Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

Sumter County, GA, USA - My mom is trying to keep goats in her backyard and I believe they are considered farm animals. She lives in the city and doesn't seem to understand that this is a bad idea. Is there something I can show her that this is a bad idea and can get her in trouble?

The only question we can answer is whether there is a penalty for keeping the animals within the city limits, and if so, how to find out. The City's Municipal Code (or whatever its called in Georgia) will contain the ordinances that prohibit her having the goats, if there are any.

If they aren't available online, they'll be available at City Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SlayVus posted:

Sumter County, GA, USA - My mom is trying to keep goats in her backyard and I believe they are considered farm animals. She lives in the city and doesn't seem to understand that this is a bad idea. Is there something I can show her that this is a bad idea and can get her in trouble?

I'm not a lawyer, and you should definitely do your own research, but:

The Sumter County Code seems to say having one goat that is kept >25 feet from the property boundaries would be okay in Residential areas, as long as it "is not allowed to become a nuisance". That's obviously open to interpretation, so you could be rolling the dice.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/13121/level3/PTIICOOR_APXAZO_ARTIVGERE.html#PTIICOOR_APXAZO_ARTIVGERE_S4.13ANREDI

quote:

Sec. 4.13. Animals in residential districts.
A.

It is the intent of this section to permit certain uses in R-1, R-2 and RR districts which involve the keeping of limited numbers of domestic animals or pets where it is recognized that such areas are changing from agricultural to suburban residential in character. This section is further intended to minimize problems which may arise from such animal uses and to provide suitable standards for protection of health, safety, welfare and preservation of residential districts from indiscriminate raising of animals.

B.

Uses permitted:

Permitted use provisions for animals in residential districts are meant to apply only outside of the residence on an individual lot and are not intended to restrict the type or number of animals within a residence.

The keeping of livestock, fowl or domestic pets shall not be allowed to become a nuisance.

Domestic pets such as cats, dogs, rabbits or other generally recognized domestic pets may be kept or bred by persons residing on the property for their use and enjoyment. The keeping of swine is specifically prohibited.

Livestock and fowl kept in any residential district shall be maintained at least 25 feet from any property line.

C.

Conditional uses permitted: The following uses are allowed upon a conditional use permit granted by the board of commissioners:

Livestock. Horses, cows, ponies, donkeys and other, similar domestic livestock may be kept, raised or bred for home use and enjoyment; provided only one such animal shall be permitted for each two acres, exclusive of the front and side yards of the principal dwelling; and all livestock shall be contained by fence within said minimum area.

Fowl. Ducks, quail, chickens, turkeys, pigeons, pheasants, etc., may be raised for home use provided such fowl are adequately contained within that property.

D.

Uses prohibited: The keeping, breeding or training of any animals or fowl for monetary gain or profit shall be deemed a commercial business and is expressly prohibited in all residential districts except where such operations may qualify as a home occupation or as a nonconforming use as defined in this chapter [appendix]. The keeping of swine is specifically prohibited.

blarzgh posted:

The only question we can answer is whether there is a penalty for keeping the animals within the city limits, and if so, how to find out. The City's Municipal Code (or whatever its called in Georgia) will contain the ordinances that prohibit her having the goats, if there are any.

If they aren't available online, they'll be available at City Hall.

Even in Georgia they've figured out how to put these things online :colbert:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Devor posted:

The Sumter County Code seems to say having one goat that is kept >25 feet from the property boundaries would be okay in Residential areas, as long as it "is not allowed to become a nuisance". That's obviously open to interpretation, so you could be rolling the dice.

Note that the Americus city ordinances appear to have a '300 feet from the neighbors' rule that would be more restrictive than the County rules. (assuming mom is in Americus)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Edit /\ /\, beaten

Devor posted:

The Sumter County Code...

State Laws > County Laws > City Laws

The above is the county ordinance, and a municipal ordinance (if the house is in the city limits, or within the city's extra-territorial jurisdiction.)

You need to find the municipal ordinance next.

Devor posted:

Even in Georgia they've figured out how to put these things online :colbert:

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
The main thing, and this is important, is that when you talk to her again tell her it's a baaaaaaaaaaad idea.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

joat mon posted:

Note that the Americus city ordinances appear to have a '300 feet from the neighbors' rule that would be more restrictive than the County rules. (assuming mom is in Americus)

I blew right past "the city" since I didn't see any proper nouns other than Sumter County.

Some of us don't assume every county has only one municipality :argh:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Apparently, she already bought the goats.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

woozle wuzzle posted:

The main thing, and this is important, is that when you talk to her again tell her it's a baaaaaaaaaaad idea.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SlayVus posted:

Apparently, she already bought the goats.

Tell her to enjoy the stench and the fact that they will eat everything they can get to. Goats are awful animals and the only good use for them is jerk goat ( or goat curry.)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Kalman posted:

Tell her to enjoy the stench and the fact that they will eat everything they can get to. Goats are awful animals and the only good use for them is jerk goat ( or goat curry.)

