Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

Update: Changi terminal 2 has a 24hr dim sum place with big signs that say "BEERS Are Sold Here" and the beer fridge has a sign on top saying "Just DRINK"

And a woman asked if I wanted to go somewhere, do massage? I politely declined.
Haha was this in the public area or after immigration? I just go to 7-11 for my airport beer needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

E: I'm trying to locate a series of alarmist "advice" my sister's friend passed her but the email seems to have gone into the void. I'll post it when I find it.

This was what I got (truncated some bits):

quote:

I HATE IT HERE. REALLY AND TRULY, I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW ANYONE CAN STAND IT.

There is a big range of quality of living for expats here. The rent is expensive. And not worth it. One can live in a hovel for 200/month. With this you get a bucket shower, a squat toilet that uses the bucket to flush. Concrete floors. No air con. A single light bulb hanging from the ceiling. No furniture or kitchen appliances.

The hygiene is bad here. Everything is dirty. I don't really like [the food]. It's really its own thing. It's not like indian or chinese or thai or cambodian etc...

Taxis are cheap but they are terrible drivers.

The filth is inconceivable. It's mindblowing. And they just don't understand hygiene. A guy tried to serve me a plate of rice with ashes that had fallen from his cigarette and ants crawling on it. They use public communal cups for water on the street.

A lot of people like it. Are you buddhist? There are temples. There is an ancient city of temples.

Is your brother healthy? Like physically fit? The sidewalks are pretty rough here.

:shepface: YAY :shepface:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gail Wynand posted:

Haha was this in the public area or after immigration? I just go to 7-11 for my airport beer needs.

This was after immigration, a floor below the 7-11. The beers were $12--I'll admit I have no idea how off-base that is by Singapore standards, I didn't heck how much the beers were in the Sev.

Saw the same lady a little later walking somewhere with some other white dude. Saw her again after that in line at the 7-11. She was buying more hand lotion.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

You thing Yangon is lovely and awkward, for reasons I don't care to explain I landed at Mong Hsat "airport" and had to visit some villages north into the mountains. Someone literally offered me rice with blood in it, fresh, from an animal he just slaughtered.

I actually quite like much of the Burmese countryside though. Mae Aw/Ban Rak Thai and the surrounding resevoir into Burma is really chill as gently caress.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 25, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Gotta keep your iron levels up!

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

This was what I got (truncated some bits):

:shepface: YAY :shepface:

What kind of work are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

And more importantly, how much are you being paid? Are we talking SE Asian wages or western? Will you get some sort of hardship allowance, is your company paying your accommodation etc?

The country is expensive by SE Asian standards especially to live anything close to a western lifestyle. We got talking to a couple of expats in a western bar in Mandalay and they recommended we go to some hotel the next day for "the cheapest brunch in town".... only $20 each! The more money you've got the better, it's not a place for backpackers to bum around for a few months. Well, not unless they live in a temple and "find themselves".

The communal water pots are a bit weird but I drank from them a few times and had no problems. The water in them (officially) comes from government water plants which treat the water first, although not up to Singapore or western standards obviously. The tap water is considered unsafe, but literally everywhere serves free tea all day everyday so at least you know its been boiled.

There are local/western tiers of prices in many countries but it's very pronounced in Burma and they're not remotely ashamed of it, and in many ways nor should they be. For things like bottled water it might get expensive getting them from a supermarket everyday, so make a Burmese friend and ask him to buy them in bulk for you every now and then. I expect expats in your office will have a system for this. I met a guy in Cambodia moaning about the water prices; turns out he was buying litre bottles from a western supermarket at $1 each; go to a water seller by the side of the road and you can get them for 50 cents. Literally say hello in Khmer and it's 25 cents. Buy a 20 litre dispenser and get it filled for about $3, that's 15 cents per litre. So there are ways round everything! And you should be drinking beer anyway.

As for food, find the Indians and eat curries. There will be Indians, there are always Indians.

Although I did have the worst meal I've ever had at an Indian food stall north of Mandalay which literally tasted like poo

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In Cambodia, it's news when there's even a slight one or two week break in the constant barrage of deathpat announcements:

http://bit.ly/1l7jOPF

EDIT: Oh ho ho, awesome. Another gem from K440:

https://www.facebook.com/sihanoukvilleimmigrationpolice?hc_location=timeline

Sihanoukville's Immigration Police have a Facebook page. Comedy ensues.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 25, 2014

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

This was after immigration, a floor below the 7-11. The beers were $12--I'll admit I have no idea how off-base that is by Singapore standards, I didn't heck how much the beers were in the Sev.

