Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Idk someone in this thread like 15 pages back said it was the easiest nightfall and it triggered me super hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That guy is the worst boss because it sure is fun frittering around waiting for His Majesty to decide to show up for the fight for just a couple of seconds while obnoxious adds make you slower and less jumpy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Scornful Sexbot posted:

Guys I have tried the nightfall with my friends like 10 times and we can't beat the boss. It's gotten to the point that we are so good at everything else we get there with like 8 minutes and he still farts around the room and we miss with like 1/8th health left. Please help me I am dying.

I'm 285 they're like 276 each. I'm a titan who owns and they're a titan and warlock who own less hard.

Other thoughts - lion rampant legs have surpassed dunemarchers as best titan legs. Discuss.

There's no reward for having done every single nightfall, this one is bad and not fun so go do something that's neither of those

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

On a long enough timeline, the likelihood that a thread in games will include someone posting the phrase "final destination no items" to make fun of something approaches 100%.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

haveblue posted:

The good old days where it was not possible to overlevel and the only way to reach power parity with the raid was to beat it while handicapped :allears:

I mean I don't have any particular wish to go back there, I am happy having two characters at 300 or just below and a third character 280+, and I've only completed the raid twice.

I'm just pointing out that being 270 or so is in no way going to make the raid harder unless you are a moron who can't work together as a team. The only situation where DPS is an issue is the single boss fight in the raid. Even bathers won't be an issue for most because you will almost always have help and that encounter shits power ammo at you.

This raid of all the raids I've played from VoG on is the most dependent on communication and coordination and least dependent on making sure everyone can be a certain number going in, and that's cool and good.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Scornful Sexbot posted:

Guys I have tried the nightfall with my friends like 10 times and we can't beat the boss. It's gotten to the point that we are so good at everything else we get there with like 8 minutes and he still farts around the room and we miss with like 1/8th health left. Please help me I am dying.

I'm 285 they're like 276 each. I'm a titan who owns and they're a titan and warlock who own less hard.

Other thoughts - lion rampant legs have surpassed dunemarchers as best titan legs. Discuss.

There's no magic trick unfortunately, it's just a lovely fight. It's essentially the same fight as the normal strike just more difficult. 8 minutes should be enough time.

Aggressively go after the shield drops to replenish your shield. Wiping sucks and wastes tons of time. My groups have had success staggering our supers so that we didn't waste super time when the boss vanishes.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 22, 2017

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Is anyone else expecting Asher Mir to call you "Morty", and belch loudly?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Emron posted:

On a long enough timeline, the likelihood that a thread in games will include someone posting the phrase "final destination no items" to make fun of something approaches 100%.

Because it's the most perfect distillation of the shittiest attitude in gaming possible. It's really unmatched in its utility to say so much so specifically with so few words.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mikeraskol posted:

There's no magic trick unfortunately, it's just a lovely fight. It's essentially the same fight as the normal strike just more difficult. 8 minutes should be enough time.

Aggressively go after the shield drops to replenish your shield. Wiping sucks and wastes tons of time. My groups have had success staggering our supers so that we didn't waste super time when the boss vanishes.

As with most difficult encounters in Destiny, the proest tip can be boiled down to "don't die lol."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

DrNutt posted:

As with most difficult encounters in Destiny, the proest tip can be boiled down to "don't die lol."

Fair enough, I was more trying to make the point about the shield modifier. Sometimes in this NF you have to play aggressive at low health so you can get that drop to restore your shields since you can't just hide and have them regenerate. I recognize that the "wiping sucks and wastes tons of time" is a stupid thing to say though.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 22, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

Not dying helps but if the boss randomly decides you're not allowed to hurt him for a while you're just hosed.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Waffle House posted:

Is anyone else expecting Asher Mir to call you "Morty", and belch loudly?

He's more of an old-timey cantankerous scholar. If he wasn't in the field he would be running a school and handing out demerits to misbehaving students.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mikeraskol posted:

Fair enough, I was more trying to make the point about the shield modifier. Sometimes in this NF you have to play aggressive at low health so you can get that drop to restore your shields. I recognize that the "wiping sucks and wastes tons of time" is a stupid thing to say though.