You are full of derp.

DERRRRP!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Some cities allow small amounts of livestock for personal use. Like having two egg hens is A Thing in Portland apparently.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

Some cities allow small amounts of livestock for personal use. Like having two egg hens is A Thing in Portland apparently.
Seattle explicitly allows goats, chickens, and bees.

Goats are notorious escape artists, too; they're a serious bitch to keep locked up.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
As always, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Question!

If I want my wife to be able to legally sign documents on my behalf, do I just need to grant her power of attorney? I'm 34, I don't plan on passing away. But I am currently working out of state and my father did just pass away. I didn't plan on returning until work has completed. I don't even know if I will need to sign anything while I'm away, but I'd like to have her readily available if my John Hancock is needed.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kramdar posted:

Question!

If I want my wife to be able to legally sign documents on my behalf, do I just need to grant her power of attorney? I'm 34, I don't plan on passing away. But I am currently working out of state and my father did just pass away. I didn't plan on returning until work has completed. I don't even know if I will need to sign anything while I'm away, but I'd like to have her readily available if my John Hancock is needed.

Speaking practically, a power of attorney document is more for the benefit of third parties than it is for the relationship between you and your wife.

You can orally authorize people to sign things on your behalf, the issue is making other people believe that you did.

Find a local attorney and you shouldn't pay more than a couple hundred bucks to have one done. It will be well worth the cost.

There are hidden issues, like dealing with 3rd parties, the term, revocability, and breadth of the power of attorney that your local lawyer needs to discuss with you before you execute anything.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

blarzgh posted:

You can orally authorize people to sign things on your behalf, the issue is making other people believe that you did.

That might be good for now, especially with the ability to have people call me directly if necessary. I guess if there are any issues with selling the house or signatures need to collect on assets (if this is how things work), power of attorney would be most useful?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Kramdar posted:

Question!

A PoA would be the way to go, but you should put in some limitations as to time and scope.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How much personal information would be required from both parties to make a verbal contract on a voice recording? Would both parties declaring their full names and like "I agree to these terms" be enough? I'm asking from a hypothetical, obviously it is ALWAYS best to get it in writing with witnesses.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kramdar posted:

That might be good for now, especially with the ability to have people call me directly if necessary. I guess if there are any issues with selling the house or signatures need to collect on assets (if this is how things work), power of attorney would be most useful?

I think you missed the point of my response.

joat mon posted:

A PoA would be the way to go, but you should put in some limitations as to time and scope.

What you're asking about is how to give cart-blanch control over your entire fiscal life to another person. If you have concerns about the management of your estate and your affairs during a lengthy disposition, then speaking with an attorney is a good idea.

If you're only concerned with limited transactions which could need your signature, then why exactly won't you be able to have documents fed-exed to you for your signature, or scanned to you via email?

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 18, 2014

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

How much personal information would be required from both parties to make a verbal contract on a voice recording? Would both parties declaring their full names and like "I agree to these terms" be enough? I'm asking from a hypothetical, obviously it is ALWAYS best to get it in writing with witnesses.

Whether or not two parties had a contract, oral or written, is a question of fact.

Plaintiff: "We had a contract for the sale of the business!"
Defendant: "No we didn't!"
Jury: "We believe you, _____________."

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Whether or not two parties had a contract, oral or written, is a question of fact.

Plaintiff: "We had a contract for the sale of the business!"
Defendant: "No we didn't!"
Jury: "We believe you, _____________."

This is a really good way to explain that. Blarzgh is good.

I had a trial yesterday on this exact issue. My client was always going to lose, I told her she was going to lose, I tried to get her to settle because it was a pure fact question for which we had no evidence except "No I didn't!." She lost.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Kramdar posted:

Question!

If it's simple stuff, like Blazrgh said, just have her sign it, it should be fine.

If it's complex, like selling real property, then get a poa from whoever is cheap. In my state I can meet a client, advise on the law, draft and execute the poa in about an hour.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

I don't understand why you would do this in an era where email exists.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"What is a contract?" is a great question. Or "How is contract made?"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
How is contract formed?

how is contract formed
how girl get perfromance

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

How is contract formed?

how is contract formed
how girl get perfromance

This one weird trick CONTRACTS don't want you to know about!

Thanatosian posted:

I don't understand why you would do this in an era where email exists.

I suspect this poster wishes to surreptitiously record another person and later claim they had a contract.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I suspect this poster wishes to surreptitiously record another person and later claim they had a contract.

Dear legal thread: Hypothetically, what is a "Two-party" state?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

This one weird trick CONTRACTS don't want you to know about!

Said poster had best watch it if they're in an all-party-consent state.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Said poster had best watch it if they're in an all-party-consent state.

He's probably up to some shady poo poo all around on this deal.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If it's complex, like selling real property, then get a poa from whoever is cheap. In my state I can meet a client, advise on the law, draft and execute the poa in about an hour.