Saw the same lady a little later walking somewhere with some other white dude. Saw her again after that in line at the 7-11. She was buying more hand lotion.
Haha. $12 is normal for SG but a ripoff at the airport, you can buy a tallboy of tax free beer at the 7-11 for $3-4 and nobody gives a poo poo if you drink it in the terminal.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Yeah, I ate Indian too all the time while in Rangoon. Downtown is filthy like everyone's said. Was happy to get out of there after a day or two.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

In Cambodia, it's news when there's even a slight one or two week break in the constant barrage of deathpat announcements:

http://bit.ly/1l7jOPF

EDIT: Oh ho ho, awesome. Another gem from K440:

https://www.facebook.com/sihanoukvilleimmigrationpolice?hc_location=timeline

Sihanoukville's Immigration Police have a Facebook page. Comedy ensues.

Unfortunately "cheating" probably translates into 'stealing' rather than the comedy option we all hope (monger gets caught cheating on wife and gets jailed).

I just read the comment and it appears he was stealing from a restaurant

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

duckmaster posted:

I met a guy in Cambodia moaning about the water prices; turns out he was buying litre bottles from a western supermarket at $1 each; go to a water seller by the side of the road and you can get them for 50 cents. Literally say hello in Khmer and it's 25 cents. Buy a 20 litre dispenser and get it filled for about $3, that's 15 cents per litre. So there are ways round everything! And you should be drinking beer anyway.
Yeah the discount for greeting people with "bong" is always hilarious. It seemed to shave $1 or so off a tuk tuk ride on this most recent trip.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
When I got to BKK I needed to meet someone at the Starbucks, which is why one of my first acts in this country was to ask someone where the Starbucks was. Shameful.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
E: Phone

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

As shameful as a double post!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

For first meetings I prefer to meet at swensons

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Any store with an old Chinese lady looking at you funny and a concrete table you can drink at is more my speed (in Thailand).

EDIT: Or On Nut Night Market, because that place is loving hilarious. I know they say there's a ThaiVisa bar on Soi 7, but On Nut Night Market is clearly the actual constituency of ThaiVisa.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 25, 2014

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
The kind of bar where you buy a bottle of hard liquor and share between your friends spells trouble for me. We got a Black Label and because I'm a genius I drank on the rocks alternating with spoonfuls of tom yum. Apparently I repeatedly demanded the band play an English song, could have worked out not so well for me but my Thai companions found it funny rather than grounds for violence. The next day I had to get up and go to a funeral, monks chanting on the loudspeaker best hangover cure

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I do not understand why people drink Black Label. But I am totally down for sitting at a concrete table drinking until the sun comes up.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

XyrlocShammypants posted:

You thing Yangon is lovely and awkward, for reasons I don't care to explain I landed at Mong Hsat "airport" and had to visit some villages north into the mountains. Someone literally offered me rice with blood in it, fresh, from an animal he just slaughtered.

I actually quite like much of the Burmese countryside though. Mae Aw/Ban Rak Thai and the surrounding resevoir into Burma is really chill as gently caress.

If you ain't eatin blood in SE Asia there's, like, a whole world of dishes you're missing. Blood is a good food that people should like.

Fresh raw blood from a bat or whatever is a little bit much though.

For first meetings I prefer to meet at swensons

I used to choose 7-11 but after a couple of times of playing "Which 7-11?" I'm sorry to say that I didn't change my ways and actually still use 7-11. Also Thai people are incapable of meeting someone at X place at Y time. Unless you define X as any time including two hours after what was stated, and Y as any place within 10B by songtaew. This rubs off on long term farnag residents amazingly quickly. If everyone didn't have cell phones you'd never see the same person twice in Bangkok.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I do not understand why people drink Black Label. But I am totally down for sitting at a concrete table drinking until the sun comes up.

It used to be a huge status symbol for the rich in Asia (and the middle class in the US) before people started thinking Single Malt was something superior (it's not -- I mean, it can be, but people who think single means better than blended don't know what they're talking about). But that's probably not what you meant.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 25, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

It's a fair reminder that all human lives are temporary and that you should strive not to be the next dead SEAgoon.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

It's a fair reminder that all human lives are temporary and that you should strive not to be the next dead SEAgoon.