Not at all. It took my group two attempts yesterday and on the successful attempt we managed to keep at least one person alive to rez the other two. Wiping vs not wiping in an encounter like that is a pretty huge difference.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

haveblue posted:

Not dying helps but if the boss randomly decides you're not allowed to hurt him for a while you're just hosed.

It's a pretty poo poo encounter to be sure. Any boss with an arbitrary "cannot damage for x amount of time phase" is pretty poo poo, with the exception of stuff like raid bosses where the mechanics are built around more complicated stuff than just dps checks.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I like Asher because he reminds me of one of the robot brain scientists from the Old World Blues DLC from Fallout New Vegas. Wouldn't be surprised if he was also one of its voice actors.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mikeraskol posted:

Fair enough, I was more trying to make the point about the shield modifier. Sometimes in this NF you have to play aggressive at low health so you can get that drop to restore your shields since you can't just hide and have them regenerate. I recognize that the "wiping sucks and wastes tons of time" is a stupid thing to say though.

Yah I've personally had a lot of success with a sword that regenerates ammo on kills doing that and trying to clear the little bitches but it's never enough!!!!!!

I honestly might just break their hearts and suggest we wait until next week teleporting bosses in timed levels is just bad

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
New City of Villains-style alternate story start where yr in with the Exo Stranger's camp wtih scorch/shoch/null subclasses and get some open world factional PVP going

there was a time when I thought this kind of thing might be on the table for D2

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I think the best strategy for this week's boss is the hang out by the cheese spot in the upper left. Two people on top of the crates- not necessarily hiding but just taking cover. They focus on clearing ads, especially the shanks. The third jumps out in front with a full auto shotty/sword/merciless when there's not too many ads. They want to lure the boss in, then unload on him, and do this asap. Rotate people as you run out of heavy. If you get supers use them to clear ads mainly, but also hit the boss if he's there. Final and most important step is to pray.

e; for the rest of it:

first outdoor section- just go on foot, team shooting enemies and looking for anomalies. Trying to sparrow through WILL get you killed and you don't save time. There's like 10 anomalies in the area (including one on a cave on the left), that'll get you plenty of time.

defend the thing- save your supers until the big shanks show up and then blast them immediately. Other than that just focus the electric shanks, and use heavy on the majors.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 22, 2017

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
The oracles that you have to kill to get more time do not change spawn locations. You can hit max time really easily by learning where they spawn.

This applies for both the NF and the 300 exotic shotgun quest thing.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

yeah has anyone else noticed a thing where one oracle in the raid shotgun strike gives like a dozen time boosts? Like 5+ minutes worth. It happened I think on all three of our attempts before we won.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's one in the section towards the end where you have to open a door and then the boss is there and you fight a bunch of adds before you go up the big elevator.

On the first bridge area with turrets there's a door/hallway with 1 mob and an oracle in it. Gives you like 3 minutes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So as I understand it, loot drops based on your max "possible" Power, not the Power you actually currently have, right? Meaning you don't have to only use Biggest Numbers to get better stuff. I get that part. But does it count things in your Vault? Can I finally just shove Prospector in the bin (it's my highest Power weapon :suicide: )

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrNutt posted:

this is also the best advice for PvP

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

precision posted:

So as I understand it, loot drops based on your max "possible" Power, not the Power you actually currently have, right? Meaning you don't have to only use Biggest Numbers to get better stuff. I get that part. But does it count things in your Vault? Can I finally just shove Prospector in the bin (it's my highest Power weapon :suicide: )

counts your vault, counts other characters

I'mmmm not sure if it counts postmaster, but I'd doubt it

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Tei posted:

What I don't like about sports is that you know the game field shape, the number of enemies, the weapons.

In a sport game is very rare that 300 players play against 100.000.

So where is the chaos and surprise that is the spice of life? is not on sports.

This is a very hot take, Tei

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

precision posted:

This only seems to be the case for "powerful" gear. Because purple drops on my alts definitely correspond to my alt's power level and not my max.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

DrNutt posted:

This only seems to be the case for "powerful" gear. Because purple drops on my alts definitely correspond to my alt's power level and not my max.

It goes off all the gear on your account that you can equip on that character. So it will count guns in your vault or on other characters, but not your Warlock's armor when you're on your Titan because they can't equip it.

