress up, plus they've been in business for years now, seems like a good deal vs doing it myself. A delid tool and Liquid Ultra would set me back about the same amount. I've actually delidded Haswell myself with a vice and wood blocks and didn't gently caress up, but I still wouldn't want to try it again, it's risky.

Makes me wonder why Intel can't be bothered to do a liquid metal TIM, I get that solder is expensive but the liquid metal TIM is cheap and I think still lasts indefinitely.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Is Arctic Silver 5 still the go to compound or is there something better on the market these days?

Also does this look ok?

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor (£288.97 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks - PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£51.43 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£149.99)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£179.23 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Samsung - Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: Cooler Master - CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For £0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £759.61

Upgrading from an old i5 750 and 8Gb RAM. Going to be using it mainly for gaming. I have a bit of a backlog of games to play just now so i'm holding off on the graphics card upgrade to see what nVidia is up to after the new year.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

What's the deal with U.2 drives? I was playing around on partspicker and there didn't seem to be any mobos compatible with the 8700 that had a U.2 connector. Are they just new and uncommon?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

What's the deal with U.2 drives? I was playing around on partspicker and there didn't seem to be any mobos compatible with the 8700 that had a U.2 connector. Are they just new and uncommon?

U.2 has been around for a while, but it never gained much traction in the consumer space. It used to appear on higher end motherboards but has mostly been dropped in favor of more M.2 slots now.

If you really want to use a U.2 drive you can adapt an M.2 slot with an adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-M2-U2-131-SFF-8643-connector-PCIe-NVMe/dp/B01D2PXUQA

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Asciana posted:

Is Arctic Silver 5 still the go to compound or is there something better on the market these days?

Also does this look ok?

Upgrading from an old i5 750 and 8Gb RAM. Going to be using it mainly for gaming. I have a bit of a backlog of games to play just now so i'm holding off on the graphics card upgrade to see what nVidia is up to after the new year.

I'd advise trying to budget an 8700K since you're grandfathering a lot already. Other than that, Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut is the best *paste* out there right now - AS5's still okay, but it's far from the best.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Clanpot Shake posted:

U.2 is dead and irrelevant, like the band. M.2 was a mess at first (i.e. drives could be either Sata or PCIe bus, using one might cause your GPU to throttle, some motherboards couldn't boot from one, etc) but now if you buy something standard like 370-series motherboard of any form factor and a Samsung 960 Evo M.2, you can expect them to work perfectly.

I'm assuming you don't have a U.2 drive? They only showed up for a bit with random enterprise stuff like Intel Optane. Skip it if you don't have the drive, if you do, maybe flip it on eBay and switch to M.2 or use the adapter like someone mentioned.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd advise trying to budget an 8700K since you're grandfathering a lot already. Other than that, Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut is the best *paste* out there right now - AS5's still okay, but it's far from the best.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be replacing the graphics card / hard drives around January so hopefully that will be a second nice performance increase over what I have currently.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Zero VGS posted:

U.2 is dead and irrelevant, like the band. M.2 was a mess at first (i.e. drives could be either Sata or PCIe bus, using one might cause your GPU to throttle, some motherboards couldn't boot from one, etc) but now if you buy something standard like 370-series motherboard of any form factor and a Samsung 960 Evo M.2, you can expect them to work perfectly.

I'm assuming you don't have a U.2 drive? They only showed up for a bit with random enterprise stuff like Intel Optane. Skip it if you don't have the drive, if you do, maybe flip it on eBay and switch to M.2 or use the adapter like someone mentioned.

Good to know, thanks. I haven't bought one, I'm just thinking about upgrading my primary components after ~8 years and trying to get a lay off the land.

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.
Thanks for the feedback! Upgraded to Coffee Lake + a Z370 mobo.

I live in the US, will use the computer for gaming (nothing too crazy), and am not going to overclock. I have existing/New in Box hard drives to supplement the M.2 drive.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($233.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.89 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair - 250D Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1613.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-10 21:33 EST-0500

QUESTIONS!

--Am I good with this motherboard, or is there benefit to springing for one of the pricier options?
--Memory--right speed for this build?

Appreciate it!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Khablam posted:

The adage of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Snowdog79 posted:

Appreciate it!

Grab the 850W Seasonic Focus Plus for 90 bucks in the Brazilian Rainforest.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So my platter hard drive just died on me. It's been around for... a while (6-10 years?) and I'm looking at replacing it with a SSD to pair with my other, older/smaller SSD. This Western Digital Green 240GB has decent reviews and a really nice $/GB ratio.

1) Is there any reason why that would be a bad SSD? Should I look for something else? I'm aiming for a 240GB+ drive--that combined with my existing 120GB SSD should be enough to get me through until the end of 2017/early 2018 when I get a new mobo/processor/maybe a platter drive.
2) I assume it'd work with my fairly old Gigabyte mobo, right?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Maybe this seems obvious, but heads up to those installing an ASRock motherboard. I replaced an Asus Z370 board with an ASRock one and could not for the life of me figure out why it wouldn’t boot with the RAM clocked to 3000Mhz. Turns out that the Asus board only lets you select 3066 while the ASRock will let you do that and 3000. Took me a good 45 minutes to figure that out yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hopefully this question isn't too vague/annoying - I'm in the US for reference. I've got a 7 year old spare desktop in this case https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129061 with this PSU https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

It's just sitting around and I'd like to set it up to play some sort of CPU intensive games like WoW and Crusader Kings 2. The performance gamer set-up listed in the OP seems like way over-kill for that scenario but I'm not sure if the budget one makes a ton of sense? I'd ideally like to spend less than $500 and use as many old components as I can (case, PSU, monitor etc). I'm guessing I'll need a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Video Card at the least? I can probably scrape by with my current HDD as well if needed. Is there a set-up recommended for that?

Is there a smart/recommended place to buy second hand components? I don't really mind buying used stuff as long as there's some sort of guarantee that the things still function.This would all be for a 1080p resolution goal.