My father's house is in probate. I just can't depend too much on docs getting sent to me in a timely fashion. That sounds like the best thing, since I'm just trying to help speed everything along. Thanks for all the advice.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kramdar posted:

My father's house is in probate. I just can't depend too much on docs getting sent to me in a timely fashion. That sounds like the best thing, since I'm just trying to help speed everything along. Thanks for all the advice.

If you're the executor you should speak to a probate attorney. If you're not the executor they should have the probate attorney do this for you if it's necessary.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soylent Pudding posted:

If you're the executor you should speak to a probate attorney.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
So, hypothetical situation:

A dependent (let's say a young child) is injured on private property and this requires a brief trip to the ER. Somehow, the child's medical insurance company finds out or suspects the accident occurred on private property and sends a letter asking the policy holder for details. The policy holder has no desire to throw the owner/operator of the private property under the bus as the injury was no one's fault. It's unclear if the policy holder can just neglect to respond, so would it be a Bad Idea to just say respond that they were not present and can't give further details?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FordCQC posted:

A dependent (let's say a young child) is injured on private property and this requires a brief trip to the ER. Somehow, the child's medical insurance company finds out or suspects the accident occurred on private property and sends a letter asking the policy holder for details. The policy holder has no desire to throw the owner/operator of the private property under the bus as the injury was no one's fault. It's unclear if the policy holder can just neglect to respond, so would it be a Bad Idea to just say respond that they were not present and can't give further details?

Yes insurance fraud is a bad idea.

e: or acting in a way liable to create the impression you are committing insurance fraud. Like a parent claiming not to have been supervising their child when they were injured but not answering who was supervising them.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 21, 2014

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Yes insurance fraud is a bad idea.

e: or acting in a way liable to create the impression you are committing insurance fraud. Like a parent claiming not to have been supervising their child when they were injured but not answering who was supervising them.

Risking getting caught, having the claim refused, possibly charged with insurance fraud, and ending up in the "risk pool" comprising fraudsters is obviously OP's decision. Some people like to live on the edge.

Also, if I were an insurance investigator handling a claim for a mysteriously injured child, I'd send a report to child services. If anything shakes loose the details, that would.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
See that's the thing, this is an entirely run of the mill scenario, so the investigation is pretty strange. On the other hand, insurance companies these days do seem to be looking for every excuse to pass the buck.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FordCQC posted:

See that's the thing, this is an entirely run of the mill scenario, so the investigation is pretty strange. On the other hand, insurance companies these days do seem to be looking for every excuse to pass the buck.

Well obviously, this is literally how their business model works. Insurance isn't just about a pooled pot of money to pay out for losses, it means that instead of you having no money to sue someone who damages you and getting hosed over, you get your payout and the insurance company still has enough money to hire lawyers to make whoever's really responsible for your damage cough up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FordCQC posted:

IANAL, however, as someone who does work for the insurance industry: it is highly unlikely that it is "unclear if the policy holder can just neglect to respond." Check the policy, and there is almost certainly some sort of clause in there about the policy holder being responsible for cooperating in any sort of investigation by the insurance company. Additionally, keep in mind that making a material misrepresentation is grounds for flat denial in many jurisdictions (they generally do not need to prove fraud for this sort of denial).

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

IANAL, however, as someone who does work for the insurance industry: it is highly unlikely that it is "unclear if the policy holder can just neglect to respond." Check the policy, and there is almost certainly some sort of clause in there about the policy holder being responsible for cooperating in any sort of investigation by the insurance company. Additionally, keep in mind that making a material misrepresentation is grounds for flat denial in many jurisdictions (they generally do not need to prove fraud for this sort of denial).

Out of curiosity, do you know if there are special risk pools for people who defraud, lie or otherwise don't cooperate with their own insurer's investigation? Normally, I'd assume that they just get denied coverage but that option seems quaint in these days of mandated insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

patentmagus posted:

Out of curiosity, do you know if there are special risk pools for people who defraud, lie or otherwise don't cooperate with their own insurer's investigation? Normally, I'd assume that they just get denied coverage but that option seems quaint in these days of mandated insurance.
I don't, offhand, and it's something that may or may not differ by insurance type (i.e. it's possible defrauding your homeowner's carrier could result in you being placed in a higher risk pool on your auto insurance; I don't know).

I will tell you that generally speaking, it's a bad idea to lie to your insurance company, even over a relatively small amount of money. You're probably only going to lie about an insurance claim once or twice in your life, and insurance companies have people in their employ who spend decades doing nothing but catching people lying about insurance claims. Additionally, some jurisdictions have anti-fraud statutes that legally compel insurance companies to investigate when they suspect fraud, so even if investigation is more expensive, frequently they'll do it, anyway.

I think there's an insurance thread in the Business/Finance subforum that could probably better answer your question.