What I'm wondering is if it takes into account the equipped exotic limits. Does it just look at the highest light available to you in each slot individually and add it up, or is it based on the highest light gear load-out that you can actually equip.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 22, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hulk Krogan posted:

It goes off all the gear on your account that you can equip on that character. So it will count guns in your vault or on other characters but it won't count your Warlock's armor when you're on your Titan since they can't equip it.

oh hey that makes a lot of sense now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When it says highest attainable light, it means it. It'll even pick the right exotics to max the light of the hypothetical build it's basing your drops on.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm finding D2 underwhelming purely in terms of potential. If you take it for what it is, it's a fun enough loot shooter with excellent gunplay, but it just feels like they threw all their energy in completely the wrong direction.

Like if they'd spent less time on the optional sidequest adventure areas, and made a huge list of lost sectors that rotate weekly and vary each time you play them. They're trying to run an mmo-esque game without regularly releasing new content.

Strikes in particular are a huge mis-step because you get way, way more purples doing patrols and events. By the time I thought of doing them, adventures had taken me over 265 so i just shredded any blues that did drop, then got bored of the rotation only seeming to pull up the same three strikes, two of whoch were on nessus and the other which is pyramidion, so might as well have been on Nessus.

Maybe it's just me but its the replayability that's completely anaemic. D1, I used to eagerly await daily resets for the challenges, pick a few up, do the daily, get my weekly boxes. There was always something to do.

Now it just feels like after you get all the powerful loot, the rest of the week is just pointless. I really hope that Factions add something, but it looks like they've been relocated to another iron banner / srl type special event.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

yeah if you're levelling an alt you get a massive bump in the level of your drops/engrams as soon as you hit 20 because it now calculates off of the guns on your main/in your vault you could equip. You don't even have to send them over or equip them to get the boost.

which, I think there's some legendaries or the campaign exotics that can be infused but require only level 16 or something to equip? So that'd be a big boost as well.

e; so I was looking at different weapons to see which I had that were level 16 and noticed the raid exotic quest shotgun had no level requirement, but turns out you actually can't store/transfer that weapon. If you want one on multiple characters you gotta run the quest 3 times.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 22, 2017

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

“Bobby Deluxe” posted:

They’re trying to run an mmo-esque game without regularly releasing new content.

It's been two weeks dude

“Bobby Deluxe” posted:

Maybe it’s just me but its the replayability that’s completely anaemic. D1, I used to eagerly await daily resets for the challenges, pick a few up, do the daily, get my weekly boxes. There was always something to do.

Now it just feels like after you get all the powerful loot, the rest of the week is just pointless.

D1 was almost entirely oriented around weekly challenges for high end loot, literally nothing has changed ???

Like I think the game deserves some criticisms but..eh

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
The "replayability" of destiny 1 was endlessly repeating the same poo poo over and over hoping the game didn't gently caress you and actually gave you good loot. Destiny 2 has far more content than destiny 1 did at launch and doesn't actively waste your time with player hostile mechanics. I'll take a fun and fairer destiny that I don't play as much over the horseshit of destiny 1 any day.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Well said by someone who probably put hundreds of hours into Destiny 1.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
It is pretty freakin' weird that strikes, being much higher production and at least a little less boring than public events, feel so pointless this time around outside of nightfalls tho

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Yeah like 370 hours, most of that before the taken king.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Can spurgelords stop complaining that they played 10 hours a day for 2 weeks and ran outa poo poo to do?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

LMFAO god dammit

So. Trials this weekend? ;)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Maybe it's just me but its the replayability that's completely anaemic. D1, I used to eagerly await daily resets for the challenges, pick a few up, do the daily, get my weekly boxes. There was always something to do.

I'm not really sure I understand this.

Challenges are basically the same as bounties in D1, except streamlined in both accessibility and rewards. If you were doing bounties for fun, then you can do challenges for fun. If you were doing them for rewards- well the rewards for a challenge are basically the same- faction rep. Which you'd want to get guns you might not have, cool looking armour, shaders, emblems... sure they won't be higher power but doing bounties in D1 didn't get you higher light either.

Weekly boxes yeah. I'm sure bungie will bring those back or something similar when player count starts to fall, although to some degree bright engrams fill the same niche and there's no limit on those.

Daily mission... yeah. There's Ikora's weekly thing but it's just three missions per week, with no modifiers or anything. It'd be nice if they got a modifier at least, or had better pacing than just 3 per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Loot Cave