SEA goons are such sweeties that they don't even have a deathpool going on Duckmaster or Reindeer or anyone!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

duckmaster posted:

What kind of work are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

And more importantly, how much are you being paid? Are we talking SE Asian wages or western? Will you get some sort of hardship allowance, is your company paying your accommodation etc?

The country is expensive by SE Asian standards especially to live anything close to a western lifestyle. We got talking to a couple of expats in a western bar in Mandalay and they recommended we go to some hotel the next day for "the cheapest brunch in town".... only $20 each! The more money you've got the better, it's not a place for backpackers to bum around for a few months. Well, not unless they live in a temple and "find themselves".

The communal water pots are a bit weird but I drank from them a few times and had no problems. The water in them (officially) comes from government water plants which treat the water first, although not up to Singapore or western standards obviously. The tap water is considered unsafe, but literally everywhere serves free tea all day everyday so at least you know its been boiled.

There are local/western tiers of prices in many countries but it's very pronounced in Burma and they're not remotely ashamed of it, and in many ways nor should they be. For things like bottled water it might get expensive getting them from a supermarket everyday, so make a Burmese friend and ask him to buy them in bulk for you every now and then. I expect expats in your office will have a system for this. I met a guy in Cambodia moaning about the water prices; turns out he was buying litre bottles from a western supermarket at $1 each; go to a water seller by the side of the road and you can get them for 50 cents. Literally say hello in Khmer and it's 25 cents. Buy a 20 litre dispenser and get it filled for about $3, that's 15 cents per litre. So there are ways round everything! And you should be drinking beer anyway.

As for food, find the Indians and eat curries. There will be Indians, there are always Indians.

Although I did have the worst meal I've ever had at an Indian food stall north of Mandalay which literally tasted like poo

It's mostly legal/corporate stuff and I'm Malaysian, so it's my typical SEA wages plus an allowance which I'm hoping is not poo poo. The Singaporean colleagues are given the same allowance too but they aren't telling me how much it is. They told me though they have a water fountain in the apartment the company's housing me at with regular servicing so that can't be too bad, except I intend to drink a lot of cheap beer and be the That Guy.

A friend told me wine there is ridiculously cheaper than in Malaysia so expect me to fall into lots of potholes!

?

Taiwanese pig blood cakes

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

But if you do then make sure it's memorable.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

It's mostly legal/corporate stuff and I'm Malaysian, so it's my typical SEA wages plus an allowance which I'm hoping is not poo poo. The Singaporean colleagues are given the same allowance too but they aren't telling me how much it is. They told me though they have a water fountain in the apartment the company's housing me at with regular servicing so that can't be too bad, except I intend to drink a lot of cheap beer and be the That Guy.

A friend told me wine there is ridiculously cheaper than in Malaysia so expect me to fall into lots of potholes!

?

Taiwanese pig blood cakes

Do you know anyone named Poon? I knew some Malaysians named Poon in NYC. Not saying all Malaysians know eachother or anything, just like typing Poon with a capital P.

Those blood cakes are actually pretty good and not terribly challenging flavor wise.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

But if you do then make sure it's memorable.

I was going to say make sure to post about it but that seemed a little crass so I went for the buff SE Asia expats comment instead.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sheep-Goats posted:

It used to be a huge status symbol for the rich in Asia (and the middle class in the US) before people started thinking Single Malt was something superior (it's not -- I mean, it can be, but people who think single means better than blended don't know what they're talking about).

The only JW whiskey I've had that didn't taste like poo poo was Green Label. Drinking things as a status symbol is just baffling to me.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

The only JW whiskey I've had that didn't taste like poo poo was Green Label. Drinking things as a status symbol is just baffling to me.

Think of it as showing off how much money you have because you can afford to literally convert it into piss.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

One of the managers at a nightclub I worked at when I was a bartender used to tell a story about a strip club he used to manage in Philly. They had a big display magnum of Moet Rose on top of a case behind the bar -- the bottle was roughly the size of Peter Dinklage. One night he was approached by a patron (or whatever you call strip club customers) who asked him how much the big bottle of rose was.

"That's a display bottle, sir, there's no champagne in there."

There was a pause for a couple of seconds, then, "Well, can you fill it up?"

"Sure. A thousand bucks."

Ten minutes later the manager had the bottle upstairs in the office trying to pull out a champagne cork about the size of a baseball. He dumped in about a half a bottle of grenadine and then had one of the busboys start pouring the cheapest champagne they had into the giant bottle. The guy carried it around with him for the rest of the night.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
Chinese people all drink black label too. They also mix it with soda. You can mix the cheapest, shittiest whiskey with soda and you get the same product: a ladies drink.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Had some Ardbeg last Friday night it was pretty good.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
On this particular occasion I just didn't want to put Blend 285 in my body.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I'm sorry I don't know Poon but I know people with the name "Ericz" and also I used to know a "Power Jackson".

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

My favourite was a guy named Maverick because why the gently caress not.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Fragrag posted:

I just discovered this thread and deyamn Bangkok goons. :stare:

In a week I'll be flying Cathay Pacific to Indonesia from Amsterdam with a layover in Hong Kong. I'll spend three weeks in Indonesia visiting family and doing cool poo poo. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good temporary cellular plan? Preferably with a bit of data in case I need to look something up.

Are you a Dutch goon? Dutch goons are fun crowd.

Oh and any goons stopping over Hong Kong should post here or give me a shout. We throw goon welcome parties all the time for out of town folks. I think it's a nice city to lessen the initial "cultural shock"

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

Dutch _______ are fun crowd.
-- No One Ever

caberham posted:

Oh and any goons stopping over Hong Kong should post here or give me a shout. We throw goon welcome parties all the time for out of town folks. I think it's a nice city to lessen the initial "cultural shock"
It's not possible to get culture shock in the world's largest Chinatown!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I'm sorry I don't know Poon but I know people with the name "Ericz" and also I used to know a "Power Jackson".

When I got to BKK there was a guy in the line of hotel/corporate limo drivers with a sign for a Mr. "Dong Walker."

There was another guy whose sign just said "BOY"

Yeah, that's probably someone's actual name, but eh.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

-- No One Ever
It's not possible to get culture shock in the world's largest Chinatown!

:golfclap:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ReindeerF posted:

-- No One Ever

I like the Dutch. :colbert: I will likely have beers with one this Saturday.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like the Dutch. :colbert: I will likely have beers with one this Saturday.
Some of my best friends are Dutch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
I used to work in a hotel in Scotland and we'd get a lot of Dutch tourists. They'd come into the bar and ask which single malt we recommended (we had about 30 because tourists). Usually we'd just say any old rubbish but when I was working out my notice I really couldn't be arsed and some Dutch guy asked me.

:geert: "Hello. What schingle malt do you recschomend?"

:scotland: "I don't drink single malt."

:geert: "But you are from schcotland! You musht!"

:scotland: "Nobody here drinks single malt."

:geert: "I shee. What whishky do you shrink?"

:scotland: "Bells or Grouse. They're blends."

:geert: "I shee. Are shey good?"

:scotland: "They're cheap."

:geert: "I shee. Should I put the ish in it?"

:scotland: "You can put lager in it for all I care."

:geert: "Ok I will have one of sher Bellsh and one of sher Groush. With sher lager."

:scotland: "What really?"

:geert: "Yesh of coursh. If shish ish how you drink it in Schcotland then I will shrink it thish way too."

He drank about five of them and threw up on a sofa.

Anyway I was born in Scotland, grew up in about four countries and went back to Scotland as a teenager. If anyone asks me where I'm from I'm kind of stuck because if I say Scotland they immediately question my English accent (racists) but if I say England they ask whereabouts and I look like a right idiot when I say, "Err.. Aberdeen." I was in a bar a while ago that had quite a few malts and the barman told some yank I was from Scotland (bastard) so he came over, loudly introduced himself in that American way and launched into a monologue about how wonderful single malt is. He asked my favourite and I said I don't have one and he got a bit rude and aggressive and asked why I was going around pretending to be Scottish when I'm not. I thought, fine, he thinks I'm English, whatever, but then he said, "You South Africans are all the same!" Now I was having absolutely none of that poo poo so I apologised profusely and ordered two Laphroigs and offered him one. I then poured mine into my vodka and coke and said "That's my favourite!". I left before I got into a fight.

So, ReindeerF, was that you? ;)